The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by findeight View Post
    Mom got in my face at the gate over the mispronunciation of both.

Can't make this stuff up folks. Forget the creative spelling of common words and names if you ever want it over a PA system.
    You know, I rarely say anything remotely mean spirited on-line, but I have to say, that mom has got to get a freaking life. Really. If you are going to insist on using non-intuitive spellings (which is your right and privilege) you LOSE your right to get in someone's face about it. Really. What a maroon.

But ... I am kinds of proud I got it right, even if I did it by using a different alphabet base.

Default It's at about

It's at about this time that I turn in the direction which I know will produce static while I'm talking on the mic.
    Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Goethe

I think my favorite is when they have a horse that comes into the ring, and you can barely read it, yet they want you to announce it! Haha

one time i actually heard an announcer say: Next in the ring is number ###, the riders name on... dude.... what??? WHAT LANGUAGE IS THIS??? oh, im still on? Oh sorry... next is...

haha he actually spelled it out
    it was HILLARIOUS!!!

Yea - if you're going to come up with "creative" spellings, then expect creative pronounciations. It's your own fault.

My guy Dheacon's name is pronounced like a church deacon. His breeder just added the extra silent "h" to a lot of her homebreds' names to make them unique. Most announcers get it right, but one pronounces it D-Con -- like the rodent killer. I can't blame him though -- he's just trying to make it unique like the spelling.

And give the announcers a break anyway. For example, the REAL Portia's name seems pretty simple -- POR-sha -- that is, if you're Italian or you're into the classics. But if you're Spanish, it's a whole different thing -- Porr-tee-a. I can't blame any announcer at a show in Texas for thinking the Spanish pronounciation might be correct.
    "I don't want to sound like a broken record here, but why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?" Dave Barry

Charyn? For serious?

LOL. I love the "slur" thing. I totally do that to some words I'm not sure of, and just do something in the middle of the options.

When announcers can't even handle my last name (which is a real, easy peasy, English word of very simple pronunciation) how the heck are they supposed to handle ultra-creative spellings?
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

Honorable mention.

I called it as Shock-o-laaa and sort of slurred it (kind of an announcer trick when you aren't sure). Kids name was, get this, Charyn which I translated as Sharon.

Mom got in my face at the gate over the mispronunciation of both.

Chocolate is the winner but just the plain old modern English pronunciation. Kids name was Karen.

Can't make this stuff up folks. Forget the creative spelling of common words and names if you ever want it over a PA system.
    Jeez
    Quote Originally Posted by barka.lounger View Post
    u get big old crop and bust that nags ass the next time it even slow down.

we see u in gp ring in no time.

That's too funny. The least people with creative spellings can do is add a parenthetical pronounciation tip to help the announcer. If not, they risk the announcer resorting to what one did when faced with a rider with a difficult to pronounce first and last name who kept showing up without offering any clues: "Next in the ring is number 283, Fashion Forward, ridden by Jane Doe, for lack of any pronunciation tips."

LOL. I go with Jacques-ah-lot.

I had a TB hunter mare (grey) who's registered name was Dodacia (by Joncia out of Little Dodit (sigh)). The pronunciations I got!!! I said DoH-Day-Sha, but I got DODA-SEE-A,
    DOH-DASH-EEYA, DOO-DA-CEE-AH, etc., etc.

The one time an announcer actually pronounced it "correctly" - as I pronounced it, and then came out with SONORA, instead of Sandra for MY name. ROFLOL My last name is Hispanic and ALWAYS mispronounced, so I'm over THAT.

My last name is easy, its three sylables, and has a "baugh" in it. But Baugh (Baah) often ends up "botch" "bauck" "backer" all sorts of things...

My first name can have three differnt spellings, and three differnt pronounciations. The way I spell mine, should always be prounced the way it is, but I still give a clarification.

If you don't put some clues as to how to prounce your name on your card, its no one's fault but your own if it doesn't come out right.

Now I always give some hints

My name is Sarah. Spelled normally, but I still have gotten things like Say-raw, sah-ra, and many others. I have a friend named cassie who constantly gets called Casey.

Keep your weirdo spellings, but beside the name in quotes write the phonetic spelling. Doesn't hurt anyone and assures that they say it right every time!

Quote Originally Posted by Aubreyyy View Post
    Keep your weirdo spellings, but beside the name in quotes write the phonetic spelling. Doesn't hurt anyone and assures that they say it right every time!
    No such luck.

Most announcers get a newly printed sheet right before the class starts and, possibly, another halfway thru that reflects adds. If it's rated, it's going to have the USEF recorded name only.

Automation and computerized show secretary programs are great but not if you have a weird name.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

I'm waiting excitedly to see how our young horse's name gets butchered. It's not really too off, but I've heard several pronounciations already and she's only 4. We didn't choose it, the breeder did. And, we kind of like it.

"Piaceri"

Any guessers? Not really that hard.

I think I have actually seen Karen spelled that way before - I'm trying to remember where.

(findeight - don't mean to hijack - but I think this is a great thread)

Quote Originally Posted by Aubreyyy View Post
    The dressage show we are going to in August has online entry that has a blank area for "phonic pronounciation". Needless to say, we are using it.

Pee-ah-sure-ee? Pee-ah-scary? Pious-scary?

[quote=dcm;3398372]
    "Piaceri"

Well, only issue, I hope, is where the accent goes. Italian?

peeaSERee?

PEEaseree?

peeASeree?

You realize you are going to get Patcharee, Pickaree and Peacesiree as variations.

Yes, it's going to be fun!

Pee-ah-scary - She's been that on occaision! I might have to make a change just for the dressage show.

It's actually pronounced pee-AH-cherry. At least that is how the breeder said it. I have no clue.

The breeder was on an Italian kick for a few years with his fillies. I told my dtr to buy the colt - his name was Garrett.
    Last edited by dcm; Jul. 29, 2008 at 08:11 PM. Reason: forgot to mention pronounciation

Charyn = Karen?

Seriously?

[insert eye-rolling smiley]

I get using a foreign name for a horse, but don't make up some crazy spelling just because it looks cool! Especially for your kid! All it's going to do it cause them embarrassment when no one can pronounce their name correctly.

Oh, for goodness' sake. If you're going to invent a crazy spelling for a word/name, expect crazy pronunciations.

I ride a mare called Irish, and I'd like to show her as "Tir na nOg" (it's Gaelic). How would you pronounce that? How many people actually KNOW the correct pronunciation? I may go with the second choice if it's too unlikely that the first name can be pronounced. (Second being "Queen B." Guess what the "B" stands for .)

Quote Originally Posted by amastrike View Post
    I ride a mare called Irish, and I'd like to show her as "Tir na nOg" (it's Gaelic). How would you pronounce that? How many people actually KNOW the correct pronunciation?
    I had a great uncle fluent in Gaelic-I'm sure he was pronouncing correctly. Not a particularly attractive sounding language. I saw the spelling too...and would not even try Tir na nOg. Fact it looks like a typo. You are going to get Tiranog, if you are lucky. Nobody is going to know what it means anyway...except, maybe, my great uncle would have but he's long gone.

Maybe you can find something a little easier in Gaelic? I've seen some in song titles that would be pretty smooth.

Queen B is overused and everybody knows what the B stands for, wouldn't use it even if it is easy to say.