The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default David O'Connor ~ Has anyone seen this?

Thought this was interesting...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImzUgnhV-EU

So why is our leader in eventing safety riding and JUMPING without a proper helmet?

Kind of cuts against USEF rules, no?

Oh well. My respect for this particular gent has long since gone out the window.

I have no idea when this video was made. But it looks like the other rider (which I think is Karen) is riding in the same type helmet.

So it might have been before the new safety helmets came out and/or were required.

Just thought it was a neat video.

Yes, I've seen it.

Originally posted by JER:

So why is our leader in eventing safety riding and JUMPING without a proper helmet?
    Well, at least it matches up with the old cliche, "Our Fearless Leader".

At least they do have their helmets on, although they may not meet proper regs of today.

Nice video. I like the O'Connors, my trainer actually knows them well. I have seen the neck ring riding done by others too (on TV not in real life) and it looks cool but it makes me wonder if it offers the same "pros" as the bridle.

If the slightest, and I mean trully THE slightest, pressure on the bit is considered an aid for the horse to perform whatever, how is the neck ring going to produce the same aid? The neck can't be as sensitive as the mouth with a bit in it. That's my opinion of course. I am FAAAAAR below the O'Connors' riding skill to know better

It's an interesting demo. Until certified helmets became mandatory at competitions many many riders rode in hard hats.

It doesn't look like a competition, so there probably aren't any rules about headgear. Could have been done yesterday, but I suspect 3-5 years ago as that is when they were working with natural horsemanship.

HAY ZUES CHRISTO

The video was a DEMO awhile ago and not remotely recent, it has been on internet for years.

People used to jump in those helmets all the time.

Those chapeaux were sold as 'items-of-apparel-only'. ASTM/SEI certification was in existence.

I didn't need a rule to make me choose safety over fashion. The data was enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by JER View Post

Kind of cuts against USEF rules, no?

Oh well. My respect for this particular gent has long since gone out the window.

First of all, this was a presentation/deminstration David and Karen did MANY years ago. IT WAS NOT A COMPETITION. And it was waaaay before the USEF even existed.

Second of all, David and Karen are 2 of the finest horsemen in the world. Period. I think they know what they're doing and they would never wear an unsafe helmet.

Also, FYI - David is riding Tex in this video - or most of you know him as Giltedge. He was an amazing horse David took to the Olympics, WEG and he also won Rolex with him in 2001.
    "Fifteen minutes of excellent work is better than an hour and a half of wandering aimlessly around." -Col. Bengt Ljundquist

JER, how in the frig can you tell what kind of hard hat they are wearing?

I know the last hard hat I bought was in 1990 maybe and it was, at that time, the highest approved hard hat that also did not look dorky (always a priority). It did have a leather saftey harness which I tended to use only when required on show grounds.

I've always had some kind of jockey helmet around for schooling green or ruined horses.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrapnel View Post
    First of all, this was a presentation/deminstration David and Karen did MANY years ago. IT WAS NOT A COMPETITION. And it was waaaay before the USEF even existed.

Second of all, David and Karen are 2 of the finest horsemen in the world. Period. I think they know what they're doing and they would never wear an unsafe helmet.

Also, FYI - David is riding Tex in this video - or most of you know him as Giltedge. He was an amazing horse David took to the Olympics, WEG and he also won Rolex with him in 2001.
    I guess just because you're not in competition you don't need to be safe? Niiiccccceee theory.

They would never wear an unsafe helmet eh? um...exhibit A.

The USEF didn't exist in the late 90s early 2000s? I actually didn't know that.
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Sorry... I didn't mean for this to turn into a "bash" or helmet thread. I just thought it was neat to see. I've only seen the western lady (Stacey) do the demos w/o a bridle so when I stumbled across this, thought others would like to see it (if they hadn't already). Knew it must have been an older clip but couldn't figure out the exact date.

