The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Default Independence--Bold Ruler's full brother

Learn something new every day.

Independence was an extremely successful steeplechaser. Might help explain why Bold Ruler was so good for sport horses.

Might be better to have Independence than BR himself.

I am drooling at this pedigree.
    http://www.pedigreequery.com/royal+declaration
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Love that pedigree - too bad no progeny are recorded.

I owned a mare about 20 years ago that was by Independence. Her name was Gladden Pell. I used her as a jumper and then as a dressage horse after I had children. She preferred the jumping! At her (and my) first dressage show, she happily jumped out of the ring. She was approved by the AHHA and she had one filly that I sold to an event rider that ended up long listed for the Pan Am games. She also produced a gelding that was the Intermediare dressage horse of the year for the AHHA. I eventually sold her when I bought Gold Luck and concentrated on breeding Hanoverians. She was one of my favorite mares of all time.
    http://www.rollingstonefarm.com
    Large Oldenburg and Hanoverian breeding farm
    Standing Shakespeare RSF, Fhitzgerald, Sir James and the homebred stallion Dheputy.

MoSwanson, do you happen to know anything about the damside?

I was at allbreedpedigree, and they have Francille as second dam. They also had an Independence by a KWPN stallion who was younger than Gladden Pell as the sire, so I corrected that by making the Bold Ruler brother the sire. The TB Pedigreequery lists a 1927 French mare named Francille who is by Battersea, one of the sons of SeaSick. If that's the mare, it's no wonder that her granddaughter by Independence loved to jump!

The Jockey Club doesn't have The Ardvark on file, and they show 4 Francilles, including a 1955 model by Junior Kay. I can't see the jump genes in the 1955 mare, who was bred in Maryland.

Wow, I had no idea he had a full brother. Are there any pictures out there? I wonder if it's possible to do a search for him as a progenitor.
    Sportponies Unlimited
    Athletic Thoroughbred crosses for the highly motivated, smaller rider.

I found out about Independence in one of Dr. Birdsall's articles on the Sport Horse Breeder site. Then I did a progeny search on pedigree query to come up with Royal Declaration and did a pedigree search at the JC to come up with 157 registered foals by Independence.

Denny knew him personally, I think.

Independence set new track records for chasing (?) at Belmont and Saratoga for 20 furlongs (2 1/2 miles).

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    I found out about Independence in one of Dr. Birdsall's articles on the Sport Horse Breeder site. Then I did a progeny search on pedigree query to come up with Royal Declaration and did a pedigree search at the JC to come up with 157 registered foals by Independence.

Denny knew him personally, I think.

Independence set new track records for chasing (?) at Belmont and Saratoga for 20 furlongs (2 1/2 miles).
    ... which makes him yet another interesting example of supposedly sprint bred horses who proved their speed could go a distance.

there were adds for him in the old Practical Horseman. Probably COTH as well.

When I was at Virginia Intermont in the late 70s there was an Independence colt training with Jimmy Cantwell. He was a big talented bay. I have wondered whatever happened to him every now and then-he was the kind that stuck with you.

Default Independence

The first time I saw him, maybe mid 70s, I was riding up that alley between the Huntington indoor ring, on the left, and the paddocks, on the right.
    (the same way we hacked back to our trailers at the event last weekend, for those who ran there)
    Anyway, above the indoor, there was a long grass paddock, and I saw this big brown horse standing at the upper end. When he saw my horse, he galloped down that lane beside me, and I swear it was like watching a storm driven cloud fly across the sky, smooth, and powerful, and effortless.

Later that day I learned that Independence had arrived from Md, where June Mc Knight had just bought him.

His foals were talented, but, like so many Nasrullah grandsons and daughters, not always for the faint of heart.

He was a top steeplechaser that's for sure. I bred to him when he was in New Jersey in 1968.
    Anne
    -------
    "Where knowledge ends violence begins." B. Ljundquist

Well, Anne, don't just leave us hanging!

Tell us about your foal. Please.

No foal But I find find and buy a wonderful filly by the Welsh stallion Ardmore Footlight out of an Independence mare. She could jump anything at any height at any horse distance. Very brave.
    Anne
    -------
    "Where knowledge ends violence begins." B. Ljundquist

Did he have any sons that are still around today?

Default Independence

If I'm not mistaken, I remember Independence as being the sire of Idle Dice.
    Also, we were at a TB sale many years ago somewhere in Ohio and saw a perfectly gorgeous broodmare by Independence. I have never forgotten her.

Quote Originally Posted by snaffles View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, I remember Independence as being the sire of Idle Dice.
    I think that would be Hay Hook.

I stand corrected, Hay Hook is right!

This is quite a story. I am look ing at takign a Rare Brick son...TB and racing him as a four year old...lost my mind...but I do love the Therbies

Quote Originally Posted by denny View Post

His foals were talented, but, like so many Nasrullah grandsons and daughters, not always for the faint of heart.
    No kidding, Denny
    I had an Independence son that I bought as a yearling. He was such a tough horse that many, many people advised me to get rid of him and feared for my life. One of the people that helped me at the time said,"Well, if you can survive until he is six, you might have a pretty good horse". Ah, youth.

He was so dangerous to hack that he actually changed my career ( I had bought him as an event horse prospect) and wound up training him to Grand Prix. He had a decent piaffe and passage and could do one tempis forever.

We taught him to jump and one year, George Morris flew up to look at some Dutch horses that I had for sale. He wanted to see everything on the farm and finally asked to see the Independence gelding. I jumped him over a bunch of big fences (in my dressage saddle, no less) and GM thought he "had the most class of any of the horses".

Gozzi, who was a very successful hunter in the 70's was by Independence