The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Quote Originally Posted by 2 tbs View Post

The only alternative to them being an idiot in that scenario would be if the rider or horse had a serious issue and accomplishing a mediocre trip was actually a massive accomplishment. In that case, as a judge, you wouldn't realize the milestone just having been achieved but the friends and trainer would and therefore supply claps and whoops appropriately.
    The milestone thing may be the case once in a while, but more often I think it's a trainer's misguided attempt to convince the judge (or the rider, or the rider's parents) that it was a great trip when it was not that great.

The trainer may convince other people, but generally not the judge. Sometimes I think I must be hearing a whoop from another ring, since we must not have watched the same trip.

Quote Originally Posted by 2 tbs View Post

The only alternative to them being an idiot in that scenario would be if the rider or horse had a serious issue and accomplishing a mediocre trip was actually a massive accomplishment. In that case, as a judge, you wouldn't realize the milestone just having been achieved but the friends and trainer would and therefore supply claps and whoops appropriately.
    This is true sometimes. I had a disastrous KY Spring show one year when I was seven or eight. Came off my horse three times and my pony twice (all in the schooling ring). I was so terrified and had my confidence shaken so badly that I rode backwards to every fence and buried them into the base to make sure they would jump (alot of weird coincidences had happened that had resulted in spooks, run outs and refusals). I didn't show at all the first week b/c clearly it would have been bad and when I finally started to calm down a bit I went in a few classes a good foot lower then I had been doing....well of course I came off again. Both times freak accidents involving loose horses running around the show grounds and back firing trucks. On the last day of the show I managed to get both of them around in a nice manner, not a superstar round, but I got good spots everywhere and all my changes. I nearly fell off in my courtesy circle b/c my trainer (notorious for NEVER whooping unless a truly exceptional round had taken place) whooped and clapped so loudly it scared me .

But I also agree with MHM, I think those cases are rare as alot of stars have to align to have such a disastrous week and a half when the rider had been prepared and had plenty of experience at the level they were going to show prior to arriving.

OHG, I TREASURE my Trainer's whoops, cause if I got one, then I did good! My trainers only whoop for the really good rounds, for the good ones they clap.
    It was so funny when my baby green when around his 5th or 6th trip ever and did so good, but had to circle for a lead change, my trainer was very pleased, so instead of whooping or clapping he just tapped his pointy fingers together and said yea,yea directly to me, so no one would hear we were happy but didn't want everyone else to think it was good, if that all makes sense.