The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by HighFlyinBey+ View Post
    Perhaps you SHOULD pop into the Pile. You'd find that the reality of the posts about you bear little resemblance to the summary you've posted here. Nice try though.
    LOL, if you wanted to know the truth you would ask me rather than trying to develop it on a board I don't even visit. Even if it wasn't for the snarky things said about me, the snarky things said about others would drive me batty.

I wouldn't bring it here if you didn't.

Riddle me this: how can a person know what is (or is not) said about her on a board she does not visit? It's a mystery wrapped in an enigma, that is.

Totally agree with JSwan (and have said it myself) solution to this question is not to let the child ride the pony. Easy as pie.

Ambrey, you took good advice and hunted for insults and innuendo. and now you're rolling in it like a dog in stink.

Onto the ignore list of one, you go. Take your self-pitying woe is me everyone lies and no one understands, elsewhere. like to those people who KNOW you and KNOW the truth. Whatever it is?

Sweetie, I try to find truth by reading the source & not relying on the impressions of others. In this case, the source is YOU and your posts, both here and other boards you've managed to get yourself banned from.

Seriously, do yourself a huge favor and just stop posting. Your words and yours alone are only working against you.
    I'm not arguing, I'm just explaining why I'm right
    Violence doesn't end violence. It extends it. Break the cycle.

Crocodile tears aren't going to win you friends or sympathy. You asked our opnions on a particular situation. When you did not get the suck up answers you were after, you tried to call "witch hunt." When that didn't work, nor did the sound advice of many telling you to just stop typing, you resort to the classic "you got your way, I'm upset, happy now" response.

Go ahead and put the whole thread on ignore. Fingers in your ears and "la la I can't hear you" is most certainly going to be your best defense in the mess YOU created because YOU don't have the self-discipline to stop typing.
    I'm not arguing, I'm just explaining why I'm right
    Violence doesn't end violence. It extends it. Break the cycle.

Ambrey, if you don't have equine liability insurance, you honestly ought to think about riding your own horses and not allowing anyone outside of your family members to ride them. Even the pony, who by your own words is characterized as rather hot, intolerant of a leg out of place, and somewhat opinionated and quirky. I'm glad he helped you regain your confidence, but I doubt strongly that he would do that for most people whose nerve is shaken.

There's one question I am curious about, that I don't think you've answered. My apologies if you have, and I missed it. Before you offered the ride on this pony to this teen, did any of you bother to TALK TO YOUR TRAINERS about it?? He or she probably has a fairly detailed plan to help this overmounted teen get her confidence up, improve whatever skills need improved, and eventually work better with her own horse. If you were my student, I would be seriously irked with both you and her. You say you don't think she was scared by your pony, but if her own horse scares her by getting out of her control, she is not fearless, whatever brave face she chooses to show.

I'm sure you meant well. However, I think that enough reasons have already been posted on this thread to show you that it was not a good decision. It's also become quite apparent that you don't want to hear that, so you'll probably decide that I must dislike you, too. Frankly, I think you've been offered some unwelcome but good advice, but you won't listen, so you won't learn. That doesn't make me dislike you, it just makes me roll my eyes and write you off as not worth the effort. You don't have to like the opinions, but at some point, you might learn to evaluate them with a bit less defensive passion.

One more bit of advice that you can ignore at will. Go back and objectively read this whole trainwreck from beginning to end, and make an honest assessment of just what type of attitude you project. Then do yourself a favor and let this thread die; it's more than run its course. And if you feel you are being unfairly maligned on TMP, take your fight there. COTH doesn't really care.

Best of luck to you, the teen, and all the horses involved.

Lots of good advice there, BN. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambrey View Post
    LOL, MP, what I don't understand is how you thought that I DON'T have a teacher? I have mentioned my trainer- did you think I wasn't riding with him?

I've been back to riding for only about 2 months. I've had to take a couple of breaks due to back issues. During that time, I've been working with my trainer on me as well And I have a saint of a pony who puts up with my crappy riding for now.
    A trainer isn't necessarily a teacher. My first trainer is an excellent horseman, but he doesn't excel at teaching people. I now take lessons from an instructor who is a skilled horsewoman, but she also can teach people how to ride. Unfortunately, the combination isn't all that common.

I hope your trainer is also a teacher. But I suspect he put your horse in a pelham to keep you from getting hurt, so I bet not. A "teacher" would have suggested giving you lessons on the pony (or a school horse) until you are ready to control the big boy without the need for leverage.

But I could be wrong. Again, good luck.

And just to keep on topic ... your pony already has four green riders. That's why he's nervous. No. 5 (fearless teen) sent him over the edge. That's why he ran off. Do the little guy a favor and don't overload him anymore.

