The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Neighbor and dog issues - how to not start WW3 but keep dogs off property?

Long story short... The neighbor across the road bought their place at the same time we got ours. They have 3 acres and we are across the road with 6 acres. In the first 9 months we were here we had an incident with their friend's dog coming over, growling at us, and finally chasing the horses through the fence while we went to town to run errands. Neighbor never owned up to the damage the friend's dog did. They "thought" maybe a motorcycle or pack of coyotes spooked them in the middle of the day. I had a good hunch what happened that was confirmed months later by a neighbor who saw the dog chasing horses in pasture and tried to help while we were away. We were ready to SSS that dog, but he went for a car ride one Monday and never came back. My hunch is he bit one of the kids because he was "that kind of dog."

Also relative to their general character is that they ride their dirt bikes all over the neighbors crop land (and ours until we explained they weren't welcome to ride on our field.) They have had cats and rabbits. One of the cats now lives in our barn and all 5 of the rabbits have ended up living on my farm. Pretty sure chasing a rabbit was how my favorite kitty ended up getting hit by a car last summer.

Their previous dog was a good boy and stayed in the yard. He might have come over to visit twice in the 3 years he was alive. He recently passed from cancer and they got two puppies. Puppies are now bigger and about 80lbs. Like every other animal they have they let these two run loose, even when they are not home. I have chased them out of the driveway before and they growled and barked at me while standing on my property. Today I look out and they are back by my horse paddock assessing the situation. I have not SEEN them chase the horses (but I'm not home all day.) Given that my mare has laminitis and is confined to the dry lot for the forseeable future and does not need to be exerting herself I'm wondering how to talk to the neighbor.

He is your classic city boy moved to the country kind of guy. Without getting in to all the details we are very different people. I'm almost afriad to have a conversation with him about keeping their animals off my effing property but I've had enough. I am busy rehoming the 7 baby bunnies THEIR rabbit had under my horse stalls. They have allowed other animals to chase my horses in to the road and traffic and lied to my face about it. I have seen this go drive on the Interstate and he's a jerk while driving too (road rage.) I don't want to start world war 3 because every once in a while my dogs cross the road too, but the furthest they get is the mailbox. I don't want to escalate the situation, but I don't want to come home and find my horses through the fence, my mare foundered, or horses mauled. I don't think it's quite an SSS situation yet, but we do need to talk to them.

How do you talk to someone like this without setting them off? You'd hope they would just stick with dirt bikes and letting their kids play outside in T-storms, but they seem determined to have animals too. Advice please. I don't want to shoot the dogs since they've not done much more than trespass at this point, but I need to let them know they are not welcome over here.

Forgot to add we have 700' of road frontage and dog-proof perimeter fencing isn't a financially viable option at this time.

Electric wire on the outside, down low so they get shocked and gate across your driveway.
    Paint air gun too

Contact your local ACO or law enforcement and ask them to have a chat with your neighbor about your state law on dogs chasing or harassing livestock.

If they don't care what happens to their dogs, they may care about having to pay for all your vet bills should their dogs injure your horses.

I can't help you with anything else. The laws are there to protect livestock owners, and this is a job for law enforcement. While I have no doubt you wish to be on good terms with your neighbor, it appears he does not share that desire.

So talking to him neighbor to neighbor isn't going to do much good.

Best of luck to you.

Default bad neighbors

oh wow, you unfortunately have "typical" neighbors. when I lived in atlanta, they would shoot each other over blowing leaves onto each other's driveways. seriously, one guy died. and fights over animals defecating, right, one akita kept using my neighbor's lawn cause his owners turned him out of his fenced yard (didn't want their yard full of crap) and let him go on the dogless neighbor's front lawn, woke up one sat. morning to screaming and yelling as the old guy took the "present" down and rubbed it all over the dog owner's volvo.
    so unless you have leash laws, you are screwed and have to put up no climb fencing.
    when I was growing up, we had great neighbors, a nice old alcoholic who lived alone (her husband lived in town) and rich folks on the other side who only came out in the summer. given that our dogs roamed the bluff (no lease laws then) and my horses occasionally got out of our yard, calls were "your horse is on our lawn or in our marsh". guess we were the troublemarkers then,, but we made up for it by doing things for neighbors, and for getting my horses in right away. now back home here we have neighbors who violate the leash laws and laugh at it, including a dumb*** county commissioner down the road, and I had to put up a chain link fence years ago, and put up a stockade fence when I moved back home, inside the chain link fence. horses boarded now thank God as the rockets go off on holidays (illegal in this state) and we have more white trash acting on the bluff than ever.
    so you must either move, or build tall fencing, or what are those embankments of dirt, forget the name, where you have a mound of dirt that keeps the people from seeing you?
    I am trying to sell some property, not this house as it will be my sister's, and move between a vet clinic and a horse barn somewhere.....as I've seen nice people buy farms and have meth labs right next door in the country. of course we had a meth lab near my neighborhood when I lived in atlanta.
    same all over. people don't care about your horses, dogs, cats, property and f their dogs do something, it's your fault. so bad. and if you turn them in, they will kill your animals. white trash is white trash no matter where they live,it's the actions, not the $$$ or neighborhood.
    so move. I really think that equestrian communities might be the answer. except them you might get some like on the strangles thread.
    no good solution,.
    good luck

