The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I live in Chantilly, VA but I ride in Anytown, USA

If we didn't clap, horse shows would be such downers.

Be thankful we aren't like folks at gaited events. They whoop and holler like its a basketball game. And anything you can do to make the whites of the horse's eyes show more, the better.

"If you have the time, spend it. If you have a hand, lend it. If you have the money, give it. If you have a heart, share it." by me

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeful Hunter View Post
    Oh, heck...I'm so pathetic I clap for EVERYTHING... good rounds, bad rounds that the rider "saved" or stayed on for, barnmates, people I know...I figure someone out there is as nervous as I always am, and just acknowledging they ARE out there is worth a clap. I even clap when placings are announced in a class I'm part of, and didn't pin!

I'm not sure why it's so verboten, but I'd be happy to see more engagement. After all, we do this for fun, and I don't care who you are, it's fun to be applauded. Plus, some of the ex-racers really like the attention ;-).
    I could not agree more! I clap for everyone, and cheer for my friends, regardless of a good or bad round. For the vast majority of us, this is a really fun hobby, and making it around the ring and having a good time is the best part about it. I don't think trips should have to perfect to merit a bit of enthusiasm! If the trip is perfect, that's just the icing on the cake!
    "A canter is the cure for every evil."

Oh, heck...I'm so pathetic I clap for EVERYTHING... good rounds, bad rounds that the rider "saved" or stayed on for, barnmates, people I know...I figure someone out there is as nervous as I always am, and just acknowledging they ARE out there is worth a clap. I even clap when placings are announced in a class I'm part of, and didn't pin!

I do the exact same thing. I clap for everbody, good or bad, my class or not.
    Theater Majors only: Lead swap, lead swap, wherefore art thou, lead swap?
    http://www.youtube.com/user/CraziiPonii

We even clap after dressge tests!
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    Those martingales were so taut, you could play Ode to Joy on them with a comb

The clapping is nice and I surely contribute my share, but is it my imagination or do some trainers have a thing where they hoot and scream like every single class is the Olympics? I'm not knocking genuine congrats or anything, but there are times when it starts seeming more like a 'look at me, I'm the trainer' than appreciation of the round. Subtle advertising, maybe?

A lot of trainers have their signature 'whoops', so, you just do it unless its really bad. Then, I think you get just the clap....clap...clap out of your trainer.

"If you have the time, spend it. If you have a hand, lend it. If you have the money, give it. If you have a heart, share it." by me

I give a clap for a good round. My riders get a clap at the end of the round - polite clap if it was "medicore" round, enthusted if it was a nice round. A big clap though occassionally goes with the territory for some of the green beans - sometimes a completely clean round the first time out deserves a big clap, especially from the "looky"' mare who likes to throw the brakes on if something is unexpected.And sometimes just hitting the changes gets applause.... it all depends on the rider and horse involved. My 3' children's division rider is not going to get the same loud applause for a "normal" ride as a short-stirrup rider is going to get for getting her horse around the course at a steady pace on the correct leads.

Quote Originally Posted by copper1 View Post
    It is really kind of sad the lack of enthusiam demonstrated at hunter shows. A good performance deserves a reward from the spectators. I was at a big Arabian show this past weekend and in the main ring the fairly large crowd was really into the horses and there was much clapping and cheering as their favorites made a pass by the judge. Huge cheering when the winners made their victory pass.
    I have seen this at reining competitions as well as each good move gets a round of applause and cheers. Makes it a lot more fun to watch!
    Amen to that!

I only whoop for barn mates, but I clap for all good rounds. That is one really nice thing about the 2 foot division I compete in - we're so friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by Anyplace Farm View Post
    If we didn't clap, horse shows would be such downers.

Be thankful we aren't like folks at gaited events. They whoop and holler like its a basketball game. And anything you can do to make the whites of the horse's eyes show more, the better.

I have a dirty confession. Yes I love H/J. BUT -- When the spectators at one of the arabian shows start yipping and yelling for the gorgeous halter hose in the ring, it's just absolutely so exciting! The horses play off the noise and its just electric!!! Their feet barely touch the ground! Scottsdale, Nationals, etc.

That being said, it really needs to be a big crowd, the yipping at a local show just doesn't carry the same vibe. You need hundreds in the audience not 10.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunny's Mom View Post
    I have a dirty confession. Yes I love H/J. BUT -- When the spectators at one of the arabian shows start yipping and yelling for the gorgeous halter hose in the ring, it's just absolutely so exciting! The horses play off the noise and its just electric!!! Their feet barely touch the ground! Scottsdale, Nationals, etc.

That being said, it really needs to be a big crowd, the yipping at a local show just doesn't carry the same vibe. You need hundreds in the audience not 10.
    This reminds me....

When I was a little kid, we had this pony named Joey. On most occasions, he was a little chestnut tyrant. He was also the cause for one of my first bloody noses when he went galloping across a field and then came to sliding stop causing me to take a nosedive over his head and where I quite literally, "ate dirt." I was about 4 at the time.

