The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Thumbs down A-1 Performance Sires? :(

Anyone have bad experiences with this broker? I thought I had heard good things but I am pretty sure we won't be using their services if we can help it.

Contacted her about frozen semen on a stallion who had died last year. She said she had one dose left and I said I wanted it. OK, fax the form. Problems with the fax at work, couldn't do it. Called couple days later to say I would fax it in am and she says I sold it to someone. I confirmed that it wasn't me she was talking about selling it to but rather someone else. OK, bummer, guess I missed out. BF calls next day, she tells him she has a dose in stock. I call the day after from work so I can fax the form and she says, nope it's sold. I say BF called day before, told it's still available, oh, oops, yes guess it is, go ahead and fax form.

Fax form, successfully. Call to be sure it went through. Yes, went through. Not sure of repro vet to be used yet will call with shipment info and addy in a month or so, no problem.

BF calls today. Broker says "tank problem" and semen ruined. Didn't notify us b/c she "didn't have the phone number" (was on form, of course). I am so upset. We have been excited to get one of the last doses available of this sire and use it for this mare. Luckily we are not scrambling since we bought 5 doses for two mares this year but still, what a HUGE disappointment.

The whole experience was very frustrating and unprofessional. I am not one to badmouth, but I thought I should share my experience since it was so out there compared to what I have experienced in dealing with other frozen semen brokers and also SOs I have spoken with and contacted. I had a bad feeling after all the back and forthing and her not knowing if she had it or not from one day to the next, but then to have it ruined and not even be told our breeding plans were moot was the real kicker. Hoping my experience was the exception not the rule.
    Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved. - William Jennings Bryan

http://www.halcyon-hill.com

Sorry you had to go through that. On the organization side it sounds like things could have gone better. Did she refund your money?

While it is frustrating, I would be thankful that she did not just send the semen and have you go through all the repro work to no avail. I have received previously thawed/bad frozen semen before (not from A-1). Even though the dose was replaced, we were pretty upset at the amount of vet work done on a frozen breeding cycle, even more so about massive infection she got from it.
    www.clearbluefarm.com - a work in progress

I have never had a problem with them. In fact, I would highly recommend them. All I use now when I need frozen. They gone above any beyond for me everytime I have purchased through them.

I did work with a VERY well known broker and had the same issue as Clear Blue. Was a nightmare. Then when I did end up getting the resulting foal was told by the broker they would only submit a breeding cert by another registry I do not use. When at the time I bought semen I specifically only had interest in stallions approved by the registry my mares are approved with. No problem, etc... anything to sell me the semen. Time for cert- different story... ended up costing me more money to register the foal. It's the brokers loss in the long run as I have taken my business elsewhere.

If you have had a problem, move on, find another broker. It is not like there is only one person in the US to get you semen. I don't think outing a company over a private dispute/issue is going to do anything over something you really can't change anyway.

Oh, just FYI, I believe naming someone directly is not allowed per board rules so you might want to edit your post to generalize your problem.

Bushkn...
    consider filing a complaint with the Better Business Bureau.

BBB will not be able to resolve anything for you if you got your refund, but the complaint will be filed, and anyone considering using this company in the future will be able to access their track record through the BBB, and find out if any complaints have been made against them in the past.

It's a very useful service.....
    -Amor vincit omnia-

I've only had good experiences with her. I've always found her to have the best prices. However, I'd be frustrated as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Delkredere View Post
    . . . . Oh, just FYI, I believe naming someone directly is not allowed per board rules so you might want to edit your post to generalize your problem.
    People name those they have had problems with all the time on this board. You can certainly name names based on personal, first hand experience. What you cannot do is make inflammatory charges unless they are backed up with court convictions. You canNOT post on this bulletin board that "Evalee Hunter is an embezeller & horse murderer" unless I have been found guilty in court of doing those deeds. You could say, however, that you have had certain charges brought against me - just as a newspaper would report, "Evalee Hunter has been charged with embezelling money from Delkredere Farm & causing the death of one of their horses". You also should not call people names. I was once called a "soulless toad" & those who did that were admonished not to call me names.

You can certainly email or PM the moderators & they will explain the rules to you. That will let you verify whether I have explained the rules correctly, since my understanding of the rules is based on years of posting on the bulleting board, but NOT based on being a moderator.

