The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Dressage saddles for short legs, or AP/VSD for dressage?

I am having a hell of a time shopping for a saddle on a budget. The biggest problem? My short inseam! Many saddles practically go to my ankle. I simply do not have a $4000 budget to custom order a short flap model.

Are there any shorter flap model saddles in the sub $2k range? I really need a flap closer to 15" long. Are any of you shorter riders riding in AP or VSD type saddles?

If you find something let me know. Right now I ride in an all purpose saddle or jumping saddle. I did buy a pony Stubben but both of my horses shoulders are now too broad for it and it limited their shoulder range of motion. I'd love to find a saddle that doesn't cost more then my horses did! And I'm only 4'10" with very short legs - to top it off my "pony" is a very wide Mustang

I think trying to find any decent tack to fit a pony is a nighmare...saddle, saddle pads and bridles. Only thing I could suggest is try looking for a junior saddle but I think they will only go up to 16 1/2 in seat.

Best of luck!
    www.trevelyanfarm.com
    Follow us: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Tre...1609022?ref=ts
    Breeders of Sport Horses & New Forest Sport Ponies

Some saddle repair shops will cut the flaps to suit your thigh length. One in Parkesburg, Pa. does that for sure. It may give you more options to get a saddle you and your pony like, and then get it cut to fit your leg. It works for me!
    Anne
    -------
    "Where knowledge ends violence begins." B. Ljundquist

Albion makes one that Debbie McDonald designed and she is pretty small.
    While I haven't been throughly impressed with Albion lately this particular saddle is really nice.
    You should try to find it used. =)
    It's called the Albion Brentina I believe.

I have had this problem too since I am short legged (about a 28" inseam). I have had some luck buying used saddles with short flaps on various website like tacktrader.com, rick's heritage saddlery, trumbullmtn.com - you usually have to read through all the ads as they don't always mention the short flap in the ad header. The Custom Saddlery (mysaddle.com) company makes a shorter flap than most - I think their flap is 15 inch for standard and 14 inch for short - their saddles are not cheap new but if you get familiar with all their model names, you can find them used on the internet. Hope this helps and good luck with your search!

Most saddle brands come in a short-flap option. It might be a custom order but it usually doesn't increase the price - just the wait time. Passiers can come in a short flap. The Passier PSL is already pretty short. I think the Jaguars & Harry Dabbs saddles have fairly short flaps to start with. Call some tack shops & ask them to measure from the stirrup bar to the bottom of the flap. Anything 16" or under is pretty short.

Be wary of cutting flaps because you need the thigh block moved up too, so it hits you above the knee. With some saddles this is easy, others not so much.
    "You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." - The Little Prince

Trumball Mountain had a few that were short flapped... so check there.

A woman at my barn bought a new albion dressage w/short flaps, but i dont know what she paid.

good luck.
    Proud owner of a Spicy mare!!

Default Stubben Scandica........

I have the shortest legs in the barn, well there is one girl that is 11 whose legs are 1 inch shorter but you get the idea! Saddles and saddle pads that are short enough are an issue for me, I found a Stubben Scandica DL that has a short flap option and it was between 2 and 3 thousand and I love it. I have been riding in it for 2 years now and short of a custom saddle (no pun intended) it is the best!

I give a second vote for the Custom Saddlery saddles with the short flap. You can also call their shops. They usually have an inventory of used and demo models with short flaps.

I ended up with a Stubben Krefeld VSD, and I love it. It's the first dressage saddle I've ever ridden in that had the knee roll in the right place I'm 5'3 with a 28 in. inseam. I also tried the Albion short flap, just sitting on a used one at Rick's Heritage, and I liked the way it felt, but it was just too expensive.

Default Try a neidersuss

I have a Kneidersuss with a 15" flap that is great. (My inseam is 28".)
    It puts you in the right position too. A new one is a bit over $2k but I think there are a few on ebay.

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

I'm riding 2nd/3rd in an Ancient Passier PT VSD. Plan to ride it right through GP if the horse still loffs it as much as he does now.

The trick is to find the VSD flap, but with dressage bar placement. You want the stirrup bar UNDER you not out in front. Tough, but they are out there. Look for 'extended' stirrup bar.

I am completely smitten with Ancient Passiers at the moment. Just seem to fit both me and the beasts. Takes about a year to find the right one, in my experience, but... it still can happen.

My DREAM saddle is the tree I have now, with just the PT flaps (which are more forward than modern dressage flaps) in newmarket or redwood. When I win megabucks or powerball (how, I don't know, since I don't play...) I will have them custom make me one from the S/N on the Ancient Passier.
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)