The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Quote Originally Posted by cloudyandcallie View Post
    That after reading Brooke's account of her tragedy, that if we take dogs to a barn that is not ours, said dogs should either be on a lease or in a stall at all times?
    <snip>
    Maybe barns who allow dogs (not belonging to the BO) could have an area fenced when people could leave their dogs to play? I'd vote for that.
    What a good idea - a sort of COTH pledge, like a vow of temperance. Only different, cause, y'know, not many COTH-er's would agree to give up the mojitos.

I like the idea of a safe area for dogs. I have working border collies, and when I go to someone else's farm for a clinic there is usually a safe area fenced in for those dogs whose impulse control around the ovine set isn't all one might wish it to be.

But maybe not so much locking them in a stall. Some dogs make horrendous noises when you do that.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Quote Originally Posted by vcarson View Post
    Oh yeah, the dog park mindset drives me around the bend! We have a lot of city-dwellers as boarders, and as soon as they arrive at the farm, they suddenly behave like "anything goes." This is an issue my business partner and I have been struggling with at our large boarding barn for several years. We've gone from a few posted general dog rules (a disaster; dog owners ignored them) to allowing dogs as long as they were under the owner's direct control or confined (a slightly smaller disaster), and are currently working on a new liability release form requiring owners to sign a dog-related release before they can bring a dog on the property. It requires them to certify that they have and will maintain insurance covering any liability caused by their dog, and that they will hold the farm harmless for any damage or liability to animals, humans or property, and to agree to be joined in any suit and reimburse us if we are sued. If they're not willing to sign it, they are welcome but the dog(s) must stay home. Some of our boarders are superb dog owners, and they make sure their dogs are well-trained and confined when the owner is riding. Others are nitwits, allowing their dogs to run around everywhere in spite of the rules. We don't want to punish the responsible dog owners for the actions of the few irresponsible types. We're working with our lawyer and some insurance friends to craft this last ditch effort before banning all dogs. We simply don't feel that we can handle the risk to the horses, humans and dogs, and the potential liability. We've had a few nasty accidents due to loose dogs -- enough is enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucassb View Post
    We've had a few people treat the farm where I board like a dog park. They think that the fields are a great opportunity to let their dogs run free and think it's "cute" when they chase the horses... "Look! Pookie is playing with the horsies!"

I have very little tolerance for it and wish that our no-dog rule would be enforced. But of course these folks are always careful to come after the BO has gone home for the day.
    Well, I wish you luck... but I'd bet you anything that the morons who are ignoring your current rules will keep on ignoring the new and improved version.

Insurance is a useful thing to have, for obvious reasons. However, as Brooke's very sad story illustrates, it comes a very poor second to avoiding tragedy in the first place.

I am not one of those hunter divas who thinks horses should be bubble wrapped and I do school (and expect) my horse to behave under whatever circumstances we encounter, including dogs. But honestly the barn is my "escape" from a hectic day; having to deal with errant dogs is the kind of PITA that can ruin an otherwise really pleasant trip to the barn. My horse is fully insured but if some asshat's dog caused him serious injury, or God forbid something worse... no amount of $$$ would be enough to make things right.

Just some food for thought.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

Our barn has a "no dogs" policy. Some people bring their dogs for walks who don't even board there.

Today someone had their puppy on a leash in a main aisle. I mentioned that dogs weren't allowed, and the person she was with said "I know."

If you bring a dog to the stable knowing it's against the rules, and someone is riding up the aisle on their 17.3hh hot-as-can-be Warmblood and the horse spooks and dumps them, wouldn't that be your fault?

Truthfully, I worry for the dogs too. Some horses could walk by all sweetness and light and then just turn and kick.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambrey View Post
    Our barn has a "no dogs" policy. Some people bring their dogs for walks who don't even board there.

Today someone had their puppy on a leash in a main aisle. I mentioned that dogs weren't allowed, and the person she was with said "I know."

If you bring a dog to the stable knowing it's against the rules, and someone is riding up the aisle on their 17.3hh hot-as-can-be Warmblood and the horse spooks and dumps them, wouldn't that be your fault?

Truthfully, I worry for the dogs too. Some horses could walk by all sweetness and light and then just turn and kick.
    If the dog is on a leash and someone is riding a giraffe in the barn aisle, then no, I'd have a hard time assigning all the blame to the dog and its owner.

Certainly I worry about the dogs, too. One of my border collies got her foot, and nearly her head, broken by a paint gelding who didn't think that creepy-crawly bc crouch should be tolerated. That was at her last home. Her new home has a crazy lady who's spent a sweltering summer building a three-board fence with field fencing on the inside so doggies have a play yard separate from horses.

[edit]

Anyways, back to dogs at the barn...

When I was at a very large, multi discipline facility we had a DQ come in with her three JRTs. She didn't ask if it was ok to let them run rampant and basically ignored them. They found one of the barn cats and proceeded to rip it apart in front of a bunch of kids there for camp. Horrific.

As I mentioned, the trail system I frequent is for dogs, people and horses. The people object to the dogs and the horses being there and the dog people object to the horses being there.

Pretty hard to please all the people all the time in this regard. Common sense should prevail whenever different species are intermingling.

On that note, this "lowlife scum" is out. I never thought all this would come of bringing ones canine companion to the barn. Geesh.
    Last edited by Moderator 1; Jul. 28, 2008 at 01:14 PM. Reason: reference to deleted post
    "look deep into his pedigree. Look for the name of a one-of-a-kind horse who lends to his kin a fierce tenacity, a will of iron, a look of eagles. Look & know that Slew is still very much with us."

My dog is friendly with the horses at home, she knows better than to be near them. But I leave her in the house or on the leash by the house when I ride, and I wouldn't dare bring her to a public barn. She has issues dealing with other dogs (she just came from the shelter) and I wouldn't want to risk any other animals.

If you go to the barn to ride, don't bring your dog, it has no place there. Trainers and BO's should also leave their dogs at home, the BO should keep the dogs leashed or in the house/kennel.

I went to a barn to consider lessons, the trainer/BO had her 6 little ankle biters running loose. They chased the horses in lessons and actually fought with a leashed dog. One chased a horse over a fence, and was almost landed on. Will I take lessons there? Probably not.
    To be loved by a horse, or by any animal, should fill us with awe-
    for we have not deserved it.
    Marion Garretty

We removed/edited a couple of off-topic/personal posts. One jab led to response that was misunderstood and led to further jabs, misunderstandings and personal commentary.

So, please ease up and remain focused on the topic.

Thanks!
    Mod 1