Oh, just FYI, I believe naming someone directly is not allowed per board rules so you might want to edit your post to generalize your problem.
    Just an FYI, there are Moderators on the board. I am sure they are capable of Moderating, no need to help out.

I was just stating what I had been told by RB and Erin a while ago in refrence to names, etc..

I do not see how the topic would be too much different in a "Frozen semen broker issues", etc.. not like they were looking for a reccomendation. Was money not sent back/semen not received? I could see if they were asking about others experiences on rectifying situations such as this. That does not seem the case though. Is this topic just to vent/ badmouth them? Just my take on the OP reasoning for posting.

I had a bad exp with another broker and lost tons of money on my exp as well, so should I start a thread just like this about them?? I am sorry but I only see this as a thread to bash a broker. I don't even know this broker personally, other than my 2 business dealings with them, so no, I am not a alter for them.
    Last edited by Delkredere; Jul. 29, 2008 at 09:32 AM. Reason: to correct my post before someone else does!! LOL

I have only had good expperiences, overall, with A-1. I got semen from them last year and this year for two different stallions, and got pregnancies from each on one dose. It did take longer than I expected this year to receive my shipment (ordered last fall and did not get it until April, I think), but apparently there was a holdup in Germany and the broker informed me of the status. She got it to me in time for my mare to be bred on schedule, and it worked, so I am happy.

The OPs situation sounds like a game of who's on first; perhaps there was some confusion or misunderstanding? OP, if you pm me the name of the stallion, maybe I know of an alternative source? Have you checked whether Superior or Judy Yancey can get him? I *believe* Judy sometimes will get a specific stallion on special request; you might see if she can help.

I do not see how the topic would be too much different in a "Frozen semen broker issues", etc.. not like they were looking for a reccomendation. .
    Frankly, I think that is more damaging, as there are only a handful of brokers in this country and being vague means that people start speculating about all of them, and may very well wrongly assume a different one is involved yet not really be able to counter with stories of good experiences. Here, instead, everyone has said that the OP,s experience seems anomolous for the broker, and has vouched for their own good experiences with her.

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeLawyer View Post
    Frankly, I think that is more damaging, as there are only a handful of brokers in this country and being vague means that people start speculating about all of them, and may very well wrongly assume a different one is involved yet not really be able to counter with stories of good experiences. Here, instead, everyone has said that the OP,s experience seems anomolous for the broker, and has vouched for their own good experiences with her.
    Well, it would be wrong for people to speculate also.

I just think people are too quick to believe the bad stuff about a person over the good stuff. Shouldn't it be the other way around?? This day & age it is so much funner to bash a person than lift one up. Sad, but the way the world seems to be these days. People RUN with negativity info on a person- even if they do not know if if may not be true.

I think business relation opinions should be formed from personal experience and kept as such privately between both parties- like a Dr/patient type agreement. Morally it is best to be this way. Good/bad/indifferent. Unless a private reccomendation is asked for, there should be no need to discuss anyone's business dealings- on either side be it customer/business.

I had a bad boarder who never paid on time, neglected her horses, never completed chores as required, etc. I gave her notice to leave. A local barn owner whom I have known for a lon time came to pick this boarders horses up. What could I do? Not right of me to bad mouth her.. what if this boarder was perfect from that moment on? It is for them to form their own experiences from that point on. I have my own, and if asked, would not reccomend that person, the issues are not of public concern- even though I was the one who was "wronged" in that particular situation.

Another example would be that I would not go and post the issues was having with the boarder on my barns BB. the only reason to do so would be to "out" that person- even if just posting factual info. This is the feel I got from the OP. I just think it is a private/business issue between two parties and should remain that way. JMHO

Have used A-1 and would again. Everything went smoothly. Very professional and helpful. No problems at all.
    "Dreams are the touchstone of our characters." Henry David Thoreau
    Touchstone Farm
    www.bytouchstonefarm.com

Delkredere, I am glad that you have had good experiences with the person. I did not. I was peeved about the bizarre communications re:have semen vs no initially, but would not have let that alter my business dealings. However, to not be contacted when the semen you ordered was ruined is definitely sub-optimal. Luckily we have others to use this year, so no harm done in the end other than my disappointment.

