The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by JustABay View Post
    People who endlessly cluck at their horses.
    Thank you! It is Cluck not Kiss! Bugs me when people say "kiss" instead of cluck.

Children in shadbellies.

Children in leadline classes with gigantic obnoxious bows in their hair. They're cute - ok - I get it. No need to blind me.

Children in tall boots.

Children in general.

Unlike RR - my husband has not irked me today. He was in his man cave (woodshop) most of the day.

Homer irks me. Homer ate a sliver of cucumber and then went in the bedroom and threw up next to MY side of the bed. Homer is a dog.

Horses rubbing out their braids before Opening Meet.

The skunk who comes into the mudroom at night irks me.

Tumbleweed irks me because he keeps going into the haveaheart trap I set out for the skunk.

Did I mention children in shadbellies yet? Because that really irks me.

Chiggers. 'nuff said.

Ticks. 'nuff said.

Frozen hoses. Very irksome.

People who wash the sand off their horse's legs into the wash stall drain irk me. They usually also wash manure down the drain. Then it plugs up and spreads across the wash stall. Then someone (not them) gets stuck cleaning out the drain.

They don't sweep the grooming stalls after they use them, either.

"Why is that horse blindfolded?"

SA Ferrana Moniet
    Not goodbye--just waiting at the end of the trail.
    My bloggity blog: Hobby Horse: Adventures of the Perpetual Newbie

I never thought I would be the one saying this. I am a mother of small children BTW.

My gripe is pain in the keester children at the barn. My BO has a woman living with them. Well she has a 2ish little boy who is a MONSTER! I try to drive down the driveway to the barn and the child is in the middle of the drive. The mother just yells at him instead of going to get said child. Then I go out to get my horse. Who is very tolerant of children usually since he has been with since Odin was 2 (He is now 5) and Kane is now 19 months old. My horse heard this kids voice and tensed up. I hear the mother saying to the kid in question "That is not your horse honey." The kids started shrieking... Instead of taking the kid in the house the kid continued to shriek. Making both Skip and I tense. He tried climbing the gate. Made my ride absoultely miserable (lots of spooking and bolting)with the kid ducking in an out of the arena fence. When they finally went in I then had a relaxing ride.

Oh and there is a dog too. (belongs to the same lady) An American Bulldog looking dog. As I try to drive in the beast tries to bite my tires. When I get out of my truck it grabbed my pant leg. I kicked the dog as hard as I could. I admit it. Sent it yipping. It went after my horse and he double barrel kicked out.

Trust me I am not happy right now and will be talking with the BO.

People who say that using spurs or a whip (within reason, of course) is cruel.
    People who act like they know everything.
    People who don't do anything for their horse except mount up, ride it, and unmount, and then hand their horse to their parent/trainer/groom/whoever for them to care for.
    People who let their horses walk all over them.
    People in situations like above who get mad when someone is handling their horse and discipline it for walking all over them!
    When I have to handle a horse who walks all over me, is mouthy, shoves his/her head into me etc.
    Horses who paw or move all over the place on the cross ties.
    People who throw a b*tch fit when they don't place well at a show (adults and kids included).
    Kids expecting mommy and daddy to do everything for them.
    Teens expecting mommy and daddy to do everything for them AND pay for everything!
    "People ask me 'will I remember them if I make it'. I ask them 'will you remember me if I don't?'"

At this moment? My horse's back...because it does not fit my saddle that I LOVE and is also the only one I own. So I need a new saddle and my dear wonderful fiance (who really is wonderful) thinks that spending more then a couple hundred dollars on a saddle is insane. He also doesn't want an explanation about saddles and pricing just wants the cheapest one I can find...grrr

I HATE saddle shopping...

For what is it worth I think small children fall in to the same category as dogs at the barn. Put a leash on them...I wore a leash as a child and turned out just fine thank you...your child will too. I really don't want to get sued because your little punkin ran up behind my horse and spooked it causing my horse to kick and kill it. Same goes for small children running up to my dogs that don't know them I love children, but I expect them to behave!
    Last edited by Dance_To_Oblivion; Jul. 28, 2008 at 07:35 PM. Reason: oops...funny spelling!

Warm ups where people who can't ride a straight line, turn, regulate pace, etc. are collected in a small area getting ready for dressage, cross country, or stadium. It's the most terrifying experience I've had in a long time.

That, and my horses CONSTANTLY somehow breaking washbay hose/waterline (it's in the pasture).

And flies.

Ex-boarders who have been asked to leave bad-mouthing the barn (completely unnecessarily) for years afterwards. They were ASKED to leave because of their behavior. If it were the other way around I could understand, but that just pisses me off. Especially when there are lots of other boarders there who have been there for years and aren't complaining.

Prospective boarders who show up unannounced when the website clearly states that all visits are by appointment only and they tell you "I know it says X but I wanted to come by anyway". Did I mention this tends to happen around feeding time when we have NO TIME to speak to them and end up looking rude? We really do want your business, but if I'm trying to bring the stallion in past a herd of mares in heat that's not really the safest thing!

Barn staff who treat boarders like idiots. I am not one of them, I promise!

Chasing lesson people for their monthly payment that's three months overdue.

Now for things I like

Ex-boarders who recommend your barn and send you Christmas cards every year.

Prospective boarders who arrive 15 minutes early for their appointment. Seriously, I like people who are obsessively punctual.

Boarders who insist on paying double for their horse's ridiculously unruly mane to be pulled. I usually don't "remember" to charge people for this anyway.

A camp full of 12 beginner children who behave well all week, making it infinitely easier on their overly tired instructor. Thanks, kiddies!

