The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Default Things that irk you?

I really don't usually complain, but today I really need to vent! Go ahead and get your frustrations off of your chest here too!
    What are some things that irk you at the barn? Here's mine:
    This one girl that I sometimes ride with has a horse that is really not suited to the discipline she chooses. OK, that's fine with me, as long as you love your horse, go for it! But this girl uses every opportunity to tell everyone else how wonderful this horse is. Then, when her wonderhorse does something stupid (which is often, because he is not the sharpest tool in the shed) she makes excuses for it and often blames other people for its spooking and misbehaving, when the person could be doing something so completely ordinary that it shouldn't spook even the dumbest horse. The thing that really got me was that the other day, she made a comment that he is the prettiest horse in the barn. Come on, everyone thinks their horse is the prettiest, but it's just rude to say that out loud. Whew, I feel much better now. Just had to get it off my chest, and I don't like to gossip.
    Anything you need to vent about?
    My CANTER cutie Chip and IHSA shows!
    http://www.youtube.com/kheit86

There is 1 girl where I board that has been every where and met everyone and remembers the date and time it happened-and who she was with. We are talking back to the 70's. It's always, Oh, I've had that happen, I remember back in July of '72 when BNT (my best friend at the time) and I were at Madison Square Gardens (or some such place) with our 17 hand triple registered ???, and a horse did that same thing, blah, blah, blah. She does this the whole time you are grooming, while you're riding, and doesn't seem to notice that we all just walk away giggling!
    Don't toy with the dragon, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup!

Oh lord, I think I know that girl. She must be related to the one I am going to talk about. This girl is the exact same only about racing. Even if she was right all the time she would be abrasive but she isn't. One time she was galloping this horse that moved, and looked, like a slightly overweight Corgie. It galloped around half sideways and clipped its fetlock with a stray hoof and made a little nick in its leg. I don't know if she had just read a book or what but instead of looking at it and realizing (after, oh, 20 years riding racehorses) that its just a nick, she went on about how it must be a bursa (because of its location) or maybe it was an ocelot. Eh? You have to be kidding me. I was literally speechless. Please note that this is the same person who (after 20 years galloping at the track) looked at a picture of a horse in a hand gallop and asked why it was just trotting around.

A girl I board with borrowed my instructor's saddle. She ended up not using it and it has been sitting on a saddle rack on the main aisle for over a month, it now has a thick layer of dust on it because she didn't bother covering it and hasn't cleaned it. She also is constantly setting the other saddle she borrowed on my saddle rack because hers is covered with her jumping saddle that she can't use because its billets are cracking from lack of care. I cringe every time I walk by my instructor's saddle. I'm about ready to clean it because I can't stand dirty tack or to see other people treat things that don't belong to them like that.

This mom and daughter combo at my barn. To their defense, they do mean well but they are so clueless they should NOT be horse owners. They should both be taking lessons and learning about horse care 101. The mom even said out loud once at a saddle club meeting "Well, if this place has horses to lease or lesson horses I probably wouldn't have bought our two." *facepalm* They also happened to befriend the village idiots at the barn and hang on everything the village idiots say. Of course the village idiots flocked to them, they were new people and the only ones that would talk to the village idiots because they were trying to be nice and didn't know better. It has went so far one of the village idiots told the mom that she felt heat in her mare's shoulder. Poor lady believes everything she hears and calls the vet. The vet comes out and says "Why am I here again? There's nothing wrong with your mare!" Both of the village idiots are "helping" the mom and daughter with their horses too. God help them. Idiot 1 has a horse she can't ride worth a sh*t and wears freaking ROCK GRINDERS while kicking and yelling at her saintly old gentleman of a gelding. Idiot 2 has an INSANE horse that a clinician straight up told her is absolutely dangerous the way it just explodes.
    Sorry this was long. I don't gossip at the barn or tell anyone anything about their horse. I don't want to be that person that has some kind of advice for everyone, UNLESS some one specifically asks my opinion. I'm the person that the mom and daughter will tell me something one of the idiots told her that is completely ridiculous and I'll say something like "Oh, cool...so how was your ride today?" and change the subject.

