The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

Wink waiting

I am pretty sure the next 13 days are going to be the death of me.

Anyone else done the deed and waiting on the ultrasounds?
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

Yes, and it is torture! What do you have cooking in there??

I have one mare who will get a second ultrasound to check and make sure that suprise Quaterback lump is still there and then another mare also hopefully in foal to Quaterback for the first preg check on friday. I am DYING too!
    www.svhanoverians.com

"Simple: Breeding,Training, Riding". Wolfram Wittig.

YES!!! The wait seems especially hard this time.

And I just found out that the mare's full sister sold recently for 100k !! WOO!!!

Good luck to you!!!
    Family Partners Welsh Ponies - Home of Section B Welsh stallion *Wedderlie Mardi Gras LOM/AOE http://www.welshponies.com
    Click here to buy: A Guide To In Hand Showing of Your Welsh Pony

And I just found out that the mare's full sister sold recently for 100k !! WOO!!!
    HOLY COW... <thunk> (that's the sound of me hitting the floor after fainting) Wow.

I'm waiting on a Sempatico and a Saphiro. The Saphiro was the delayed shipment, so I'm trying not to get my hopes too high... OTOH, the mare is still all lovey like she was in heat... so I *am* hopeful.

We bred our mare June 19 on the 30-day heat post foaling on two (ACK!) 45 mm follicles, ultrasound at 14 days showed one embryo and one weirdly-shaped object (possible cyst), ultrasounded again 4 days later, pregnancy had been absorbed. Mare was also in a full-blown allergic reaction to bug bites at the time, so no surprise that conditions weren't optimum for success.

Bred again July 7 on a 40 mm follicle (bred a bit early because we are working around a M/W/F collection schedule and vet didn't want to miss possible ovulation), checked 36 hours later, mare has ovulated. Phew, at least we don't have to pay another collection fee, but we're crossing our fingers vigourously that we'll be lucky this time.

I'd also like a filly - am I asking for too much?
    Sentinel Hill Farm
    Home of VDL Windsor H

Default Count me in!

Bred my TB mare to Apiro last week-end!

First dose on a 40-41 follicle, gave her a shot to make sure she'd ovulate and put the second dose on a 42-43... Please, tell me she took!!!

FWIW, the Apiro semen was exceptionnal 80%+ motility 48 hours post-collection, that is including a trip from OK to QC! Plenty of swimmers!

Gah, I am having her preg checked on August 6th!

We are waiting on our last one right now - checking on Saturday. We've been trying on this one for 2 years, this time we tried Settle and we'll see. She has gotten in foal but loses at implantation time, so perhaps Settle will help. She has had 6 foals... she is 17. Fingers crossed!!!
    Signature Sporthorses
    www.signaturesporthorses.com

Default Arghhhhhh

I am waiting til Monday for an ultrasound on my 15 year old, maiden Starman mare. Bred to Mezcalero on the 12th. Third try in two months. First try, FedEx destroyed Equitainer vials. Second, attempt didn't take. I appreciate all the crossed fingers I can get on this third. Mare is all healthy, had been biopsied, cultured, etc. all was fine. Just haven't had that "breeder's luck"...YET! SO has been such a gem, soooo supportive.

Oh, I can empathize with all. I'm not sure I will make it to Monday.

Ok, bred mare on Monday with 3 day old semen (see the Old Swimmer post ) Then on Monday eve, was told there was fresh! Bred her Tuesday and again Wednesday (today) morning. One of them has to make it! She was in full heat today. But I do not think she drank water at the barn she was at. got her home today and she downed so much water, and then did not poop for 8 hours. One pile and semi dry. She got 2 sloppy oily bran mashes today, had gut sounds and was a little gassy tonight. Hopefully she is ok tomorrow. Also gave her 500 lb dose of Banamine paste and orally administered some electrolytes. Never seemed distressed, was only interested in the boys in the next pasture. Hopefully in 14 days there will be a little "Red Wine" to see!!!
    "To my Gub... Godspeed my friend, till we meet again." 1996-2007.
    Runway (Sasha) 2009 Zweibrucker filly by Redwine.

"Silence is golden...and duct tape is silver."

Thumbs up

I am waiting too.. my mare is at 22 days post first covering today. She has had no signs of heat, but this is not uncommon for her. She is a tricky one so I refuse to get my hopes up based on heat. The SO is shooting to take them over to be ultrasounded on Thursday. It IS torture waiting! The worst part though.. if she's pregnant that will be fabulous, but even MORE waiting!!! I don't know how you all do this every year!

I had 2 checked yesterday and bless their hearts - they are both in foal so that puts me 5 for 5 so far this year with one last mare being checked on Monday.

She's a leased mare and down in PA, we bred her to my stallion - Guaranteed Gold - and I will be on pins and needles waiting to see if she caught or not.

