The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Princess View Post
    Just wondered why you don't like white shirts? I find them to be so classic and clean.
    It's just a personal thing for me - I hate stark white. Don't know why, but I won't wear a white shirt under my hunt coat. Off-white or cream, yes, but not white-white. This is especially weird because I will white for everyday stuff (white shirt to work, out with friends, etc), but I just can't do it under a hunt coat.

Unless I'm competing in dressage, that is! (though even then I prefer cream)

I have no problem with other people wearing them, and it does look crisp and clean - I just can't do it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Princess View Post
    What I don't like:

-Light grey coats, light brown/tan coats
    -Socks that stick out above boots
    -Skin tight breeches
    -Dark show shirts
    -Show bows
    -the huge gigantic bows that kids wear. A small little ribbon around each pigtail is fine, but the huge ones are just a distraction.
    You reminded of another things I can't stand - grey coats with beige breeches!
    Founder, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous
    Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

Quote Originally Posted by Coreene View Post
    Camel toe
    Muffin top
    VPL
    OMG, Coreen! Your "level" designation says it ALL!!!

Yes, yes, and yes!

I actually went out and bought new breeches before my last show (a little schooling show at that!) because I had gained a little bit of weight, and I was paranoid about these!
    Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

I prefer a traditional turn out, but don't mind a pretty colored shirt or light grey, brown, or blue jacket. As a matter of fact, I own a few and love them. But honestly, I could care less what others are wearing or what trend the youngsters are sporting this week. Variety is the spice of life and frankly it's boring when everyone looks and does the same thing. I'm a clothes 'horse' and love trying new things and reading up on the latest fashions, whether it be in regular life or in the horse world.

I'm much more concerned about how the horse is turned out and cared for.....they after all are the stars of our sport.

Quote Originally Posted by pattnic View Post
    But should your horse be punished for you being a dipsh*t? Red ribbons are fine by me.

Things I HATE:

*Little munchkins in tall boots
    *White shirts (just my personal thing)
    *Big bows on kids in tall boots
    *Raised reins - I *HATE* they way they drape!
    *Actually, I don't like laced reins much either (so I generally only use them for show)
    *Tom Thumb pelhams
    *Too-big browbands
    *Loose straps
    *Light brown/tan coats with beige breeches
    *Laced snaffle rein on pelham/double bridle
    *Dirty horses
    *Dirty boots
    *Too-short boots
    *Ribbon belts

As an aside, someone mentioned someone who was too big for their horse... what do you mean by "too big"? What defines "too big" for a horse in general?

Because one of the other things I hate is:

*Little women/girls/whatevers on warmbloods that are way too big for them! (SO many people seem to think that they need a HUGE horse)
    why does a laced snaffle rein on a pellham bug you?
    "to each his own..."

just a horse obsessed girl who finds blogging way more fun than being an adult...
    http://equinerainman274.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by trey09 View Post
    Actually lately I've seen a lot of people school in baby-ish blue TS breeches. They really don't look half bad.

I like the french blue tailoreds. Obviously not in the show ring, or schooling at a show but for home they are cute. I'm not a fan of the purples, ports, etc that TS has been coming out with but the expressos, mochas, and darker blues are nice for home =)

Quote Originally Posted by SaturdayNightLive View Post
    Colored hair nets (Pink? Seriously?)
    They make coloured hairnets? Im only asking because my hair changes colour from red to purple to green (dont have a herat attack, Im not a hunter rider) and I would like a hairnet to match my hair, instead of using my blonde one.

Wintec saddles.... hate'em.

Default Colored Hairnets

Quote Originally Posted by Bobthehorse View Post
    They make coloured hairnets? Im only asking because my hair changes colour from red to purple to green (dont have a herat attack, Im not a hunter rider) and I would like a hairnet to match my hair, instead of using my blonde one.
    I've seen them too. Not sure if people die them or buy them somewhere...

Quote Originally Posted by Tini Sea Soldier View Post
    Wintec saddles.... hate'em.
    ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh YES!! Such a pet peeve!!
    "to each his own..."

just a horse obsessed girl who finds blogging way more fun than being an adult...
    http://equinerainman274.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by jewll27 View Post
    why does a laced snaffle rein on a pellham bug you?
    It's not traditional, and I just kind of hate laced reins altogether. For the most part, I am very traditional with my turnout.

As War Admiral (I think it was her) said in another thread, having a laced rein for your snaffle rein is like screaming out that you don't know the difference between your snaffle and curb reins.

Now, I will admit that I have used a laced rein for my snaffle rein, but that's because it was all I had at the time; I truly prefer plain reins, with one slightly wider for the snaffle rein.

Quote Originally Posted by chawley View Post
    I prefer a traditional turn out, but don't mind a pretty colored shirt or light grey, brown, or blue jacket. As a matter of fact, I own a few and love them. But honestly, I could care less what others are wearing or what trend the youngsters are sporting this week. Variety is the spice of life and frankly it's boring when everyone looks and does the same thing. I'm a clothes 'horse' and love trying new things and reading up on the latest fashions, whether it be in regular life or in the horse world.

