The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

OMG, we had a gelding put down last month at our barn and the manager actually credited the owners account for the second half of the month....
    i wouldn't pay!!

I echo the sentiments of all the other posters; and offer you my sympathy and condolences in this difficult time as well. I am so sorry, both for the impending loss of your mare and for the BS this barn is putting you through.

If you're hellbent on staying (which I advise against, but that's beside the point ); I would pay August's board on your remaining horse, and then bill the farm for the remaining days in July that your mare will no longer be occupying the stall. I also want to point out how strongly I agree with the first paragraph in Katarine's post.

If you decide to leave, which I would strongly suggest, I wouldn't even give notice; but would definitely be using one hand to punch somebody in the crotch on my way out and flipping them the bird with the other... Then again, I'm not known for any remarkable capacities of anger management, either.

Of course, I am more than willing to excecute said crotch-punching on your behalf, and would also relish the opportunity to kick them once they're down, too. You know, like they're doing to you.

Huge hugs to you, I'm so sorry you're going through this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Martha Drum View Post
    ...But I don't want to sit helmetless on my horse while he lies on the ground kicking a ball around without a bridle while Leatherface does an interpretive dance with his chainsaw around us.

I am sorry that you're having to endure this on top of losing your horse.

I might be inclined to have a face-to-face with the barn owner and say something like you just wanted to clarify they want you to pay board on a dead horse.

Unbelievable.

Again, I'm so sorry.

wow... thats horrible... i don't think they should've asked you to do that
    it's heaven through the ears of a horse :]

That's just really, really insensitive. If they MUST ask you for August board (altho I dont see why they should) they could at the very least have waited for a more appropriate time. The e-mail method is tacky. They should have approached you about it in person.

I understand that the BO needs to make money, I understand most barns require 30 day's notice but there's such a thing as bending the rules and doing the "right thing" simply in the name of being a decent and compassionate human being.

I am a firm believer in karma, what-goes-around-comes-around, you reep what you sow, etc. You can't kick people when they're down like that and not expect it to bite you in the rear end eventually. IMO, the BO needs to be gracious regarding August's board on your mare and forgive the 30-day policy in this case.

You poor thing. In this time of grief, you shouldn't have to worry about your insensitive BO, too. My condolences.
    "If ever I did not have a horse or dog in my keeping, I should feel I had lost touch with the earth." ~Beryl Markham

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrot's View Post
    They didn't get their thirty days' notice and they want their pint of blood. Suggest you pay for the empty stall rent but not the feed, labour etc. and if it gets filled during the month, they owe you.
    Sometimes the word of mouth reputation is worth more than the few $$. Bad luck - I'm sorry at this time.
    I would try this too. I think what they are doing is in very poor taste and does not make 'business' sense in the long run either. I cannot imagine them not agreeing to at least take of the expenses they would have if a horse were actually in the stall...

Sorry for the extra 'stuff' you are having to deal with right now.
    When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change.

BringMaxHome.com

Quote Originally Posted by cloudyandcallie View Post
    how nice of you to do that. I wouldn't expect to have a refund, but if I had another horse there I'd want the extras for him. That was really nice of you to do that. And I hope that you still have that boarder with another horse.
    Thanks...in this case...no it was her only horse but it felt like the right thing to do. I felt so bad for her. I also knew that she had a HUGE vet and farrier bill as well as the backhoe man to pay for. I am sure she needed it more than I did.

If you do stay and have to pay the August board, maybe you could offer the stall to a local rescue for that month. At least it would be one less horse they would have to feed for 30 days.

The fact that they emailed you, IMO, says something. They didn't even ask you in person, probably because they know it's a $hitty thing to do and it's much easier to do a $hitty thing to a person thru email vs. face to face.

I wouldn't pay. Your horse isn't going to be there in August! The stall is no longer yours come August 1st. Maybe they do need money, but frankly it's downright scary if their financial situation could be ruined because of one horse's board going away.

I'd leave. Slap a check for August's board for your other horse in their grubby little hands, along with your 30-day notice. Then I'd smile and say, "I'm so glad I had you to comfort me and make me feel better during a really terrible time." Use as much sarcasm as humanly possible.

Although, if you really want to stay on good terms with these people (which I wouldn't, but that's me) you could try to work a deal on the empty stall. I hate that idea, but it's probably the only way to stay on a decent level with them from now on.

Jerks.

I have to agree with those who say to move your horse. I think you'll find the insensitive nature of the BO will leave such a bad taste in your mouth that you'll find yourself dreading going to the barn even if you have friends there and you'll find yourself wanting to move in the not too distant future anyway. The BO's actions are just unconscionable. I have no words. I'm very sorry about your mare. Saying good bye is hard enough without having someone bust you in the chops at the same time. My utmost sympathy.

Quote Originally Posted by 2TBs View Post
    On Wednesday I am having to put my mare down. I got an e-mail from the barn owner today that they would have to charge me her August board because "they couldn't afford to loose the income."

I am kind of in a hard place because I have my other horse there and I want to stay in the barn. But I think it's kind of a crappy thing to do. Or am I wrong?

Tacky Asinine Unbelievably RUDE

I'd tell the to kiss my butt - and i am a BO

If you boarded here, I would be with you helping you through this difficult time. You would have the utmost care and concern for both you and your horse - How unspeakably RUDE they are - tacky thoughtless EVIL!
    "If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there"

Wow. I agree that this is not only tacky, but cruel.
    So sorry you and your mare have to go through this.
    Your other horse would be better off somewhere else. Hugs to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara in TN View Post
    like say a 800lb tusked boar who pees on his front legs??...wanna borrow mine ??

edited to add...Calvin says that an auction house cow with Johnes would do as well...
    Oh, Tamara, you definitely owe me a new keyboard

To 2TBs: I put my mare down on the 9th of June. The barn owner knew it was coming, but didn't know exactly when (or probably if I'd even really go through with it) until the week before. I asked her if I could prorate the board for June: she said yes. I asked if I could get my deposit back (a month of board): she said yes. And she gave me a hug the day I put the big girl down. THAT is the way you treat clients.

I would consider that tacky. Very Tacky.
    You should call them up and speak your mind. If they want to put a bill on your hands for a month you're not even there, they should be ready for a very nicely worded phone call from you.
    Don't even doubt it, what they did is totally wrong.
    Absolutely in every single way.

.. I am so sorry about your mare..

I cannot imagine anyone being that heartless and greedy--unbelievable!!

Can you give us a hint what part of the country you are in? I'll be avoiding barns in that area forever now..!

I am not trying to go against the stream or start a trainwreck, but that was sooo unblelievably rude could it perhaps be about something else?

Is the BO against you putting the mare down and trying to make you re-think it? Is there any reasonable non-assinine explaination at all

They sent the e-mial 2 days before one of the worst days in your life?

Quote Originally Posted by 2TBs View Post
    On Wednesday I am having to put my mare down. I got an e-mail from the barn owner today that they would have to charge me her August board because "they couldn't afford to loose the income."

I am kind of in a hard place because I have my other horse there and I want to stay in the barn. But I think it's kind of a crappy thing to do. Or am I wrong?
    poppycock-- shes not there------ the horse is being pts

end off----- lovely barn owners you have, do what you have to, if billed send it back with a line through it and N/A not applicable

degusting and insentive, and to be honest unproffesional in my eyes no compasion and show what type of people they are -- ie money grabbing gits
    they have enough time to advertise and fill the space after your horse has gone so effectiviely they would be getting two lots of income for siad same box and grassing

- do what you have to remove all your stuff 1st and do the horse last so you dont have to return to the yard
    you have good friends here and will support you all the way with your horse when the time comes good luck xx

um--- anybody near 2tbs to offer her livery for the remaining horse
    so she can do this---- 30days notice which is paid for one horse-- equals 30 days notice on the box-- so i theory --- she will owe nothing as thomas 1 said

but she neeeds to move the good horse and her stuff before she deal with the horse that has to be pts

offers to help her out of this lovely yard or know of a better one nearby

Not only would I leave but for you, confront the BO in your way (if you feel comfortable more with an email or note, so be it) and state your feelings. This is just for you and you only. This will eat you up that people can be so horrid. You need to confront this person for your peace of mind.
    So sorry this happened to you. Doesn't it just absolutely stun you how truly deeply narcassitic people can be?