The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Kaeleer View Post
    Maybe OP should do us all a favour and take up needlepoint? I hear that soap-making can be quite contentious, perhaps she could take that up as a hobby, and spend her time telling all the other soap-makers that they are just evil people who lack a true understanding of her handicaps as a soap-maker, and that her trainer is helping her and that he is Jesus reincarnate, and the other soapmakers should stop arguing with him.

Why isn't there a smiley face showing an exploding head? I think we need one just for Ambrey's threads.
    If the OP thinks this crowd is rude () the soapmakers will make her head explode when she acts like this in a thread. Really. The snarks on some of those boards make COTH snarkers look like pikers.

I don't belong to any naked shark spotting boards; can anyone recommend a lively one?

Quote Originally Posted by Glenaerie View Post

People are becoming frustrated because you don't seem to comprehend ("listen to") what they are writing to you, and because much of what you write in response seems contradictory and confusing in return. Frustrated people often become rude.
    It is not a problem with reading comprehension, but with a complete inability to understand what kind of assumptions are going in to people's posts. How did it go from asking about a pony to me needing to fire my trainer? I honestly don't get it.

It is human nature to only accept the information that reconfirms current beliefs rather than allow beliefs to change. So, I guess if someone believes both of my horses are scary bolters and I can't stay on a stick horse to save my life, nothing is going to change their minds.

Quote Originally Posted by KPF View Post
    Take this for what its worth, but I have to say it. Your situation with Smokey sounds so similar, and I really don't want to come on COTH one day and see a post about you having another serious accident with him.
    KPF, thanks for the BTDT You have a PM coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambrey View Post
    He is a sweet, loving horse who had a problem. He no longer has that problem.
    Reckon?

It is not a problem with reading comprehension, but with a complete inability to understand what kind of assumptions are going in to people's posts. How did it go from asking about a pony to me needing to fire my trainer? I honestly don't get it.

It is human nature to only accept the information that reconfirms current beliefs rather than allow beliefs to change. So, I guess if someone believes both of my horses are scary bolters and I can't stay on a stick horse to save my life, nothing is going to change their minds.
    Who said to fire your trainer? Someone did suggest that different trainers have different teaching strengths, and maybe yours is best with training the horses, rather than the riders. That is by no means an insult to him or to you. You believe he's doing really well with your horse, but to me (and I believe some others here) the fact that he's resorting to the pelham (but you can't explain why) raises a red flag. It's not snarking at you to raise the point. It is, at least in my case, concern for the welfare of the horse. Since you are not yet physically capable of riding more, or doing more when you ride, you don't yet need a trainer whose best talent is for teaching the rider, so it's a moot point. But at some time in the future, that may change, and you ought to try to keep an open mind about it.

It is NOT human nature to refuse any information that is inconsistent with a person's current beliefs. If it were, no one would ever learn anything. Pure BS. I will admit that ripping your riding when you have already said you have physical limitations that you are working on is pretty low, but it is comments like that one above that make it hard not to rifle off an irritated reply. Edit and think before you post, and lose the martyr thing. Your arms will feel much better when you climb down off that cross.

Several pages ago I thought you were taking a turn for the logical, thinking about this thread and how ridiculous it had become, and maybe seeing the light. Boy was I wrong.

Let. This. Thread. Die.

Please.

BN

(Kaeleer, you made me snort my Pepsi...)

It is human nature to only accept the information that reconfirms current beliefs rather than allow beliefs to change.
    This can apply to you, too, you know.

I have BTDT with the broken bones, too. At age 43. And that experience is the basis for my assumptions, not what you wrote on another board or what someone else says about you.

I'm with KPF, in that I hope you don't get hurt because you're in way over your head with an an inappropriate horse. I know I was. I didn't get rid of the horse that dumped me, but I did have to learn how to ride better on a kinder, gentler beast to get my nerve (and fitness) back. And it took awhile.

Fast forward a dozen years and I'm riding a horse that is 10 degrees hotter than the one I fell off of. We're doing just fine, thank you, and doing things I never thought I'd be able to do on my own. But I had to make some changes in how I viewed myself and what I needed to do to be a better rider/horse person.

I hope you can make those changes, too. And that you stay safe in the meantime.

PS -- KPF, I care that you're back in the saddle. Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by mp View Post
    This can apply to you, too, you know.
    Totally. It does apply to me.

In the case of my big horse, though, I needed to be convinced that he was going to be OK. And it's still pretty easy for him to shake my confidence, as weak as it is.

If there was any evidence that he was planning to return to his old ways, I'd sell him in a heartbeat. If my trainer even breathed a hint of belief that Smokey was unsafe for me, I'd sell him. I am easing back into it slowly and carefully, under the watchful eye of a very experienced trainer.

And I have my eye on the pony too. I have a much better idea now of why he did what he did, just gotta make sure he doesn't do it again, to anyone.

p.s. My trainer says we're progressing well. He pushes me a little harder each week. No pain, no gain, right?

Ambrey, I haven't even read most of this thread, but I can say without knowing the details there is no way sitting in a chair so much and posting is good for your back.

Just walk away from the computer and get strong and healthy again. Then you can ride more and post new pictures showing what you are trying to tell.

I hate to break it to you, but following people around and snarking at them is pretty nasty no matter what, and is in many ways just plain creepy. You can't justify it by saying how much I deserve it. You can't justify it at all. It's just pure middle school mob mentality with a tad of internet stalker thrown in. The mob has managed to put out enough misconceptions about me and my horses at this point that it's almost impossible for anyone to give good advice through all of the incorrect assumptions.
    Why did you quote my post when you spewed this deluge of venom. I simply pointed out YOUR ungraciousness and once again you respond like a 6 year old kid.

IF and WHEN you grow up I MAY respond but considering the way you are going it is not likely. Go back to the yard and play in the sandbox.

You are simply not worthy of even a passing glance.

[QUOTE=equinelaw;3389383]Ambrey, I haven't even read most of this thread, but I can say without knowing the details there is no way sitting in a chair so much and posting is good for your back.

posting online vs posting on computer, which is worst for your back?
    Ambrey, when I met my friend Katie, she had been "taken" (as a doctor's wife who wanted to get into horses and was very trusting) by a BO who sold her a "paint" who reared ( for her an her small 4 yr old daughter to ride) and by another BO (friend of #1 BO) who sold her an unbroken 2 yr old QH colt to ride. When I mett her, she had had the stud gelded, trained a little, and was already at a barn I moved to with my 2 horses. Katie loved that horse, she wanted to ride him. The owner of the barn would not let her ride him, would not recommend another trainer, and was supposed to be training the horse, said training consisting of her lunging the horse and whipping him till he bolted down the road and sometimes having an alcoholic former horse owner come sit on him in the woods while drinking booze from a coke can. I did not intervene, and the BO "made" Katie give that horse away and buy another horse that she did not want, souring Katie on BO's and on riding.
    I'm not saying that this is the case with you. I am saying that maybe you should have someone else train both your horse and your pony and evaluate their suitability for you and your children. (Had my friend Katie used Luis, a good trainer around here, she would have found out that her horse just needed riding every day by someone who was not afraid of him.) An outside trainer has no vested interest in the horse or in you, and can evaluate your capabilities and suitability for the horse and for the pony without thinking about losing a boarding customer or losing training and instructing fees.

I think you should get a 2nd opinion on both the horse and the pony, from a trainer who is respected in your community.
    And I think you should not let any child who cannot handle her own horse ride your pony. I know you feel sorry for her, but she needs to have an independent trainer also look at her horse.
    Sometimes the trainer doesn't want to tell you what is best for you for fear of losing you as a client.

Quote Originally Posted by tkhawk View Post
    My mare is quite similar. Very very sensitive and light in the mouth. One cluck and she is off to canter If you start yanking at the bit or kicking her-you will be in for quite a surprise . If you are wishy washy she will not listen to you at all. But if you are quiet and firm she is great. Nowadays the only time I get a major spook is usually when I am riding with other folks and am distracted, chatting away. Still haven't figured out how to keep chatting and pay attention to your horse at the same time! When I ride by myself-I listen much better and am tuned in to her .
    But even then my mare has experienced a lot of stuff so even a major spook is really not major when compared to what she used to do a few years ago. She knows better. Unless you see what that kid is doing different from your 10yr old or you, it would be difficult to say what the issue is.
    same here.....my horse is just like that.

Quote Originally Posted by cloudyandcallie View Post
    I'm not saying that this is the case with you. I am saying that maybe you should have someone else train both your horse and your pony and evaluate their suitability for you and your children. (Had my friend Katie used Luis, a good trainer around here, she would have found out that her horse just needed riding every day by someone who was not afraid of him.) An outside trainer has no vested interest in the horse or in you, and can evaluate your capabilities and suitability for the horse and for the pony without thinking about losing a boarding customer or losing training and instructing fees.
    I agree with you completely regarding needing a trusted trainer! I put the pony in a training barn for the first 2 months I had him, just to get that evaluation. Their basic assessment was that he was a little speedy, but absolutely not dangerous.

Now was it an unbiased opinion? I don't know. My trainer has ridden him once and liked him well enough, but he doesn't work with kids much (the training barn the pony was at was the h/j barn where my daughter takes lessons).

I am at a huge facility with many trainers to choose from. I do listen to the positive and the negative of all of the trainers, but honestly I've never heard anyone utter a negative word about my current trainer. He is highly respected for his ability and well-liked for his integrity and kindness.

(BTW, BenNevis, is the pelham really the issue? I was just worried about absolving my trainer of responsibility for my crappy riding. It just isn't his fault, he's only had me for a couple of months and I'm moving ahead very slowly! I am sure he understands that the pelham would be a controversial choice, he's a pretty knowledgable fellow. I knew it would be from last time I asked about it ).

And you know what's worse than sitting in front of a computer for the back? Clipping your draftx's feathers when he insists you pick his foot up and hold it. Wonder why my back isn't healing . And I'm stuck in front of the computer trying to get caught up with an HTML/CSS class, so no help there either.

BTW, I just wanted to comment about your worry that desensitising him to legs swinging or squeezing would make him dead-sided. The vaulting horses we use are fine with us moving all over the place, and even being on their croup or neck, but they're still very responsive under saddle. I think that getting him used to the legs gradually is a good idea, just in case you or your daughter ever lose your balance and accidentally get your leg in the wrong place, or if you decide to sell him after she outgrows him. It's great seeing him again - I remember your posts when you bought him.
    Stay me with coffee, comfort me with chocolate, for I am sick of love.

THanks, Whisper I think the vote on his needing to be less sensitive to the leg is pretty unanimous (at least, my trainer and every reference I've pulled up agrees with you!).

And we do love him, he is just such a great boy... uh, usually He is definitely quirky, though. Finding the balance between his sensitivity (which is sometimes so wonderful) and his OVERsensitivity would definitely benefit him in the long run!

Goes to show that my parents were right: Always tell the truth! I had a judge in Atlanta who had a "voice stress analyzer" under his bench for a year before discovery, and he caught all lawyers lying except his ADA (me).
    Which stood me in good stead when he later when up to the GA "Supremes" and told the other judges how honest I was.
    So my only advice is, always tell the truth
    This is a rather interesting and contradictory quote C&C, considering the advice you gave in the stolen tack thread was to shoot someone, and then lie, lie, lie to the police and later to the judge about how the intruder came to be dead.

Just an observation......
    The plural of anecdote is not data.

Default the truth and nothing but....

[QUOTE=arabhorse2;3391379]This is a rather interesting and contradictory quote C&C, considering the advice you gave in the stolen tack thread was to shoot someone, and then lie, lie, lie to the police and later to the judge about how the intruder came to be dead.

Advising people not to incriminate themselves is not telling them to lie.
    And advising people about how others have gotten off in situations is not telling them to lie.
    And "free speech" includes all these rights and more.
    Atlanta cops used to sit around for years on stakeouts, talking about how to commit the perfect murder. Only one tried it (retired, became sheriff in adjoining county, got defeated, got 3 guys to go kill his successor, all 3 killers got off in trials, sheriff let his get moved on venue and got convicted, not the perfect murder.)
    I have never told anyone to lie to the cops or to a judge or jury. Wouldn't be right. It would be like someone deliberately misinterpreting my posts and then saying I said that. I suggest you reread my posts.
    Meanwhile, when protecting horses or stating your horse problems, it is always best to tell everything so that people who respond to your post can do so with as much of the facts as you can provide them.
    And yes, I still advocate not turning on your cell phone when you are shooting someone.
    Feel free to reread all those posts though.

Now you DO sound like the lawyer you keep claiming to be ad nauseum.

I've read your posts. Nowhere did you say, "Well, you COULD do this, but I wouldn't advise it." So in that context, yes, you're saying that this is something that's acceptable as long as you don't get caught.