Pet peeve: getting a call (or text message) at noon asking a favor to feed so-and-so's horse that evening. It really takes only a few extra minutes to throw another flake or two, but I HATE last minute requests. We're at a 100% self-care facility, so there's a lot of mutual back scratching going on. But last minute requests--especially three days in a row, grumble--bug a bit.

This person is always quick to say "Sure, no problem!" when I ask for a feeding, so she's very helpful. But seriously...grumble.
    SA Ferrana Moniet
    Not goodbye--just waiting at the end of the trail.
    My bloggity blog: Hobby Horse: Adventures of the Perpetual Newbie

The lady across the road that used to say my horse was "abused" because he stood in mud in the springtime. There was a high spot in the pasture that was always dry, and his stall was always open for him to go in and out as he pleased, but he liked the muddy corner, apparently because it gave a good view of the neighborhood.

I just couldn't convince her that he wasn't grounded to that one spot. It's not like having a kid and telling him he has to sit in the corner. He chose it.

I also can't stand people who feed your horse stuff you expressly tell them he can't have...like tons of carrots! Same woman/horse...vet said cresty, fat pony like horse needed to lose weight, and to think about testing for IR. He suggested avoiding carrots, apples, molasses. Horse was getting grass hay and TC Lite. I ask them to stop feeding the horse carrots. I go to work, come back and find handfuls (literally) of wilted topped garden carrots strewn in the pasture. I don't know how many he ate but the ones he didn't were plenty...

I can't imagine what else they fed him but I eventually ended up moving him. I couldn't even fart in the pasture without them rushing over to see "what the fuss was about."
    "Wost Case Ontario..."

OP: I tell my horse every day that he is the prettiest horse in the barn. Well, handsome-est, he is a gelding after all.

FREE TACK/APPAREL ADS: BITS AND BARTER BOARD: http://bitsandbarter.proboards.com/i...ay&thread=5450

Naters - as do I, because naturally I think he is... but would you go up to someone else grooming their horse and say, "my horse is prettier than yours?"
    My CANTER cutie Chip and IHSA shows!
    http://www.youtube.com/kheit86

Yeah, I would. But so would the other ladies at the barn to me.

"My horse is the prettiest"

"No, MY horse is the prettiest"

"No, your horse has a hair out of place"

"Well, your horse has a cowlick!"

"Well....... your mama!"

... but we are an odd group.

FREE TACK/APPAREL ADS: BITS AND BARTER BOARD: http://bitsandbarter.proboards.com/i...ay&thread=5450

People who THINK they can ride because they put in a few rides 15 years ago. You know the conversation. When it comes up that you have horses, "Oh, I used to ride a few times, and I was good, too, because I NEVER fell off. Never met a horse that could unload me. Have you fallen off?"

Yes, and you don't know how much I'm tempted to introduce you to my mare who would broaden your education quickly. Her idiot tolerance is nil.

I don't mind the horse clueless who don't mind learning new things, but the macho cowboys (nothing against REAL cowboys, who act differently) who think they are God's gift to equinedom because they stayed on a few times years ago drive me nuts.

Oh yes, the villiage idiots. They finally caused me to move barns. I used to give a few lessons at the barn where I boarded, and then I discovered that this person would start contradicting everything I was trying to convey to my students. Things such as, "You don't need to be able to control your horse on the ground, just climb up and ride." When I found out that any of my students were going to this person for advice, I informed my student that she probably needed to find another instructor. This villiage idiot was jealous if complete attention wasn't given to her, so she would find a way to bad-mouth anyone who tried to legitimately give instruction. I got along just fine with any students that did not board there, but finally had to make the decision that I wouldn't give any lessons to fellow boarders. After a few months of the drama I left and haven't looked back!

Quote Originally Posted by vbunny View Post
    Oh lord, I think I know that girl. She must be related to the one I am going to talk about. This girl is the exact same only about racing. Even if she was right all the time she would be abrasive but she isn't. One time she was galloping this horse that moved, and looked, like a slightly overweight Corgie. It galloped around half sideways and clipped its fetlock with a stray hoof and made a little nick in its leg. I don't know if she had just read a book or what but instead of looking at it and realizing (after, oh, 20 years riding racehorses) that its just a nick, she went on about how it must be a bursa (because of its location) or maybe it was an ocelot. Eh? You have to be kidding me. I was literally speechless. Please note that this is the same person who (after 20 years galloping at the track) looked at a picture of a horse in a hand gallop and asked why it was just trotting around.
    Ocelot?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocelot

Maybe an osselet?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osselet

(Happens to the best of us.)

PA, where the State motto is: "If it makes sense, we don't do it!".

At the moment, my husband.

People who are obliviots when it comes to horses! Who think that they can keep their horses in a stall for twenty-three and a half hours a day, feed them a lot of feed and then think they should be able to ride them without incident, or have them not colic.... Who don't know there is anything physically wrong with their horse until the horse actually falls down.... Who take their horse out after Winter break and ride them hard for an hour--no conditioning first....

People who think they and their horses are better than my horse and I.... My horse can run rings around your horse and my horse is permanently lame!!!!! I'd put my horse up against your horse any day of the week and still come out on top....
    "Happiness equals reality minus expectations." ~Tom Magliozzi~ of the infamous duo, Click and Clack Tappet, Car Talk hosts. RIP, Tom 6/28/37-11/3/14

People that will stop and watch you while your horse is acting like she never heard the word dressage for some strange reason known only to her, and will make endless, stupid suggestions like you haven't already thought of or tried that.

My TB mare was perfect for that bless her old retired soul. I would hop off, hand them the reins and say, "Maybe you should show me what you saying." Then I would step back and watch the show.

She was never mean, but within fifteen minutes they would hop off, hand me back my reins and walk away. Good riders would last twenty. And if they managed to straighten her out they would become my heros.

God love her she's contrary - and I'm still nuts about her.

...the boarder that thinks she is the barn manager irks me. This woman is nuts and I want her nowhere near my horse.

This is the same woman who announced to me last week that she was teaching her horse to piaffe by smacking his legs with the whip so he picks them up. Do I even need to mention that she doesn't actually ride dressage?

Needless to say, her horse is ruined almost beyond recognition. She lunges him by running around the ring next to him to make him run. He's a nasty, spoilt, pushy gelding who one day is going to deal her some real damage - and I don't want to see that, but if she continues on her present train-wreck journey of "training" him, that is exactly what is going to happen.

Aiee.

My list?

Can be summed up as 'people who don't pay attention'.

As in:
    --the horse is standing in a stall, all tack on, reins draped down. And they are surprised when reins get stepped on/caught on something and are broken.
    --riding down the trails, mouth going 900 mph, no attention on where they are going. And get kicked / bit / swiped by a tree.
    --riding down trails we have been on dozen of times, and have no idea where they are (see 'mouth' above).
    --getting ready for a show and don't have a packing list, which should be checked 2 or 3 times. And get to the show missing something critical -- which they then need to borrow from me.

Attention to details makes all the difference -- tend to the details and the big stuff takes care of itself.

*star*
    "Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit."
    - Desiderata, (c) Max Ehrman, 1926

People who endlessly cluck at their horses. SHUT UP ALREADY! It's not working he's not going any faster!!!

People who don't know the arena etiquette and try to run me over

People who have horses with stall guards for their stalls who think it's ok to walk away and leave the door open while the sour POS inside is trying to kill my horse as it walks by

Slobs

I'm tired and these are all that come to mind right now

Quote Originally Posted by ShotenStar View Post
    My list? Can be summed up as 'people who don't pay attention'.
    Yup, so many people I know you would swear their eyes were painted on. Cherry - Obliviot (which I take to mean idiots who are oblivious to the fact that they are idiots) - I LOVE IT - that is soooooooooo a word that should be in the dictionary.