And it is not about the money, that is not the problem. I wanted to find out if other people have had predominantly GOOD or predominantly BAD dealings with said broker, as mine was what I consider very poor customer service from the get-go. It is not a bashing thread, it is a thread to say "hey, this happened to me and I was upset, what have your experiences been?"

I am glad so many have had good experiences. I have also received a number of PMs to the contrary. Based on my experiences and what I have found out via COTH, I am unlikely to (attempt to) use this person again unless it is FS I am just DYING to use and can't get anywhere else. I am not saying she is a bad person, a "soulless toad" (creative!), a criminal, or other such thing. I am just discussing my personal experiences.

As for doing what is right, I appreciate that Delkredere feels that my moral compass is askew. I would beg to differ but will leave it at that. In a related note, there is an interesting snippet I just read in Time about companies needing to provide better customer service b/c of the global nature of the marketplace and the possibility that people will discuss it on the internet, etc. The book sounded interesting and is called "A Happy Customer Will Tell 3 Friends, An Unhappy One Will Tell 3,000" or something like that Thinking about getting it. My bosses would be so proud.

And I am being sincere when I say that I am glad others have had some good experiences. That is great.
    Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved. - William Jennings Bryan

http://www.halcyon-hill.com

I think business relation opinions should be formed from personal experience and kept as such privately between both parties- like a Dr/patient type agreement. Morally it is best to be this way. Good/bad/indifferent. Unless a private reccomendation is asked for, there should be no need to discuss anyone's business dealings- on either side be it customer/business.
    But what about accountability? The reason the Fed is/has bailed major companies out is because no one has bothered to hold anyone accountable.

And as far as board is concerned' don't you think the BOs discuss things amongst temselves monthly? They see the 6-figure hunter getting injections 4x a year to get around somewhat sound, and the boarder who is late on one board payment for their sound, healthy horse. Which one is more ethical? I vote for neither but stuff happens.

Flame away.

I have a BAD experience to report in my attempts to use a dose of Calvados that I purchased from a seller on another board. I will not go into the fact that it has been impossible for me to obtain the Bill of Sale that I required as part of the purchase deal which I started asking for in January prior to the purchase to no avail.

The dose was shipped to me and opened for breeding this AM by my vet at a well-known and competent clinic. 3 straws Calvados, 5 straws Prestige!!! I have lodged a protest with OSU who shipped the "dose". My vet says that they must replace the entire 8 straws, ship it to me and pay for the breeding this morning if the three straws do not yield a pregnancy. OSU has been most apologetic...let us see if there is follow-up in practical terms....stay tuned.
    Sakura Hill Farm
    Now on Facebook

Young and developing horses for A-circuit jumper and hunter rings.

I used A1 this year and had no problems at all. She did call back to say that someone had gotten the last doses of a stallion but she went back to a source in this country and found some for me so I was quite happy with her. I do think maybe she is not as young as she once was and maybe like me had a bit of trouble remembering who is who. Who the heck am I to comment on that though as I cannot remember what I went upstairs for any more.

I had way more problems with my Don Schufro semen and it was just in horrid shape (my vet looked at it and asked what the H-LL do you expect me to do with this? I would have better luck with water" I spent thousands and never got a pregnancy. I guess I just was not meant to have a Don Schufro out of this mare. Sometimes frozen just hates me!

Default a-1 per sires

I have heard good and bad about this company I would like to use them for either cornet or for pleasure. I am leaning towards for pleasure. The mare is a maiden mare and amazing, we want to breed her with something great and then start her showing. Being that she is a maiden mare it will be hard enough but we do have great vets and was wondering if anyone has had experience with for pleasure semen and a-1. thanks

Default everyone needs to make sure

they ask any broker they are dealing with how many straws make up a dose. I say this b/c sometimes there can be a misunderstanding on the purchasers part but I also say this b/c when one is expecting a full dose of 8 straws and only 3 of 8 arrive at the vets office.;. Not good!
    I will say I've never had an issue with any of the brokers I've purchased frozen from but know of folks who have had problems.
    "Sometimes you just have to shut up and color."

Default a-1

Thanks if I may ask who have you used?