The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Kentucky peeps and Kansas peeps!! can you help me?

I decided that communicating with shippers was too much a pita so I said screw it... I am going to drive out to CO for NAYRC myself!

is there anyone around Lexington/Lousiville KY and Topeka, KS that would be willing to put up a girl, a horse, two dogs and a dream for a night or two? once the way there and once the way back.

dates are around 7/22-23 and 8/3-4

thanks guys!!!

You might give Susan Harris at Spring Run Farm in Louisville, Kentucky a call. She has a horse trial every year, so may have a few stalls available for an overnighter. Check in the omnibus under Area VIII for contact information.

Don't know much about Kansas except that it is a REALLY, REALLY long drive from one end to the other. I drive to Colorado every summer, and when I hit the Kansas leg, my mom calls me every 3 hours, and I always have to say, "Yep...still in Kansas."
    Random horse pics http://www.flickr.com/photos/glfprncs/
    Talk to me about fitness or nutrition (I'm an A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer)!
    My blog! http://personalsweatequity.blogspot.com/

When I was driving back and forth from KS to VA I used to use one of those overnight stabling directories to stop in Lex/Louisville. You might want to get one.

That said, I think Stoney Meadows overnights horses in Bonner Springs, KS. They are right off of 70 and about 25 miles east of Topeka. It should be about another 9.5-10 hours to Parker from there.

http://www.stoneymeadowfarms.com/

Default KY stopover

get in touch with Jo (qheventr@aol.com)
    as a veteran of NAYRC herself - she may be able to help. Her farm in in Paris, just NE of Lexington and about 10 miles from I-75.

I'm north of Indianapolis with plenty of stalls if you want to go a bit further on the first leg.

Let me make a few phone calls - we have lots of friends in the Leavenworth area who can probably help you out. I will e-mail you.

Badger. . .any thoughts? She is a teammate of Andrew's.

The great Bluegrass State. Or Commonwealth. Whatever.

We're in Bardstown, just south of Louisville and an hour west of Lexington on the Bluegrass Parkway. We have plenty o' stalls and even turnout if you want.

If you're wanting to stay closer to Louisville, try Susan Harris at Spring Run - www.springrun.org , Mary Lowry at Alta Vista Farm - www.altavistafarm.com or Martha Lambert.

In Lexington you could try Megan Lanzarone (www.teamceoeventing.com) or Chris Newton at Antebellum Farm. Chris is a vet at Rood & Riddle, so you could reach him that way.

Or PM me and I can get you his info.
    To be conscious that you are ignorant is a great step to knowledge.

If for some reason you decide to take I-40 instead, you're welcome to stay at my place. We're right off I-40 just outside Nashville and we have big stalls, turnout, rings, the works. Also have an apartment in the barn which is unoccupied if you want to bunk with the horses. PM me if you decide to come that way-

What interstate are you taking that you'll go through KY? I do the Maryland-Colorado drive a LOT and usually jet out I-70 the whole way there. If you get an early start, Indianapolis area would be a great stopover, though I admit I usually stop in Ohio and Kansas when I'm doing the drive w/horses.
    Kansas is a looooooooooong state but it's very rural with lots of potential stopping points. I second the idea about those horse hotel guides -- a CURRENT one. You should at least have it with you in case you run into some kind of mechanical problem and can't get as far as you want in a given day.
    I evented just for the Halibut.

If you'll be coming through Lexington, Saddles & Sheets http://www.saddlesandsheets.com/ is maybe 3 minutes off the interstate (I-64 that is... maybe 15 minutes off of I-75). They're on the nationwide overnight directory and have a lovely facility dedicated to layovers. You, your dreams, and your dogs would be welcome to stay with us (we're about 5 minutes from S&S). Good luck!!!

I am in Leavenworth, KS and a veteran of NAYRC 2000.
    www.3chesnutsfarm.com to check out where we are if you want to stay with me. I have a spare room in my house if you need a place to crash too!

sorry, I spelled that wrong. www.3chestnutsfarm.com. We have room for dogs, a horse and you! We are about 20 minutes off of I-70

I board and train with LAZ so if your horse ends up staying at her place you and your dogs can crash at my house as long as the dogs are cat friendly. I have a fenced yard, two dog-friendly dogs and two cats. I'm about 15 minutes from LAZ's place. PM me if interested.
    "If ever I did not have a horse or dog in my keeping, I should feel I had lost touch with the earth." ~Beryl Markham

PM me if u still need help for a place to say in KY
    http://www.chronicleofmyhorse.com/profile/HECS04
    Proud Member of The Mighty Thoroughbred Clique!!!

I think you should take revyhorse up on her very generous offer. Stoney Meadows is right off I-70 but not right off an exit, so you have a bit of meandering to get there and that means that 3 Chestnuts wouldn't be that much more out of the way. But at 3 Chestnuts you get an honest-to-goodness and terrifically fun eventer to host you.

Wonderful that you and Andrew are teammates together. Have a great run!
    Hindsight bad, foresight good.

Talking

I second taking revyhorse up on her offer. 3 Chestnuts is not that difficult to find and has large stalls for overnights. Revyhorse has a lovely house, wonderful husband, two awesome dogs of her own and is just a heck of a lot of fun!
    A horse may be coaxed to drink, but a pencil must be lead.

you guys are DA BOMB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GO AREA 8!!!!!!!!