The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

Unhappy Could use some encouragement--FedEx delay

My one shipment for which I didn't have a tracking number--showed up fine. The shipment I DID have tracking for, that looked like it was ok until early this morning... nowhere to be found.

Both mares ready. These are the two I'm using the Bio-release Altrenogest on. All went precisely according to schedule. Except the actual SEMEN part.

The "plan" is to breed on "16 or 17"

The big mare's cervix wasn't exactly *wide* open... so I can hope that the little Paint mare holds on. Wanted to breed pre-ovulation with the big mare, which I think we got... post is ok in the little mare, unless it's so far post we miss her. I just worry that the Swim Team was cooked as it sat in Memphis all day. Not sure if I'm getting Big Blue or a disposable. One could hope for Big Blue in this case.

I learned how to do the AI myself today, under Vet's watchful direction. I've been learning with him for years, but he finally made me do it today, because I will have to do it solo tomorrow. Also won't have the luxury of u/s to know if we made it or not, will just have to guess by cervix tone.

The biggest PITA is that I won't be able to ultrasound until day 19. So unless we're really lucky, I might not have time to organize a rebreed if needed. UG.
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

Memphis is where our first shipment of the season got lost for some unknown reason this year. Call...call...call... Keep records of who you talk to, etc. Eventually you might end up filing claim. Hopefully it will find its way to you soon! Jingles!!!
    There are stars in the Southern sky and if ever you decide you should go there is a taste of time sweetened honey.

Can you make a claim if it was just late?

UPS lost a shipment of Harkaway Lionhawk for Lil .The stallion manager and I screamed BLOODY MURDER, I was able to pick up the replacement at the UPS depot the following morning and dear Lil didn't ovulate till after the semen got here.

She's in foal but the embryo is attatched in the body of the uterus, not a good place to be
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

ooh... the *good* news is it IS an Equitainer! YAY!

That makes me feel slightly more hopeful. He has excellent motility as far out at 72 hrs, and hopefully the Equitainer will make the difference...

Now, if the *mare* will cooperate... <crossing fingers, toes, eyeballs...>

Yes, we did...bc it was so late it was all mostly dead and we had missed the ov by a while. (We ended up putting it in her anyway because, well, stranger things have happened but no dice.) We had to get a letter from our vet talking about the unusable semen, etc. There were a TON of hoops to jump through but it really did cost a ton of money to set up the mare, all the vet visits up to breeding, collection fees, shipping fees to us and then back...on and on and on. I think we ended up having to provide a letter from the vet, the stallion owner, our local US representative, our Senator, and George W. (Obv the last three are a jest but you get the picture.)
    There are stars in the Southern sky and if ever you decide you should go there is a taste of time sweetened honey.

Default FedEx suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by pintopiaffe View Post
    ooh... the *good* news is it IS an Equitainer! YAY!

That makes me feel slightly more hopeful. He has excellent motility as far out at 72 hrs, and hopefully the Equitainer will make the difference...

Now, if the *mare* will cooperate... <crossing fingers, toes, eyeballs...>
    If it is still missing call 1-800-go-fedex and insist on speaking with a KAMLOOPS customer advocacy representative. Tell the Kamloops rep the shipment is cooled semen. Don't waste time with the regular representatives.

Yes, you can most definitely file a claim if the shipment does not arrive on the day it is supposed to arrive. Your contract with FedEx is for delivery on a certain date and before a certain time on that date depending on the service you selected.

Well, it was here this morning, and quite cold still in Big Blue.

Mare was still quite interested, cervix was nicely open, so we didn't miss *her* but I've no idea yet how the swimmers are. Dropping them off (yes, another 4 hrs later!) for an eval in a few minutes.

All it takes is ONE, right?

Good luck! It's bad enough waiting for a bridle which is late, let alone semem. Hope she catches!
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

We didn't miss her, but...

4.5 hrs post breeding (i.e. semen had been out of the equitainer (though not the whole time) handled a bit etc. Motility was only 25%. Some forward, but 'sluggish'.

We'll see. She could not have been more ready. Cervix was perfect, she was in breaking down heat, I expect she'll be out tomorrow. So maybe just one leetle slow, sluggish swimmer will make it....

Default Fingers crossed for you!

We didn't miss her, but...

4.5 hrs post breeding (i.e. semen had been out of the equitainer (though not the whole time) handled a bit etc. Motility was only 25%. Some forward, but 'sluggish'.

We'll see. She could not have been more ready. Cervix was perfect, she was in breaking down heat, I expect she'll be out tomorrow. So maybe just one leetle slow, sluggish swimmer will make it....
    If you insured the package, file the claim in the next 48 hours and include your vet costs. Also call a Kamloops rep about the claim.

I can SO empathize. I had a similar situation with my mare twice this season. One Equitainer encased shipment was emptied by a FedEx employee before they delivered it to my vet.

Best of luck to you. It only takes one, after all.

Was the one where you are trying for your dream filly this shipment or the shipment that made it as scheduled?

It really does only take one. Hopefully that 25% was all of the X's still swimming. After all, they do live longer....

There's a happy thought! My shipment was 50% two weeks ago (scanning tomorrow). Maybe that 50% was the filly semen left, and the colt semen had already checked out somewhere at a state border.

Default FedEX

So, what did Fed Ex have to say about the delay? Just curious as I have found them to be super nice and helpful. I DO go straight to a supervisor and start with her and work up even further if it seems the shipment is going off track. I do track it after droping it off, that night before I go to bed, and first thing in the AM. Usually you can spot something amiss quickly and fix the problem.

Did you track it? It wasnt a SAT delivery, which is the most likely not to be delivered on time (Sat i mean), but I use the yellow stickers all over the equitainer and make sure that when I check it in I stay to see that they have done their thing on the computer at FedEx and that they finish doing the label. I am just so concerned for my customers.
    Sandy
    www.sugarbrook.com
    hunter/jumper ponies

I lost one in Memphis too. It REALLY aggravated me because the package was only going from Virginia to Maryland, what was it doing in Memphis? The FED-Ex people wasted my entire day on the phone. I talked to probably five or six people, ALL were completely unhelpful. Lucky for me, the mare managed to have a second follicle that survived the weekend and we bred on an airport shipment on Monday. It's getting so FED-Ex loses one for me a year these days, and it the last two times it's been for the same mare!
    www.heartofgoldfarm.com

RIP "Rio" (BW-Clarion) 2000-2009. Bright Spirit, Brave Heart, Loving Soul. I'll love and miss you forever.

Well, the SO is the one dealing with the claim. She has an account and is very familiar. I did get the vet to put the motility (or lack thereof) in writing. (and--is it me or is $40 a little steep for a slide, a warm stage, and about 3 minutes of time? Usually my vet does it for free when he breeds, but I had to run it to a local place as my own vet is 90mi one way... I was a little shocked at the pricetag... )

Delay was a 'service delay.' NOT weather. The girl at the desk gave me the 800 number for claims *yesterday* the second time I stopped in--without me even asking. The girl this morning (and yes, I got names, THANK YOU CotH!) said it sure looked like a FedEx error. We'll see. Funny she said Memphis is the Black Hole of Equitainers. Whassup with that? There was a flight delay in Newark due to a bumpy landing, but we never made it there... were stuck in Memphis for 12 hrs.

OH--and for those keeping count (you guys crack me up that you remember these things!) This is the colt dance. This mare is new to me, she's the blue-eyed-medicine-hat, baroque as heck dam of the Azteca I lost last August. Being bred to Saphiro. Ginger has been FABULOUS and I think is actually more upset than I am!

The Sempatico swim team arrived right on schedule, and was delivered to destination before 1100 yesterday. I didn't have the luxury of follow up u/s's today, so I don't know *when* that mare popped... she's my Big Bay Broodmare Extraordinaire(TM) who is retiring after this FILLY. Black and white, minimal white, filly.

Really, I've just been blessed with two WONDERFUL SOs to deal with this year. I can't complain. I just hate to put SO's out by going too late in the season. *I* can do fall babies no problem, but I know how old it gets to still be breeding in August.

Can you make a claim if it was just late?
    Yes. In 2004, I was in Virginia and breeding to a stallion in California. The semen went from California to Memphis to California to Memphis to Virginia. Gah! Talk about frustrating! Luckily the stallion was being collected again the day my first shipment went astray, so they were able to split the second collection and get another shipment out to me. Both shipments arrived the next day, but the mare had already ovulated. Luckily, she did get pregnant, though, and I now have a lovely three year old to show from the ordeal.

But, yes, I filed a claim and collected insurance on the shipment that was late.