The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Curious: thoughts on instituting ride times

I've read a number of posts that complain about long waits to finish a class because riders aren't ready, certain trainers consistently holding things up, etc. Would you be in favor of assigned ride times like they do for dressage? This has probably been discussed, but I'm missing why this isn't done in h/j. I did the big shows years ago and it was so frustrating to give people a time to come watch me ride - could be off by quite a few hours at the big A shows....

Hear, hear! I'm an event rider but I used to compete in showjumping, wish I still could.... but I rarely do because it is simply ridiculous to wait for HOURS wondering when one's class might start.

Jennifer

call me crazy, but I like the format of hunter shows. It can be a pain, but I kind of like the craziness of it all. I have been to a few dressage shows and stuff, and to be honest, I really don't think I would like hunter shows to be run that way. I like sitting around and just being at shows, if I had a time, I think it would take away from the whole "show" day for me. Plus with the amount of adding/scratching that there is, it would be very hard to switch over to times.

Would work for me. Agreed that wait times have become ridiculous. Like waiting for the hack. It wouldn't even have to be an exact time if people get all nervous about getting pinned down by the minute - perhaps trainers could schedule their groups in the beginning of the day for a time "slot" which is maybe 1/2 hour or an hour or so. The parents and grandparents don't like waiting around, the riders don't like waiting around (in 100 degrees in the summer), the horses sure don't.

Talking

oh how I have often thought about why the hunters don't do this? although I am not "new" to showing, and I dont' go to a show every week, I sure do get tired of arriving early, working with my WONDERFUL trainer (Kim G) to make sure my horse is ready to go.....only to have to stand around forever, waiting for something or someone. But the best fun is being rushed through the warm up and out of the schooling ring first thing in the morning....only to have to wait and wait for the show to actually start in that ring. I can't think of a better way to spend a Saturday after working all week in the office.

Although I still look forward to showing, love the folks I show with, and love my trainer....I'm getting to the point where I just don't feel like showing at all anymore. It simply isn't that much fun here in NJ. When I used to ride in upstate NY years ago, we had a lot of fun at our 'local shows'. not so much here

I think if they enforced order of go, and stopped holding the gate it would be a good compromise! There's nothing more frustrating watching an empty ring... there should be a grace period, and after that the missing rider goes to the bottom of the list.
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

I LOVE enforced orders of go, and yes it can be done! Spruce Meadows does it for ALL of their shows & rings and it doesn't matter who you are or how many horses you are riding. If you haven't let the show office know the night before that you need to be in the order of go early for one class & late for another & given them the reasons, too bad for you! I freaking love it! Classes start and end on time, and all last week the latest I was done was 11:30am! freaking LOVED it!
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

This is why I love C/T's and dressage now. I can actually tell people that would like to see me ride what time I'll ride and i ACTUALLY ride at that time. It's also great for my horse. It just seems crazy to me to saddle my horse up 2 hourse in advance because I was suppose to ride in 30 min. and then make him stand in the heat saddle to wait for our class.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

sounds great to me!

Quote Originally Posted by Ibex View Post
    I think if they enforced order of go, and stopped holding the gate it would be a good compromise! There's nothing more frustrating watching an empty ring... there should be a grace period, and after that the missing rider goes to the bottom of the list.
    Exactly.
    "We need a pinned ears icon." -MysticOakRanch

Do the dressage shows allow post entries? We almost always pre-enter, but when we show up the number of entrants balloons....how does that work in dressage world?

Quote Originally Posted by FroggyPaws View Post
    I've read a number of posts that complain about long waits to finish a class because riders aren't ready, certain trainers consistently holding things up, etc. Would you be in favor of assigned ride times like they do for dressage? This has probably been discussed, but I'm missing why this isn't done in h/j. I did the big shows years ago and it was so frustrating to give people a time to come watch me ride - could be off by quite a few hours at the big A shows....
    I can't offer any ideas of how to logistically do this, but I would be ALL FOR IT!!! I would totally dig assigned ride times. Showing would be so much more relaxed. And think...trainers could plan ahead and give their students different times, so rings don't go empty for long periods of time!!
    Quote Originally Posted by barka.lounger View Post
    u get big old crop and bust that nags ass the next time it even slow down.

we see u in gp ring in no time.

