Denny reminded me of something.

You will hear people state that 'back in the day' we didn't have 'X' equipment and managed to survive...

Why do we have seat belts in cars? Because they save lives. It has been proven through study that seat belts have made car accidents MUCH less fatal than before. In the 1950's a car accidents occuring at 30 MPH were almost always fatal. Today, this is a minor accident.

So, hunt caps without a harness were likely to fall off the person's head and thus not be protective. People also figured out that wearing a helmet that was made a certain way was better at protecting the noggin than without.

A great and sad example of someone seeing a safety product, ignoring it, and resulting in a very sad event. In NASCAR a new safety harness was designed to help keep a race driver's head from going to forward in a crash, resulting in an internal decapitation (skull separates from the neck, severing the spinal cord). Guess what safety device Dale Earnhart Sr. did not like to use? Guess what the cause of death was for Dale Earnhart Sr. after that crash......

The point is, while these are all adults and can do what they want - it is just idiotic to use a piece of safety equipment because it is not mandatory, because you don't like the 'feel' or whatever. It is also important to remember who looks up to you. I did spend some time not wearing a helmet (yep, I was an idiot in college). Most of the reason I put it back on was because a few kids at the barn where I kept my horse looked up to me and I wanted to set a good example. The O'Connor's are no different - they have every ability to set a good example by being professional riders, a good a people as they can be and wearing safety equipment. I feel the same way about people like Buck Davidson, Laine Ashker, Gina Miles and others.