The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Just be sure you pay attention and count the fences...nothing worse then somebody losing track and whooping/clapping and the horse figuring he's done and dropping to a trot. After fence SEVEN.

Ask me how I know
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Default Whooping ..Whooping you really have to know....

Im a whooper ..for many friends at the horse shows.inc Jeff and had I been at Penn State ..i would have whooped for Calboy...what a great horse..first time that he was asked to do 3'6 and was champion.and put 1st in his pocket for 5000...this was at the first show...I know Bill he didnt get that much.. Lets see how he does this wk,and I know he has been showing with Karin and others but not over 3 ft. I expect a very good wk for all his students and adults,....WHOOP ....WHOOP...WHOOP

Quote Originally Posted by findeight View Post
    Just be sure you pay attention and count the fences...nothing worse then somebody losing track and whooping/clapping and the horse figuring he's done and dropping to a trot. After fence SEVEN.

Ask me how I know
    OMG!!! When my trainers dtr was a youngin' (she still is but she has graduated college so she's not a tiny tot anymore ) she was was in a class up at Penn State. She was jumping around, none of us were paying attention to the actual course as we were busy chatting away. She hopped a fence, my trainer started clapping away so we all joined in. The next thing we knew she jumped another fence coming across the diagnonal towards us. Her face was in total shock and we all thought the greatest lil pony ever went crazy with the jumping. Turns out her course wasn't over yet...oops!

Thankfully she kept going but she sorta lost her concentration after that...poor thing
    Lord Stanely, Lord Stanley - come back to Pittsburgh!!!
    http://www.chronicleofmyhorse.com/profile/2_tbs
    *** I LOVE PUIKA FAN CLUB***

My trainer only claps if my round is good and worthy enough of being placed. If I have a great round, he whoops, whistles, and claps loudly. It's not done to influence the judge; it just shows his approval for a round well done.

Plus, it always makes me feel good when I hear him whistle because then I know I laid down a trip worthy of whistling over.

Wouldn't it be nice if each round was rewarded polite clapping from everyone instead of considering applause tacky ? It seems like the only time everyone claps anymore is when a rider stands up after falling off.

I always clap. For everyone. To me, just going out there and giving it a try (good or bad) and having the guts to do that, deserves a reward. So I clap.

I've always been taught that it's polite. Kinda like going to a musical, play, concert or other event. Is it tacky when people clap at things like that?

Now I agree that the obnoxious clapping, wooping, whistling and hollering is a bit over the top. But it can be done tastefully.

I appreciate people clapping... even if I sucked.

JMO.

Whooping is one of the strangest and hardest things to explain to lay people. If you really listen as, say, someone at a horse show for the first time, most trainers sound like barking dogs My husband, who is non-horsey, looked at me like, you can't be serious....

Quote Originally Posted by LSM1212 View Post
    I always clap. For everyone. To me, just going out there and giving it a try (good or bad) and having the guts to do that, deserves a reward. So I clap.

I appreciate people clapping... even if I sucked.

JMO.
    I agree, ever been to a piano recital ?

I clap for everyone I see (even if they fall, kinda a 'good try' thing) But the only thing I hate is when I'm trying to clap with gloves on, the sound gets all muffled and it feels weird

Quote Originally Posted by findeight View Post

Ask me how I know
    Well, that isn't as bad as taking a wrong fence, I have, it was in the jumper ring, I was doing a Jump-off, but I was thinking actual round, and I went over a fence I wasn't supposed to, good thing it was a schooling show, or else I think I would have been eliminated.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearhunter View Post
    Here, here!! I switched discplines to hunters from the Saddlebred world several years ago and it floored me at how unenthusiastic the crowd was. Now, I know the ASB folks tend to get a bit carried away but I am all for supporting each other when a good effort is made.
    Man I know what your talking about, I went to World 2 years ago and lost my voice for a couple days .

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Quote Originally Posted by Midge View Post
    Not that every rider is going to get the message!!!
    Well I'm sure Rudy appreciated the big ol' GOOD BOY pats you gave him when he declined to jump the oxer the wrong way.
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

Funny story: a SS pony kid's dad thought the hooting and hollering was because everyone was so happy that, after all the waiting, waiting, and more waiting, the kid finally got to jump a course!

didnt read the whole thread, but i always like to end my rounds and hear clapping. I show on my own, and I only ever have my dad with me b/c he trailers. So if he is even at ring side watching me, he doesnt know the difference between a good round or a bad one. So it really makes me feel good when others clap. makes me feel loved

i dont think it influences the judge any. The only time ive had it influence the judge was during a costume class the judge took the opinion of the crowd

Quote Originally Posted by snaffle635 View Post
    Depends on the horse. We had a green bean at our barn who would start bucking every time we clapped. We stopped. :-)

Other than that, yep, I clap.
    How about when the announcer asks that the crowd hold their applause? I had a green OTTB that must have had track flash-backs when people applauded and would explode! For his first few shows we would ask that the crowd hold their applause and you know what? They never, ever did. Do people forget in the time it takes to finish a round or do they just want to see what will happen? Once he pulled shoe and I had to pull up in the middle of a jumper class because it was half off with nails and clips digging into the sole. I hopped off and managed to lead him out and what does the crowd do...big round off applause! So now I have a horse jumping around on a half pulled off shoe. Thanks people. I also saw this at Rolex this year. One of the Canadian riders asked for the crowd to hold their applause and they didn't. At the jog when it was announced that he had passed the horse actually went down and was scraped on both sides in the hind. Then after his showjumping round they applauded for him again even though they had announced again to not applaud. I'm sure we all appreciate applause for a job well done but when the announcer says hold your applause...HOLD YOUR APPLAUSE!
    "look deep into his pedigree. Look for the name of a one-of-a-kind horse who lends to his kin a fierce tenacity, a will of iron, a look of eagles. Look & know that Slew is still very much with us."

Sure...if I don't walk by the ring halfway through your trip and never heard the announcer, I'd be glad to.

Ya know, I really don't think those people clapped on purpose just to screw you up. Maybe they were not there to hear. Maybe they didn't listen, and Lord knows some announcers go on so much so often everybody kind of tunes them out so that is possible.

But they didn't all do it on purpose just to see what happened.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeful Hunter View Post
    Oh, heck...I'm so pathetic I clap for EVERYTHING... good rounds, bad rounds that the rider "saved" or stayed on for, barnmates, people I know...I figure someone out there is as nervous as I always am, and just acknowledging they ARE out there is worth a clap. I even clap when placings are announced in a class I'm part of, and didn't pin!

I'm not sure why it's so verboten, but I'd be happy to see more engagement. After all, we do this for fun, and I don't care who you are, it's fun to be applauded. Plus, some of the ex-racers really like the attention ;-).
    I'm sort of like this, too. While I may not clap for everything, I'll definitely clap for the other people who pin in my class, for my barnmates, and for nice rounds. If someone does a particularly good job, I'll even go up to them and tell them "congratulations" or "great job." I especially try to acknowledge strangers who do nice things at the show, like when people come up and compliment me on my horse or something. I then make it a point to notice if they do well and congratulate them afterwards or if I see them later on, to ask how they did. Personally, when my barnmates cheer me on, it really gives me confidence and makes me feel like I earned my ribbons...because if I sucked, they'd DEFINITELY let me know!
    "It is not necessary for you to let everyone know everything about you. In fact, it is probably wise that you don't. There are some things that you need only discuss with God."

Quote Originally Posted by see u at x View Post
    I'm sort of like this, too. While I may not clap for everything, I'll definitely clap for the other people who pin in my class, for my barnmates, and for nice rounds. If someone does a particularly good job, I'll even go up to them and tell them "congratulations" or "great job." I especially try to acknowledge strangers who do nice things at the show, like when people come up and compliment me on my horse or something. I then make it a point to notice if they do well and congratulate them afterwards or if I see them later on, to ask how they did. Personally, when my barnmates cheer me on, it really gives me confidence and makes me feel like I earned my ribbons...because if I sucked, they'd DEFINITELY let me know!
    Yep... I do this too. I clap while ribbons are being handed out even when I'm in the class. I will either say as we are exiting the ring or when I pass by them to whomever received 1st or 2nd... "nice job". But that's just my nature. I don't expect it in return.

To me it is summed up as: Good Sportsmanship

But we do the same in the dog world. It's just what I'm used to.

My trainer always claps unless there's a drastic mistake, like going off course or a refusal or something like that. She'll whoop too, but not very loudly. The only time I heard her whoop really loudly and for a long time was when I laid down an extremely unexpected nice round at a regional medal final when I was still on ponies.

I clap for ANYTHING. If the rider or horse is from my barn, I clap for them. Even if they epically failed . I just think it makes the rider feel good. I like getting claps so I give claps!
    With my trainer, she claps for good rounds, but if you did an extra special job she'll whoop...but it has to be very good to get a whoop!