The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Clapping at hunter c;lasses

I hear that happening a lot, usually by the rider's barn. Is it considered appropriate, or tacky. Is it done to influence the judging?

i dont think its usually done to influence judging. i think it's just the kind thing to do. sure, there's plenty of people who think if they clap loud enough that it will influence judging, but i dont think that ACTUALLY makes the difference. a good round deserves a good clap! i always clap for someone when i watch their round, even if i dont know who they are. just the nice thing to do
    (|--Sarah--|)

Blitz <3 & Leap of Faith <3

I always quietly clap for any round I see, unless it's a barn mate with a really good round, in which case I may clap a little louder. "Whooping" privileges are reserved for the trainer (at my barn) and only on the best of rounds. We are always very excited when my trainer whoops because it means we did really well. She doesn't whoop loudly or obnoxiously, but it's a nice gesture IMO.

I don't think it has any real effect on the judging of the class.

Quote Originally Posted by make x it x so View Post
    I always quietly clap for any round I see, unless it's a barn mate with a really good round, in which case I may clap a little louder. "Whooping" privileges are reserved for the trainer (at my barn) and only on the best of rounds. We are always very excited when my trainer whoops because it means we did really well. She doesn't whoop loudly or obnoxiously, but it's a nice gesture IMO.

I don't think it has any real effect on the judging of the class.
    Oh, the hunter whoop. My barn usually does jumpers but when we do show any of the hunters we make sure we practice our whoops before the horse goes. .

As far as clapping, I've never found it tacky when it's by barn mates or spectators for a good round. What is tacky, IMHO, is when a trainer claps super loudly and whoops for a sub-par trip. I think that some trainers do do things like that to influence judging, but all of the judges I've talked to just find it irritating. They know the round wasn't good - don't flatter yourself or try to pull the wool over the judge's eyes.

Absolutely you should clap if the round was good (and the definition of good varies by horse and rider. If they stayed on, and that wasn't a given going in, by all means clap ). If the round was really good, a whistle or a whoop is a nice gesture to the rider. As someone with a trainer who barely claps unless the round is close to a 90, and even then doesn't make much noise, I appreciate friends and family who don't leave me wondering if I've somehow gone off course .
    On that note, I don't think it influences judging, but a silence after a round leaves everyone, including the judge, wondering what mistake they missed.

It is really kind of sad the lack of enthusiam demonstrated at hunter shows. A good performance deserves a reward from the spectators. I was at a big Arabian show this past weekend and in the main ring the fairly large crowd was really into the horses and there was much clapping and cheering as their favorites made a pass by the judge. Huge cheering when the winners made their victory pass.
    I have seen this at reining competitions as well as each good move gets a round of applause and cheers. Makes it a lot more fun to watch!

At a local show, a mom felt sure that a trainer was whooping loudly to try to give someone else's daughter an advantage with the judge. Left a bad taste in her mouth for the sport.

That's how we gauge my trainer's happiness level with our round.

Good Round: Whole heartdedly clapping and the possibility of a whistle.

Bad Round: It looks like someone is forcing her to clap for something she doesn't want to clap for. It's basically a flap the hands together clap and no whooping or whistling.

I don't think clapping isn't tacky as long as you don't go overboard. I think it shows good sportsmanship. As far as influencing the judge I think they are smarter than that. That is why they are paid

I always appreciate a cheering section after a good round and I return the favor to others

It genuinely excites me when friends do well
    "The horse you get off is not the same as the horse you got on. It's your job to make sure he's better "
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...&id=1495740009
    ~*Dani*~

so many trainers have a distinctive "whoop" or clap. i recall trudytamposimaxwellglefke ..... she used to clap with her arms fully extended penquin-like and whoop like a crane. ( sorry trudy, but it IS distinctive) i do think that some lower level judges respond to the antics. it is not pretty when you see a BNT clapping and whistling away for the most mediocre of rounds, imo.

i always clap politely for an admirable trip, or for a super effort. a whoop has to be a spectacular round , just like using the word excellent.

a good round calls for a polite clap, a bad round gets maybe a golf clap. A barnmate with a great round gets a whoop from me and a loud clap.
    "to each his own..."

just a horse obsessed girl who finds blogging way more fun than being an adult...
    http://equinerainman274.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by copper1 View Post
    It is really kind of sad the lack of enthusiam demonstrated at hunter shows. A good performance deserves a reward from the spectators. I was at a big Arabian show this past weekend and in the main ring the fairly large crowd was really into the horses and there was much clapping and cheering as their favorites made a pass by the judge. Huge cheering when the winners made their victory pass.
    I have seen this at reining competitions as well as each good move gets a round of applause and cheers. Makes it a lot more fun to watch!
    Here, here!! I switched discplines to hunters from the Saddlebred world several years ago and it floored me at how unenthusiastic the crowd was. Now, I know the ASB folks tend to get a bit carried away but I am all for supporting each other when a good effort is made.
    Become a Posse and help keep kids on horses and off the streets.
    http://www.comptonjrposse.org/

I would imagine that for some trainers (I would hope more than the alternative) the whoop is not to influence the judge but to express genuine pleasure at a student doing well. "Doing well" may have different meanings for different people. If a certain student is working on getting changes and has had trouble with it in the past but nailed the changes and didn't get down the lines as well I have had trainers who would whoop because they know the personal satisfaction of that piece of the puzzle. To a spectator this may look like a trainer over celebrating an ok round but in reality it isn't.

I always appreciated clapping after a good round...both from my barnmates and spectators. I have also been that person getting clapped for because I made it into the ring and out of the ring without hitting the dirt.
    There are stars in the Southern sky and if ever you decide you should go there is a taste of time sweetened honey.

Quote Originally Posted by Figment View Post
    At a local show, a mom felt sure that a trainer was whooping loudly to try to give someone else's daughter an advantage with the judge. Left a bad taste in her mouth for the sport.
    By the time that round is over and the whooping begins, that judge has already scored the round, they are not stupid and they really don't look to see who clapped and who didn't before marking the card.

That Mom who thought the whooping was done to influence judging and was not a trainer acknowledging a good round from a client needs to get a life or change sports. That IS bad sportsmanship...thinking an enthusiastic response is an open attempt to infuence the judge or, if it was, it would do any good means she is never going to "get" this intricate sport.

Sorry, but sitting in silence after a good round IS rude. Sportsmanship demands appreciation of competitors that get it right. That goes double for a trainer who is not always so kind on a not so good round, or generous with praise at home most of the time.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

12th floor of the Acme building in a city that knows how to keep it's secrets.

[QUOTE=CBoylen;3352369 I appreciate friends and family who don't leave me wondering if I've somehow gone off course . [/QUOTE]

Not that every rider is going to get the message!!!
    You will not rise to the occasion, you will default to your level of training.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

I appreciate the show of enthusiasm and think it's in good taste to clap for a job well done.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Sometimes my barnmates and I are trainerless at the schooling shows (she'll be there for one day but not the other usually). We are each others support team and we try to be at the ring for applause and general comments. Even if there is one or two of us-we clap. Whooping is often done for certain riders as they totally deserve it - great round, personal accomplishment etc.

Hunters seems to get boring to the spectators and therefore the enthusiasm is lacking outside of barnmates--even then they aren't always paying attention or at the same ring to applaud. I know I've been in an under saddle class hearing barnmates being placed in over fences classes from the other ring - I will "clap" to myself but that's not the same thing

I like to watch the equitation derby at the one show we go to. There are some really nice riders and horses in that class and usually everyone watching will clap and even whoop for the best rounds regardless of who they ride with - it's very nice to see/hear the appreciation from fellow riders and even the non-horsey spectators.
    Lord Stanely, Lord Stanley - come back to Pittsburgh!!!
    http://www.chronicleofmyhorse.com/profile/2_tbs
    *** I LOVE PUIKA FAN CLUB***

Depends on the horse. We had a green bean at our barn who would start bucking every time we clapped. We stopped. :-)

Other than that, yep, I clap.
    ~ Citizens for a Kinder, Gentler COTH...our mantra: Be nice. ~

Oh, heck...I'm so pathetic I clap for EVERYTHING... good rounds, bad rounds that the rider "saved" or stayed on for, barnmates, people I know...I figure someone out there is as nervous as I always am, and just acknowledging they ARE out there is worth a clap. I even clap when placings are announced in a class I'm part of, and didn't pin!

I'm not sure why it's so verboten, but I'd be happy to see more engagement. After all, we do this for fun, and I don't care who you are, it's fun to be applauded. Plus, some of the ex-racers really like the attention ;-).