The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Irishcas that is hysterical!!! Your Boxer is clearly smarter then mine!

If you're at a public barn with other boarders and boarder horses, I think it's rude to have your dog off a leash. You may have absolute confidence in your dog's ability to behave, but all another boarder sees if they see your dog wandering up the barn aisle is a strange, loose dog, period. Some of us have had bad experiences with dogs and shouldn't have to worry about whether or not you are a 'responsible' dog owner or if your dog is a 'good dog' when we're trying to work around our horses.

Barn rules are barn rules, so I don't take issue with someone who brings their dog on a leash if the barn rules allow for that...I wouldn't do it if I owned a dog, but I make the decision where to board my horse and do so with knowledge of the dog policies. But any barn that boards horses and has management with at least half a brain has a leash rule, and violating that rule is not just potentially dangerous, it's inconsiderate to others at the barn no matter how much you think everyone loves friendly Fido.
    "To understand the soul of a horse is the closest human beings can come to knowing perfection."

I personally believe, based on years of watching fellow dog owners endanger their pet's lives, that there is a sizable population of seemingly devoted owners who secretly want their dog dead. The park in my town is bordered by an active rail line and still, they come with their offleash pets. To me, the difference isn't training (many aggressive dogs are very well-trained, they're just f'd in terms of personality), but in owner diligence. If your dog is in public (whether that's a public barn or a park), the only way that dog should be loose is if a) he/she is non-confrontational to other animals and humans, and b) your attention is 99% on that dog's actions. If you're going to be distracted with a child, a horse, a best friend, etc., your dog should be leashed or otherwise secured.

Oh, and I don't believe some breeds, the Rottie among them, should ever be loose in public. Working breeds respond beautifully to training, but many of them were developed to make bold, independent decisions about human behavior and act on them with aggression. If they're off-leash in public, they need focused handling. Similar to the way people with Greyhounds are cautioned against letting their dogs off-leash; enhanced risk because of their breed.

Default So how do you accustom your horses to dogs?

I'm always conflicted on this issue. On the one hand, there are stories like Brooke's. When I was taking lessons, I know I used to hate the fact that there were always a pack of rowdy dogs running around the school, wrestling and snarling under my horses' feet. I used to imagine every horrible accident that could occur as a result of loose dogs and horses.

But there's always the other hand - where I live, "fence" is a four-letter word. Srsly, no one confines their dogs. Well, except for me and the old lady up the road who has a Pekingese with allergies. I have blessed my former RI on more than one occasion, when dogs come running out at my horses as we pass and the horse barely even looks up. Or during deer season, when the pack comes tearing through my pasture, and the boys don't even pause in their grazing.

I completely understand that loose dogs can get riders hurt, but it seems to me that, unless you're going to do all your riding under controlled conditions, you're bound to encounter loose dogs one day. So how do y'all think is the safest way to prepare for that eventuality?

I can certainly understand why folks at boarding barns, high traffic barns, etc would want them to be dog-free zones...too much extra to be thinking about. Even if your dog is well behaved, it's one more thing.

On the flip side, I think nearly any dog can be appropriately trained to coexist quite safely and comfortably in a horse/high traffic people environment. But it doesn't just happen by constantly turning the dog loose and being a nuisance. You have to actually participate in TRAINING your dog.

I have a large dog. He goes lots of places with me...including to the office, the barn, on little weekend vacations, etc. He is well socialized with people, other dogs, and......horses!

Even still, it is "one more thing"...kind of like having a 3YO child in tow. No matter how well behaved, you still have to keep an eye out.

I board my horses with a friend who also has a big dog. Our dogs are "best friends". Our homes (mine and the BO's) are "home" to both dogs....which means that usually if I'm at the barn, so is my dog. But sometimes I don't want to deal with "one more thing"....like this a.m. Needed to get in, ride, get out, and get to work. So I left my pup at home. But normally, the barn is where he gets his exercise and I feel pretty guilty leaving him home....what's the point of having a dog if the dog is always stuck at home and you're never there?

