The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Overpeck Riding Center (Bergen Cty, NJ)... did anyone else ride there?

This is kind of a spinoff from the Watchung thread... they're having quite the reunion of former riders and barn kids over there

Did any COTHers ride at Overpeck in Leonia, NJ at any point? I think it's called Bergen Equestrian Center now. I was there from about 1992 to 1997 or 1998... I still own one of their former school horses, know there whereabouts of few more, and am constantly looking for others (many of were moved or sold when the management changed... I would happily pick up and retire any I could find at this point! They'd all be quite old by now)

I know June (I forgot your COTH name) rode there at one point... anyone else??

I rode at Overpeck during the mid 70's...I know I am showing my age...Actually I showed there and didn't take lessons there until around 2000...They had the coldest indoor ring I was ever in!
    Are you still in the area?
    Mai Tai aka Tyler RIP March 1994-December 2011
    Grief is the price we pay for love- Gretchen Jackson
    "And here she comes. Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's ZENYATTA!"

Quote Originally Posted by ivy62 View Post
    I rode at Overpeck during the mid 70's...I know I am showing my age...Actually I showed there and didn't take lessons there until around 2000...They had the coldest indoor ring I was ever in!
    Are you still in the area?
    OMG I was thinking the same thing!!! I showed there in the early Eighties!!
    I was sure to remember my MOON BOOTS!!!!!

I showed there in the mid to late 80's when Steve and Linda were running the place.

Default Hay

Hi Lauren!

How is Woody?

I remember that place and didn't know they had changed it to the Bergen Equestrian Center.

Does anyone remember Chip, Chiah, Chattah, Charod, Chico? Oh what was her name? She came up to the Hudson Valley to teach for a bit. She did have a life-threatening accident and is wheel chair bound now. Very sad but apparently she is doing alot of traveling to Europe and places...at least that is what I heard a few years ago.

I rode with Brian and thought he was very good and patient.

pines4equines- are you talikng about Cheech? If so iIam at the barn she used to own and she now lives up in the New Paltz area and still teaches.....We see her every weekend she coems to our barn to give lessons.....

Wasn't Overpeck owned by Paul Novograd in the nineties? I went there once - because after starting to ride again at Claremont (!!) the instructor moved to Overpeck, and I decided to give it a try. The transportation slog was a bit too much for me, and the horse I was given to ride was a huge chestnut gelding whose forward gear I could not find - I don't remember his name - but the outdoor arena was heaven after weaving through the steel columns of Claremont!

Yes, Paul Novagrad leased Overpeck from the county for most of the 1990's, and he also ran Claremont for many many years. I believe it was the Shahanian family (not sure I spelled that correctly) at Overpeck before that, but that was before my time. Rusty Holzer had the lease after Paul, but now the barn is being run by the county as far as I know.

I miss having the National Horse Show local day there, and the "trails" which were not really much, but led out to big recreational areas the county owned... ball fields and stuff. Once in a while the barn rats/working students/etc. would take the lessons horses out on trail rides, which usually lead to random canters through open fields we probably weren't supposed to be in, but it sure was fun

I'm sort of still in the area... Sussex County, NJ currently. Woody is doing well... he's 27 now, and he just kind of hangs around the house mowing the grass. I have another horse too... anyone up for a Sussex, NJ/Orange County, NY trail ride one day?

Lauren! I live in Monroe NY and my horse is in Goshen. Wish I could do a trail ride but my horse is not well and on his way to being retires..I am thinking of retiring him to a farm that a friend of has in Wantage NJ are you any where near that?

Yep, I am! I'm sending you a PT

I just saw this - I took a few lessons there from Karen Barber (Cheech) back in maybe 1990 . She was excellent! The only school horse I remember the name of was Shy Anne - or something like that. I'm not sure I even rode her - but I remembered the name. Cheech had previously taught in Brooklyn and a friend of mine recommended her. Shortly afterwards I ended up with my own horse and could no longer afford lessons! Small world.
    She wasn't running away with me, I just couldn't stop her!

I taught at Overpeck and Claremont in 1987 and 88. Fun times driving back and forth in traffic across the bridge!
    Enough with the drama!

Amanda G Guest

Default Overpeck in the 80s, 90s and today!

I started riding at Overpeck in 1987 or so with Brian Young (does anyone have any idea where he is now), my first lesson was on Ziggy, followed by many lessons on: Honey Bun, Future, Carefree, Ceasefire, Tartan, Sunday, Headline, Cheyene, Faux Pas, etc.

When Brian left in the early 90s I went to Changebridge Farms in Montville, NJ with him, eventually quit riding in High School temporarily and began again in college.

I own my own horse now in PA and still take lessons at Overpeck (now Bergen Equestrian Center, although I won't call it that!!). It's much different now than it was in the heyday but it's still a great place to ride in the middle of such an urban area!

Quote Originally Posted by Amanda G View Post
    I started riding at Overpeck in 1987 or so with Brian Young (does anyone have any idea where he is now), my first lesson was on Ziggy, followed by many lessons on: Honey Bun, Future, Carefree, Ceasefire, Tartan, Sunday, Headline, Cheyene, Faux Pas, etc.
    I remember Brian's name, but I don't really remember him (if that makes sense ) or know where he is now. But, I rememeber almost all of those horses!! If you rode Headline, you probably rode my horse, Woody, as well! They came to Overpeck in the same load of horses. Woody is with me (has been for many years), Headline retired to a large farm near here, and a few others you may remember such as Hershey, Cassidy, and Morgan all have nice private homes and are enjoying life. I'm not sure what happened to the rest, I wish I did! I haven't been back to Overpeck in years, I drive past all the time but never stop... I'd love to see it sometime though!

I taught briefly at Overpeck in the early 90s. When Heidi Erickson was there. Cheech also was teaching there then. That's awful news that she had an accident but good news to hear she's still teaching.
    Mare Lenaghen Pack

Amanda G Guest

I remember Woody but I don't know if I ever rode him. I do remember Hershey, he dumped me in the lighted ring in a nighttime group lesson. I remember Morgan too! Another all star I forgot about is Redwood, I loved him, and Sydney, he was crazy. I don't know what happened to most of them. I think I used to know but I've since forgotten.

You should stop in and see it, you'd be shocked at the transformation over the years. They just finished re-doing the lighted ring - now it finally is supposed to drain properly. The dressage ring has a fence around it and now there are at least two more riding rings that were not there. The indoor has kickboards enclosing it now, but is the same.

It's always been a decent place to ride, although I don't know if I'd keep a horse there. Where are you now?

Woody and I live in Sussex (as does my other horse). Morgan is retired, but he lives nearby, one of Lester Murphy's students bought him years ago. Hershey was purchased by a young lady. Redwood went to Skidmore College's riding program in the mid 90's. Sydney and Dallas went to a lovely woman in south Jersey and lived out the rest of their lives happily.

I have so many mixed emotions from that place, but maybe I'll visit sometime. When do you ride? I'd rather not go alone :LOL:

Amanda G Guest

That's nice to hear about all the horses...they were such good souls.

I hvae to say I don't ride with any particular schedule there because I keep my horse in PA and mostly go ride him out there on weekends, although Sunday afternoons is a good time to go.

You do know Penny teaches there again, right?

What is Penny's last name???? I think I remember her!

VALERIE B Guest

Default Bandit

I rode at Overpeck in the early to mid-80's, then again in the 90's and 2005. My favorite horse was Bandit from the 80's.