I'm much more concerned about how the horse is turned out and cared for.....they after all are the stars of our sport.
    agreed! i LOVE my huntcoat, which happens to be a lovely shade of dark eggplant with very subtle pinstripes. i switch between a tan shirt and a white shirt under it, and i think it looks really lovely. it fits me perfectly, and the color compliments just about any color horse you can think of. my coach actually picked it out for me to wear in equitation, and i'd personally rather wear my "purple" coat than a navy one anyday. i've never gotten anything other than compliments on it.

I cant agree more witht the plastic helmet thing with the covers. Gag me now.

-anything baby p[ink, eww. i just hate the colour

sparkled bell boots are death

-animal print saddlepads

- the brown charles owen GR8 with the leopard print stripe.... does CO actually think people would buy this.

- hair bags to. omg, so so so ugly.

braided tail at a schooling show... you knows its a crappy job too.

wow im pretty picky. i agree a lot with whats already said
    Courage. Confidence. Passion.

eww yes a big no no for the wintec saddles!

wanglish people alll together

plastic helmets with covers (ok for sallys for leadline schooling show, but thats it!)

SHORT SLEEVE show shirts, ew Ew EWW

skinny horses

bright color show shirts, like the bright bright aqua color

un matching tack

orang tack

square all purpose pads, or colored pads

large not strait braids

boots that are too big like around the calf

riders that sit on their horses and slouch for like 5 hours waiting for their class/watching.. im sure your horse would like a nap

extremely tight, light tan schooling tights with tall boots.. like the devon aire pants

fake tails not put in properly

okay i think thats it... for now

oh yes and the hair bags or whatever, is it really that hard to put your hair in a hairnet?!?!?!? comeon people

oh yes and please put it inyour hair net neatly.. a few pins might help

It's not traditional, and I just kind of hate laced reins altogether. For the most part, I am very traditional with my turnout.

As War Admiral (I think it was her) said in another thread, having a laced rein for your snaffle rein is like screaming out that you don't know the difference between your snaffle and curb reins.

Now, I will admit that I have used a laced rein for my snaffle rein, but that's because it was all I had at the time; I truly prefer plain reins, with one slightly wider for the snaffle rein.
    Does it make any difference if it is a laced rein vs. a wider plain rein since both would be different from the thin curb rein anyway so War Admirals argument would fall through I think the reason it is "traditional" to have plain reins with a double bridle (or pelham) is to have less bulk in your hands. For that matter, everyone should be riding in plain reins, flat cavesons, and no saddle pads because it is "traditional". I don't usually ride in a pelham, but when I do I use laced reins for the snaffle rein because I want better grip (the reason they where developed after plain reins in the first place) which is probably why most do it.

I am going to add to the list:
    Ribbon belts-They just look silly with breeches
    I agree with the orange tack
    Saddle pads in the jumpers that are not primarily white (colored trim and binding is ok)
    Colored jumping boots at shows other than brown, black, and maybe white (I have a white pair of eskadrons that I just can't get myself to use)

It's not traditional,
    Oh, yes it is.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Quote Originally Posted by MTshowjumper View Post
    Does it make any difference if it is a laced rein vs. a wider plain rein since both would be different from the thin curb rein anyway so War Admirals argument would fall through I think the reason it is "traditional" to have plain reins with a double bridle (or pelham) is to have less bulk in your hands. For that matter, everyone should be riding in plain reins, flat cavesons, and no saddle pads because it is "traditional". I don't usually ride in a pelham, but when I do I use laced reins for the snaffle rein because I want better grip (the reason they where developed after plain reins in the first place) which is probably why most do it.
    Ahhh, but the snaffle rein should only be about 1/8" to 1/4" wider - so it's not like "screaming" the way having a laced rein is. As for the more grip, I think this is also why rubber-lined (plain/flat) reins were invented!

I'm a fan of less bulk - I have little hands. I also will ride without a saddle pad at some shows. And I wish I had a flat bridle!

Anyway, these are just my personal preferences!

Quote Originally Posted by eqrider1234 View Post

fake tails not put in properly
    Fake tails altogether.
    For some reason, they really creep me out.
    They *look* fake.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Quote Originally Posted by caradino View Post
    agreed! i LOVE my huntcoat, which happens to be a lovely shade of dark eggplant with very subtle pinstripes. i switch between a tan shirt and a white shirt under it, and i think it looks really lovely. it fits me perfectly, and the color compliments just about any color horse you can think of. my coach actually picked it out for me to wear in equitation, and i'd personally rather wear my "purple" coat than a navy one anyday. i've never gotten anything other than compliments on it.
    An eggplant coat? That sounds interesting. I'd love to see a picture of one. It probably looks like navy from afar.

An eggplant coat? That sounds interesting. I'd love to see a picture of one. It probably looks like navy from afar.
    http://photos-f.ak.facebook.com/phot...251917_974.jpg

here is a picture of me in my eggplant coat... i think looks nice with the little grey mare