I realize it's different for me because I practically live at the barn...most evenings and nearly all day every day on the weekends, that's where I am. One of the reasons I feel I can do that is because the mutt gets to go to. I just don't understand the concept of having an animal...a companion animal no less...that never gets to be a companion.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Thumbs down

We had one barn owner with a vicious and I mean vicious GSD who loved nothing more to chase the horses, which BO though was cute.
    "Look, Poopsie is helping me herd the horses."

It tormented and attacked the barn cats, whom I packed up one day into carriers and catnapped them all. She knew it was me, but didn't have the #alls to confront me.

The best is when the GSD went after us boarders constantly.. yes, teeth barred and hair raised on back. But it was usually OUR fault, because of the hat or sunglasses we were wearing.

Not to mention attacking the Vet, Blacksmith etc.

It was a modern day version of raising a spoiled rotten brat of a child, only with 4 legs and sharper teeth.

It was brought up repeatedly at barn meetings how unsafe we all felt when this dog charged us. Some of us would even grab a large stick from the parking area before we entered the barn.

BO was clueless.....
    MnToBe Twinkle Star: "Twinkie"
    http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...wo/009_17A.jpg

Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

The barn I board at is very dog-friendly, and I enjoy that aspect of it, and I suspect I will enjoy it even more when I have my own dog (hopefully in a year!). However, the barn is on the same property as other recreational activity facilities (a pool, tennis courts, a gym, etc) so there is a very strict rule in place that dogs brought to the barn stay at the barn, or face consequences. It certainly made people more mindful of where their dogs were, which I think has been for the better. Most dogs that come are either leashed and with their owner, or left in the nice, cushy, dog-friendly tack room/lounge if they are friendly to other people and dogs. Those that are not leashed are all very well-trained and very very rarely get more than 10 ft or so away from their owners, and respond really impressively to commands like 'stay' (one owner tells her dog to stay in the shade with a bowl of water, and he will happily sit there for the entire duration of her ride, waiting for her to release the command). I am fine with this sort of dog-friendliness. Like everyone else, it is when dogs are poorly managed or untrained that having dogs at the barn becomes a problem.

I don't like having dogs around horses. I like dogs, but don't adore them. Especially if the dog is not mine. My dogs go with me to feed, but if I am working with the horses in anyway, the dogs are in the kennel. The same goes if we have people over. The dogs go in the kennel whether we are doing horse stuff or not. The few barns I have ridden at that allowed dogs I hated it. Unfortunately the dogs were largely the barn owners so not much I could do. One dog constantly peed on my stuff if I left it on the ground for a second. One barn had so many dogs lying around the barn aisle you could hardly walk through it! Not everybody that is a horse person is a dog person. I don't like it when people assume that I love dogs and let their dog come up and greet me. Even a well mannered dog. People with dogs, please don't let your dog just walk up to anybody. If somebody wants to greet your dog, and it is okay with you, then have at it. I know it makes me sound like a dog hater, but I really do like dogs. I just like to be able to decide if I want to interact with them, not have them forced on me.

And dogs at a horse show! Don't get me started! It is a HORSE show, not a dog show. Please leave them at home.

Quote Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' View Post
    I completely understand that loose dogs can get riders hurt, but it seems to me that, unless you're going to do all your riding under controlled conditions, you're bound to encounter loose dogs one day. So how do y'all think is the safest way to prepare for that eventuality?
    I understand what you are saying, but when I am at the barn I sort of expect (maybe hope is a better word?) people to have enough common sense that they don't bring Poopsie to the barn & turn them loose to "socialize" (aka chase anything that moves) while they go off & do their own thing. If you HAVE to bring your dog, keep it short leashed & with you. Don't lock it in the tack room or viewing area where I have to encounter being jumped on or slobbered or growled at. Don't lock it in the stall next to my horse so it can bark & taunt my horse while digging up the stall base. Don't lock it in your car parked next the riding ring so it's barking & howling while I try to ride. Don't let it pee on everything it encounters (the stall wall, mounting block, tack trunks, hay, etc...). And pick up after it so I am not picking dog poo out of my horse's feet.
    "I'm not crazy...my mother had me tested"

unless you have your own place theres not much you can do about it, if you don't like dogs under foot and bo allows it i quess you move, if you go to a no dogs barn and expect to be able to bring your dog, you should get asked to leave if you show up with it
    i've boarded at both, never had a problem in either situation, i just followed the rules, if there were dogs running about, i figured it was a good way to train my horse

The girl who let her dog go after my horse said to my trainer, as I was being loaded into the ambulance. "Wow I can't believe he did that! He is so well trained, he never did anything like that before!". Gee sounds like some of you. Shit happens. Unfortunately it happened to me.

