The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Hunt Caps?

No, this isn't a question about safety issues....

What are everyone's feelings about them as in what level do you feel someone should have ridden before wearing one in dressage? (I know there's no rule about when you can and can't wear one, besides under 18 and not for jumping) I've seen some riders who haven't gone above novice and are wearing them at horse trials. To me if you've gone training or above, its more acceptable to wear one(more or less). What are your feelings about wearing one for schooling shows? I know its really up to the rider's personal decision if they choose to wear one, as well as safety reasons, but aside from that I wanted to hear everyone's opinions.

I know its really up to the rider's personal decision
    That pretty much sums up my personal opinion on the matter. To each there own. I have one, and I wear it on occasion, depending on the horse.

You might not intend it to be a question about safety, but that's a hard issue to avoid when you ask this question.

Pretending to ignore that factor, though, I've never associated wearing a hunt cap vs. a helmet as being linked to what level one rides, more a matter of choice about how you look in the ring. I guess I would find it odd at beginner novice, on an obviously new rider, just because an "item of apparel" seems like an odd thing to spend your money on when you are just starting out with riding. Kinda like it would be odd for a beginner to blow their money on, say, a monoflap jumping saddle.

Now, ask me about shadbellies? There's an item of apparel that I think where they are allowed and where they are appropriate is totally different.
    I evented just for the Halibut.

Quote Originally Posted by cevent View Post
    I've seen some riders who haven't gone above novice and are wearing them at horse trials.
    You seem easily shocked. Perhaps going for a nice calming ride is in order.

Tangledweb- I'm not easily shocked.... My personal opinion is that a BN or N rider shouldn't wear one.

Tangledweb- I'm not easily shocked.... My personal opinion is that a BN or N rider shouldn't wear one.

what about a BN or N rider who has ridden dressage at the FEI levels? what about a **** rider sitting on a 4 year old at its first outing so riding in BN or N?

Level competing has nothing to do with it....it is personal preference, skill of rider and temperment of horse in my book.
    ** Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip. ~Winston Churchill? **

bornfreenowexpensive: I should have clarified, I meant to say a rider who has only competed BN or N, in my opinion shouldn't feel the need to wear one. To me it seems silly.

Your right, level competing has nothing to do with it and it is personal preference, skill of rider and temperment of horse... I just wanted to see if anyone else has noticed more use of hunt caps in the lower levels with low level riders wearing them.

Your right, level competing has nothing to do with it and it is personal preference, skill of rider and temperment of horse... I just wanted to see if anyone else has noticed more use of hunt caps in the lower levels with low level riders wearing them.

not noticed it any more than has always been the case. If anything, I've seen more people wearing approved helmats.....
    ** Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip. ~Winston Churchill? **

What are everyone's feelings about them as in what level do you feel someone should have ridden before wearing one in dressage?
    It's poor judgment at any level, IMO (which is what you asked for).

I've seen some riders who haven't gone above novice and are wearing them at horse trials.
    Here's what I'm wondering: how would you know and why would you care?

To me if you've gone training or above, its more acceptable to wear one(more or less).
    Well, ok. But did it occur to you that riders who you see at BN and N might be real-life DQs who are accustomed to competing in straight dressage in a hunt cap? Maybe they're looking at you in your hunt cap thinking you shouldn't be wearing one till you've competed at 3rd level.

What are your feelings about wearing one for schooling shows?
    Same as at recognized shows. Still a bad idea.

body in charlottesville VA, heart in Ocala FL

I wear one. I have ridden thru training so far. I have worn it at at novice and training. I am 17. All three coaches I have ridden with wear one. I trust my horse enough.

Just because we are riding at BN/N doesn't mean we are new riders. I wore a hunt cap for a million years showing HUS in AQHA and Open shows long before I ever thought of eventing. I used to wear one for dressage at even *gasp* Smurf level...Now, I am a bit more safety conscious, and will only use an approved. However, I think it's personal judgment, not levels achieved. Now, top hats and shadbellies? That's a different discussion!

body in charlottesville VA, heart in Ocala FL

Quote Originally Posted by Jagged View Post
    Above 18 is a rule.

I beleive only for a rider who has proven himself, not the ammy struggling at BN/N/T. But then I am fairly classical in my thoughts.
    Above 18 is NOT a rule for eventing dressage.

Technically they should be in bowlers - and for the rider that wants to wear a certified helmet but wants a traditional turnout - there are certified helmets in a bowler style from Troxel.

Just bc we're riding in the BN division doesn't mean we haven't been competing regularly at Intermediate. I used to always wear a hunt cap at P and I. A top hat with the shadbelly for the CCIs. Then I got a new horse. I NEVER rode him ANYwhere without a certified astm CRASH helmet, with chin strap done up. Hell, I even wore the helmet in the barn when he was around-that saved my life one day-so, judge not. People have priorities. Whether you agree with them doesn't really matter, does it? I am in the habit of always only wearing the helmet now. Now too, I am riding a hot 5 year old TB. No hunt caps for me!

A hunt cap is just a (sometimes) better looking, un-certified alternative to a certified helmet. IMO, you can wear them at the lower levels, regardless of your competition record, it is a matter of personal choice (and some would say level of insanity or stupidity, although I am personally not one of them). I have a different opinion entirely about bowlers, top hats and shad bellies, which are traditionally worn at higher levels (both in "real" dressage and in eventing).
    Treat Jockey for Spellbound and Smidgeon

I personally find it a bit obnoxious when people going BN and such wear them, that goes with my "over-tacked pet peeve".

I dont wear one at Training, because I dont feel right about it. Maybe after my venture into Prelim Ill feel like Ive earned it.

Quote Originally Posted by J Swan View Post
    Technically they should be in bowlers
    Only if they wanted to be technically eliminated.

What? Did the rules change and no bowlers allowed in the dressage phase?

Or are y'all talking about stadium and I missed it?

Quote Originally Posted by c_expresso View Post
    Above 18 is NOT a rule for eventing dressage.
    I dont know about the US, but it is in Canada, so it actually quite surprises me that its not in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by J Swan View Post
    What? Did the rules change and no bowlers allowed in the dressage phase?

Or are y'all talking about stadium and I missed it?
    Eventing dressage (BN-P) specifically says hunt caps and references the general rule about certified helmets being permitted at any time.

I have not been in the US long enough to tell you what year it was deleted.