The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Draft sized dressage bridles??

Any suggestions for shopping online for a draft sized (NOT oversized) dressage bridle????

Drafttack.com has bridles and even has fancy jewel browbands.

Dover has a quite large oversize (I know you said no oversize...) and is very likely to fit a draft. I have two drafts and both have custom made bridles from the amish and were about $300 each.

Many of the draft horse people I know love their Weaver tack. And Weaver is quite wallet friendly, too.
    http://www.saddleandtackwarehouse.co...p?item_id=2615

Drafttack.com has a dressage bridle - http://drafttack.com/English/Bridles/xavier.html

I am assuming that you are very familiar with you horse but I will just throw this out there. Being a draft owner I am speaking from my experience. Sometimes draft owners think that their horse is much bigger than he is. My guy is a working size Belgian smaller than the ones you see in shows. Anyways he fits in a German full size bridle. I make a point of it being German because German bridles tend to be more adjustable. If you do go with tack that is specifically for drafts try to see it before you buy. Sometime the quality is not that great.

I have a Heritage oversized. My horse seems to have a large head, but he's on the very short end (last hole!) of the cheekpieces and caveson. You might do a search and take measurements. I got the oversize because I needed the larger throatlatch and browband.

It is not a draft size, but unless your horse has a head the size of Texas I think it would probably be large enough, unless the throatlatch and browband are too small.

Here is a link to my bridle.

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Heritage-Eng...QQcmdZViewItem

I got a Crown Jawband Flash Bridle from Dover in O/S for my full percheron. I never thought it would fit. It looks great. I should even punch some holes in the flash attachment. It came with reins, too. There plenty long enough. I might get a fancy brow band from drafttack.com. They had accouple that look nice.

measure your horses head before you go buying anything
    you need to know the total measurement from bit to bit over the head
    also the width of the brow band
    the measurement from the base of the ear over the head to the base of the other ear (crown piece)
    and the throatlatch measure

We found with our bigboys that they needed the oversize at the top of the head but shorter cheekpieces than the big bridles came with

If you have measurements in hand you can compare to actual tack out there

If you are anywhere near the Amish, you can get a really nice custom bridle done for a reasonable price and made to size. This allows you to pick the features you like (color, leather width, stud or buckles at the bit end, etc)

I bought a O/S Passier for a mare two years ago and it fits great. I love it. I bought another (slightly different O/S Passier model, this one has the padded crown). It doesn't fit her or her daughter (that I bought it for). Both mares have fairly long heads. I was so bummed. The two bridles are about six inches different in size (seriously). So, be careful, even when looking at the same brand. These were both from Dover. Make sure you phone up and get the measurement and measure your horse's head before buying. They don't like to do it, but they will, if you really, insist. Many O/S are huge and many fit the average W/B.

Weaver bridles aren't fancy but they are sized correctly for a draft head and they are very adjustable.
    Luistano Stallion standing for 2013: Wolverine UVF
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IZPHDzgX3s

I used a Stubben's oversized for my full Belgian. The Perch/TB is wearing a horse size Kieffer. Dressage Extensions is very helpful if you call with measurements.

thanks for all the suggestions, unfortunately my Shire really does have a huge head, but so is everything else! size 9 shoes. I am having a custom halter made because all the draft halters look too "drafty" and heavy or industrial! We like to look classy and stylish too!
    I may be stuck with not so pretty stuff!, can't afford a custom bridle right now!

I hve a belgian and a friesian/percheron cross- my OS bridle fits the belgian, but not the "per-sian" He needs a bigger one. I have had good luck with the sizing on the tack from this store-
    http://www.usfriesianreferral.com/merchandise.htm

I also have found a few nicer draft dressage bridles on ebay for not too bad....

Did you check the Heritage? Is the throatlatch too small?

It really is huge.

I have an extra draft bridle that is too big, but I don't think it's nice enough to use at a show (cheesy Chetak w/out a padded cavesson).

Tack wholesale has a few that are pretty inexpensive.

http://www.tackwholesale.com/product...oducts_id=1527