I have been thinking and could not find anything that "irks" me.
    I do feel saddened with people that are illogical.
    It is a shame to see a mind go to waste, that can't or won't follow a thought to it's conclusion.

I see that also reflected in their horses, that never know what to expect next, becoming either dull or hyperalert.

I know what really irks me...

Not being able to find a job so I can afford to start riding again!
    "Wost Case Ontario..."

Quote Originally Posted by equusrocks View Post
    I know what really irks me...

Not being able to find a job so I can afford to start riding again!
    A solution for that is to go work with horses.
    That is what I did and it works.

Bad mannered horses.

People that let their horses walk all over them. Um... hello? You = 100 something lbs... horsey = 1000+lbs. It's not like you are going to hurt them if you give them a smack when they are being bad.
    Last edited by Bluesy; Jul. 28, 2008 at 06:33 PM.
    “We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”
    Kurt Vonnegut, Mother Night

Ooo I thought of more:
    As Milocalwinnings said, people that just ride and then hand THEIR horse to groom/trainer/etc... I remember reading a post on here somewhere about a lady that once asked some one that she thought was a groom to come and raise her stirrups for her. OMFG I would lose it on some one like that.
    Children in general. Especially when you're riding in the ring and there's a kid riding in there too with a parent watching and not saying ANYTHING about watching out for other people. One day I left because I was getting too pissed. This kid would materialize on any line my mare and I were on. WTF...she'd just STOP and stare at my mare. I know she really likes my horse but come on...no you will never, ever, ever, ever, get to ride her, lead her, groom her, etc...get over it!
    People that NEVER ride outside of the ring.

Minor annoyance... adults talking "baby talk". Now I understand if they are talking to an infant, but to each other that's a different story.

For all of those who's horses go "poo".
    "Have a Coke and a Smile"

7HL is my new hero! Horses do not "poo"! For the love of God, they poop, crap, or in my world do something that is called something much more colorful - but if I hear or read the word "poo" one more time I'm going to go wonky on someone! That is what irks me!

Others:
    -boarders and students who don't discipline their horses and then treat me like Hannibal Lecter when I do it for them. You pay me to handle Dobbin - he's going to learn to behave dang it!

-students that are constantly late. I'm not going over you're scheduled time no matter what. I don't care that I am the one obsessivly on-time horseperson on the planet - I'm going to start and end on-time. Period.

-students who expect Dobbin to perform perfectly all the time at shows but aren't willing to put in the practice and/or time and effort at home. If you don't ever ride your horse chances are he won't do well at the show. If you can't figure that out perhaps you need to go to a different barn where there are horses like that. I'm sure they're out there. Maybe not on this planet, but they've got to be out there.
    Come to the darkside...we have cookies.

Oh my, I have a lot of things that irk.

People who leave their horse tied to, or in, the trailer, unattended.

haynets by trailer almost hanging to ground, with said unattended horse left to get his foot caught in the net.

People who have money, but are too cheap to buy a saddle that actually FITS the horse.

People who yank on their horses mouth because they didn't win the round(temper tamtrum, anyone?)

People who brag that they have the best tack etc, when they actually don't. I hate braggers!!!!!

Know it alls who can't and won't keep their mouths shut!

People who whine and balme the horse when they have a shitty round, even though it's obviously rider error.

People who do nothing with thier horse all year, and then yank it out of the field to go on a hunter pace or some such event that is meant for fit horses.

Yadda yadda, I could go on and on....

I agree with the small children and dogs, both unattended. When I leased a horse a few summers ago, I had her cross-tied in the wash stand, outside. The owner's idiot pit mix (friendly but stupid) was running around and ran right up behind her hocks, barking and snapping. She flipped over backwards and broke the halter, fortunately not herself.

Yesterday had my horse and my friend's horse tied in the aisle of a barn we were showing at. Three-year-old girl comes trotting along right behind my horse's back legs, stops between the two horses to stare up at them and pet them, and then runs around behind the other horse's back legs. Thank god they're both half-asleep and friendly. No adult in sight and nobody near enough to get to her in time if an accident happened.

Pushy horses also annoy the heck out of me--I hate leading or working with other people's horses when they have no manners about leading or respect for my space, and I'm reluctant to discipline them when they don't belong to me.

[QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by To the MAX View Post
    I really don't usually complain, but today I really need to vent! Go ahead and get your frustrations off of your chest here too!

customers for hay who call and wake us up on Sunday mornings to complain/order/ask/whine/confirm SOMETHING about their stupid hay...grief...we are 6 days a week daylight to dark already...is that not enough????
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

Default Oh boy

Ahem..

People that claim their horses are sooo great, when they're not.
    People who have it made, but whine about how life sucks.
    Gnats.
    My tall boots.
    Recieving unsolicited commands on how to clean tack/ride horse/muck stalls/you name it, from people that have no clue.
    Being blamed for someone else's problems when I have absolutely nothing to do with it.
    Nosy people.
    Spoiled rich kids on zillion dollar horses.
    When spoiled rich kids sneer at you for not placing as well with your- well, NOT zillion dollar horse.
    Horses that won't load.
    Horses with bad ground manners.
    People who assume their horse will be trained while turned out in a field, then wonder why their precious pookikins isn't trained.
    When a horse is wanting for something, but the owner doesn't bother. SOMEBODY will take care of the horse, right?
    When my horse gets lame.
    Stupid People.
    When people laugh when I tell them I'm exhausted after a day at the barn. "What's so hard about it?"
    Macho guys who claim that they can do that, too. Then talk about how they'll beat the horse up if it doesn't cooperate. Oh. My. Gosh.

OK, wow that was fun! I'm going to go ride now before I send myself spiraling into a really bad mood from all this complaining