The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Another Appendix owner here... to me, he's the perfect mix. I don't have any aspirations to do A or AA show... actually, not really interested in doing anything rated. But when I was shopping, I wanted something that could do the rated stuff, just in case. He's a lovely mover and a good jumper. And point and shoot type. He's pretty even tempered and is up for anything (we are dabbling in Eventing though he is definately a Hunter). He has alot of traits from both sides. Typical QH mind (most of the time) but can have his TB moments. I always say I have the best of both worlds. He's a true 50/50. He definately has the stride if I was interested in the rated stuff. That's the TB in him.

When I was "shopping" I wasn't focused on breed type. Like others have posted, I was looking for the perfect fit for me and what I wanted to do. Heck, I even looked at a Cleveland Bay. I had a WB mare before this horse. And we ended up clashing big time. Yep, she was fancy and talented. But we just didn't mesh.

So I wouldn't focus so much on the breed. Find the horse that fits you and what you want to do. You never know... you might find that diamond in the rough and be pleasantly surprised.

my first horse was a quarter horse took me all the way to the "A"s sure we didnt win but we got a good piece, and he would always help me out when i would screw up and looking back i rode him horribly!! if i had him now we probably would win... but then for my second horse i too was looking for a green warmblood due to a restricted budget... i ended up getting a small older (13 year) thoroghbred that was 100% made and had shown all over the country in the 3'6 and everything, ofcourse i only showed her up to 3' but she taught me alot and won alot tooo! .. at first i was kindof bummmed that i didnt get a warmblood but everything happens for a reason. however you do want to get somthing your going to be happy with and proud to show, and if that means not getting a qh than that is that, and maybe you parents will understand that when you find a horse that is for you and if it isnt a qh, but who knows you may find that perfect qh!

Totally depends on the individual. I've seen some awfully nice QHs out there and especially now that certain lines are being bred to jump (or do english pleasure). But then again many of those horses are just as expensive as their WB counterparts.

Anyhow, my Junior Jumper and Grand Prix horse as a teenager was a full blooded 16h, long-backed QH out of halter horse lines. That horse cleared 5'3" courses for me like it wasn't anything. Was he an exception? Probably. But not bad for a $3500 horse in the (still new back then) world of WBs and TBs.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWjumper View Post
    Anyhow, my Junior Jumper and Grand Prix horse as a teenager was a full blooded 16h, long-backed QH out of halter horse lines. That horse cleared 5'3" courses for me like it wasn't anything. Was he an exception? Probably. But not bad for a $3500 horse in the (still new back then) world of WBs and TBs.

thats amazing i would love to see a picture of that guy!!

Quote Originally Posted by shawneeAcres View Post
    Well KeeptheLegend you need to see MY 17 hand appendix QH who is uphill with a GIANT stride!!!! He is still pretty green, jsut got him this summer, but not like most qh's at ALL. Incedentally his dam was by the great racehorse Sham (She was the TB).

I am so heartened that someone remembers what a fine horse Sham was! I'd be pleased as punch to own some Sham babies! I'll stop now before we have to say anything about that other S. horse...

When I get some show pictures back of my current horse I'll find someplace to post them and we can talk a little more about this QH thing To describe him, he would sound a lot like eqrider's horse actually, although the most I know of him jumping is 4' (he can go alot higher than I can, is all I can say )

I agree with all those who say "a nice horse is a nice horse" or judge each horse for what they are.

I have two QHs. One is 7/8s TB and one is all QH. The all QH is the better mover, very daisy cutter-ish and really good behind, and jumps knees to eyeballs. He could pass for a WB/QH cross actually-does not have a typial QH head, but does have the shoulder and hindend of a QH. The other is hot, super sensitive, and to look at him, you wouldn't mistake him for anything but QH. He's not a good mover, and although he can jerk his knees way up, he jumps flat and rather high headed (long neck so he tucks head to chest, almost, in the air).

So, in my case, the all QH with not a single fancy name in his pedigree is 1,000,000X more suitable for the H/J circuit than the mostly TB QH that is from quite well-known lines (Rugged Lark, out of a TB mare that produced multiple AQHA Champions). Neither horse would be suitable on the AQHA circuit though.

shawnee acres, I did say there are exceptions and also was referring to the full QH not an appendix. I like Qh's but they have to be exceptions to their breed to be successful at the AA show's in the hunters.

My horse from long stirrup through children's was (well, we still have him..) an appendix. He was a saint, and taught me so much. We also pinned very well and he was a fantastic mover.
    My trainer's paint horse Quick Draw McGraw ALWAYS pins top three in the hunters around here on the PHJA circut, and usually pulls some ribbons in the higher shows. He was a cow horse in Colorado and Champion and two time Reserve in the 18 and Under jumpers at the APHA World Show a little bit back.

