The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Default Quarter horses and "A" shows?

Okay, So I've decided to sell my current horse because he is just too much horse to be able to show at the "A"s or even be in the hunter ring. It breaks my heart to have to and i wish i could keep him but in order to get a new horse,i must sell him. He just doesn't seem to be enjoying jumping and would much rather put-put around out on the trails or even be a foxhunter!!

With that said, I've now started the search for a new horse. I'm looking for something rather young and very fancy. I wish i could buy something made,but with what i have to spend,that's not going to happen. As i said before,I am working towards showing at the "A"s in the future therefor I need something fancy enought to be worth taking. I've told my parents many times that I really would like to get some kind of WB or WB/TB but they still think a quiet quarter horse is going to work. NOT SAYING QUARTER HORSES AREN"T WORTH TAKING TO "A" SHOWS!! but when you are on a budget and need to make every penny count,I would much rather have a chance at at least getting in the ribbons. I live minutes from HITS and have gone to almost every show[just to watch,of course ] for years and i know that at least 95% of the horses there are WB's.

I guess what i'm asking for is your opinions.

IMO, it really just depends on the QH. if it's one of the 15 hand super wide ones who really LOOK like a QH, you probably will not be able to compete with most of the WB's and TB's, especially at the A level.

If it's nice, definitely do not hesitate to look. A nice horse is a nice horse. Just because it isn't the most common breed doesn't mean its not capable of being an awesome mover . It just seems that the ones that are the nice movers and jump with their knees up to their eyeballs are the Warmbloods (although they are most common thing showing anyway)

I have usually found that QH crosses are more sucessful than full QH's (especially the Appendixes)

Hey, if the judge can't tell its a QH, what's not to like?

I agree with luvs2ride. If it doesn't look really quarter horsie and moves great then it might be worth it. Plus a lot of times if a horse is a WB it will be more expensive than a QH or TB only because is a WB.

I have had many TB/QH crosses that people have thought were warmbloods, you get the nice quiet attitude, athleticism and good movement of a warmblood in some QH's, particularly the crosses. However, there are plenty of very nice, quiet TB's also out there winning, and their price tag troo would be much more reasonable that a WB

Get a horse for the job it can do.

All the horses at my barn look and act like hunters, do their job well, and get ribbons. Honestly mine probably looks the least like a hunter, because he is an ottb, but people still ask me what kind of WB cross he is even after I have *just* told them he is a TB.
    I myself was surprised to learn that one of the horses in our barn is an appendix QH, and another has a ton of Arab in her. (Seriously. Arab.)

You would probably be hard pressed to figure out who was who if you walked down our aisle, and it would be a shame for you to turn down a good match just because somebody had the 'wrong' thing written about them on their pedigree. Both you and your parents should be gunning for a horse that can do the job and stay sound in it, regardless of who his parents are.

The best horse I have in my barn is an appendix quarter horse he does not look like one either!!!!! When I am looking for a new horse for a client of mine I always consider the division the rider is going in and the ability of the rider.
    Author of COTH article "The Other Side of Aaron Vale"

I think it really depends on the QH. The way so many of them are bred nowadays, you'd never guess they were QH just by looking at them. My friend might be getting a retired GP jumper turned hunter who is a QH. Not sure what his bloodlines are, but supposedly he won at the Capital Challenge and has shown at Madison Square Garden. And I agree with what others have said about the QH crosses. We have some NICE appendixes at my barn and we also have a lovely QH/WB A-circuit mare who is a blast to ride but totally steady.
    "It is not necessary for you to let everyone know everything about you. In fact, it is probably wise that you don't. There are some things that you need only discuss with God."

I have a paint, and he is a hunk, he went to a "C" rated show, but did not place well.

I agree also with Luvs2ride, It always depends on the horse.

I dont think i was much help.. Lol..

GOODLUCK.
    "If I smell like Pepperments,i was feeding my horse. If I smell like shampoo,my horse got a bath. If i smell like manure, I tripped.
    http://community.webshots.com/user/JustMyStyle95

we have a very nice QH, has a wonderful jump, does well locally(very competative local curcuit) and some B shows, but just doesn't have the stride for the A's, so we stick with what he can comfortably do....(wish he did have a larger step, but oh well!!)

Check out the ad on pg 21 of COTH, 7/28/08. I suspect Blue Illusions is a QH--he looks pretty darn nice to me! Go for the horse who (a)matches you, your personality and your riding and (b) has the talent to help you reach your dreams. WB are way overpriced. My ottb isn't for sale at any price--and many think he's a WB. Find the right horse for you--and keep an open mind!