I'm with Fleur. Part of the joy for me is hanging out at the horse shows and having it be not so structured as my everyday work life....besides if you stay on top of it is pretty easy to determine when you will go.

Quote Originally Posted by Blinky View Post
    I'm with Fleur. Part of the joy for me is hanging out at the horse shows and having it be not so structured as my everyday work life....besides if you stay on top of it is pretty easy to determine when you will go.
    I hear that - but...my last show I was stabled waaaaaay away from the rings. I did not have a bike/golf cart, so I had to hoof it on foot to get to places. The loudspeakers were very faint where I was. I had to keep making trips to the booth to see when my class was run (since people kept adding/scratching which changed the time) so that I didn't get ready too early or late. I'd have loved assigned times!
    Quote Originally Posted by barka.lounger View Post
    u get big old crop and bust that nags ass the next time it even slow down.

we see u in gp ring in no time.

No post entries in dressage! Ride times would be nice but there are so many adds and scratches in hunters how would one manage that?
    We show sport horse in hand at some shows there are assigned times so you show up for your time only to find that it has been set back because this person or that person had to fit in since they had a conflict elsewhere. Shows want as much income for their shows so they encourage post entries and will hold classes so everyone can get in.

If a trainer has 5 riders in different rings at the same time, it would be impossible. Most of the of H/J shows that I go to give a class time, and then everyone has to sign in for the time slot, so trainers who get there at 7am can arrange their schedules. For example, the Large Jr hunters will go from 8am to 10:30 (time is based on how many entries there are). Then there are slots for every 2 1/2 minutes to put your name down. There can't be any post entries that day in order to do it like this.

Thumbs up

The Oaks and Showpark shows have a time schedule every day for every ring (posted orders for jumpers). You have so much time for each class and if you are not there at cut off time you miss going. Sign up sheets are up by 7:00-7:30 and trainers sign up their horses. You can look at the daily time schedule and know exactly when the show will be over. Judges know when they will have time to do whatever, in between classes. The ONLY drawback and it's not that big of a drawback, is if the ring is ahead of the schedule, you have to wait for the start time. No post entries on the day of. All entries have to be in by 5:00 P.M. the day before. Larry Langer has started doing this at his shows also. Huge improvement!!

To keep the show loosness(word??) of the shows I think there should be a time frame, like this class will run from 11:00-12:30 and you need to be in the ring during that time and if you don`t make it then no trip for you! And just set them in the morning once everyone has entered. That way there would be a time set but it would be still be relatively lose.

Quote Originally Posted by fleur de duc View Post
    call me crazy, but I like the format of hunter shows. It can be a pain, but I kind of like the craziness of it all. I have been to a few dressage shows and stuff, and to be honest, I really don't think I would like hunter shows to be run that way. I like sitting around and just being at shows, if I had a time, I think it would take away from the whole "show" day for me. Plus with the amount of adding/scratching that there is, it would be very hard to switch over to times.
    Ditto.

the only time it bugs me is when someone isnt ready and we have to wait for them to tack up and get to the ring--but i try to look at it as, it could happen to me sometime!
    *We tolerate behaviors in human beings that would horrify us if we saw them in a horse.*
    R.I.P El Salvador*
    [COLOR="SlateGray"]

City of delusion in the state of total denial

I don't know about ride times, but I am a firm believer in having a posted order from the beginning of the day. New entries go at the bottom of the order. You miss your time, you go to the bottom. You hold it up at the bottom, guess you didn't really want to go in, did you?
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG