The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Show Picture -- Auto Release

Here's a link to my favorite picture from last week's show. It was the second show with my new horse, and we did great! Lots of ribbons, including blue and tri-color. Every once in a while, someone asks about an auto release. This seems to be a pretty good example of one. Plus, the horse is happy, and it's a great picture. Photo credit Lili Weik Photography.

http://www.photostockplus.com/home.p...lbum_id=199331

that's not an auto release. in fact, it's not really a release

Congrats on your show this past weekend!! Your turnout is lovely (I assume jackets were waived).

Your photo does show a short crest release, pretty good expect your hands are just about to be "floating" just above his crest, you would need to drop your hands about 2" to be an auto, but a short release looks like a good one for you and your horse at this stage.

Would you like a critique? or you just sharing?

Again, congrats and happy riding!!
    www.brydellefarm.com ....developing riders, NOT passengers!
    Member of LNHorsemanshipT & Proud of It Clique
    "What gets me up every morning is realizing how much more there is still to learn." -GHM

pony4me, congratulations on your successful show. To see some true "automatic" releases, do a Google Image search on Bill Steinkraus.
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzieQNutter
    The whip is held across your thigh so as you can still hold the reins without spilling your coffee!!
    SillyHorse adds: Or your wine.

SillyHorse - Not a bad idea.
    http://www.horsemagazine.com/ARTICLE...einkraus_4.jpg

That... Wow. I'll make that my riding goal. :P

Quote Originally Posted by kitsunegari View Post
    that's a long crest release

I agree your first picture is of a short crest release. It obviously is fine for your horse over this jump, so I wouldn't sweat it - you're not exactly catching him in the mouth

It only looks somewhat like an auto release because your body is so far in front of the pommel. If you had been back over your saddle, your arms and reins would have been in a broken line. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with a good short crest release But, an auto/following release puts the hands several inches below the crest so that, with the body in the proper position, the arms and reins form a straight line.

Congrats! you have a very cute horse too!

I agree with the others, it's more of a short crest release. Drop your hands a couple of inches, and it would be more of an auto release.

Definitely make it a goal of yours in riding, I would love to see more riders using the auto-release! (Now, this is not to say I have a perfect auto-release either, but I'm trying! I am able to do a nice auto on some ponies that i'm very comfortable on, but others i still end up doing a crest with.)
    (|--Sarah--|)

Blitz <3 & Leap of Faith <3

pony4me is online now Grand Prix Premium Member
    Original Poster

Thanks, everyone! I'm not looking for a critique, but will take all of your comments into consideration. Especially the hip angle thing, which I have been working on; making some progress, but not enough. I'm very happy with where we are at this stage of our partnership. I had the "new horse blues" for a while, but things are getting better.

Quote Originally Posted by pony4me View Post
    I'm very happy with where we are at this stage of our partnership. I had the "new horse blues" for a while, but things are getting better.
    You look like a good match. It always takes time to build a relationship with a new horse, you look well on your way.

As another poster said, you are jumping ahead, your crotch is way in front of the pommel, this has occurred for a few reasons, your stirrup is too long (your knee angle is >110), your heel has come up and leg slipped back, and I wonder about your pace...is your horse behind your leg...you may need a spur to make him more responsive to your leg and have him more on your aids. Shortening your stirrup and getting your horse on your aids, will allow you to be more quiet with your upper body, allowing your horse to jump to you vs the other way around.

Your boy looks like a nice, patient, quiet partner. He is keen and has a very flat, non-jarring jump.

Keep it up!! You have lots of blues in your future.
    www.brydellefarm.com ....developing riders, NOT passengers!
    Member of LNHorsemanshipT & Proud of It Clique
    "What gets me up every morning is realizing how much more there is still to learn." -GHM

Congrats on your show, but I agree: that is not an automatic release. At all. An automatic release is where there is a straight line from hand to bit, no breaks. This is a short crest release.

Well since there is no slack in the reins at all, I'd call it a crest release anyways.
    Slack in the reins has nothing to do with the type of release.

Well since there is no slack in the reins at all, I'd call it a crest release anyways.
    A good short crest release won't have much/any slack, but the point of an auto release is to have NO slack, because the goal is to follow the contact of the horse's mouth at all stages of takeoff, airtime, and landing

Well seeing as how I didn't move my hands and just pushed them into the neck I'm pretty sure I would call it a crest release IMO.
    That's actually called a "no release"
    --Heather
    HAE Design

Just curious, would you guys consider this to be an auto release?
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...rniecabin1.jpg
    I've really been trying to work on keeping my hands down and developing an auto release. I think maybe my hands could be an inch or two lower here though...

Quote Originally Posted by Threedaydream View Post
    Just curious, would you guys consider this to be an auto release?
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...rniecabin1.jpg
    I've really been trying to work on keeping my hands down and developing an auto release. I think maybe my hands could be an inch or two lower here though...
    It either is or isent, and thats a decent example of one. You line from your elbow to the bit is just in the slightest bit broken.
    Shoot, that whole picture is GM worthy, great riding!

I live in Chantilly, VA but I ride in Anytown, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Final View Post
    that's not an auto release. in fact, it's not really a release
    Actually, that's a short release.

"If you have the time, spend it. If you have a hand, lend it. If you have the money, give it. If you have a heart, share it." by me

I live in Chantilly, VA but I ride in Anytown, USA

Here is a good example of an auto release that a former student of mine sent me.

"If you have the time, spend it. If you have a hand, lend it. If you have the money, give it. If you have a heart, share it." by me

Default A tip

When I rode in England, we were taught automatic release from the beginning lesson. Here's a tip you might try... when your horse takes off over the hurdle, instead of thinking 'lean forward', think 'butt back' --this will slide your backside towards the back of the saddle and your body hovering in a centered position over your saddle. Practice on the ground off your horse-- get into a riding stance with legs slightly apart, knees bent and arms as if you are holding the reins approaching a jump. Now tell yourself, 'Butt back' and do so. See how you are now centered over your legs, not thrusting forward in a precarious position out of the saddle? Now practice mounted on your horse at a standstill. See how you are centered over the saddle which will make you more secure? Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Anyplace Farm View Post
    Here is a good example of an auto release that a former student of mine sent me.

Wow, she looks great. The true auto release obviously requires excellent balance and solid position, which she demonstrates.
    "Horses give us the wings we lack"

Quote Originally Posted by doubleclearjumper View Post
    when your horse takes off over the hurdle, instead of thinking 'lean forward', think 'butt back' --this will slide your backside towards the back of the saddle and your body hovering in a centered position over your saddle.
    This is exactly what I do. I have a lingering tendency to want to stand on my toes and fling my upper body forward, which I've been fighting for, oh, 35 years. I mentally think "butt back, heels forward, follow the mouth" to keep the balance over the jump.
    Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.