The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

I grew up with a 13 y/o Quarter Horse. Before I got him he did anything and everything, including 3'6 jumpers. He definitely wasn't a hunter type, but he could certainly jump! My 2nd horse was a Thoroughbred Mare....I want my next (though it will be many years down the road at this stage in life) to be an Appendix for sure as I think if you find the right one you can definitely get the "best of both worlds". I'd keep an open mind though and you may be surprised! I'd think it also might be worth considering draft crosses (*flame suit firmly zipped*). I think they are dismissed way too easily.

Default QH

M.Owen-Thanks for the nice words!!

And yes, I am VERY proud to say my horse is 100% AQHA, not an ounce of TB, and is very competitive on the A and AA circuit, with ribbons every week he showed at WEF for tha past two years, tri colors at HITS, as well as placing at M& S classes each year we competed...

He's a big boy, though, (16.1 and VERY round) and perhaps flunked out of QH School,which is why he does so well...but he really has no trouble with the lines ( providing I ride forward!) and will place in the hack (not WEF!) 9 times out of 10.

I think you get an awful lot of your money's worth for a QH, although I wouldn't say mine was a 'bargain'..he had already placed in the Royal Canadain by the time he was 5. But, he is a very smart guy,with a very big heart...and a heck of a lot less $$$$ ,inus the Breed tattoo of a WB!

video from the past winter...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eeHJiJBmls

http://pets.webshots.com/photo/29411...81111249wQxCug

pics are of good friend of mine, who 'borrowed him for FL last winter!' ( btw- the girl riding in the pic is 5'11' !!! )
    Last edited by anthem35; Jul. 23, 2008 at 12:10 PM. Reason: forgot!

There are a lot of super fancy QHs out there showing hunters. Most of them are appendix and look more like warmblood/TB crosses than QHs. My sister campaigned (doing the Adult Amateurs) an appendix for years. He not only won at the QH Congress, but was champion many times at rated hunter shows. He was/is super fancy!

I love quarter ponies!!!

And I can't wait to get another one. I love their personality and work ethic, but I'm probably a little biased because I think I have the best QH on the planet

My quarter horse took me to Devon and Indoors. And like everyone has said it depends on the horse.

That being said, if my goal were to go to the top shows and win, I'd buy a warmblood.

Quote Originally Posted by keepthelegend View Post
    I like Qh's but they have to be exceptions to their breed to be successful at the AA show's in the hunters.
    I disagree. There are a lot of QH hunters today bred to move and jump well enough to compete on the A circuit. I've shown the A circuit for many years and my sister does AQHA, so I see both worlds. The top AQHA hunter trainers cross over all the time. But, as someone else pointed out, the fancy QHs are also very expensive.

Red face

Our Appendix is a flashy 16.2 chestnut. He competes at the As and AAs (won the Blowing Rock Children's Hunter Classic) and is moving up to Juniors this year. He NEVER spooks or looks at a thing. It's a great breed. Check it out.

Chawley, I am know there are a lot of QH that do well on the single A circuit. Also in the 3 foot classes at some AA shows. But full QH at 3'6 at AA shows are very very rare. I am sure someone has an example of a big winner, full QH, but in general they are not quite right for the big time hunters at the biggest shows. I loved Three's and Sevens the jumper and think he was a full QH!

Default JMHO

But, I do think its more on a case by case basis...while there is a general tendency for full QH's to lack what is truly neede to be competitive at 3" and especially above at the AA level, you will always find an exception...it may not be the norm, but it certainly is possible!

So, don't rule anything out! you just might find your once in a lifetime horse! Lord knows, I sure did!

Good Luck!!!

http://pets.webshots.com/photo/29153...81111249JsJZDF
    Last edited by anthem35; Jul. 23, 2008 at 12:52 PM. Reason: added photo

Quote Originally Posted by keepthelegend View Post
    Chawley, I am know there are a lot of QH that do well on the single A circuit. Also in the 3 foot classes at some AA shows. But full QH at 3'6 at AA shows are very very rare. I am sure someone has an example of a big winner, full QH, but in general they are not quite right for the big time hunters at the biggest shows. I loved Three's and Sevens the jumper and think he was a full QH!
    I didn't realize we were talking about full QHs.....in that case, you are probably correct. But, if you factor in the Appendix QH, there are quite a few doing 3'6" on both circuits.

West of Mims, East of Oveido. If you figure it out, please let my mail carrier know.

Quote Originally Posted by anthem35 View Post
    M.Owen-Thanks for the nice words!!

And yes, I am VERY proud to say my horse is 100% AQHA
    I'd be proud, too of that wonderful guy! Reminds me a lot of my very own late lamented Alejandro.

Lots of QHs do well at the upper levels and back in the day, some jumpers just didn't admit to the fact.

OP, sounds like your parents want you on a slower horse and that's not going to hurt your chances in the big pen, but your pro should be able to guide you nicely through the process.

Quote Originally Posted by chawley View Post
    I didn't realize we were talking about full QHs.....in that case, you are probably correct. But, if you factor in the Appendix QH, there are quite a few doing 3'6" on both circuits.
    QH have been mixed so much with TBs that I don't think you can seperate the Appendix from the QH anymore. My Children's horse I posted about early was in the QH stud book/registered as a QH and NOT appendix, but had some TB in him. I'd say the same goes with WBs though-- many registered WB have TB in there somewhere.