Yes she was liable (her parents actually) for all my medical bills, physical therapy (which they still pay for years later whenever I need it) all my x-rays that I get twice a year (still!) to see how badly the breaks are degenerating.

I tried to ride 6 months after the accident. I rode for around 3 months and couldn't live with the pain. Got rid of my horse. I try every 2 or 3 years to hop on again and see how it goes. I end up flat on my back for 3 weeks each time. So I'm a little slow!! I just miss riding so much it makes me sick to my stomach sometimes.

So I beg you to leash or contain your dogs when around horses so that a story like mine is never ever repeated.

The older I get the worse the pain gets at times. It doesn't take much for me to throw my back out and be laid up for days in pain.

This could have been all avoided if that young lady with the perfectly behaved dog had not chosen to let him loose. She is still riding and showing, sure hasn't affected her career in anyway. However I now play golf, let's get freakin real here GOLF!!??!!! It can be fun and I must admit I have gotten pretty good at it, but what a complete snore compared to riding.

So no I have no support for any of you that CHOOSE to let your dogs loose around other people and their horses. I just hope you have tons of money/insurance like these folks did. Cause it cost them a freakin bundle.

But the bottom line is I'm the one paying for the rest of my life, not them . . . ME! Remember that when you tell someone how well trained your dog is around horses. Cause I ain't buying it!!
    Lions and Tigers and Bears, oh my!!

I'm sorry about your accident....that really sucks. ((gentle hugs))

I totally understand that if your barn has a no dogs policy, there should be well...no dogs.

I would never think to take my dog somewhere without permission. Or turn loose w/o permission. Or let loose around a horse who has never been around dogs. Or let loose at a show. However, if you come ride at our barn, where the dogs live and the horses live? They're loose.

All manner of things spook horses...not just dogs. Birds, people, kids, tractors...accidents do happen. Not saying it's your fault AT ALL....but unless horses are acclimated to such things, their first reaction is usually to spook.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Quote Originally Posted by daisyduke View Post
    I guess I'm just of a different mind set when it comes to dogs. Mine stay at home and only leave to visit the vet.
    To me, that is sad (unless you live on a farm). I have a HUGE Dobe that goes everywhere that I go whenever possible. I don't see how you can have a dog that is larger than a squirrel and deny them the extreme joy they get from car rides, the cottage, the beach, the barn, horse shows... My dog needs to run. I have a big fenced back yard but that isn't enough for most energetic dogs. So my guy gets runs in the bush and comes on hacks with me. He even came to Rolex this year. The difference is that he is on leash unless it is an appropriate time/place and a total gentleman. Yes I agree with the Rottie owners that certain breeds are still treated like killers and it sucks when you own one and KNOW how far from the truth it is. If my dog is on a leash and under control shut up about it. If my dog is in a dog friendly setting and off leash and minding his own business...shut up about it. I have had Dobes since I was a kid. Some I trusted, some I didn't and I handle them accordingly. I am at a small barn and I don't let my dog off leash or out of the truck unless the coast is clear. I think it is good for both my horse (hopeful field hunter) and my dog but I don't want someone’s nasty horse hurting my dog or my dog to be the cause of a nasty incident so I am careful. I've never been at a dog-free barn in my life; to me they go hand in hand. The only problem dogs I know tend to be owned by stupid people so if I ran a barn I would just instill the "No Stupid People" rule. Makes every other barn rule redundant anyways.
    "look deep into his pedigree. Look for the name of a one-of-a-kind horse who lends to his kin a fierce tenacity, a will of iron, a look of eagles. Look & know that Slew is still very much with us."

Buddy-roo thanks for the hugs. However the horse didn't get spooked by the dog, he was bitten by the dog. The JRT latched onto his hock and sunk his teeth in and didn't let go! My trainer told me (3 days later) that the little sucker went flying through the air when my horse started bucking. She also told me the girl ran to her dog crying over him while I was lying there, bleeding and semi-conscious. Screw me, how's my little poopsie that bit the big bad horsey that sent him flying ass over ears.

