The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Sliced along cornet band...Another New Pic...looks odd

After an eventful morning, I went to bring the "big" boys in and immediately noticed that my precious angel was lame and had some blood around his inside heel/cornet band!!! I think he was either playing too rough or pestering his pal too much and the other horse got mad and acted out. Anyway, Adam is not normally a sissy, so I'm a little worried about his lameness (plus he's been resting this foot slightly, and it's a front one ) although the cut really doesn't seem very deep or serious. Later in the morning I let him graze around the barn and although he was cautious with the injured foot, he didn't let it bother him too much while grazing and didn't rest it while eating. I'm hoping the lameness is just from the ouchy cut, and not actually due to some sort of trauma to the soft tissue that may have happened causing the cut in the first place. ?

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...ost=good-times
    http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...ost=good-times

As you can probably see, the cut goes from the bulb of his inside heel, and follows the hairline all the way to the quarter. It seems deeper, with more of a "pocket" at the bulb of the heel. I haven't called the vet because I think he'll just tell me to clean it out regularly
    and keep it covered with some sort of bandage/wrap....which I'm doing. I have a pretty good idea of how to wrap it. Adam was kind enough to make sure I had some practice with this type of wrapping task this spring when he got a similar injury on another leg that needed to be "sealed" with a bandage so dirt and sand couldn't enter the bandage from the bottom or from above.

Sooo, anyone else seen a similar injury? Suggestions, ideas, thoughts? Quick, smooth recoveries I hope?
    Last edited by fivesocks; Jul. 15, 2008 at 09:46 PM.

Haven't seen something like that but I'd get a vet out ASAP if you horse is very lame. I wonder if that could be a big blowing abscess, or sign of some other very serious problem. You wouldn't want to develop laminitis on the other front hoof.

Mine had a similar injury, sliced his coronet band right along the hair line, though throw in a gouge to the hoof.
    He was lame too. I did call the vet, just to ease my mind.
    Vet gave me some goo he mixed up and wrapped it. I cleaned it everyday, hand grazed him while it dried, then rewrapped it. Lameness went away after the 2nd day IIRC. He was turned out after that, still wrapped and bell booted though.
    It's kind of a tricky place for an injury. You want to wrap it, but you've got to let air to it.
    My guy was fine, though we've been dealing with the gouge/crack it left in the hoof for nearly a year, but thank the hoof growing god, it's finally grown out.
    Jen Evans & DaBear

It looks to me like he stepped on himself. If he's very lame, it wouldn't hurt to call the vet, but you're right that he'll probably just have you wrap it and keep it dry and clean. A gram of bute twice a day for a few days might not hurt, either. If the hoof's not damaged, most likely it will heal up just fine, but it does seem to take longer when the coronet band's affected.

My horse does this on a regular basis if he's turned out without bell boots. There isn't much you can do for it, and it is pretty painful for them, especially if you ride them in sand/stone dust (so I wouldn't ride him until it is no longer sensitive). Don't rip off the flap... it will usually "glue" itself back together. Sometimes I wrap my horse's hoof when he does this... other times I don't... I just flush it out with water and betadine twice a day and apply some neosporin. The "goo" 2hsmommy is referring to was probably surgardine if I had to guess.

My horse had something like that several months ago. We think it may have been a gravel abscess. Either way, I had to wrap it, and keep it clean. Now it is growing out and looks so ugly halfway down his hoof, but it will go away eventually.

Default Slight update

Thanks for the reassuring comments

This evening I went into the pasture to retrieve a flymask and found a frighteningly large pool of blood on the ground by the gate. So the injury seems to have bled much more heavily than I ever thought. Also, when I removed the bandage from the cut this evening it looked worse. In the photos it looks like a clean, not very deep slice. Now is is more open looking. Plus - I don't have much experience to compare this injury with deep wounds that do a lot of draining - but this thing def seems to be draining a lot. Considering all that stuff I decided a vet would be necessary. (Of course by this time it was after office hours) The vet who came is actually a friend that lives down the road, so he didn't have all his goodies with him at the time, but will return tomorrow AM to give Adam a penicillin shot and a tetanus booster. He confirmed that there was nothing particularly exciting that can be done for the cut. He wants Adam turned out and free to move for circulation. He said the cut may hinder hoof growth in that area of the hoof forever I'm hoping he's wrong. He also said it may heal with proud flesh because of something to do with the lymphatic system being involved in the cut. (?) He wants it wrapped and cleaned frequently, with time to air out between wrappings. Just as I suspected

I've had similar things happen a couple of times

I just wanted to add that usually, the cut did affect hoof growth. Often, some sort of horizontal line (like a giant abcess) will grow down as the hoof grows. Once, on a smaller 'nick' type of injury, my mare developed a quarter crack. I've been fortunate to have no proud flesh and no permanent hoof issues.

Good luck!
    Y'all ain't right!

I don't think your horse looks like mine but I originally thought this wasn't to big of a deal http://pets.webshots.com/photo/29740...58815717axGZfK but what the vet explained was that the hoof would not grow normally out of the coronet band if I didn't have the foot resectioned. I took him to New Bolton where we did this- http://pets.webshots.com/photo/27924...58815717cntPFv

End result was this- http://pets.webshots.com/photo/29413...58815717Ftehns

He was on stall rest for a month and then turned out. He was never sore after we resectioned the foot and cut away the affect part of the foot. He is now growing another foot but I do have to fill in his foot with material when he is shod to keep him from stepping on the shoe and ripping it off because the foot has not grown down all the way.

Beastie, there was one other time when he nicked his cornet band or maybe had an abcess and it did grow down as an innocent little horizontal crack. If the current cut just produces a crack that grows down I'll be thrilled. I'm afraid the hoof is too messed up to grow normal hoof in that area Time will tell.

Good news though, he was def. less lame today!! He was turned out with his pony last night and the wrap stayed in place beautifully. (I was proud of myself) There was a decent amount of drainage and it seemed to bleed a bit overnight as well, as the gauze pad was def saturated.

Jleegriffith, that doesn't look good at all! But I'm glad your horse recovered well. In the first picture - in addition to the cut - is the hoof wall also cracked from the cornet downward and crunched inward?? I think that's what I'm seeing. Ouch!

Well, I can add that Mr. Studly stuck his foot in the fence and sliced the bulb of his heel from about where your horse's cut is. The cut was about 2 1/2" long at the coronet and pretty much looked like it seperated hoof from skin above. In addition to the slice at coronet, he had a big flap of skin hanging off the heel.
    I wrapped it religiously for a couple weeks (after the first few days I went to changing wrap every other day, BTW). Some of the flap reattached, and some of the skin died and had to be trimmed away. It left a fairly big scar on the heel, but only made a funkyline/gap when the hoof grew out. The hoof is normal now
    Y'all ain't right!

Yep, he sliced the top of the foot and also into the hoof wall. It was not deep just a straight slice across but it then started to peel back. I have no idea how he did it. I had ridden him and then turned him out. 1/2 later I was getting ready to leave the barn when I saw him walking lame and found that. He was standing eating hay the whole time so I actually think he stepped on himself and managed to do all that. It was very neat to watch the farrier at New Bolton work but I would have rather it not been my horse

I don't think I'd necessarily turn him out if it's still bleeding due to him moving around. You want this to heal as cleanly as possible so that the hoof growth with hopefully NOT be affected or as unaffected as possible. When my horse got a cut through his coronet band the vet actually put a cast on him to above the fetlock to prevent the area flexing. He had that for 3 weeks and then I still had to wrap it for a lonnnng time. I did not have any hoof deviations ever. I did turn mine out eventually but it was after the cast was off and he was on the road to healing.
    www.hogbackhillfarm.com

Default coronet band slice

My vet recommended using a narrow strip of Animalintex held in place with some vet wrap (and of course, some duct tape over the hoof part). I changed it daily and in 3 or 4 days, the slice on the coronary band was almost healed.
    Last edited by mtk9122; Jul. 18, 2008 at 06:50 AM.

I work on several horses that have had various coronary band injuries. Since this structure produces the horn of the hoof wall, if it is significantly damaged, you could wind up with a hoof that grows down with a scar or possibly does not have good laminar attachment. Can't tell from the pictures how deep the cut is. If it was my horse I would have a vet take a look at it immediately just to get a full medical assesment of the amount of damage and what sturctures are damaged.

I saw one horse that had it's heel bulb sliced nearly clean through from the ground up through the hoof wall and coronary band by stepping on a piece of sheetmetal. The vet sewed the heel bulb back together and had a farrier (not me) install a bar shoe.

Two weeks later I was at the farm working on a different horse. The vet came by to check out her sewing job. The hoof wall in the heel area about the last two inches going around the hoof toward the point of the heel below the coronary band was loose and flopping on top of the shoe. It looked pretty darned weired.

Since I was there with my "stuff", the vet asked me to put a fiberglass patch on the hoof to hold the heel in place. "What the heck, sure Doc". So I glued the heel together where it was cut and put a layer of fiberglass over the "seam". Didn't do anything to the shoe.

The new hoof growth came out with a permanent seam, but structurally the wall was in tact and the horse was returned to barefoot. Almost all of the back third of the outside of the hoof was sliced off from the ground up and hanging from the skin of the heel bulb. The vet was pretty danged handy with a needle. The other farrier did a great job with the bar shoe. All I did was superglue the back part of the heel to the quarter to keep it from flopping around. Not sure what I did made a difference but it was a great learning experience. I was just starting out at the time.

I was lucky to get to see the horse 6 months later and I was amazed at how it all healed up and the hoof grew out with no evidence other than a seam of scar horn growing down where the heel had been sliced through - sliced the bars too, almost to the frog.

Point is, I've seen a lot worse turn out pretty darned good. Still wouldn't hurt to get a vet to look your horse though.

Good luck.

Default Another Update

Just a little FYI, a vet did look at the injury. He wasn't my regular lg. animal vet, but a very experienced one nonetheless. Since he had to come back the following morning to do the penicillin shot and tetanus he saw the injury a second time when it was looking a little more 'open' like it does in the new pics.

VCT, it was only bleeding slightly, but it was draining pretty well. In a previous post I may have made it sound like the bleeding and the draining were both heavy and continuous. As of this morning there was only a very small amount of pink-ish coloration on the gauze pad from last night's bandage. My vet wanted him out and moving because he said it's very important for their circulation and he wants to encourage circulation to promote healing. I'm glad your horse healed nicely! It sounds like yours was a bit more serious than what I'm dealing with.

MTK, I googled the Animalintex pads. It says "poultice pad and wound dressing", but does that mean there is wound dressing (like antibiotic ointment?) built in the pad?? OR by "wound dressing" do they simply mean the pountice pad - with it's inherent poultice qualities - can dress wounds? I think I used one of those on a splint before and they were nifty, but I guess I didn't realize they could be used for open wounds. My vet did say to use nolvasan ointment or furazone ointment directly on the wound. Maybe I could put the recommended ointment on the cut, but instead of covering it with a simple gauze pad square I could cover it with the animalintex pad.

Tom, thanks for sharing you experience, it's good to hear people describe how ugly injuries turned out ok.

Anyway, here are some new pics. Have a gander.
    http://pets.webshots.com/photo/24554...pCB?vhost=pets
    http://pets.webshots.com/photo/21909...DnV?vhost=pets

I used non-stick Telfa pads under vet wrap on Mr. Studly's cut. You can even find long oes (I managed to get 7" Telfa pads from AU).
    I also used Eclipse Brand Wound Wash and Wound Healing Aid. That stuff is great! http://www.BeluMedX.com
    Y'all ain't right!

I haven't seen the photos, due to work firewalls. But, my mare gashed her coronary band on the top/front of her front hoof. The vet was called in, who basically cleaned it and gave antibiotics and bute. With in two weeks she was no longer lame and the wound has grown out nicely. However, lately the bottom front of her hoof broke off. She is not lame, but am waiting for more hoof to grow before riding her.

Panty liners or mini pads are great for wounds like that because they are shaped the same and are about the same length. Hold it on with some vet wrap.

I'd also recommend Banixx (www.banixx.com)... amazing stuff

Jingles!!!
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Pack it with Iodised salt and keep bandaged. The salt will prevent infection and stop any proud flesh from growing. Or instead of the salt use Active Manuka Honey.

It looks like a very clean wound - could he have cut it on wire or glass or any clenches risen on the opposite foot? Treads are usually so much more messy.