The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

[QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by Ambrey View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamara in TN View Post

I think this is the case- he's not green, he's too sensitive. He does need to be desensitized to the leg a bit (because right now we can't do laterals at the walk, lol!) but I don't want to turn him into a school pony- he's great the way he is.
    I have never thought that many school ponies had very nice lives...sure there are those that proclaim how happy and content and perfect the animals are and they just might be...

and for every one of those there are 1,200 others that are just dead men walking making that $40/hour for their owners...not here and not there, so tuned out to everything that carved merry go round horses seem happier....I have turned down that lifestyle for two of my older pony geldings twice now...
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

Seeing so many names on my ignore list pop up on my thread tells me that the TMP crowd has arrived.
    Most of the "TMP crowd" are knowledgeable horsepeople with many years' experience. It would be wise to take them off your ignore list and read what they post.
    Last edited by Glenaerie; Jul. 21, 2008 at 05:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenaerie View Post
    Most of the "TMP crowd" are knowledgeable horsepeople with many years experience. It would be wise to take them off your ignore list and read what they post.
    TMP ????
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

TMP ????
    The Manure Pile, where the truth matters less than popular opinion.

http://themanurepile39728.yuku.com/

I don't read there because it drives me batty, but I hear what people say and it bears little resemblance to reality. TMP is where people go to decide who to hate on the other BBs.

I don't read there because it drives me batty, but I hear what people say and it bears little resemblance to reality. TMP is where people go to decide who to hate on the other BBs.
    Very odd!!!!

You're shown as on line there right now!

I think this is the case- he's not green, he's too sensitive. She actually does pretty well on her big young QH, but he is the opposite- kind of thick and bargy and strong (and a true bolter). She has experience with that type and with school horses, never with a super sensitive horse.

I think I've decided he doesn't need to be fixed, just a rider mismatch. He does need to be desensitized to the leg a bit (because right now we can't do laterals at the walk, lol!) but I don't want to turn him into a school pony- he's great the way he is.

Listen to your gut and don't put the girl on the horse again. Inexperienced/ frightened riders can drive a sensitive horse crazy, and a sensitive horse isn't going to help a greenie get confidence. Just talk to the mom about why her daughter can't ride the horse at this stage in her riding. Maybe in a couple of years, but not now.

And I quote
    I've said before that if anyone is willing to try to develop a true picture of me, of my horses, or of my situation I'm perfectly willing to talk. But if you don't want to know the truth, how can you expect me to listen to what you say?

So explain for us that don't post on TMB- or even know where it is or care- why you are posting on COTH and asking a question like this?

'We' only know what we're told. You've told us in this thread about a hot green pony scaring an already scared rider. You decide what the truth is then, as you don't seem open to hearing 'our' version of the truth.

I certainly have only commented based upon your posts on this bullitin board. You're right, that's all anyone can know of you, and you yourself have described your circumstances, riding background and experiences here on Coth.

It was well put when a poster said "Ambrey, you lack the depth of skill and perception to see the answer to your own question...Being snarky toward others with more experience who are only trying to help you and your friends stay out of trouble, proves your immaturity and inexperience, Ambrey. It does not prove how cool or above it all you think you are."

I can't for the life of me see why you are so bitter and nasty to those who express opinions that don't fit in with your perception of yourself. You have dangerously poor judgement in horse handling and in posting on bullitin boards.
    Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas_1 View Post
    Very odd!!!!

You're shown as on line there right now!
    Because I looked up the link and then followed it to see if I had the right one!

Shocker!

I don't lie, Thomas. If you ever figure that out, figuring me out will be as easy as pie.

It's hard to turn away from someone who seems to have a need you can fulfill, but sometimes you need to say "not my problem".

The Manure Pile, where the truth matters less than popular opinion.

http://themanurepile39728.yuku.com/

oh...ok thanks ! ever been to rec equestrian ???

Default Hay

Good golly everyone full moon or what?

oh...ok thanks ! ever been to rec equestrian ???
    LOL, is that one good too?

I can only read/post on one board at a time. I'm a serial monogamist when it comes to horse boards.

How fast a learner is the teen? It does sound like she managed to learn his buttons a bit while in the round-pen. I am more startled that he would consider running off considering how out of shape he is. lol If she is able to adjust her ride it might work. And Lightning getting a bit more excersize would be good for both parties. What does her mom think?

Heck I have ridden him and did not even realize he has a run away button. Or maybe he ran away because he was trying to blow his mane and forlock out of his eyes. Just to be safe you should pull it before anyone rides him again.

Quote Originally Posted by lewin View Post
    How fast a learner is the teen? It does sound like she managed to learn his buttons a bit while in the round-pen. I am more startled that he would consider running off considering how out of shape he is. lol If she is able to adjust her ride it might work. And Lightning getting a bit more excersize would be good for both parties. What does her mom think?

Heck I have ridden him and did not even realize he has a run away button. Or maybe he ran away because he was trying to blow his mane and forlock out of his eyes. Just to be safe you should pull it before anyone rides him again.
    And clip his fetlocks, right? The clippers should be arriving any day now Maybe the weight of his feathers made him crazy?

She seemed to really enjoy learning his buttons. Her mom is willing to start her out in the bullpen at a walk/trot.

My inclination right now is to a) get the waiver, b) let them go in the bullpen, mom in the bullpen with her and me watching (I am not an instructor nor do I wish to play one anywhere). If I see any more signs of malfeasance on his part I'll pull the plug.

If the girl can learn to keep her legs off of him it will be fine (his run off button is, apparently, about 3" behind the girth on his belly. Try it next time you ride him!).

The Lightning Commandment- thou shalt not pummel my sides or my mouth, lest I punish you mightily.

My gelding has a lot of weird buttons from previous owners... so it took a while for me to figure it out. I can ride and handle him just fine and he goes well for me but when other people get on him it's a different story. He's never done anything bad when others have ridden him- but he def. doesn't go well. He gets all tense, head up, and a lot of times he looks like he's so confused! I've had a friend on him who is a really good rider (a lot better than me!) and she would ask him for a trot and he'd give her this little pokey trot.... she had to keep leg on him at all times to get him to stay into a a somewhat trotting way of going. He is NEVER like that- this horse is usually full of go.

I'm always hesitant to put people on him because he is a pretty strong ride and takes a bit of time to figure out. He's pretty much the only horse I ride, so I don't realize how strong he really is until I ride another horse. He's the type that you have to learn to ride- you can't just put a beginner up on him and send him off to podunk around the ring. When I first got him we were both 'green'- I had ridden in the past but mainly western, he was trained in the past (supposedly as an eventer and hunter jumper but I'm not sure I believe it!) but had sat for 3+ years without anyone working with him whatsoever.... so we both had to learn along the way. Now I ride him without even thinking twice- but when someone else gets on him they can't believe how strong he is.

I love him to death though.... he's a challange! It's just so weird to have him going really relaxed and pretty nicely for me and then see him under someone else all tense and not going well at all.
    "People ask me 'will I remember them if I make it'. I ask them 'will you remember me if I don't?'"

I think this is the case- he's not green, he's too sensitive. She actually does pretty well on her big young QH, but he is the opposite- kind of thick and bargy and strong (and a true bolter). She has experience with that type and with school horses, never with a super sensitive horse.

The actual reason I posted this post was to ask whether this is a problem with the horse that should be fixed. I do/have known the answer to the unasked question (should I let her ride?) but I hate being the bad guy and I was outnumbered.

I think I've decided he doesn't need to be fixed, just a rider mismatch. He does need to be desensitized to the leg a bit (because right now we can't do laterals at the walk, lol!) but I don't want to turn him into a school pony- he's great the way he is.
    I'm confused. I didn't get the sense from your previous posts that you were asking about a problem with your horse at all, or that you were hesitant to put the rider on. It seemed like you were saying something like, "My horse seems to need to be ridden a certain way, and he'll only do it for me! He's such a cool horse for me because I know him well, but he doesn't work for her. But I was trying to be nice and help them as an experienced horseperson and I think it will be good for her. They'll figure each other out with time." Totally different than, "I hate being the bad guy and being outnumbered," and "Should I let her ride?" or "Is this an issue with my pony?" I think you're backtracking.