I might also suggest not giving your critics such easy ammunition (i.e., posting a vid showing your hands moving up and down when you post). Laying low is a good philosophy in your situation .

Quote Originally Posted by mp View Post
    A trainer isn't necessarily a teacher. My first trainer is an excellent horseman, but he doesn't excel at teaching people. I now take lessons from an instructor who is a skilled horsewoman, but she also can teach people how to ride. Unfortunately, the combination isn't all that common.

I hope your trainer is also a teacher. But I suspect he put your horse in a pelham to keep you from getting hurt, so I bet not. A "teacher" would have suggested giving you lessons on the pony (or a school horse) until you are ready to control the big boy without the need for leverage.

And just to keep on topic ... your pony already has four green riders. That's why he's nervous. No. 5 (fearless teen) sent him over the edge. That's why he ran off. Do the little guy a favor and don't overload him anymore.
    I disagree with your assessment on both counts.

I have asked my trainer, do ask my trainer, and have constant dialogue with him with regards to safety. He thinks my horse is fine. He didn't even ask me or tell me when he put him in a pelham, and he explained his reasoning very clearly. I wasn't able to then translate that, but he wouldn't blow smoke up my ass, he's just not like that. He's a straight shooter. I've asked him whether I should sell Smokey, he says Smokey is fine... but he's green still, so continued training is important (my words, not his).

And he's a great teacher.

On the second account, my pony was MORE nervous when he was full time in a h/j training stable. He seems really happy and to know his job- I think he just got a little too happy with someone who could ride him at a canter and not flop too much But indeed there is a point there about the pony and what's right for him, and BN made a point earlier about whether her trainer has plans, and of course the safety of the teen is a top priority. She hasn't ridden him again and I haven't had a chance to discuss it with her mom, I did discuss my concerns (including those brought up here) with my mom (who is the pony's silent partner).

As an aside, BN was exactly right- my anger at a few specific people is nothing you guys need to read about. I deleted several of my posts.

Quote Originally Posted by kcmel View Post
    I might also suggest not giving your critics such easy ammunition (i.e., posting a vid showing your hands moving up and down when you post). Laying low is a good philosophy in your situation .
    But KC, that's really me. And my trainer was in the arena, probably at that minute saying "keep your hands down." I'm not ashamed to be who I am, warts and all

I'm super weak and things aren't going that great for me right now riding-wise. I'm OK with that, and if anyone has advice on how to keep my %*&( arms from tensing up and my $%&# legs from moving around I'd love to hear it

Ambrey, you must not have been bullied/teased much as a child, your coping strategies need a little work I'll share my patented Secret to Internet Success - if someone is posting things in response to your thread that you don't like, all you have to do is say, "Thank you for your input." You can disagree, you can be offended, but if you post your disagreement and offense and try to vehemently explain why You Are Right, all it does is light the fires for others who want to prove why You Are Wrong.

So thank people for taking the time to read and respond to your posts (because they are essentially doing you a favor), and then do with their responses whatever you want to do. And if that's inwardly laugh at them and completely ignore everything they said, well that's a-okay.

I hope all turns out well for your family, the pony, and the other girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Cita View Post
    Ambrey, you must not have been bullied/teased much as a child, your coping strategies need a little work I'll share my patented Secret to Internet Success - if someone is posting things in response to your thread that you don't like, all you have to do is say, "Thank you for your input." You can disagree, you can be offended, but if you post your disagreement and offense and try to vehemently explain why You Are Right, all it does is light the fires for others who want to prove why You Are Wrong.
    LOL, actually I was sometimes, but I have an intense need for justice and truth in all things. I'm kind of like an obsessive/compulsive superman.

I was probably backing away from the middle school bully saying "but! but! You've got it all WRONG!"

I disagree with your assessment on both counts.

I have asked my trainer, do ask my trainer, and have constant dialogue with him with regards to safety. He thinks my horse is fine. He didn't even ask me or tell me when he put him in a pelham, and he explained his reasoning very clearly. I wasn't able to then translate that, but he wouldn't blow smoke up my ass, he's just not like that.
    How would you know if you didn't understand what he was talking about? And that's what I mean about teachers. They keep trying to help you understand until you. get. it.

Eh ... beside the point. I hope you're not still riding the big guy in a pelham 4 months from now. But I won't be surprised if you are.

Guys... if ever there was a drama-queen/troll -- the OP is it.

Let's stop feeding this one, shall we?

Reminds me of Cello's Pride, and a whole host of other [folks] we've had on this site in the past.
    Last edited by Moderator 1; Jul. 22, 2008 at 01:42 PM. Reason: name calling

If the OP wants to continue to post and seek input in this public forum, she's welcome to do so. Folks are welcome to provide their opinions on the situation, based upon the info they have at their disposal from the original poster in this and other threads.

