The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default An e-mail from Bonnie Mosser's groom in England (now with an update from Bonnie!)...

Hi Everybody... Coren Morgan, Bonnie's groom in England, sent this e-mail out a little earlier and I thought I would share with the world. Thanks Coren! It sounds like all the horses and people arrived safely and everyone will get to work tomorrow... Anyway, unless Coren yells at me, I'll keep posting these updates. I know I wish I was there so we can all live vicariously through her...

Hello all-
    Well here is the first update from this already exciting trip. The horses and all riders are now here safely. I figure the best way to share all of this is to start from the beginning.

So.... quarantine.. Oh quarantine. It was ... um BORING. We arrived from NC to a nice farm in ATL. Got the horses off the van, set up stalls, hand walked and then sat. And when I say we sat, I am talking like from 2 pm till 3 am. We did get to get up to do I.V. fluids on some horses and tube the rest of them. Otherwise we sat. I slept for one hour on the concrete aisle wrapped up in Murry's sheet. Emma (Philip Duttons head groom) sleep in the corner of Woodburns stall for the same amount of time. At 3 am the vet arrived, identified all horses and put them on the van to the airport. Well due to the delay in the horses flight, Emma and I went straight to our terminal to pick up our tickets. Here is where the first "problem" was.

Emma is British with a green card. Therefore her one way ticket to England was not of worry. However, an american trying to go to England on a one way ticket it is. I was immediately a "threat". Well after a large argument between me, Emma, and the ticket counter they gave up. They handed me a ticket to Washington DC and said word for word "Let DC figure this one out". Well that sounds smart. Go ahead, send the threat to DC. Anyways, in DC Emma frantically tried to explain my problem to them. However her heavy accent prevented them from understanding. They got confused, and gave me a ticket. Now the threat was headed over seas. SCORE.

The flight was short (6 hr 30 min) and we arrived early. Well much to our surprise, we found Phillip Dutton on our flight. This was excellent because Emma and I had no way from London to the farm. After getting a rental car, Philip drove at extreme speed to get us to the farm. I had many moments of panic. An Australian driving on the wrong side of the road in a stick shift muttering many words I could not understand. A brit in the front seat telling him to go faster so we could meet the horses to unload. And me in the back seat so crammed, holding luggage and freaking out. 60 MPH down single lane streets with tall hedge brushes. Sounds like my idea of a good time.

Horses arrived an hour late. No need for the previous speeding. We unloaded and walked and un packed and walked more and unpacked more. Then at 3 am went to sleep. I was exhausted. Keep in mind no one had slept in a bed for well over 50 hours.

I got up in a panic this morning thinking that I had overslept. Well it was 8:30. Pretty late for starting chores in this world. I was the only one up. Guess everyone was still too tired! I did chores in my PJ's and went back to bed. Then after I got up, Bonnie arrived. Boy was this exciting. She brought coke, chocolate and another polar fleece for me! She knows me all too well

The weather is cold. 50 and raining. Murry is warm. I am not. I live in a camper which is actually pretty nice. I have a shower. The hot water lasted about 37 seconds. GREAT. I slept well though..

Bonnie and I went to the store in town. Driving there was exciting. My turn is next. After battling traffic in the grocery store, I think I am ready. Those people are crazy with carts and always on the wrong side of the aisle when passing!

Leaving the store was my first encounter with the opposite sex in this country. And by that I mean flirting with them (sorry mom and dad). I was left waiting on the corner for Bonnie while she tried to figure which way to go to get the car out of the lot. I must have looked crazy or something because 3 very good looking 20 something year old guys approached me. I must have screamed american all bundled up in my winter coat and multiple polar fleeces. Anyway, we chatted for a good while (it took bonnie a while) and what not. It was successful. I got the "we hope we see you at the pub tonight". Well, I'm thinking Im going to the pub tonight.

Bonnie and Murry are out hacking now. He was VERY frisky and she was very cold. Sounds like a good combination. The rest of the day we will just hang out.

Tomorrow the horses have a gallop on the amazing hill. The BEST footing I have ever scene. Then Monday US Olympic Show jumper Laura Kraut is coming to give jump lessons. I guess I better bathe Murry for that. BURR.

The scenery here is amazing. If someone would please ship me Ollie, I think I will just stay. Plus Im just a short train ride from my sister.

Hope all is well in the states. Excuse my horrible grammar and spelling (again, sorry mom and dad.) I am just too tired to correct it all!
    Coren
    Last edited by rp4241; Jul. 18, 2008 at 06:06 PM.

Thanks for the update. Sounds like quite the adventure!
    Take Your Equestrian Business to the Next Level: http://www.mythiclanding.com/
    Follow me at http://mythiclanding.blogspot.com or http://twitter.com/mythiclanding

Thumbs up This could make for a very fun Olympic travelogue

Thanks for sharing. I hope Coren continues to update us on her cultural adventures and how Bonnie, Merloch and the rest of team for the duration of the preparation leading up to and through the Olympics.

Thanks for sharing, it sounds like so much fun! I hope all goes well at the "pub tonight" lol!
    Just because I talk slow doesn't mean that I actually AM slow.

Quote Originally Posted by rp4241 View Post
    Hi Everybody... Coren Morgan, Bonnie's groom in England, sent this e-mail out a little earlier and I thought I would share with the world. Thanks Coren! It sounds like all the horses and people arrived safely and everyone will get to work tomorrow... Anyway, unless Coren yells at me, I'll keep posting these updates. I know I wish I was there so we can all live vicariously through her...

Anyways, in DC Emma frantically tried to explain my problem to them. However her heavy accent prevented them from understanding. They got confused, and gave me a ticket. Now the threat was headed over seas. SCORE.

After getting a rental car, Philip drove at extreme speed to get us to the farm. I had many moments of panic. An Australian driving on the wrong side of the road in a stick shift muttering many words I could not understand. A brit in the front seat telling him to go faster so we could meet the horses to unload. And me in the back seat so crammed, holding luggage and freaking out. 60 MPH down single lane streets with tall hedge brushes. Sounds like my idea of a good time.

Coren

Sleep deprived Philip driving at high speed on the "wrong" side of the road with a sleep deprived Brit urging him on faster .... fortunately for Coren (and the US team ), he does have a knack for getting 'round safely at speed

(and thankfully,there were no officials around, else a "yellow card" might have been in order..!!)

That was wonderful, thanks for sharing!!

Love it! Thanks for posting! Hope she doesn't mind...she sure has a knack for storytelling.

I wonder if she's heading to the pub soon? Hmmmm.....
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Default I feel like a blog needs to be started...

Fun read! I can attest to the weather here in England, it SUCKS. I'm not far from them, and this is unseasonably cold for July, even in England. Poor horses with so many drastic changes in climate in such a short time, but then we all know they are getting top care. I wish everyone the best of luck, even though deciding which team to support will be difficult...

What fun to read - so nice that our grooms are not only good at their "horse jobs" but their literary talents aren't too scarce either. Please tell Coren just how neat it was to read about all the "background" - I had enough details to see it all through Coren's experience!
    ~ it no longer matters what level I do, as long as I am doing it..~ with many thanks, to Elizabeth Callahan

Great update, what an experience. Hope they keep coming!

Hey everyone!

Glad you are enjoying! I'm sure she won't mind that I posted, she's a pretty good sport! Plus, I'm checking on her horses at home for her. ha ha!

I will keep posting here but you can also check out our blog at: http://bonniemossersblogspot.blogspot.com/

You can get to it through this address or link to it through the breaking news section of our website: www.bonniemosser.com.

Thanks for sharing! She is a good writer, I really enjoyed reading that and found myself giggling with her many times. Can't wait for more!

Default Why the heck ...

(Coren's e-mail was great to read, this has NOTHING to do with it per se)...

Why the heck are we sending horses from relatively hot and miserable parts of the U.S. (smart idea on our part, trying to replicate those miserable Asian conditions) to England and Germany - where we can be fairly sure the weather will be temperate to cool -- according to Coren's e-mail, a rainy 50 degrees at the moment -- just to UNacclimate them to heat and humidity and potentially make HK all the more uncomfortable for them?

I believe the last few times the games were in that part of the world - Sydney and Seoul - we kept the horses in the states then flew the other way 'round, so we went from our heat to their heat. Having the horses (not just the event horses, but the rest of the US horses) do these European stopovers would seem to negate the advantage of schooling this summer in the heat at home? It seems, frankly, like having a group of horses used to going in U.S. heat and humidity, would be a competitive advantage over the Europeans that we'd be smart to hold onto. Or am I making too much of this?
    I evented just for the Halibut.

The flight thing... I don't totally understand it only because it was explained to me a long time ago and I've kind of already had my moment about it and moved on... but there actually was a really good reason for flying the horses from England and not the states. It had something to do with contingency plans should something go wrong with the flights. Like there are only so many places you can land with the horses or something. I'm sorry, this is completely unhelpful... But the training in England part was more due to the flights to HK for the horses than anybody thinking its a good idea to go train in cold England. Plus, the horses will arrive in HK on July 31 and the competition doesn't start until when? I can't remember but its like 8-10 days later... But either way, I totally agree that training in the cold right now is not ideal for preparing for the conditions to come. As much as I'm sure the horses are enjoying it right now...

Quote Originally Posted by NeverTime View Post
    (Coren's e-mail was great to read, this has NOTHING to do with it per se)...

Why the heck are we sending horses from relatively hot and miserable parts of the U.S. (smart idea on our part, trying to replicate those miserable Asian conditions) to England and Germany - where we can be fairly sure the weather will be temperate to cool -- according to Coren's e-mail, a rainy 50 degrees at the moment -- just to UNacclimate them to heat and humidity and potentially make HK all the more uncomfortable for them?

I believe the last few times the games were in that part of the world - Sydney and Seoul - we kept the horses in the states then flew the other way 'round, so we went from our heat to their heat. Having the horses (not just the event horses, but the rest of the US horses) do these European stopovers would seem to negate the advantage of schooling this summer in the heat at home? It seems, frankly, like having a group of horses used to going in U.S. heat and humidity, would be a competitive advantage over the Europeans that we'd be smart to hold onto. Or am I making too much of this?

The Brits are in the same boat as the Americans. What they have been doing is schooling the horses in blankets (yes even galloping) and the riders wear layers of clothing. I know Mary King has mentioned it in some interviews and Sharon Hunt (horse is Tankers Town) have been keeping on online diary about her training preparation for the Olympics. I don't know how helpful their method will be but as rp4241 has mentioned, our team will be arriving approx 10 days prior to competiton to adjust

Thank you again for sharing. It is so fun to read the "behind the scenes" and groom's perspectives of everything. So cool!

Quote Originally Posted by wabadou View Post

Sleep deprived Philip driving at high speed on the "wrong" side of the road with a sleep deprived Brit urging him on faster .... fortunately for Coren (and the US team ), he does have a knack for getting 'round safely at speed
    But isn't it the "right" side of the road for him?
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Re. the flights, I've heard it's something about there are very few places to land if you have an emergency. Apparently that wasn't a concern for us during Sydney or Seoul, though?
    And while our horses will have 10 days in HK, wouldn't it be nice to have those 10 days to adjust from real-muggy-hot (USA) to real-real-real-muggy-hot (HK), rather than acclimate from cool to superhot? It'd be cool (no pun intended) to a climactic advantage over the Brits, French, etc. with horses who weren't now going to cold just to go back to superhot? Besides (and maybe I'm just being overly dramatic now...) ponies' -- and people's -- systems tend not to like dramatic temperature swings.
    If the emergency thing was surmountable in the past, seems like it should be surmountable now, too.
    I evented just for the Halibut.

Coren this is so awesome to read and very funny. I like your new title groom ..although we all know you are a very accomplished rider in your own right. Now we can add literary agent to your job description!!.. I hear from a certain Texas mom that your horses in Virginia are being well cared for and ridden well while you are way..Keep the updates coming.

next to the Devon H.S. & what was the Radnor Hunt 3 Day

Very cool thread! Thanks for posting! I would think it was the 'right' side of the road for Phillip . . . not sure though haha

I agree with the whole 'no where to land' thing, incase of an emergency but its seems a little crazy to go from 80-95 degree weather here in the US to 50 degree weather in the UK to temps. well into the 100's i believe in HK. But hey, whatever works for them and their schedules.
    "Lucky you to have ridden Kildonan Tug- Luckier you to have loved him"
    "Carrying you to prelim was the jewel in Tug's crown."
    "Great horses find you. You don't find them."

The shipping arrangements had to be made with approval and permission of China from what I understand; we are not an island of ourselves and could not ship the horses independently from other countries -- evidentally China has rules and regulations and quarantine for all the horses in all the disciplines and this is the way that they worked it out for the best to meet the Chinese regs. I know some people fussed over it but you know they pay for the travel so they get to say how it's done. You want to play, you do it their way. I am sure security played a part as well; they obviously wanted secure airports that were equipped for horses, to ship to the Olympic Games, taking all proper care very seriously and as well they should. They would never live it down should some horrible misfortune happen to those horses in flight, and I am sure they are very mindful of that.

We are flying the horses from Europe thru Riyadh I believe then on to Hong Kong. Just the team members horses at that time will go -- not sure if it's four or five. As you know there are six horses there, so gathering in Europe, and then going on to China, avoids stranding the reserve horse and rider in some desolate runway someplace costing everyone loads to get them back.
    Travel logistics demand this method and there are other teams going the same way. I think it's a must. Also who can predict the weather. 50 is unseasonable for July there - as I understand -- ?
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com