We have a QH that used to be a cow pony, and is now winning Children's hunters on the A and AA circuit My personal horse is a QH Paint that has been to two AA shows and placed well in most of 3' hunter classes. It really just depends on how they move and jump. They both look very QH-like but are fantastic jumpers and pretty good movers.

It completely depends on the individual horse...I do agree that many of the Appendix Quarter Horses are more suited for jumping/showing because the TB in them makes them scopey and better moving and more athletic. However nowadays the hunters have become more popular on the real Quarter Horse circuit and if you do some research you will probably be able to find full blooded quarter horses that are VERY suited for the A horse shows...

The QH stallion Skys Blue Boy is a veryy well known HUS stallion and some of his offspring also jump...and most of his offspring are AMAZING movers! If you google him you can find more info.

My successful AA show jumper as a jr. was a full blooded QH. He took me into ribbons in all three rings. Most trainers ask me where he was imported from and where floored when I told them "texas". It depends on the horse, you will most likely get more horse for your money if you look for an off breed, after all you can't ride papers and can't breed a gelding.

If you are talking single A shows and jumping 3 foot a QH will probably work fine. At AA shows and jumping 3'6 or in a competitive AA class the QH's for the most part don't have the scope and stride and a lot are a bit downhill. Of course there are always exceptions. But QH are quiet horses and bred in the USA and if they made good top hunters there would be a lot of them out there. But they just don't have the athleticism over fences and big stride of a WB and some TB's to win at the big shows.

Well KeeptheLegend you need to see MY 17 hand appendix QH who is uphill with a GIANT stride!!!! He is still pretty green, jsut got him this summer, but not like most qh's at ALL. Incedentally his dam was by the great racehorse Sham (She was the TB).

Look for posts here by Anthem35, she has a lovely QH that is very successful on the A circuit. Like others are saying, judge each horse as an individual, you may end up with a great find that way.

I have shown my, now 18yo, QH sucessfully in the A'.s Of course, we did EQ and jumpers, but still. We did the greens back in the day and didnt do too bad in decent company.

Just because he's a QH doesnt mean he cant jump and pin....and its not always about the ribbons anyway.
    Busy Bee Farm, Ellijay, GA
    Never Ride Faster Than Your Guardian Angel Can Fly
    Way Back Texas~04/20/90-09/17/08
    Green Alligator "Captain"

I'm guessing you're doing hunters? I agree that if it doesn't look like a qh it would be a nice hunter. I have a friend with a qh that does well in the hunters at B and C shows, but the horse looks like a warmblood. qhs also tend to have a short stride, so one like that would obviously not be ideal for hunters. If you're talking about jumpers then I've seen lots of qhs at the A shows in the jumper ring.

My childrens horse was a QH-- he had a lovely, above average jump, was waaaayyyy athletic and scopey, and would try his heart out for me any day. He was 16.3, "refined" but still a big boy (wore 82 in clothes and a 52 girth) and could beat a WB any day-- especially with that wonderful, made to please attitude.

I love my WB, but would trade his attitude (lazy and difficult to impress) for my QH's any day.

I also leased another QH a few years back who was a complete doll. He has a super cute jump, is easy going, and decent ability-wise. He is always in the top ribbons at B shows and could certainly hold his own at the As as well.

It is not about the breed, it is about the individual horse. If you find a nice moving horse with a good jump and a good attitude, it doesn't matter what breed they are, unless you are planning to do breed shows or are interested in breeding. You don't ride the pedigree, you ride the horse. Just because a horse is a warmblood does not mean it is a good horse and does not mean you will place well at shows. And yes, while WBs are very popular right now, your 95% estimate is probably a bit high.

Edited to add: to those saying QH have short strides, you probably haven't been around many QH. Remember where QH got their names-- racing a quarter mile. While it is true that there are stock type QH used for WP and the like, there are so many more QH types out there.

Wanted to add I agree with Imjumpin about the stride. My guy was a former QH racer, grandparents were TB's and his step his huge. His gates are very comgy to ride and easy to adjust.

Cant beat his attitude either, very easy to work with.
    Busy Bee Farm, Ellijay, GA
    Never Ride Faster Than Your Guardian Angel Can Fly
    Way Back Texas~04/20/90-09/17/08
    Green Alligator "Captain"