The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

pacificsolo - the ritarose mare or the africa mare? I'm not the best at spotting confirmation flaws, so I like the analysis you all offer...

Buckpasser, mr p, etc are great for eventing. I have a gelding out of a dynaformer mare that will eventually be sold as hunter. Very classic jump, laid back attitude. He can be stubborn, but very smart.

I have heard bad things re: Mr P. I had a grandson that evented Advanced and had straight legs and was an awesome horse but a little hot.

What about "Hoist the Flag"? I think I recall that one also being very favorable, and that one shows up in the Africa mare I posted.

It seems like Mr. P shows up in the majority of the bloodlines at the tracks here - is that a local phenomenon or is he the next Native Dancer? (ie, everyone and his brother has bred to him) Because if that's the case, then it seems like it's something that will have to be accepted as par for the course if one is picking up an OTTB. Although, it does seem as they Mr. P has some admirable qualities that aren't worth overlooking for fear of his downsides.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Mr.P and Northern Dancer were the "nick" of the 90's. Everybody and his brother wanted to get that combination in their next horse. So there were plenty of Mr.P's in regional markets for the lower echelon breeders.

He and Storm Cat seem to be going a bit out of favor these days, as there may be TOO MUCH Mr.P in American pedigrees.

Personally, I would not want to own an Unbridled Song for sport, but that's just because I know of several of his get who had to be put down on the track for breaking down--Eight Belles being the most recent. A couple were in steeplechases.

Hoist the Flag is wonderful. A bit hot undiluted, but I adore his breeding and what he was able to put out in the way of talented sport horses.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire