The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 315
  1. #101
    Join Date
    Jun. 17, 2008
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    149

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tini Sea Soldier View Post
    Wintec saddles.... hate'em.
    Haha guilty as charged. I show in my Wintec. But so far I only do breed Hunter Pleasure...where pretty much anything goes lol.
    ~*~
    Sarah



  2. #102
    Join Date
    Jul. 7, 2008
    Location
    Atlanta GA
    Posts
    20

    Default Pet Peeves in the show ring

    My rule of thumb ....go conservative, be noticed for ability and presentation! If you do your homework before you go to a show, you will stand out for riding, and a well presented horse.

    My pet peeve is an grey horse that has any yellow in the tail. It's called a show for a reason, bath your horse, wash the tail and an absolute MUST remove the stains.....

    Also...shavings in the tail!

    As a trainer my students represent me as I represent them!



  3. #103
    Join Date
    Jun. 15, 2004
    Posts
    1,327

    Default

    What not to wear (where's Clint and Stacey when you need them?)

    Poorly fitted tack and/or apparel that does not flatter a horse and rider.
    Saddles sitting up on the neck of the horse.
    Tall boots on little children.
    Shads on little children. The proportions are just frightening...who started this? If you need your nose wiped by Mommy you're too young for tails.
    Matchy-matchy outfits. All blue makes one look like an oompah loompah or a smurf, all brown makes you like a poo, all black--too goth. I think everything else has been covered.
    Nobody puts baby in a corner



  4. #104
    Join Date
    Sep. 11, 2003
    Location
    Nuevo Mexico
    Posts
    4,253

    Default

    Ok, someone please tell me: what on earth is a "hair bag"?



  5. #105
    Join Date
    Feb. 26, 2007
    Location
    Bronx, NY/Atlanta, GA/Fort Dodge, IA
    Posts
    3,371

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vandy View Post
    Ok, someone please tell me: what on earth is a "hair bag"?
    I think they mean show bow.
    Founder, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous
    Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.



  6. #106
    Join Date
    Apr. 29, 2006
    Posts
    3,427

    Default

    Good thing I read this! I never thought of the difference between a drug store hair and tack store hair net. Well - off to the tack store I go. Thanks for saving me from a certain show disaster.



  7. #107
    Join Date
    Sep. 21, 2000
    Location
    Pawlet, VT US
    Posts
    3,511

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pattnic View Post
    It's not traditional, and I just kind of hate laced reins altogether. For the most part, I am very traditional with my turnout.

    As War Admiral (I think it was her) said in another thread, having a laced rein for your snaffle rein is like screaming out that you don't know the difference between your snaffle and curb reins.

    Now, I will admit that I have used a laced rein for my snaffle rein, but that's because it was all I had at the time; I truly prefer plain reins, with one slightly wider for the snaffle rein.
    Out in field hunter land, the laced snaffle rein is very traditional. Or at least it used to be the standard 40 years ago.

    To pattnic, who objected to the laced snaffle rein, what do you have against tom thumb pelhams?
    madeline
    * What you release is what you teach * Don't be distracted by unwanted behavior* Whoever waits the longest is the teacher. Van Hargis



  8. #108
    Join Date
    Mar. 10, 2007
    Posts
    82

    Default

    1. Colored ANYTHING: ex. bright colored polos, saddle pads, bridles, helmets (esp. plastic ones w/ covers). Especially when matched together.
    2. Too tight/ too big pants: Come on people, no one wants to see your bodys every wrinkle, bump, and bone...also for the shorter/skinnier boys who think their big and tall so they wear huge pants and coats to make themselves feel better...no...just no.
    3. Black tack, Orange Tack: You are in the hunter ring...BROWN! BROWN! BROWN! Its not that hard to sit down and oil your tack (if its orange).
    4. Wintec: stay away. I had to ride in one of those saddles once. Worst experience of my life. You can find cheap, used leather saddles for bargain prices. My first saddle was a leather Crosby Prix de Nations. It was a mere $150 It was pretty dirty and had not been used in a while, but a little Cascade soap and Murphy's leather oil did the job.
    5. Glitter/ Ribbon/ Jewels: Unless you are under the age of 7, remember you are entering show ring, not a beauty pageant.
    6. Make-Up: I hate in the summer when you see it on people and its been half sweated off. Yuck!
    7. Brightly Striped Helmets: I love my GPA and did at one time (when it was the "new" thing) have a pretty navy, hunter green, and white stripe on it (my barns colors). When you have those subtle colors on it I don't mind, but when theres a giant pink or neon green sparkled stripe on one, i get sick.
    8. Black tallboots with brown tops: Not pretty.
    9. Non-Classic Hunt Coat colors: I love the navy, grey, brown, green, and even black...but YELLOW? yes i have seen YELLOW...CANARY YELLOW hunt coats at an "A" show? WHYYYYY?!?!?!?
    10. Bad or Un-done Hair: Come one people get a hair net, its not that hard.



  9. #109
    Join Date
    Feb. 6, 2000
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    12,657

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eqjumperz View Post
    8. Black tallboots with brown tops: Not pretty.
    .
    You may not think them pretty, but they are *quite* traditional.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

    ...just settin' on the Group W bench.



  10. #110
    Join Date
    Jun. 16, 2008
    Posts
    32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eqjumperz View Post
    1. Colored ANYTHING: ex. bright colored polos, saddle pads, bridles, helmets (esp. plastic ones w/ covers). Especially when matched together.
    2. Too tight/ too big pants: Come on people, no one wants to see your bodys every wrinkle, bump, and bone...also for the shorter/skinnier boys who think their big and tall so they wear huge pants and coats to make themselves feel better...no...just no.
    3. Black tack, Orange Tack: You are in the hunter ring...BROWN! BROWN! BROWN! Its not that hard to sit down and oil your tack (if its orange).
    4. Wintec: stay away. I had to ride in one of those saddles once. Worst experience of my life. You can find cheap, used leather saddles for bargain prices. My first saddle was a leather Crosby Prix de Nations. It was a mere $150 It was pretty dirty and had not been used in a while, but a little Cascade soap and Murphy's leather oil did the job.
    5. Glitter/ Ribbon/ Jewels: Unless you are under the age of 7, remember you are entering show ring, not a beauty pageant.
    6. Make-Up: I hate in the summer when you see it on people and its been half sweated off. Yuck!
    7. Brightly Striped Helmets: I love my GPA and did at one time (when it was the "new" thing) have a pretty navy, hunter green, and white stripe on it (my barns colors). When you have those subtle colors on it I don't mind, but when theres a giant pink or neon green sparkled stripe on one, i get sick.
    8. Black tallboots with brown tops: Not pretty.
    9. Non-Classic Hunt Coat colors: I love the navy, grey, brown, green, and even black...but YELLOW? yes i have seen YELLOW...CANARY YELLOW hunt coats at an "A" show? WHYYYYY?!?!?!?
    10. Bad or Un-done Hair: Come one people get a hair net, its not that hard.

    Your so right.

    1) Dirt boots and a Dirty Horse
    2) A badley done braid job
    3) Bright colored breeches and boots( yes. i have seen a person where sparkley rubber boots, it just killed me)
    4) I also hate it when a persons in the jumper ring and there trainers yelling at them, you can't even hear them because your so concentrated
    5) I have used a wintec before, they're okay but my leather saddle is SO much better
    6) Helmets that are differnt colors

    I don't get why people can't just be conservitive, it makes you look so neat and people will actually take you seriously



  11. #111
    Join Date
    May. 5, 2006
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    445

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chukkerchild View Post
    What is a 'show bow'?
    http://www.horsetackinternational.co...e-show-box.jpg

    http://www.horsetackinternational.co...with-charm.jpg

    Normally worn at the nape of one's neck, NOT tucked into a helmet. ew


    Another major thing with me is horse's manes that are cut straight across instead of pulled and when a horse's mane is braided incorrectly



  12. #112
    Join Date
    Jan. 27, 2007
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    282

    Default

    Aw I love tall boots with the brown on the top
    Equitation is the definition of Elegance
    Owner of one large and goofy Oldenburg and an adorable Dutch Warmblood



  13. #113
    Join Date
    Aug. 26, 2006
    Posts
    977

    Default

    I use dark pads and ear bonnetts for my grey , I guess I am a dork. I do Jumpers though!!!
    I raced as a Doctor Jumped as a King
    Just remember me as Tobias
    5/6/2000 - 12/25/2011



  14. #114
    Join Date
    Apr. 24, 2002
    Location
    Upper Peninsula, MI
    Posts
    1,730

    Default

    - Tippary helmets, they are shaped so weird and look like a bike helmet
    - Animal print anything
    - White polos in the eq ring on anything other than a grey horse
    - Solid hunter green coats (Olive coats are soo beautiful though)
    - Kids on horses still wearing paddock boots/garters. Time for tall boots
    - Tan crochet gloves in the show ring (not so bad if you're showing in the jumpers with a polo shirt, but I hate them with a hunt coat)
    - Orange tack
    - Helmet covers (except on a skull cap, like the eventers wear)
    - Colorful half pads
    - Light gray coat w/ beige breeches
    - Orange show shirts
    -Tami-

    [Paint It Black - "Kiddo"]



  15. #115
    Join Date
    May. 1, 2005
    Location
    Cupertino
    Posts
    941

    Default

    1. No hairnet/messy hair/scrunchy/braid hanging down
    2. Gloveless in any ring makes me cringe
    3. shirt and jacket but with the no collar and the shirt unbuttoned. I mean seriously?
    4. OK I'll take some heat for this one, but polo shirts at A rated shows.
    5. Saddle pads that look like they've been around for 10 years.

    and a side note to the BNT I saw go into the jumper ring at a local A rated show wearing a pink camo vest with a fur collar....WTF!?!

    Honestly to me, poor turnout seems like an insult to the judge.



  16. #116
    Join Date
    Nov. 14, 2007
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    824

    Default

    Two questions. I only occasionally show at some local shows. I'm old. My hair is short and wispy. So do I wear a hairnet or not? Certainly I've not got enough hair to do "hunter hair" (which I think looks ugly on most people by the way) and I think you'd see more hairnet than hair. So do I just try and tuck most of it up in the helmet or what?
    Secondly, I only have one helmet - a black schooling helmet, very informal type. If I can't afford some expensive helmet to show in, do I go 'as-is' or put one of the velvet covers on it that most of you so dispise?



  17. #117
    Join Date
    Jan. 10, 2008
    Location
    Western NY
    Posts
    5,871

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChampionMercedes View Post
    - Solid hunter green coats (Olive coats are soo beautiful though)
    Why's that? I like my hunter green coat with a light blue shirt...



  18. #118
    Ronald Friedson Guest

    Default

    Do some quick math,, the judge has 15 minutes to sort out 20 riders: Maybe 10 riders if a small class. So between 45 seconds and something under 2 minutes per rider. Clean, neat everything in its place is first. Second, try to do something to separate yourself, brow band, number of braids, color of outfit (staying within the rule book), dont go to far from your local areas style, but remember the word is showing. And yes, a big smile (not a silly grin) is always number one. By the way, take a few minutes and actually read the rulebook, it is very, very loose about what you can wear: Most trainer are far more conservative than what the books allows. Just dont get clown like. But using a pale grey coat if the world around you is dark grey and navy is a good thing, etc.



  19. #119
    Join Date
    May. 2, 2006
    Location
    Chicagoland
    Posts
    1,761

    Default

    I know someone said this...

    I too am very irritated by the fact that the lady on the tack store hairnet package is wearing a show bow. WHY???



  20. #120
    Join Date
    Mar. 30, 2001
    Location
    MD, USA
    Posts
    4,822

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    Two questions. I only occasionally show at some local shows. I'm old. My hair is short and wispy. So do I wear a hairnet or not? Certainly I've not got enough hair to do "hunter hair" (which I think looks ugly on most people by the way) and I think you'd see more hairnet than hair. So do I just try and tuck most of it up in the helmet or what?
    Secondly, I only have one helmet - a black schooling helmet, very informal type. If I can't afford some expensive helmet to show in, do I go 'as-is' or put one of the velvet covers on it that most of you so dispise?
    I have short hair too. I just use two hairnets and put them into a semblance of hunter hair. Yes, there's more hairnet than hair, but no one can see unless they're right up next to you. I don't have the hairnet 1/2 way down the ears (that would be more obvious), but it does cover the top. It's close enough for distance viewing!

    Is your helmet black velvet? If so, it's fine. If it's one of the plastic schooling helmets, I'd look into a new one for showing. I like to have two helmets anyway. That way, I have a spare in case I take a tumble, and my show helmet doesn't get that nasty helmet stink that develops from wearing it every day! You don't have to go with an expensive GPA or Charles Owen. Troxel and International make some relatively inexpensive black velvet helmets, and International (IRH) has some decent GPA and Charles Owen GR8 knock offs.



Similar Threads

  1. what to wear
    By colorfan in forum Dressage
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: May. 26, 2011, 03:00 PM
  2. What to wear?
    By I<3Sleepy in forum Eventing
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Feb. 24, 2011, 08:13 AM
  3. Replies: 42
    Last Post: Apr. 23, 2009, 06:04 PM
  4. What to wear?
    By shawneeAcres in forum Driving
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: Mar. 20, 2009, 12:43 AM
  5. What to wear?
    By Summies182 in forum Eventing
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: Jan. 3, 2009, 05:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •