The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default If you could send a horse out to the best...

Who would it be?
    If you wanted a classical dressage trainer...a very pleasant person who keeps contact with an owner...and of course who takes great care of horses and lets horses be horses. If you goal was to get the horse to Grand Prix but to have the horse shown as they go and are ready and not to show yourself. Assume a talented horse with the ability to do the work. Who would give you the best experience...make it a pleasure to have a partnership with. Thanks PatO

I think it's a very personal opinion, and it depends in the owner's personality, the trainer/rider's personality, and of course the dynamic between your horse, and your trainer.

Sometimes it doesn't work out even when the most phenominal horse is sent to the world's top trainer.

For me, I would send a horse to my original teacher/coach/mentor. I know exactly what the routine is, exactly what the atmosphere is, and all the inner workings of the barn and the people in it. That what makes it a good decision, because I am informed. I know the horse would be comfortable, succesful, and treated fairly while advancing all the way to the top.

The people I lesson with now since I moved, I have a good idea, but am not completely immersed in the programs, so there are a lot of question marks still.

Too bad I don't have a horse
    Nothing worth having comes easily.

Sabine Schut-Kery in Cali. She is all that and then some. Has a FEI level groom that takes care of my baby and tucks him in/handles his turnout/special feed/wraps/laundry/rt medical care,etc. Will ONLY show when absolutely ready and has a work ethic that is outstanding. Honest/talented/the best!!! Pics/videos/telephone updates on a regular basis.

Quote Originally Posted by columbus View Post
    Who would it be?
    If you wanted a classical dressage trainer...a very pleasant person who keeps contact with an owner...and of course who takes great care of horses and lets horses be horses. If you goal was to get the horse to Grand Prix but to have the horse shown as they go and are ready and not to show yourself. Assume a talented horse with the ability to do the work. Who would give you the best experience...make it a pleasure to have a partnership with. Thanks PatO
    Thomas Ritter. The guy studied with von Neindorff. He is really very brilliant.

Willy Arts of DG Bar Ranch, if you can get in there....
    Siegi Belz
    www.stalleuropa.com
    2007 KWPN-NA Breeder of the Year
    Dutch Warmbloods Made in the U. S. A.

Peter Kjellerup in Florida. He is wonderful. Though, I am not sure he still takes in youngsters, but he'd be my first pick.
    ~Equine Jewelry~
    Used Saddles For Sale
    www.divadesigns.biz

Quote Originally Posted by petitefilly View Post
    Peter Kjellerup in Florida. He is wonderful. Though, I am not sure he still takes in youngsters, but he'd be my first pick.
    So that's where he is now! I took 2 lessons with him in PA over a dozen years ago and he was amazing. He lived in eastern PA and came out to western PA a couple of times for clinics.

My OTTB mare did not have a reliable right lead canter at that time. She'd had a year off from the track and I hadn't been riding her very long. If I got her perfectly straight she'd pick up the right lead 50% of the time. It was beginning to look like we might be stuck in walk/ trot classes forever.

If I got her in the correct position to take the right lead, she'd freeze. He hopped on her, with clogs, didn't bother to adjust the stirrups, just crossed them over. He worked on moving her hindquarters way to the right. She got tense, so he just rode her on the buckle. At first all she'd do was stop when he got her in the correct place for a right lead depart. Then all she'd do was canter in place. Then she realized that she was free to go and that it was all right. She did not have a physical problem, it was all in her head. Coming out of the starting gate in the left lead, we wondered? She had raced for 4 years. This reschooling took 13 minutes. I have it on video. From that time forward I was able to get the right lead, no problem. At first I had her move the hindquarters over to the right first, then even that was no longer necessary.

I watched him give lessons to other people in the barn as well and he gave excellent advice. He is a first rate trainer.

Originally posted by grayarabpony:

with clogs

Yup, I have heard that Peter Kjellerup is excellent. Very broad base of knowledge.

Default Peter Kjellerup

Unless there are two Peter Kjellerups, Peter isn't riding or training horses anymore. He and his wife Mandy founded Dansko years ago and its growth and success has kept them both extremely busy.

They have leased their Wellington, Florida facility to Legacy Farms. As far as I know (and I talked with him only a few months ago), he and Mandy are in PA full time with Dansko and his involvement with the horses is vicarious through his daughter, Mette, and his friends and former students.

I worked with them in the 80s for years. They had an enormous impact on my riding and my life....not the least of which was bringing over this 18 year old kid, named Lars Petersen, to work with us AAs during the winter while they went to Florida!

--There are a lot of people who could train and show your horse for you. The good ones can be quite expensive, though.

--I would suggest the most important thing for you based on your comments might be to be able to watch the trainer ride the horse frequently, so you can see exactly how things are going and if you are very particular about are comfortable with how it's done. I also know that can cause tension with a trainer, there are pluses and minuses on both sides.

--But, the ability to stop by and see the training may limit you to someone you can travel to easily and frequently.

-- Just in general, I think it's important to 'check up' on the trainer and be sure the horse is getting worked regularly - even, some would say, dropping in unexpectedly (certainly not after hours, but unannounced). I've seen enough of trainers not doing the work they're paid for, to very regretfully suggest it's worth checking up on most of them from time to time.

--Too, many trainers judge, compete, do clinics out of town. I think it's very important to ask point blank what the arrangements are for while they are out of town. Usually, an assistant rides the horse, but be very sure you are comfortable with the assistant's riding (they're usually excellent) and that there IS an arrangement.

--If the horse is very unfit (training with a top trainer usually requires a much higher degree of fitness), you may consider having the assistant 'leg up' the horse for a few months under the trainer's supervision, if that's available, it might be cheaper.

lets horses be horses.

--If this means many hours of turnout in a grass pasture, not many training stables have that sort of turnout available. That may further limit your choice of trainer - it may eliminate most trainers, in fact...and to be honest, I think that if the horses get plenty of attention, good feed, plenty of exercise and other horse company, they do very well without.

--As you know most horse people are very opinionated, and I wouldn't expect all of even the best of trainer/owner relationships to be 'a pleasure to partner with'. The trainer may have very strong opinions and he or she may have a very different perspective than an owner. If he or she is a good trainer it will, however, be the best way to handle the in-training horse.

Whit Watkins -
    www.whitwatkins.com
    www.spindletopfarm.net
    Home of Puerto D'Azur - 1998 NA 100 Day Test Champion
    "Charcter is much easier kept than recovered"

The Poulins are an excellent choice. I have seen Mike Poulin lean over and apologize to his horse for giving an aid poorly (his giving an aid "poorly" is not noticeable to anyone but the horse). That is how he is.

He is very good.

Quote Originally Posted by papony View Post
    Unless there are two Peter Kjellerups, Peter isn't riding or training horses anymore. He and his wife Mandy founded Dansko years ago and its growth and success has kept them both extremely busy.

They have leased their Wellington, Florida facility to Legacy Farms. As far as I know (and I talked with him only a few months ago), he and Mandy are in PA full time with Dansko and his involvement with the horses is vicarious through his daughter, Mette, and his friends and former students.

I worked with them in the 80s for years. They had an enormous impact on my riding and my life....not the least of which was bringing over this 18 year old kid, named Lars Petersen, to work with us AAs during the winter while they went to Florida!
    No, we're talking about the same one. He was talking about retirement from training/ traveling for clinics when I took those 2 lessons from him 12 or 13 years ago.

I took this question to be more of a "if you COULD"... not necessarily based in reality.

Another strong vote for the Poulins. They make a very dedicated team and work together.

I watched Mike at a show in Florida, warmup then show a horse many had found too difficult to bother with - he got the horse's trust. He warmed up with the reins dropped on the horse's neck, and if he was afraid, Mike was very gentle and sympathetic to him, the horse was petrified of some bystanders and it was just amazing to watch mike work thru that without ever touching the reins.

I think he can deal with anything and bring out the best of any horse.

An incredible horseman.

They seem to love all horses, two sisters ride and train incredibly well and so do both mr and mrs poulin. They have bred and trained many warmbloods but their schoolmaster Herb is a thb. They have worked with many Lusitanos, Andalusians, simply because they enjoy them. His daughter kate rode a 15.1 hand 'pony' (Dutch-Thb cross, just small) to medal in the Pan Am games. Kate is just absolutely incredible, fabulous hands.

You could send your horse to slc.

She knows EEEEVVEEERRYYTHING!

Or you could send it to egontoast who thinks she knows everything...
    Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them, humanity cannot survive. Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Ashby View Post
    Thomas Ritter. The guy studied with von Neindorff. He is really very brilliant.
    I second this whole heartedly. Don't forget Shana, his wife. Actually, if I sent my mare to them I'd want Shana to work with her instead.

Eileen
    Mad Mare™ Studio
    Custom Swarovski®, Czech glass and gemstone browbands in Circlet, Diadem and Tiara styles. Matching stock pins, bracelets and belts.
    http://MadMare.com

Quote Originally Posted by grayarabpony View Post
    I have it on video.

Wow! Anyway to get it to UTube so we can see ?

The ride is on VHS tape and I couldn't post it on youTube without Peter's permission, sorry.