The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Nikki^ View Post
    Holy cow!!!

Completely OT, but... look at that horse jump!

Where was this picture taken? Has he ever taken a bad picture? If so, I haven't seen it.

Actually, it's not completely OT, because the rider's beautiful release is allowing the horse to jump in perfect form, 2 feet over the jump.

He looks like he's not just jumping the top of the standards, but the top of the bleachers in the background.

Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    Holy cow!!!

Completely OT, but... look at that horse jump!

Where was this picture taken? Has he ever taken a bad picture? If so, I haven't seen it.

Actually, it's not completely OT, because the rider's beautiful release is allowing the horse to jump in perfect form, 2 feet over the jump.

He looks like he's not just jumping the top of the standards, but the top of the bleachers in the background.
    i think it looks more like 3' over the jump!!!! crazy!

Quote Originally Posted by Anyplace Farm View Post
    To me, it makes sense that in order to truly follow, your hands should not be resting on the sides of the horse's neck. I actually recently ran a search on Equisearch for 'automatic release' and referred to my GM Eq book and some current copies of PH Mag for same to clear the mystery up for myself on whether or not pressing your hands at the sides is still considered auto. I seriously like to execute stuff as classically and correctly as possible and before this thread even started, was trying to get to the bottom of it. Anyway, after digging thru all that crap, even GM doesn't say anything about pressing hands into the sides as not having done a correct execution of an AR.

But certainly, when looking at the old pix of them doing it, you do not see any of them pressing their hands into the sides of the neck, rather, they are either lightly there or just barely 'brushing' (or hovering?). Just can't figure out why we don't see GM (because I count on him to give us the gospel) specifying.
    If your hands are pressing into the sides of the neck, it is NOT an auto release. The auto release is a following hand which, as has been stated here before, follows the horse's mouth. If the hands are pressed into any part of the horse, they cannot be following the motion. In a true auto release, the hands are not hovering, they are not floating, they are maintaining a light contact with the horse's mouth, and "going with" the horse. As RugBug wrote, the straight line from the bit to the elbow does not make the auto release, it happens as a result of the auto release.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    Those martingales were so taut, you could play Ode to Joy on them with a comb

Here's a picture of me and Satyn in our jumping days, which I think shows a nice auto release! Hope the link works. I don't normally post pictures!

http://www.posemucklfarm.com/images/jump.bmp
    Hoppe, Hoppe, Reiter...
    Wenn er faellt dann schreit er...

Quote Originally Posted by mbm View Post
    forward is like love - you can never have enough

One of my favorite pictures of an auto release.

I believe this is Jim Kohn. Just a lovely photo!

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/M...78/jimkohn.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Reiter View Post
    Here's a picture of me and Satyn in our jumping days, which I think shows a nice auto release! Hope the link works. I don't normally post pictures!

http://www.posemucklfarm.com/images/jump.bmp
    Just being nitpicky, but that's another 'on the way to an auto', IMO.
    Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
    Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

Quote Originally Posted by Bliss92 View Post
    One of my favorite pictures of an auto release.

I believe this is Jim Kohn. Just a lovely photo!

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/M...78/jimkohn.jpg
    Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
    Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

I live in Chantilly, VA but I ride in Anytown, USA

Quote Originally Posted by RugBug View Post
    Just being nitpicky, but that's another 'on the way to an auto', IMO.
    Damn! Just when I thought I was queen of the nitpickers!

"If you have the time, spend it. If you have a hand, lend it. If you have the money, give it. If you have a heart, share it." by me

Before you start worrying about an auto release, you should make sure your leg is more secure.