We did a lot of parades as a family, and one year, I rode Joey in the local Labor Day parade and horse show. That pony took one look at all those people and immediately, his neck arched, his knees came up, and he pranced his way through the entire parade. It was a blast, really, because he was being so good and obviously having a great time. However, the prancing was to our detriment during the games at the horse show. Instead of racing to the end of the arena, he took one look at the people leaning on the fence and just knew it was time to show off again. I couldn't get a canter out of him for anything, and we pranced from one end of the arena to the other, and back again. I was so embarrassed, but looking back, it's one of my best memories. To this day, I miss that pony.

Anyway, that proved to me that some horses just LOVE the applause and attention of a large crowd and like to be stars.
    "It is not necessary for you to let everyone know everything about you. In fact, it is probably wise that you don't. There are some things that you need only discuss with God."

Quote Originally Posted by see u at x View Post

Anyway, that proved to me that some horses just LOVE the applause and attention of a large crowd and like to be stars.
    SO SO SO true. one of my favourite ponies to ever trot the earth, a pony i leased last year (and am actually going to go ride today for the first time since last year, im SO excited!!!!) was SUCH a showoff. he LOOOVED to strut his stuff! at shows, he was so bored with the warmup rings. hes like, "noone is watching me here! this is so boring!" but then step into the show ring, his ears are perked and hes pretty as can be! he was good at everything he did. hunters, eq, and jumpers. he was such a star in pony jumpers, especially. he would just whizz through everything! probably the most common phrase used to describe anything he does is "whoosh" :P i love this pony so much. i cant wait to ride him later!!

ok. this was off topic woops!
    (|--Sarah--|)

Blitz <3 & Leap of Faith <3

Oh I love all the whooping and hollering at Saddlebred shows...

On the other hand, I've always found the hunter trainer whoop pretty comical, and it always makes me giggle. Who started that? It had to have come from somewhere, if all the trainers these days have practiced and developed their "signature whoop..." When did the whoop (tm) first appear in the hunter show ring? Anybody remember?
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunny's Mom View Post

Yeah, I can understand that. Those horses are just so stunning so I'm sure the combo of crowd and them is neat.

I do also get a kick out of the little bags filled with gravel, tied to the end of a stick that you are supposed to shake at the gaited horses. If that doesn't make your whites pop out and your head and tail lift, I don't know what will.

I am actually in the process of becoming a hunter/equitation judge and honestly, when judging, I need to be so concentrate that I do not notice if the spectators clapped more for one horse in particular...

Clapping to support a good or bad round does not influence my judgement. When people are clapping, my score is already printed on the result sheet so... clap as much as you want

... I even clap when placings are announced in a class I'm part of, and didn't pin!
    I do that too!

Clapping is a good way to show sportsmanship and appreciation for competitors in my opinion. A good round or a personal achievement deserves recognition, and clapping is a nice way to show it.
    "The more I see, the less I know, the more I like to let it go." -Red Hot Chili Peppers

Default History of the Hunter Whoop

Back in the stone ages of the 70's and 80's...
    The Hunter Whoop was invented by Bill Cooney and Frank Madden in their hay day and it was fully intentioned to alert the judges and influence the judge's decision.
    The whoop was a long and loud drawn out WhhaaaaWhhooooop, WhhhaaaaaWhhhoooop. Everyone at the show grounds knew it and everyone on the show grounds could hear it.
    Albeit they had some of the best horses and riders in the hunters and equitation ranks but the very public displays, led to a very obvious and open sense of unfairness/politics in judging.

Everyone should clap enthusiastically for a great round, and clap politely for everyone else. And we should all support one another, even if we don't ride in the same barns.
    It is called sportsmanship.
    Additionally, enthusiasm is contagious and it would be nice to spread a little enthusiasm for our sport, especially at the shows where there might be non horse people spectating. A little team spirit goes a long way.

When I showed some of the bigger shows locally, I brought extra chairs, invited friends and offerd them cocktails and finger foods to enjoy the day ringside. They would clap for everyone and really enjoy the day and my fellow spectators had a few good laughs as well with us.

Quote Originally Posted by Showsheen View Post
    When I showed some of the bigger shows locally, I brought extra chairs, invited friends and offerd them cocktails and finger foods to enjoy the day ringside. They would clap for everyone and really enjoy the day and my fellow spectators had a few good laughs as well with us.
    I want to sit next to all of you! I'll bring food/drink and clap right along.

Just make sure to hold the applause until after the corner. It sucks when a beautiful trip gets destroyed when either horse or rider blows that last lead change because they're so caught up in the applause.

and please don't clap when you think the trip is over, but the rider still has another fence to do.... I've had that happen a few times and I have to think - do I have another fence to do or am I going off course?

Quote Originally Posted by CBoylen View Post
    I appreciate friends and family who don't leave me wondering if I've somehow gone off course .

We start a lot of beginner kids at local shows this way. "When you hear us all clap for you, do your courtesy circle. You're done. If we're not clapping, KEEP GOING. You've miscounted and still have another line".

VERY useful at beginner schooling shows where they are doing Ground Poles or Cross-Rails 'courses' that are outside lines only: some shows have them do each line twice (8 fences), some are 3 lines only (that's the hardest for the kids to remember, because they repeat one line and then are supposed to be done), and some cut it all the way down to just 2 lines (once around the outside of the ring, 4 fences and you're done). And counting how many lines they've done is not a skill set many young kids have.

It really encourages new riders (and their parents) to hear that tangible support. And really, a lot of people will clap for every round, every rider.
    Incredible Invisible