The helmets they are wearing are the kind I wore years ago. Heck, I went to a hunter show just a few years ago (before the new rule passed) and many A/A riders were wearing these types of helmets.

I agree... at least they are wearing helmets. I see too many YouTube videos where people are riding and jumping w/o helmets. As far as I'm concerned... if you are over 18, you can do what you want. "At your own risk".

Quote Originally Posted by Shrapnel View Post

I know it wasn't a competition.

I would guess this demo was circa 2002-5 but perhaps someone else knows more. I know that students were riding this horse and the horse was doing demos and the OCs were working with Parelli during those years.

My line about the USEF wasn't a very good one, I'll admit. But I'm used to rewrites so... my point is that we've known for a long time, long before the USEF came into existence (2003?) that those harness-less, non-safety-material hats did not offer measurable head protection. The data was there long before the helmet rule came into effect (2005/6?).

I'd like to see our leaders lead by example.

David and Karen are wearing non-protective headgear in the video. I hesitate to say they're wearing 'unsafe helmets' (your term) because their headcoverings are not safety-rated or manufactured to any safety standard.

I'm not saying the OCs aren't fine horsemen. I'm saying I don't agree with their choice not to wear helmets while riding. And I really don't like seeing DOC jumping without a helmet, although I personally think it's just as important to wear one on the flat.

I'll tell you a story about why I feel so strongly about this. A couple of years ago, my friend fell off a horse at either the halt or the walk. She was on a paved road. She wasn't wearing a helmet. She was sitting on her horse one moment and on the road seconds later (this from the closest witness). She was an excellent, experienced rider. Cut to horrific brain injury, nearly died several times, still in full-time care, etc. During the first week or so of her coma, I was sitting in her hospital room when another friend came in. She'd been out of town and wanted to know. I explained the accident, she was a non-horseperson and said "But you wear those helmets when you ride." I said "She wasn't wearing a helmet." The friend grabbed our comatose friend's shoulders, leaned in close to her and wailed "Why didn't you wear your helmet!" over and over and just sobbed and sobbed.

I will do anything to avoid putting my loved ones through this kind of agony.

They did this demo at Rolex in 2002 IIRC.....I was there, and although I don't think much of the whole Parelli business, the O'Connor presentation was really cool.

Hunt caps were really popular up until more recent years, so it doesn't surprise me to see them wearing them....that was more the in thing back then, probably. Even UL riders today will ditch the approved helmet and change to a hunt cap for the victory gallop. Not saying that I advocate it, as you'll NEVER catch me on a horse without an approved helmet, but the O'Connors are good horsefolk, so cut them some slack about a demo they did several years ago.

Thumbs up right on !

good video, thanks!; I saw their presentation at the e nearby horse expo, was a lot of Parelli, without mentioning him by name I i happen to agree totally with his outlook; We do bridle less riding inTTeAM;it changes the relationship with the horse so profoundly, so much, that, I had to go off and sit by myself after doing it; it is a very profound experience It isa mamazing but, with no bridle /bit, the control is better, quicker.
    Last edited by Carol Ames; Jul. 13, 2008 at 09:09 PM. Reason: edit needed
    breeder of Mercury!

remember to enjoy the moment, and take a moment to enjoy and give God the glory for these wonderful horses in our lives.BECAUSE: LIFE is What Happens While Making Other Plans

Default unbridled

Has anyone else here ridden without a bridle?

My former trainer used to have us do it occasionally; actually not even with a neck strap. We had to guide our horses only with our bodies, and even jumped crossrails and small verticals. I was really scared at first, but boy, it ended up being a great lesson and a big confidence builder. It was interesting to discover that you can actually jump better without one.
    No hour of life is lost that is spent in the saddle.
    -- Winston Churchill

I have a photo of myself at aged about l3 jumping without a helmet on our lawn. There was also no arena fence, no shoes, no saddle and no bridle. But then my Mum didn't know anything about horses and riding and was blissfully unaware.