The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default dogs at the barn

O.k I have always had a pet peeve regarding dogs at barns. I own a dog and I own horses. They live together very peacefully as they have all learnt their lessons from each other. My dog has been disciplined seriously from my horses and now completely respects them. I also board a horse off my farm. This is where I seem to encounter all the dog owners who drag their dogs to the barn. I am not just angry about the nuisance the dogs are, I am more ticked about the risk of injury to the dogs. Case in point: Yesterday I was at the barn. There was an instructor who brought her little jack russell pup (of course all REAL trainers have jack russells). The pup is off leash and close by as she teaches her lessons. I was not watching the pup as I was busy with my own chores and all of a sudden I hear her calling her puppy. To my horror, when I look up, the puppy (all 2lbs. of her) is in a paddock with a mare. The trainer is calling the puppy and the puppy is trying to go to her but the mare just bulldozes this pup into the ground. The screams from this pup made me sick. I did not go over to see if the pup was o.k. as there was already an audience but I would be surprised if her back was not broke or at least a leg. I was so pissed off. Dog owners leave your dogs at home or at least keep them on a leash.

The drama created by the mix of dogs, horses and kids/adults with fears and allergies was ultimately more than the barn could handle. All dogs, including the BO's, are now kept out of the barn.

That's AWFUL. I have JRTs in my heart and in my blood (I own two...I would own ten if DH would allow it). I ADORE my dogs, but they almost never go out to the barn with me; when they do, they are on a leash. They have a nice big backyard to romp around in, and get to laze around in the air conditioning while I'm slaving away in the barn.

My horses and my dogs are too important to me to jeopardize ANY of them in some stupid accident. Several years ago, one of my JRTs escaped from the backyard, and got nailed by one of my horses. Fortunately, it wasn't terribly serious but it was bad enough. Now, I do everything within my power to ensure that something like that will NOT happen again...to my or anyone else's dogs or horses.

I truly understand just how much people love their dogs—I'm a dog lover. So at my barn I have a conditional "dogs allowed" rule for EVERYONE (including me). The rule is made very clear to everyone whom it affects: Dogs ARE allowed if they are leashed, confined, or under the owner's direct control AT ALL TIMES. If the owner is riding, teaching, or otherwise occupied, the dog MUST be leashed or confined. NO EXCEPTIONS. Dogs are NOT allowed in the rings or the pastures at any time. Just one infraction results in the dog no longer being allowed to visit. Period.

Non-dog people don't have to worry about horses and dogs getting tangled up, and dog/horse owners appreciate that they can bring their dog(s) if they want. They understand that the rules are for the dogs' and the horses' safety. They also understand the "one strike and you're out" rule, why it exists, and that it will be strictly enforced. Makes dog owners MUCH more careful and conscientious, and it has worked quite well for us. No dogs have been banned yet!

Most dog problems are lack of training. Had the instruvtir been responsible for the pup it would not have been hurt. My new rottie is away for a month being trained, then I get trained. He will not need to be leashed after that although because of the public perceptuon of his breed and size he will wear one in public.

Dogs and horses go together as farm as a farm goes. The greatest dog owners are horse people but............we do have a responsibility to our dogs and horses if they comingle or if we take them to others barns. I love dogs coming to my farm, but. they better be leashed, well behaved and social. Dog lovers and horse lovers just sit well with me.

but, everyone has the right to peaceful horse ownership and barn time. And nuisance dogs with bad owners make it unenjoyable. I am with you on responsibility but I dont necessarily believe all dogs should be left at home. My border collie would rather die than not go to work but my bully would rather lay in the air. And there barn behavior is completely different as well.
    Our horses are not seen as the old and disabled they may have become, but rather as the mighty steeds they once believed themselves to be.

Sunkissed Acres Rescue and Retirement

Quote Originally Posted by TwoArabs View Post
    Most dog problems are lack of training. Had the instruvtir been responsible for the pup it would not have been hurt. My new rottie is away for a month being trained, then I get trained. He will not need to be leashed after that although because of the public perceptuon of his breed and size he will wear one in public.
    I've got a Rott, also, that I rescued. He now, after I've had him for 4 years, is allowed to roam the farm free (since we live there). He knows to stay out of the ring and out of the pastures and gets disciplined if he is too near the horses. He is very friendly and loves everyone. He also wears a leash and collar whenever we go everywhere, but so I don't have to worry about him escaping at a show or something he almost always stays on the farm. He is really good at horse shows though. I love seeing other Rott barn dogs!

That being said I would never EVER let him off the leash anywhere besides our farm. Especially not other people's farms. I get seriously aggravated when people bring dogs to our farm. We have 3 and to have other people bringing unleashed dogs to the barn just adds a whole new PITA dynamic between our dogs and the horses that we don't need. I think it is inappropriate to bring your dog to strange farms and let them roam free.
    "Real magic can never be made by offering someone else's liver. You must tear out your own, and not expect to get it back. The true witches know that." ~ Peter S. Beagle

Quote Originally Posted by TwoArabs View Post
    My new rottie is away for a month being trained, then I get trained. He will not need to be leashed after that
    Heh. Good luck with that.

Maybe it's because I own Great Pyrenees. But one month of training may not be quite a done deal.

I am a dog lover as well as a horse lover but I feel that the two do not always mix well. Too many times that I can count, I am watching my daughter ride at the barn and someone's dog is on my lap. Many times I do not even know who's dog I'm holding so I know they are not being supervised. I felt absolutely sick about that puppy getting hurt and I sure hope that owner realizes that that pup was injured due to her neglect.

I was at a show about a month ago and someone's dog ventured into the warm up ring. Again, the risk was more to the dog than the riders. Fortunately, the dog was herded out before he was injured.

I guess I'm just of a different mind set when it comes to dogs. Mine stay at home and only leave to visit the vet.

My Boxer thinks that horses are big dogs so she tries to play with them like dogs she is not allowed around horses anymore (my requirement!) It was kind of funny but certainly not safe or good! I think at private farms what people do with their dogs is their choice but at boarding farms better all the dogs stay home!

Naturally I have a Border Collie...... her instinct to herd.... very... needless to say. Very Strong.

She knows her off commands... her "hold" and "Leave It" When her assistance is not needed.
    But I do like my dog around..... not horses walking out of stalls when back turned. And I always have her to go to, when ponies feel like a romp.... when they aren't supposed to.
    But there is respect for other peoples barns.
    She is on a leash, when at another barn. Unless it is a friends, and then she minds her manners.
    Of course.... all kids ( and dogs) don't mind their mothers.
    She is tied or waits patiently in the truck when she doesn't mind.
    I think alot of the problem is , lack of training , on the dog and the owners part.
    If your dog does not behave itself in public, do not bring it there!
    *I am pulling my Bullet Proof Bubble up now*
    Zook Suit Riot- Mustang/Paint Gelding
    Proud member of the KELTON'S Crew
    CousinVinsky-Skinny Vinny JockeyClub/Alydar Grandson.Gelding Chestnut.
    CUnex2zdai- 2008 Buttermilk Buckskin Colt -ABHA/IBHA

No need to put on a bullet proof suit Zook...sounds like your dog is well behaved and trained and like you're a conscientious owner.

I've never been fully comfortable with dogs around a barn/horses. Even well behaved ones with really good owners. But that's probably because I've had a few horses over my lifetime that *really* hated dogs...which makes me tend to worry much more for the dogs than I do the horses-opposite of what many folks do who worry about the dogs harassing their horses.
    I love dogs, I love horses. But having owned some horses that will do anything to attack a dog I do keep the two species separate at all times. When I was younger my first horse killed a dog and I felt so absolutely awful about it. At a show, after a warm up and I had left the warm up ring. Still mounted I was chatting with a friend who was also mounted. A person walked by with their dog...a very well behaved quiet dog on a leash. In a split second my mare swung her hind end around and fired a kick, she hit the dog in the head and killed it instantly.
    Since then I've been hyper-vigilant about keeping my dogs completely away from horses. I've since had another mare and one gelding who would chase dogs...the mare actually grabbed a dog over the fence, it wasn't even in the paddock and wasn't bothering them. The gelding trampled a neighbors dog that took a short cut across the corner of the paddock..thankfully the only injury was a broken leg.
    I have a GSD right now...without question the *best* behaved and most easily trained dog I have ever owned. He's a sweetheart...he's been trained that he cannot go within 300 feet of my barn without my say-so. And even then he's not allowed outside without me out there with him...and there's a shock wire across the driveway down to my barn. My current horse hasn't shown any aggression towards dogs, but even a kick at a fly or a happy fly-by bucking kick during play could kill my dog.
    I just hope all dog owners also think of their dogs' safety as well as their dogs' training when bringing dogs in contact with horses. Even a non-aggressive horse an easily kill a dog by accident.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

simple your barn onwer and have a right to have a dog on premises ok

so simple answer is to do what i do dont care who they are- NO DOG RULE

THEY BE KNOWN TO PI UP HAY AND ITS A WASTAGE SO DONT HAVE THEM

Why so many dog owners so ignorant about keeping their dog's safe, not to mention training them? My neighbors JRTs are always running around my horse paddocks. I'm so afraid they are going to get kicked (my one gelding is rather territorial and cranky). One time they started fighting with each other literally underneath my horse in my ring with my niece on him (who is pretty much a beginniner--luckily my horse just stood there). And the area where I ride has a leash policy, but of course you NEVER see a dog on a leash. And when they take off running towards my horse, the owner will start calling them frantically, and they NEVER respond. Not one time have I ever seen a dog listen to its owner. It's not like they aren't going to run into horses out there; a lot of people ride on this ground. It's very frustrating.

I'm there to ride and see my horse. I leave my dog at home.

I've seen more miserable dogs locked in stalls when they got rambunctious and didn't listen or worse off, in the car.

Leave the dog at home.. simple.

I don't mind people bringing dogs to the barn if they're well trained, mellow, supervised, and horse-savvy. All but one of the barns I've ever ridden at allowed dogs and we never had any problems at all.

I think the "1 strike rule" is great. But I also understand BOs who don't want to deal with policing their boarders and simply ban dogs all together. Better no dogs at all than 1 dog that causes a tragedy.

I know my current dog will NEVER be invited to the barn, with the possible exception of a very brief visit while on leash and in my arms. He's small, fragile, and somewhat neurotic, and the barn would just not be an appropriate place for him. That said, if other dogs do well in such a situation (and don't interfere AT ALL with me or my horse), I'm quite happy to have them around.

Gad another dogs at the barn thread, once more I will tell my story for those of you who bring your wonderful dogs to the barn.

Here it is again. Finished my lesson, cooling off my horse and chatting with trainer. Girl comes to barn, ignores NO OUTSIDE DOGS ALLOWED SIGN. Opens car door, little JRT runs directly up behind my horse, latches onto horses hock, horse head comes up, breaks my nose, horse proceeds to buck, brookes going flying. Brookes, breaks back, dislocates shoulder, soft tissue injury to neck, broken nose, concussion (yes with helmet).

It was a riding career ending injury. My back will never be the same. I can no longer ride without extreme back pain. I have tried everything. My doctors say do . . not . . ride. Period. The damage to my back is so bad that one fall could paralyze me.

SO LEAVE YOUR FREAKING DOGS AT HOME WILL YA! All it takes is one little oops and then someone like me is paying for it for the rest of their lives.

thank you.
    Lions and Tigers and Bears, oh my!!

Default Someone mentioned Boxers.....

So I had to share, I don't board, live on my own, Tir one of my Boxers loves to help put the horses out, here is a series of her brilliant help

http://www.clickandtrim.com/tirandeli.htm

Regards,

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

We've had a few people treat the farm where I board like a dog park. They think that the fields are a great opportunity to let their dogs run free and think it's "cute" when they chase the horses... "Look! Pookie is playing with the horsies!"

I have very little tolerance for it and wish that our no-dog rule would be enforced. But of course these folks are always careful to come after the BO has gone home for the day.

Last night we had a mom show up with her two daughters and the family dog; the dog was apparently brought to entertain daughter #2 while the older kid rode. (They have a horse on trial at the barn.)

The dog was on a leash but was big enough to drag the younger kid around and was really a PITA. The third time I had to retrieve one of my good brushes from the dog's mouth I said something to the mother - whose response was "You might want to put your things away then, instead of leaving them lying around." Um, sorry - your dog snatched them out of my grooming tote in the grooming stall. That's where we *keep* the grooming tools.

I like dogs, believe it or not, but I don't like poorly behaved animals.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

I bring my Rottweiler to the barn every single day, and I would move in a heartbeat if dogs weren't allowed. HOWEVER, my dog is well-trained (you can't have a 105 lb dog that isn't, unless you're an idiot who wants to be sued). He doesn't chase the horses, he doesn't jump on people, he doesn't bark, and he seems to be enjoyed by everyone at the barn. He knows he is not allowed in the arena. In fact, he will stand at the very edge while I ride but will not so much as put a pinky toe in that sand because he understands the consequences. Plenty of people bring their anklebiters or other dogs that run around like crazy, getting underneath horses and being a general nuisance. It would be nice if people could be respectful and not bring their dog to the barn if it is disruptive, or at least make an effort to train it better. I think it should be a case-by-case situation. When he was a puppy, I might let him loose (within eyesight) while I tacked up, but he was always put up in a stall while I rode or was busy if I brought him at all.

Where I boarded in Maryland for 12 years , the farm was owned by a hunt master. Every spring we would get 2 foxhound pups to socialize, teach them their names and teach them how to act around horses. My horses are home now, but my dog is held to the same standard as if it were a boarding barn.

I'm terribky sorry for those who have been injured due to irresponivle oet owners. The owmers should be held responsible for any damage or injury their animal causes.