Jimmys pix is one of the just about perfect pix of all time.
    I.D.E.A. yoda

Just to clarify: if your hands are lightly touching or grazing the neck while following the motion yet doesn't apply any pressure into the neck, would you still consider it an automatic release? Or should there be absolutely no contact with the neck at all?
    -D-

Quote Originally Posted by jump_it29 View Post
    Just to clarify: if your hands are lightly touching or grazing the neck while following the motion yet doesn't apply any pressure into the neck, would you still consider it an automatic release? Or should there be absolutely no contact with the neck at all?
    I think brushing along the neck is fine, but I'm no expert. To me, attempting to NOT touch the horse's neck at all would make you consciously move your hands outward and thus not really FOLLOW the horse's mouth. However, I don't do Auto-Releases (yet) because I don't feel that my position is solid enough to not interfere with my horse's mouth. Hopefully I'll get there one day!

I'm trying to remember how I learned the auto release. Of course in those days, it was simply learning to jump, because George Morris had not yet mucked things up by legitimizing the crest release.

Gabor Francia-Kiss taught me to jump (in case my credentials are in question ).

Step 1: Being able to ride competently at the walk, trot, and canter. This included many many laps in jumping position (no hands on the neck) and many laps of posting trot without stirrups. This step seems to have gone bye-bye. Once I could do this, we went on to

Step 2: A few strides before the fence, I was to take my "forward seat" with my hands pressed into the sides of my horse's' neck, and a big old loop in the reins. I was to allow my hands AND ARMS to move as my horse's neck moved, without losing my position. When I could do that without major disaster we went on to

Step 2: Forward seat before the jump, loop in the reins, but no support from the horse's neck.

Step 3: Forward seat before the jump, keeping a light contact with the horses' mouth before, over, and after the fence.

Step 4: Approach the jump in a half seat, following the horse's movement with the hands before, during, and after the jump.

None of these steps can be done with long stirrups, pitched forward onto the horse's neck.

Here is a photo I've posted before. It was taken in 1965 over an outside course. I was riding a little Morgan cross school horse. The picture was restored a bit and my hands look a little strange, like I'm holding the reins upside-down, but I can assure you I'm holding the reins correctly.
    http://pets.webshots.com/photo/11766...58647790ZCnlzy
    Last edited by SillyHorse; Jul. 22, 2008 at 08:02 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    Those martingales were so taut, you could play Ode to Joy on them with a comb

Quote Originally Posted by jump_it29 View Post
    Sure it is.

There is nobody with a ruler to measure and, as long as there is no actual weight on your hands for support and your lower body is truely supporting you independently of your hand, it's a following hand/auto release.

You sure don't want any distance away from the horse's body for any of your own body parts, that weakens your overall postition. Hands should be within an inch or so of the horse's neck.

And take it easy on George. He has said too many have mutated what he taught with the crest release into something it was never meant to be. He was simply protecting the horse from a too weak position in a rider...and he did not invent it anyway, just popularized the name. And he never, ever advocated the incorrect praying mantis pose as any kind of release at all...or the puppy dog floating hand or the neck draping, elbow flappers.

Don't even think he created the monster here. Those who don't teach it as he presented it are not teaching what he meant anyway.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

OK, who can post a picture for me? I refuse to pay for premium service and I jusdt updated my website so have no intentions of going back in and giving the pic a place on my page to link to it.

But I would LOVE to share a pic of Joe Fargis on Medrano (that I'm sure many of you have never seen) that will just make you weep.

"If you have the time, spend it. If you have a hand, lend it. If you have the money, give it. If you have a heart, share it." by me

Send it to me, Anyplace.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

OK, just sent! Hope everyone likes it. It's perfection at an absurd level!

Quote Originally Posted by kitsunegari View Post
    Here's my crest release..

http://photos-c.ak.facebook.com/phot...71762_3159.jpg

I'm not looking for a critique. The horse got a wonky distance to the fence and one of my legs slipped back etc. Btw, the horse only has one eye and it's the socket side showing in the picture.

That pony, what was his show name? I know a pony almost identical to him, same eye missing.

Thanks!

Default Anyplace Farm's photo

here. had to shrink.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fargis.jpg 
Views:	249 
Size:	23.0 KB 
ID:	21831  
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

And might I note that the horse is jumping in a D-ring.