And those who keep saying X QH doesn't look like a QH, but instead a WB cross-- no, those horses do look like QH but not the stock QH stereotype image you are thinking about. Check out AQHA online, watch some of the videos from the top QH shows in the hunter classes, and you will see QH come in all shapes and sizes.

My once in a lifetime horse is a Quarter Horse. He's been all I could ever want and more. I've have shown him at USEF shows and won and he's also won both the Congress and World Show. They are out there and if you find one grab on and enjoy the ride.

[URL="http://http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o193/dnballou/03-02-2006054245PM-1.jpg
    Last edited by NMB; Jul. 23, 2008 at 02:05 PM. Reason: bad link

Quote Originally Posted by ImJumpin View Post
    QH have been mixed so much with TBs that I don't think you can seperate the Appendix from the QH anymore. My Children's horse I posted about early was in the QH stud book/registered as a QH and NOT appendix, but had some TB in him. I'd say the same goes with WBs though-- many registered WB have TB in there somewhere.

And those who keep saying X QH doesn't look like a QH, but instead a WB cross-- no, those horses do look like QH but not the stock QH stereotype image you are thinking about. Check out AQHA online, watch some of the videos from the top QH shows in the hunter classes, and you will see QH come in all shapes and sizes.
    You are soo right!

Default QH shows

I would love to make a real go of the breed shows...I did well at the one I attended...but there aren't enough on the East Coast!!!! I do have to say, the AQHA people are some of THE nicest people I've met at shows...

I did a QH show about 2 weeks after WEF ended and I was still hangin' around...lets just say the my QH competitors were a heck of a lot more helpful than my AA Hunters @WEF competition. ( please don't flame me...)

Quote Originally Posted by anthem35 View Post
    I would love to make a real go of the breed shows...I did well at the one I attended...but there aren't enough on the East Coast!!!! I do have to say, the AQHA people are some of THE nicest people I've met at shows...

I did a QH show about 2 weeks after WEF ended and I was still hangin' around...lets just say the my QH competitors were a heck of a lot more helpful than my AA Hunters @WEF competition. ( please don't flame me...)
    It's a totally different mind set. The shows are so low key and fun and way more affordable.

I went up to MI last year for a show to get the last of my points for AQHA worlds and they were supposed to have a Open Jumper class at 3'9". No one but myself was interested, I'd checked ahead of time and they thought for sure they'd have enough to run the class. They offered to build the course and let me ride it! I couldn't believe they'd go that out of their way! Needless to say I declined the offer, but they were so nice and they gave me a gift bag with a nice pair of rubber reins and a bunch of horse products just because. I had a lot of fun doing Congress and AQHA shows. Sadly I didn't get to make it to Worlds (horse had to be retired) but my friend did and she loved it and is going back this year.

My friend has one with TB about 5 generations back. He did very well at C shows but didn't care for hunters to much. He liked dressage and jumpers more. He could very easily make the strides on the hunter courses and jumped pretty nicely. She did hunters about 1 1/2 years with him but went to eventing the past few months. He was bought at a very nice price and has done wonderful things for her and brought her along greatly and came along himself since he was a horse that was barely ridden and was just trail ridden at a w/t. The horse didn't know how to canter u/s at 9 years old but with more training and time he could have done well at A shows IMO. If you are looking for one look for one that is appendix and if you have the time find one that you can train to jump because you can find that fancy mover thats a trail horse and the people don't know what they have.

http://entertainment.webshots.com/ph...01424462IqSoeL

I also had this one that was Zippo Pine Bar and no TB that I sold at 5 years old with about 60 days on him and he has made a 12 yr old very happy. From day one she has rode him bareback and halter and is showing him over 2' locally to get started and he is cleaning house. As he keeps training he could probably go B shows but I don't think A

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...01424462VvUJOZ

And this is our WONDERFUL QH pony of my daughters. Now this boy has the movement I believe for AA's but he will probably be doing C/T's instead.

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...01424462kMraMM

And the last was a friends APHA that would have done extremly well in A's, he had a nice jump and really nice movement and could make the strides. Granted he was 16.1H but he was a really nice mover for a stock paint horse, but they had to sell him, not sure what he is doing now. He just needed some more training.

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...01424462oitFaM
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Well if you're gonna show pictures....
    Here's one of my favorites of my mare and me in a little jumper class last year at that Michigan show I mentioned.

http://pets.webshots.com/photo/28232...48495570oAEOeB

Wow! Your jumper is Impressive!!!! GO QH's!!!!!

Hey Anthem, were you the one who showed at that AQHA show in Florida, and your horse's papers may/may not have been transferred to your name, and some were telling you that you may/may not then have been considered a pro? Apologies if that wasn't you, but if it was.......whatever happened?!

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    Hey Anthem, were you the one who showed at that AQHA show in Florida, and your horse's papers may/may not have been transferred to your name, and some were telling you that you may/may not then have been considered a pro? Apologies if that wasn't you, but if it was.......whatever happened?!
    YES! that's me!

When I first started this quest, I was in the process of getting married..So put it off for a bit..and after some searching, just found that there are not enough QH shows within a reasonable distance to make Congress a realistic goal!
    Apparently, when I did that show, and did nothave my papers in my possesssion at that time, I competed in an "open' class, without ANY clue of what the future ramifications were, as in, now being considered a "pro". YIKES. And I have to admit, it was SUCH a daunting process to go thru to have this amended, that i just went back to USEF Hunterland and minded my own business.

But thanks for remembering!!! I included a video of the HIQ ( horse is question) a few posts back!