My trainer was screaming at the girl to go call 911. She sat there crying over her dog. Finally someone from inside the barn heard the yelling came out and ran to call 911. She . . just. . . sat . . .there. Her freakin dog was banged up pretty bad, like I care.

My horse had some lovely puncture wounds and tears in his hock from the dog. Luckily a small dog, but he had to be treated for that. More big bucks, plus they had to pay for him to be in full training while I was laid up. My trainer was not cheap. All in all it cost them and their insurance company close to $200,000.

But I did get to ride in an ambulance, whoo hoo! Very exciting until you realize that you are so screwed up that you are actually in an ambulance. whoops! This is gonna leave a mark for sure! And. . . and . . . I tore a huge hole in a pair of brand spanking new breeches! They had to pay for those babies also!!

This is just a note to folks to please please be careful. I agree that dogs and horses can coexist nicely. The barn wouldn't be the barn without a couple of pooches I agree.

Those of you that take your dogs to the barn, can you guarantee that your loose dog will never chase the barn cat under someones horse? That it will never get into a fight with another dog and end up in the arena under someones horse? Can you guarantee the other folks on horseback that these things will never happen? If you can't then your dog has no business being off a leash around horses. Or be sure to have some serious homeowners insurance and no conscience. How would you feel had it been your dog that did that to me???

Think about that when you are enjoying your next ride (cause I sure can't) and your dog is loose when other people have their horses out. Sorry not gonna budge an inch on this one. If no one else is mounted or has their horse out fine, you and poochie can have the run of the place, but the minute someone shows up please leash or contain your dog.

We know how stuff happens with the best trained horses that can get folks killed, thats why they are called accidents. However the insurance companies call it negligence and that is when its gonna cost ya big time. But never ever as much as it has cost me. Giving up your life's passion because someone else was a self-serving fool just plain sucks.

I've actually had more bad luck with ill behaved kids than dogs in my years of boarding....kids running and banging around horses.

Quote Originally Posted by sisu27 View Post
    If my dog is in a dog friendly setting and off leash and minding his own business...shut up about it.
    This is the point - there is plenty of disagreement here about whether or not a public barn is 'dog friendly'. At a public barn, there should be a reasonable expectation of being able to work around your horse without the nuisance of a loose dog. My definition of "dog friendly" would be a place where everyone there was perfectly content with loose dogs. Like a dog park. Or a place where the dog would not come into contact with people who did not WANT contact with a strange dog. Like a private barn or an open field. Not a public barn.
    "To understand the soul of a horse is the closest human beings can come to knowing perfection."

Sisu27, I understand what you are saying. But like Swale I am wondering, what do you consider dog friendly? I show my setters, you can't get anymore dog friendly than a dog show. However don't let them catch you with your dog off leash unless you are in the middle of an obedience trial.

I have boarded many places where the trainers dogs were present and caused no problems, except for the one extremely deaf little fart who would fall asleep in the arena. He was more of a joke than a nusiance though. I have had my horses startled by dogs running through the barn, although no one was hurt so oh well!

So please for our edification please explain "dog friendly" to us, or your interpretation of it. Thanks! Cause when I see a loose dog I won't just shut up. Not when that dog could cause me or my animals harm in anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by sisu27 View Post
    I am at a small barn and I don't let my dog off leash or out of the truck unless the coast is clear. I think it is good for both my horse (hopeful field hunter) and my dog but I don't want someone’s nasty horse hurting my dog
    Someone's nasty horse hurting your dog?? It is the horse's home for goodness sake. Sheesh!
    MnToBe Twinkle Star: "Twinkie"
    http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...wo/009_17A.jpg

Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

We live on a hunt fixture, dogs and hounds have to get along, so they do. My Border Collie cross had to learn to respect horses, no barking, no chasing. The Lab had to learn you may NOT run 180 MPH under a horse on the trail, you must go around. And the Paint mare that HATED dogs just had to learn to respect them. No crabby face or swishy tails or flying feet allowed, especially with kids around. We have friends that bring horses and dogs over to play and ride. We have a running joke that the dogs that drop by (and some do, sans owner) are at "Camp Gibson" or "visiting Aunt Amanda's".