The thing is, a BOLT, if it's a true bolt, will happen regardless of the rider, so it would have nothing to do with your horse needing to be ridden a certain way, like how you ride it. The occurance of a bolt has little to do with the rider's style or gripping or anything. Taking off would be more like it if a rider got on who couldn't adapt or handle the pony, and had an electric butt and gripping legs. But this really has very little to do with a horse needing to be ridden a certain way. Almost ANY horse would get hot under those circumstances. So in that case, it's actually not so much that you know your horse through and through and it needs to be ridden a certain way. If it DOES need to be ridden a certain way, there's no way in hell you should be putting a novice rider on it! If you've ridden a lot of horses that need to be ridden "a certain way", you realize it's all about subtleties, and really what you've described isn't like that. I have two horses that definitely do need to be ridden "a certain way", one more so than the other, and I'm very selective about who gets on them and in what situation. You have to be to protect their sanity and the rider's safety. The "certain way" that gets that kind of horse going well is in the details, and even an intermediate rider is just beginning to understand those nuances in a very made horse, nevermind recreate the right feeling in a more difficult horse. They're not as general as a gripping leg or electric butt. That kind of thing on a horse that needs to be ridden a certain way becomes a very dangerous situation, very fast. If this truly is the case, you're not helping the girl's confidence by putting her on a horse that is too much for her, and you're setting yourself up for disaster also.

I have to agree with the "trolls" here -- who, by the way, are actually all great horse people, and I wouldn't classify them as trolls. Some of that I know just by reading their posts. Trust me, you can weed out the knowledgeable from the fakers pretty quickly. And, we don't just know each other off of this board. I either know personally or have heard through the grapevine about a great deal of other people on this board. If a person is an excellent horse person, usually someone on this BB in the same area will know them. So it's actually not as easy to fabricate an impressive personal history as you think. The horse world is small.
    Gentleman J - "Junior" - My been-there, done-that jumper

Send Your Love - "Serena" - Aug 10th 2009, Rest in Peace

Although the argument over the OP's judgement is fascinating , I'm skipping that whole section to say that, for what it's worth, I believe the following is the best comment so far -

Quote Originally Posted by MissintheSouth View Post
    In my experience horses that "need to be ridden a certain way" usually need to be ridden by a more advanced rider.
    It can be hard learning to honestly assess your critter. It sounds like the OP's discovered her horse is not as quiet as she'd thought, and that's good, she's discovering more about her horse. I am wary of the comment that the horse doesn't have to be a school pony, though. It's true, of course, but it's also an easy out, a way to say "You know, I can live with X, so why should I spend the time to make him more flexible/tolerant/whatever?" Your horse, your decision, but if you go that route, you have to be more thoughtful about other people riding or handling him.

Quote Originally Posted by veebug22 View Post
    I'm confused. I didn't get the sense from your previous posts that you were asking about a problem with your horse at all, or that you were hesitant to put the rider on. It seemed like you were saying something like, "My horse seems to need to be ridden a certain way, and he'll only do it for me! He's such a cool horse for me because I know him well, but he doesn't work for her.
    Well, then you read something in my post that I didn't intend. He doesn't just go like that for me. He goes like that for me and all of the others who ride him, and I've never seen him do anything like that before (read Lewin's post, she's ridden him). Nobody who knows him had the slightest doubt that he'd be fine with her. Maybe not EASY, but not like what happened.

So I was asking- is it because we ride a certain way? Others said that I was a good rider and learned his buttons, I didn't say that (I did say that he's trained me well- that wasn't a brag, my trainer actually yelled at me for it).
    Last edited by Ambrey; Jul. 22, 2008 at 01:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by riverbell93 View Post
    It can be hard learning to honestly assess your critter. It sounds like the OP's discovered her horse is not as quiet as she'd thought, and that's good, she's discovering more about her horse. I am wary of the comment that the horse doesn't have to be a school pony, though. It's true, of course, but it's also an easy out, a way to say "You know, I can live with X, so why should I spend the time to make him more flexible/tolerant/whatever?" Your horse, your decision, but if you go that route, you have to be more thoughtful about other people riding or handling him.
    I do want him to be more tolerant, especially with having a leg on him. When I said I don't want him to become a school pony I more meant the type that you have to kick kick kick to get them going and keep kick, kick, kicking them to keep them going

And with that I really need to rein in my compulsive need to respond to every question or comment. I hate the idea that I'll miss learning something new by abandoning a train of thought, but I'm just gonna make myself crazy trying to convince people that I'm not making stuff up