Around here its legal to shoot the dogs. Not saying that I would, but I have threatened my neighbours before.

Their dogs were chasing my new born foal. I grabed my gun and the dogs and went over to tell then yet again thier dogs are on my property. I think that they got the point. Now they let thier PIGs on my property. Yet again I told them that my dogs will kill the pigs, and still they are on my property.

Some people are stupid.

We do have an electried strand on the bottom of all pastures as dog-repellant. I also don't want their damn dogs in my yard with my 4 month old either. I don't know their dogs and I certainly don't want to have to worry about my child's safety in her own yard. I'll wait till hubby gets home to tell him about this and maybe he can diplomatically talk to the neighbor "man to man" since that seems to be the only way anything sinks in.

I once asked him to turn down his music at 10pm at night because his huge speakers were blaring and pointed right at my house. He didn't say a word, but walked over the wall and yanked the cord out of the socket. Yikes!

This just sucks. I wish they would just give half a $h!t about their animals. People haul down this road too, but I don't feel like I should have to worry about my child, dogs, cat, and horses on our own property.

I am familiar with the law, but don't think the dogs have crossed the line that deserves to have a bullet in them yet. On the other hand, I don't ever want to come home and find my horses thru the fence again or find my recovering mare struggling to get to a safe place on sore feet.

If you can catch the dog(s), can you call Animal Control to pick up the "stray"? I mean, how do you know what his new puppies look like?

Do you live with other neighbors around or is he your only one? Like if you shot the dogs with a paintball, would he know it was you? I would then play dumb. "gee wonder how that happened? don't you keep them on your property?"

I hate rude neighbors. Especially the yuppy city transplants who think "country living" means they buy 1 piddly acre for all their animals/kids/toys, but act like they own the whole kingdom & get peeved they can't trespass.
    "I'm not crazy...my mother had me tested"

A friend had a dog (intact male)that kept visiting her farm. She trapped the dog and had her vet neuture it, he use glue instead of stitches. He never came back, turned into a real nice stay at home dog for his owner. You might try a donkey, they are very territorial and will get any dog or coyote that comes into their field, they use them here in Fl. to guard cattle.

I had a pitbull (intact male) that kept coming around, I fed it and got it to trust me then hauled it to animal control, it didn't have any tags on it's collar. 2 weeks later the pitbull (still intact) showed up again, had to cost them $100 to get him out of jail, this time he had a paper tag with it's owner information on it. The dog had to cross a highway to get to my house so I took the tag off and took him back to animal control. Either they bailed him out and had him fixed or not but he hasn't been back. At least he didn't get hit by a car on the highway.

Quite frankly it doesn't sound like you'll be able to tell anything to your neighbor without setting them off. So, if you can safely catch the dogs, take them to the animal shelter and drop them off as strays.

If you can't... well, I'll relate this story only because it worked. A friend had a similar problem, except the dogs were chihuahuas so shooting them wasn't exactly an option (it was coming right for me!!!!!!!!!). The neighbor kept these dogs inside overnight and let them out to run amok during the day. He spiked some raw hamburger balls with mineral oil, which the dogs ate one day while roaming his yard. The resulting overnight mess on the carpets convinced the neighbor to get rid of the dogs.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

I agree with JSwan - let ACO handle the talking.
    You don't need this asshat in your face.

For the frontage you may want to try what a friend did for her problem with "Roman Dogs" - planted a thick row of thistle where they used to cross onto her land.
    ouch
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

They would know it was me that shot them with a paintball gun. I have taken aim at the previous dog (the friend's) with a pellet gun. Never hit him, but felt better firing at him.. (How awful is that.)

I didn't want to call them names, but they are the epitomy of white trash. Father in law bought them the house to get them out of the bad part of the city they lived in. They own 3 acres, but ride their 4 wheelers all over everybody's crops and tresspass left and right. I was sorry when their other dog passed from cancer because he was a good boy and trained himself. I knew we'd be in for it when they got new dogs. They just let them run loose in the yard while they are gone.

I won't get in to their random visitors at all hours of the day and how they can afford all these toys when husband only works 1/2 the year. (He spends the rest of the time laid off and riding his 4 wheeler across everybody's crops.)

For the most part we have tried to ignore them. It is hard though when their animals keep coming over. If I wanted rabbits I would get some. I don't need yours. If I wanted more dogs I would get some. If I wanted your dogs over here I would call them over.

Moving is not an option and perimeter fencing would cost a fortune that we don't have right now. We do have boxes and boxes of ammuntion though if we need it. Hubby and I are both animal lovers though and hate to do that unless it is the last resort. Last time it almost came to that they disposed of the dog.

These dogs run and play with their boys in the yard, but why do they need to be loose all day while they are gone. Keep them in the garage. They just leave their shed door open and go off doing whatever it is they do.

Quote Originally Posted by PalominoMorgan View Post

How do you talk to someone like this without setting them off?

Advice please. I don't want to shoot the dogs since they've not done much more than trespass at this point, but I need to let them know they are not welcome over here.
    What is the loose critter ordinance in your area? As close to town as we are, our township has off property leash laws. Load up on information before you approach them. And who knows, you may not have to say anything. Someone in a position of authority can.

I am familiar with the law, but don't think the dogs have crossed the line that deserves to have a bullet in them yet. On the other hand, I don't ever want to come home and find my horses thru the fence again or find my recovering mare struggling to get to a safe place on sore feet.

Well, you're getting plenty of warning that one of these days you're going to come home and find exactly that.

Or worse.

If your neighbor won't be responsible for his animals, you're going to have to do something.

Look at it this way. Dog comes over, chases the horses, horses go through the fence into the road, car filled with people comes down the road and plows into the horses, causing injury or death to the passengers.

Now - do you think that the survivors will care that you were trying to maintain good neighbor relations?

I realize these folks are jerks and its frustrating. But you have a duty to care for your animals. Someone is breaking the law and putting you and your animals in danger.

It's a matter for law enforcement.

Called town clerk and as of 2002 our town has a lengthy ordinance that allows dogs to be unleased on their own property. The second they step foot off property they are required to be leased. Dogs are required to be restrained at night or when unattended. I think I'll wait for hubby to get home, but will place a call to dog control officer and let her explain the laws to them.

I like the thistle idea, or blackberry vines, not sure what grows in your area.

I do want to say tho that (as Giddy-up noted) you probably have no way of being certain that these are HIS dogs... I mean they are probably mixed breeds mutt types, and oh lets just pretend they are black (cause aren't all big dogs that end up in bad homes dark colors?)..... I mean they could have come from ANYWHERE. Pick 'em up and take 'em to the pound. I feel sorry for them 'cause I bet your neighbor starts over again with new pups and doesn't bail them out but at least they'll be taken care of and the new pups will take a while to find your land.

PS. If they have ID tags, lose them somewhere.....

edited to add: dropping them at the pound is easier because then you really are not sure whose dogs they were. if you call ac about your neighbor's loose dogs then, um, YOU called. And no, I certainly have never done ( Or do I mean "been caught doing??") this myself!! Now, where is that angelic icon??
    Last edited by Chester's Mom; Jun. 5, 2008 at 02:37 PM. Reason: add a thought
    HaHA! Made-est Thou Look!

Called town clerk and as of 2002 our town has a lengthy ordinance that allows dogs to be unleased on their own property. The second they step foot off property they are required to be leased. Dogs are required to be restrained at night or when unattended. I think I'll wait for hubby to get home, but will place a call to dog control officer and let her explain the laws to them.
    There you go. Town can take care of the issue for you!

Quote Originally Posted by Chester's Mom View Post
    PS. If they have ID tags, lose them somewhere.....
    Ha ha ha ha... omg, I almost fell out of my chair. That's hilarous. LOL. No, no collars or tags as far as I can tell.

I wonder if you'd get further 'aversion-training' the two dogs, than getting the owner to cooperate. What could you do that wouldn't hurt them, but would make a lasting bad impression and make them shun your place? My first thought was pepper spray - but that's probably going into the hurting them zone. Is there a less extreme thing similar to pepper spray? Ooooh, I know...grab 'em and get out the horse clippers and clip a message on their fur: "keep me home"...

Ha ha ha ha... omg, I almost fell out of my chair. That's hilarous. LOL. No, no collars or tags as far as I can tell.
    See, just as I suspected!! No telling whose dogs those are? Oh my, they couldn't possibly belong to your neighbor because he knows you have horses and don't want dogs on your property. Darn stray dogs! He would probably appreciate them doing to the pound, I'm certain they annoy him too.
    HaHA! Made-est Thou Look!