That being said, I probably can't take either one of my dogs off leash to another farm. I'm afraid they'll eat the cats or anything remotely cat-like (better know as prey). We have an evil attack cat that has taught them some bad habits. I could train the 1200 lb horse to leave the dogs alone, but that damned 12 lb cat has me licked.

i have seen a few accidents with dogs and horses

my horses are used to dogs, as i have them to , but bring them up either before or after my horses in or out,
    i then go and take them home, i dont like other dogs on my place as i have horses and i have cats and its there home, i also teach kids and adults i do not want a og in my way

i lost a client once-- he had a staff bull terrrier very much like a pit bull but on short legs

anyways he came in my field and let it of the lead----- i said kinfly put your dog on the lead he why? its a field and i said yeap and i own it ? whycant my dog run around for abit?
    becuase iam a repsonsible owner i have kids horses and cats--- i do not want your dog chasing or kiing my cats and idont want him to upset any of my lesson if you dont like my simple rule the gates over there- he collected his dog his kid and went

a freind of mines dad who lived down the road was the only person other than the vets
    that i let them use the field, vets when done for treatment always asked if ther dog could go to the loo-- they asked they got

friend dad walk his dog in my fields and had key to my gate, as his dog was a rotti, then a masstiff, becuase he walked his dogs -- at 10.30pm 12/30pm and 6am and then again at 8am, when the horses were in he checked my fields bit like home security dog patrol

once when his daughter was on holiday he came in with her dog, and his then i had chickens
    bathams only two at that time as they all grew old and died out, but harry and dean were the only two left an they was freindly,, he was sitting down on a barrel when his daughters dog saw the chicken and broke his lead-- he was just a mutt of a dog a xbreed, but got hold of deana and bite her in half malc was trying to get the dog off the chicken
    but failed
    that guy was s heart broken and clamed his self, he knew my animals were my friends
    and felt so hurt that i was hurt by it, which i was but also aprrecieted it wasnt his fault it was one of those senerios that happens from time to time.
    he eventually emigrated to spain, 6nths after moving he lost his dog, she couldnt take the heat he has a boxer there now, but still when he visits he sstill apologetic
    i said malc mate its ok

my point leash or not things happen, i am a dog owner doesnt matter what type of breed of dog you hae they can all do damage- they all have teeth its how you bring them up and how you are with your dog and even the best trained dog can make a mistake just like a human can- they not frigging perfect--

so i have a no dog rule - plus they pi up hay straw given the chance and the other thing that people fail to realise which i will put in big letters so my point is across welcome or not

in BARNS SCHOOLS AND LIVERY YARDS THERE ARE CHILDREN AND DOGS POOH CAUSES BLINDNESS AND WHEN THE DOG POOHS NOT VERY MANY OWNERS PICK IT UP THEY LEAVE IT YOUR CHILD IS THEREFORE AT RISK OF BLINDNESS BY ANOTHER IRRESPONSIBLE ACTIONS OF OWNING A DOG HAVE A NO DOG RULE FOR OUTSIDERS

will add i pick up my dogs pooh i have a dog litter bin added to my lane at the end of my property becuase i am a no through road people walk there dogs down the country lane
    they used to let them pooh on my grass verge i ahve to weed that same verge as it has ragwort i do not want to put my hands in dog pooh ( have gloves on)
    so installed a dog litter bin as its against the law to not to pick up dog pooh in public places the fine on the bin is for 200.00 to 2000.0

Brookes- chin up, i feel for you, dont know how big your needy was, but you could try a smaller horsse like a welsh d, as they are strong cobs upto 15,2hh, or buy a small welsh A or b
    and try driving -- that way you have all the connections with horses ave the fun but not in ridden
    we have RDA here, riders disabled asscoaition which includes driving think this is a nice compremise
    and you can have fun might enjoy it, could even have a small team of ponies ie two sec a and go for the competitions for scurrying etc, and you can compete for your country in the para olympics
    or other major events -as i am thinking you not working and have a disabled label or close to with thsoe kinda injuires no offence meant but theres always hope when its in your heart
    normally the horse changes dispilines -- in you --maybe you can change disipline to driving good luck and best wishes x