The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Default Tacky? Or not?

On Wednesday I am having to put my mare down. I got an e-mail from the barn owner today that they would have to charge me her August board because "they couldn't afford to loose the income."

I am kind of in a hard place because I have my other horse there and I want to stay in the barn. But I think it's kind of a crappy thing to do. Or am I wrong?
    **Riders of Rohan**

Incredibly tacky. Your horse isn't going to be *there* in August - they need to eat that cost, not you!

OMG. That is horrendous.

It is not your responsibility to pay for their empty stalls!

The majority of barns collect board payments "ahead" of time--i.e., you pay for August's board on Aug. 1, not Aug. 30. You will not have that horse in a stall in August. You do not owe them any money for that stall.

Plus, that's incredibly rude, insensitive, ballsy, class-less, and tacky. Obviously they sent you an email because they know it's an awful thing to do and they're too chicken$hit to say it to your face.

Personally, I would leave over something like this. I cannot believe the nerve of some people.

And, so sorry that you've had to make this difficult decision. Peace to you and your mare......hugs.

Talk about kicking you while you're down.

Tacky, insensitive and RUDE.

I think it is incredibly tacky as well. I understand that they have costs that they need to cover, but your mare is not going to be at the facility eating their hay and grain. She will also be one less horse to water and one less to turn out and bring in. They could also use her stall for a new boarder if one comes in.

If they are in a huge financial bind, I could see them asking you to pay for the empty stall and a part of the other costs of the facility... but you should not have to pay for grain or hay or labor if you will not be using that service.

I know you said you like this place, but I could never stay at a barn that asked this of me.

Is there anything in your boarding contract that refers to the death of the horse being boarded?

I am sorry for your loss, I am sure that this is not helping you grieve at all either. Not fair at all

I'd write a letter thanking them for their large amount of sensitivity and sympathy at this point in time, and give your 30 days notice to leave.

Hopefully they'd get the sarcasm through the letter.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

They didn't get their thirty days' notice and they want their pint of blood. Suggest you pay for the empty stall rent but not the feed, labour etc. and if it gets filled during the month, they owe you.
    Sometimes the word of mouth reputation is worth more than the few $$. Bad luck - I'm sorry at this time.

Thats terrible. How rude and insensitive. You are loosing a good friend and companion, and all they care about is loosing money.

I'd be giving them my notice NOW and skedaddling (spelling??) whether you like the rest of the place or not. If they are in it for the money THAT much, things will go downhill fast.

Thats just inappropriate, in my opinion. They still have time to get a boarder to fill the stall before August 1st. Puh-lease.

OTOH, my deepest condolences for having to put your mare down.

If they realy need the money, and are saying so, you should pay them. I know that there is a very small profit margin for barn owners, and it is entirely possible that your stall rent, is their grocery money. Maybe you have a friend who would like a vacation from their horse for a month, or needs a ring to ride in for a month. You might come up with a way to use the stall.

One (full) month's notice is the norm. Depends on what your boarding agreement says. So I guess they are entitled to it. Does seem kind of heartless though. Hopefully they are only doing it because they really really need the money. In which case I would be inclined to ask for some reduction for the feed, bedding and labour your horse will not be using.

Condolences for pending loss.
    I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

A month's notice implies the horse MOVING not DYING.

I would probably cry on my pillow, then hand them my notice.

Send them an email saying "I understand that you have a 30 day notice for the horse being moved, I was unaware that this applied to a horse dying a sudden death. Enclosed is a check for the august board for my dead horse, as well as my 30 days notice for my living horse as I find that I can no longer board at this facility."

I would not only be pissed at how heartless they are but very worried that a facility that can't go without ONE board check and must rip it from the heart of a grieving owner is one step from not affording to buy hay or shavings.

Not tacky - cruel. I would move, too.

I agree. Not just tacky...cruel.

I too would be inclined to find a new barn and be sure to include in your notice that you really appreciate all of their sensitivity during your loss.

Goodness. I am so sorry. It's bad enough to have to say goodbye...this is just salt in the wound. And ya know what? I wouldn't expect them to give you a prorated refund for the remaining days in the month that a horse is gone....but for crying out loud, your horse is DYING, not going to a new barn.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Cost of doing business - people bouncing cheques, leaving without 30 days notice, your kind of scenario where it is an unfortunate turn of events. They should suck it up and buy KD if necessary. It is hard for you, though, to have to have bad feelings and still try to enjoy the barn and your horses. Is it the BO or BM being the stickler?

Quote Originally Posted by 2TBs View Post
    On Wednesday I am having to put my mare down. I got an e-mail from the barn owner today that they would have to charge me her August board because "they couldn't afford to loose the income."

I am kind of in a hard place because I have my other horse there and I want to stay in the barn. But I think it's kind of a crappy thing to do. Or am I wrong?
    well the ugly side of me says, put her down in the stall and leave her there 30 days... you are paying for the room after all
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

I think that is ridiculous. They are getting a week's board with no horse there, that is enough. Even if you owed them something, it is 30 days notice, so 30 days from when they were informed that the horse would be put down.
    I am a BO. It is tough times, but that is really mean.
    Hugs to you and a pox on them.

Default very tacky and probably illegal

you're not leaving w/o notice, your horse is dying (sorry for you and your horse). Legally they cannot charge you.
    Of course if your horse is being buried there, you're pretty much stuck with that and if you want to keep your other horse there
    if you pay, then make sure you get YOUR HAY and YOUR GRAIN, obiviously don't give that grain to your horse, but do give him/her the hay.
    and any supps or daily wormer or equi-aid or whatever that your deceased horse would have gotten.
    and btw, legally, if you pay for a stall in august, the BO cannot use that stall for any other purpose without refunding the money to you. So if another boarder is coming in, the money comes back to you.
    if they want to be tacky, and illegally charge you, I don't think it is a good thing for you to stay there much longer.
    How horrible, you have to put your horse down, and you are being charged illegally for august board. Just goes to show how bad some people are.
    It's not the economy, it's greed.

Do you have a contract? What does it say? just curious for those BOs and BM's among us: if pookey dies 7/30 what happens to August's board money? No contract? No payee no monee. Frankly they had 6 days notice, and lacking a contract, they can poop in one paw and await your cash in the other, and see which one fills up faster.

Is the barn full? If they were full w/a wait list that stall could be filled post-haste. Sounds like it's empty and they are short on cash and can't lose that months worth of money.

Sucks for them b/c now they'll be out the money your other horse brought them. I'd take my damn horse home and tie him to the mailbox before they got one more red cent from me. And I'd padlock MY stall shut for that month. Sure they can get bolt cutters but that's their sweat and hassle, not mine. That's cruel and short, short sighted. Wow.

I'd have said more desperate, cold hearted and lacking any consideration.

I think I'd be inclined to go and as a gesture of sarcasm to leave a labelled collection tin with the smallest denominator coin in and for them in the tack room. They're clearly more desperate for money than they're concerned about their clients.

Sorry to hear about your horse too.
    Last edited by Thomas_1; Jul. 21, 2008 at 07:28 PM.

Default if it weren't for...

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara in TN View Post
    well the ugly side of me says, put her down in the stall and leave her there 30 days... you are paying for the room after all
    if it weren't for the fact that it would be disrespectful to the horse, I'd agree with you.
    hmmmm, maybe use it to store something else stinky?????????????

however if you do pay for that stall, then you have the right to bring in another horse and put it in there. Like a friend's horse out on pasture, etc. for the month.
    If you horse had died on July 3rd, they would have had your board for the rest of this month. wonder if they would have tried to charge you for august too?
    not good pr for the barn. hope the BO is a poster here.