If the thread proceeds, please continue to stick to the main topic and avoid adding in personal commentary from either "side."

Thanks!
    Mod 1

He didn't even ask me
    or tell me when he put him in a pelham,
    He did NOT tell you when he put your horse (back) in a pelham? Nor were you asked about it?
    and he explained his reasoning very clearly.
    but then he explained why he did it? How can he explain something he did not tell you about?

I wasn't able to then translate that, but he wouldn't blow smoke up my ass, he's just not like that. He's a straight shooter. I've asked him whether I should sell Smokey, he says Smokey is fine... but he's green still, so continued training is important (my words, not his).
    I've been out weeding so my brain is a little more fuzzy than usual, but this bit above did not make sense to me and I broke it up the way I was reading it since perhaps that is where the confusion is coming from?

This is my experience, take it or leave it. I just retired my hot horse whom I had for 17 years. We had ALOT of fun, and some hair-raising times that scared people around us. In many ways I think I was too dumb to recognize those times. I was certainly too inexperienced to do the horse justice and way too poor to afford the guidance that would have, therefore, been prudent. We muddled through, however I look back- and while I love that horse to death- never, ever again will I overhorse myself. It was not good for either of us.
    That is not a comment on you/smokey/lightning. I have no idea of your skills or their green-ness/training. Just sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Angela Freda View Post
    He did NOT tell you when he put your horse (back) in a pelham? Nor were you asked about it? ..but then he explained why he did it? How can he explain something he did not tell you about?

I've been out weeding so my brain is a little more fuzzy than usual, but this bit above did not make sense to me and I broke it up the way I was reading it since perhaps that is where the confusion is coming from?....
    This was my response, too, but I figured I would just be agitating her to post that, but I thought the same thing. Trainer did it on his own ? Trainer didn't tell you he was putting the horse back in the pelham? Trainer explained to you why but you can't tell us why? How could he not tell you about the pelham but he told you about the pelham? That's wierd. Oh well. She won't answer these confusing things, but it doesn't matter.

Hope the horses are fine.
    Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

And if you did know me, you'd know that my friends are also my harshest critics However, the people who are posting here are not my friends. They've never had a nice or even decent thing to say to me about anything. Their entire lives revolve around criticism.

Stories get built up and what they are talking about isn't actually my life. How am I supposed to respond to that? Especially when they throw in snarky nastiness like "I've determined from your story that you don't know what you're doing."

Now GLS, who is usually pretty nice, is telling me I'm endangering my kid with no care for her. WHAT??? I asked why a normally wonderful pony would take off on someone, and that is the result?

Half the criticisms seem to somehow involve my trainer, so I can't use him as a source of advice, clearly And if I say my trainer tells me something, nobody believes me anyway.

So see how this is not real life? In real life, my friends can come up to me and say "dude, you're doing that wrong!" and we'll laugh. I'm not an intense person, I find humor in everything.
    Have you ever thought that perhaps folks are posting in response to what you've said. So rather than being "snarkey" they're posting their opinion based on what YOU'VE said.

Seems to me that in your mind everyone is wrong and you're right.

Now it may well be that in real life there's some sort of transformation from what you present on the internet but for certain here you're coming across as one of those who posts for attention and reassurance and sycophantic fawning.

So here we go

Hey Ambrey, You've a cool pony there and clearly you and him bond and get on great, but he sussed out the kid. The kid must be the problem because of course you have a great pony. You just need to be sure that you ride this fantastic pony yourself because he obviously loves you and you relate well and understand each other. It must have been his way of letting you know that he really doesn't want you to let other people ride him.

I don't agree with Ambrey letting this kid ride this pony, but there's something about this pile-on mentality and personal insults that really bothers me. I think it is excessive. I think people egg eachother on and enjoy it way, way too much. I think some are sincerely trying to convince her, but I think it's getting an awful lot of momentum.

Ambrey will learn her lessons in due time, or not. Some people do stupid stuff for years and sort of just skate along, everyone wondering when someone is going to get killed. I think the posters here gang up too much on unpopular people they talk to about eachother, egg eachother on, and judge too much and pick apart every little thing way, way too much - detailed analysis of what anyone has said over time is going to bring out a lot of contradictions in what anyone says.

I'm not saying Ambrey is right, i don't like what she's doing, I'm sick of her arguing about draft horses and dressage and she does just as much picking and name calling and "over-analysis-by-picking" as anyone else, for sure deserves much of what she gets.... But I'm starting to not like very much what we are doing here, either.