I don't discriminate against breed, and I think any breed should be given a shot if they seem capable for the job. I only have a warmblood because everyone else gave up on her.
    THE NUMBER ONE REASON HORSES ARE BETTER THAN BOYS:
    a horse will love you forever!

Check out Bigeq.com, there are usually a few very nice Quarter Horses mixed in with the Warmbloods and TBs for sale
    --o0o--

Honestly, some nice horses can be found in unexpected places. If your budget is limited, I would keep an open mind

We have a QH (and he looks like a QH!!) at our barn who is a 9 mover and a 10 jumper. He's only about 15.2ish and dun but he's quite competitive in the 3' hunters (childrens and a/a's) at the A and AA shows. He also has the greatest personality
    "The horse you get off is not the same as the horse you got on. It's your job to make sure he's better "
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...&id=1495740009
    ~*Dani*~

I've had an appendix who was smarter than any dumblood, jumped a 10 and moved a 12. Ask Melissa as well about AQH on the 'A' circuit, her's hold their own both on AQHA and USEF 'A' rated hunter jumper shows.

Don't hate on the QH!
    "I am going to teach you about men. distances are like men. Never grab the first one you see; it's never the best one, and more will come along."-George Morris

We presently have 2 appendix for sale at our barn. One is 3 and the other is 5 and VERY FANCY. I have been amazed that at the very few shows (like 2) we have taken them to, there has been a lot of interest. I think they will make great horses for someone. The 5yo is easily schooling 3' so, they are sure out there, you just need to find one. Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by eqprincess92 View Post
    Okay, So I've decided to sell my current horse because he is just too much horse to be able to show at the "A"s or even be in the hunter ring. It breaks my heart to have to and i wish i could keep him but in order to get a new horse,i must sell him. He just doesn't seem to be enjoying jumping and would much rather put-put around out on the trails or even be a foxhunter!!

With that said, I've now started the search for a new horse. I'm looking for something rather young and very fancy. I wish i could buy something made,but with what i have to spend,that's not going to happen. As i said before,I am working towards showing at the "A"s in the future therefor I need something fancy enought to be worth taking. I've told my parents many times that I really would like to get some kind of WB or WB/TB but they still think a quiet quarter horse is going to work. NOT SAYING QUARTER HORSES AREN"T WORTH TAKING TO "A" SHOWS!! but when you are on a budget and need to make every penny count,I would much rather have a chance at at least getting in the ribbons. I live minutes from HITS and have gone to almost every show[just to watch,of course ] for years and i know that at least 95% of the horses there are WB's.

I guess what i'm asking for is your opinions.
    You might look at some appendix horses. You can find some super cool ones with a ton of talent, but more importantly I'd get out of the hunter ring and into the jumpers where you will be technically challenged and will become a better rider and wont have to worry about the politics.

A friend of mine has an appendix who just did his first Grand Prix last week and he is by a halter horse stallion! I have a mare who is appendix and I did the level 5s and low A/O jumpers on.

I LOVE my Appendix!! Definitely do not rule QH's or appendixes out of your horse search. I have never sat on an appendix or quarter horse that I didn't love, and I'm a hunter rider too...
    "And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse..." ~Revelation 19:11

I have two QH large pony mares. One screams QH and her jumping talent is limited. My other QH mare, that I've had since she was 6 (she is now 21), isn't built like the typical tank, can do the horse strides and was jumping 3'6 courses with ease in her prime. 3' was a piece of cake to her and you insulted with fences not much below that.

I have ridden some amazing QH Crosses. My appendix was a big boy took 84 in clothing and 52 girth. He was a beautiful mover, but was to much horse for me.

My new horse is a little smaller, but amazing. He lvoes his job, and it shows.

[QUOTE=PNWjumper;3381313]Totally depends on the individual. I've seen some awfully nice QHs out there and especially now that certain lines are being bred to jump (or do english pleasure). But then again many of those horses are just as expensive as their WB counterparts.

QUOTE]

Than's nice to hear!! If I ever got my guy (and myself) going well at the big time shows, I'd like to think his being an AQHA/APHA doesn't make him much less valuable than a similar quality horse of fancier breeding.

On another note, I LOVE my horse's brain. He will focus in unfamiliar areas, and isn't easily rattled. Even in completely new environments, he is a very easy horses to show. *knock on wood* I attribute that to the good ole QH in him

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

I just bought the nicest Paint (very solid..roan, no spots) for my new hunter! Dad was a halter horse, mom was a TB, and he looks like a WB, but acts like a QH Good mover, good jump, can compete with the big boys at the A's, too. No one asks if he's a paint, they ask if he's warmblood.

I looked outside the TB/WB box for my newest horse. A good hunter is a good hunter, regardless of breed, color or sex.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!