You're also being hypocritical if you tell people how they can try to get away with murder, but then claim that YOU'RE too saintly and truthful to ever try anything like that, and you weren't really advising them to do it.

Your posts tend to be rambling, and you do appear to have a certain bloodlust for some reason. So if I misconstrued anything you said, it's because you lack certain communication skills. I'm not surprised, since most lawyers don't do their own writing or research; they leave that up to their law clerks.

You also appear to have the right ego for a lawyer, since it seems apparent by your response to me, that everyone else is stupid if they don't read your mind and what you MEANT, as opposed to what you said.

So tell me, why are you a retired prosecutor and not still active? You seem to want to throw that out there at every opportunity for some reason, as if the rest of us might forget it if you don't remind us every other thread.

If you really are or were a lawyer, and didn't just sit around in a dark room overdosing on CSI and Law and Order, you need to tone down the appearance that you're a whacknut. No sane lawmaker would give advice to a layperson about how to kill someone else. Nor seem to take joy in the idea of inflicting pain and suffering on another human being.

I happen to be extremely close friends with a police detective and several other officers, and have been for the last 15 years. Yes, cops do sit around and talk about such things, but they don't go on an international BB and tell people about how to make them happen, nor do the majority of them actually try those things.

I'm an accountant. I've discussed embezzlement with other accountants, and we've run scenarios by each other concerning how to steal money. It's our job to think about it, because we're supposed to be trying to stop it. Yes, we make macabre jokes about it and how to get away with the perfect heist, but I've never once come on here and told people HOW to do it, even with a caveat not to attempt it. You just don't DO something like that if you're a responsible, reasonably sane adult who can understand consequences.

Your spelling is atrocious, as are your punctuation and grammar. Your arguments don't appear to be well thought out, and you seem to lack the ability to get across what you mean, as opposed to what you're saying. I can only hope that your courtroom oral skills were better than your written ones. Or did those contribute to why you're no longer a practicing ADA?
    Last edited by arabhorse2; Jul. 28, 2008 at 09:52 AM.
    The plural of anecdote is not data.

I have never told anyone to lie to the cops or to a judge or jury. Wouldn't be right. It would be like someone deliberately misinterpreting my posts and then saying I said that. I suggest you reread my posts.
    What part about shooting someone until they're dead and planting a gun or knife on them and saying you were afraid they were going to kill you when they were only going to take your saddle is the truth?

Btw, the rule is, that if you shoot someone, you make sure he's dead. Otherwise there are 2 versions of what happened. Make sure the only version is yours.

And make sure you have a "throw down" knife or gun.

Finding the balance between his sensitivity (which is sometimes so wonderful) and his OVERsensitivity would definitely benefit him in the long run!
    Exactly! Especially since your daughter wants to jump with him - while she's still learning, she's likely to occasionally pinch, squeeze, or have her legs slide back a little, so it's important that he tolerate it.

I'd suggest having the trainer, or a really good rider, get on him and deliberately be a little sloppy with their legs, starting at the halt, then walk, etc. They can control how much they're doing, and if he does scoot off, will be able to get him back listening to them again quickly.

Moving away from vaulting, I've part-leased 3 TBs who *NOBODY* could accuse of being deadsided or insensitive, and all of them would go around on a loose rein (with both held in one hand) while I worked on the seat exercises I got from Lynne S at walk and trot, and to some degree the canter as well. One of them was one of the top YR horses in the country and scored over 70% at 4th level a little over 3 years ago.

I'm currently riding a little QH gelding who happily packs complete beginners around, and I can knot the reins up on his neck (if we're alone in the arena) and do the exercises on a circle, or going large around the arena, and switch between sitting, posting (trot only), half-seat, and 2-point at W/T/C and he won't miss a beat. He'll usually steer just off of my looking where I want him to go, and if needed, I can reinforce with a little leg, or touching him on the side of his neck with my finger. Upward transitions - just think hard and they're right there. He can't do more than a little bit of lengthening, but he is nicely forward and has plenty of energy.

I love horses like the four I mentioned above, because they seem to have a great signal/noise filter. If I want them to do something, they're very sensitive and responsive, but they're patient and forgiving when I'm working on my seat.
    Stay me with coffee, comfort me with chocolate, for I am sick of love.

Dang, I'm going to have to start reading the no paragraph, no punctuation , phonics-based no spell-check posts. Evidently, I've missed some dandies. arabhorse2, I think I love you.