She is SUCH a fabulous mare. I am thrilled beyond belief that I have the opportunity to lease such a wonderful quality mare. She is by Heisman - my all time favorite WB stallion and is a half sister to the incredible stallion - Grande Saber who was under the tutelage of George Morris and ridden by the likes of Michael Matz, George Morris, Jessica Ransehousen and Chris Kappler. Barbara Livingston was good enough to take some pictures of her for me last week and she can be seen at:

http://www.barbaralivingston.com:80/gallery/albumMare

So - thinking positive thoughts for this last breeding of the year for me!
    Last edited by TrueColours; Jul. 30, 2008 at 06:42 AM.

I know how you feel! My mare had her ultrasound on Monday...preggo at 32 days along!

Was the 4th and last try of this year for her; she is an 18 yr old Morgan mare-this will be her 8th foal.

Congrats to both of you! Good luck with the last mare TrueColours!

I'm having a bad night. Dunno why.

The little pinto pony mare is adoring me, and even letting me come up to her in the pasture! (a Big Deal for her of the standoffish and cranky-alpha-mare variety) so I am *soooo* hopeful... BUT, am faxing paperwork and such to SO for the FedEx claim on the day late swim team, so I guess I'm looking at the reality of the NUMBERS.

Looooooong 16 days left...

I haven't had a lot of luck with breeding so far this year so I feel like I need to celebrate that something is going right. We did an embryo transfer on a Trakehner foal by Blitz und Donner and out of Ala. We ultrasounded the recip mare yesterday. She is still in foal a little over 40 days and we did see a heartbeat. Hip hip hooray!

Of course my other mare did get in foal on her first breeding with frozen semen by the Trakehner stallion Tanzeln. She got in foal on frozen the first time with him in 2006 too. No big surprise, he appears to have bionic semen.

One mare appears to have slipped after 17 days and two other mares did not take at all. One was almost expected because when the semen arrived the box looked like it had been drop kicked into a puddle on the side of the road. It was falling apart on the side due to having been very wet, had oil stains on it and stunk like musty stagnant water. I had to wonder about the condition of the semen and we did not have the opportunity to check it under the microscope because the vet was called out on an emergency and we did the AI on the farm.

One other mare was to be bred to the Trakehner stallion Oskar yesterday so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I'm very excited about that foal.
    Altamont Sport Horses
    Trakehners * Knabstruppers * Appaloosa Sport Horses
    Home of stallions: Ambrosius af Asgard "Atlantis" & Hollywood Hot Spot
    Birmingham, AL

Ours checked in foal yesterday evening so perhaps the fertility fairy will stop by your place next!!
    Signature Sporthorses
    www.signaturesporthorses.com

Sigh. I'm waiting, only waiting more than a few weeks and without much hope. Mares bred, mares scanned on day 16, with a "well, great tone but just can't find it. I keep hoping she'll unfold one on me, but I'm not getting anything" and one "I THINK that's a cyst, but it MIGHT be an embryo, but probably a cyst. Got a speck in it, but I think more a cyst." Two vet consultation over both of the above. A consensus probably double nope but nobody would say absolutely not. They recommended rescanning.

But I can't rescan, at least not promptly, due to other family issues which will make it impossible for me to get away during vet clinic hours for the next couple of months.

So I'm left with probably not pregnant mares, but nobody would say absolutely nope - and I have heard absolutely nope from these vets before. I will get the mares checked, in a few months, when I can. Since I couldn't rebreed (reference above family issues imploding in the next few months), no real rush, I guess, since we couldn't do anything anyway. Until then, I wait. The clinic didn't hold out too much hope for it.

But darn, Freedom is STILL acting pregnant, I swear. Or am I just imagining it because I want to?

Awww... Dressagetraks, I feel your pain. I couldn't have ultrasounds for these breedings. I used the Rx protocol precisely because I was *afraid* of that... but still it's the first time I've ever AI'd without several looksees....

One of the reasons I loff my vet is when I arrive for a pg check, he asks me first: "What do you think?" Sometimes I waffle, sometimes I think I *know*.

I hope your gut is right.

Altamont--big yay! That's cool, and encouraging.

Altamont, your glass is almost half full. You have 2 mares in foal to good stallions. I took a look at your web site. I luf Lula; she is so cute.

Quote Originally Posted by trakmom View Post
    Altamont, your glass is almost half full. You have 2 mares in foal to good stallions. I took a look at your web site. I luf Lula; she is so cute.
    Yes, I'm not complaining...yet. Although the mare that appears to have slipped her foal has been bred 3 times already. I don't usually have a hard time getting my mares in foal so that has been a bit of an expensive disappointment.

Thank you for the compliments on Lula. She is a cutie and sweet as can be. Although she is definitely looking yak-ish right now with a wild child mane which is why there are no updated photos of her. I just can't seem to get any of her that look decent. She'll come into her own, I know. Her color is changing quite a bit now too. She's developing snowflakes over her hips and more mottling. It will be interesting to see what she looks like at 3. It will also be interesting to see what her full sibling looks like next year. Hopefully he or she will be born with some spots but even if it isn't I know it will still be a nice foal which is the most important part of it anyway.
    Altamont Sport Horses
    Trakehners * Knabstruppers * Appaloosa Sport Horses
    Home of stallions: Ambrosius af Asgard "Atlantis" & Hollywood Hot Spot
    Birmingham, AL