The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by smurk03 View Post
    This thread cracks me up bc you guys would faint at what you see in a breed show "hunter ring." Gobs of makeup is only the beginning lol. But I was confused by this:

"Stock pins in the hunter ring."

That's the pin the goes on the ratcatcher. I thought you were supposed to wear one (I have a pretty basic, bit shaped one)? Or have I been in hunter pleasure rings for too long?
    Most have stopped wearing the stock pins on the ratcatcher. It's actually "banned" in IHSA. Most either go plain or have it monogrammed.

I don't wear it anymore, but all these comments about stock pins desperately makes me want to wear mine at my horse show this weekend, just to irritate the fashion police.
    "It is not necessary for you to let everyone know everything about you. In fact, it is probably wise that you don't. There are some things that you need only discuss with God."

Big Bay Mare said "I hate yellow shirts" at least i will know the comment I am getting when entering the ring I love yellow ...

Quote Originally Posted by SaturdayNightLive View Post
    Things that drive me crazy:
    Show bows
    Boots that don't fit properly
    Badly/improperly done hunter hair
    Blue helmets
    Colored saddle pads (except on ponies)
    Colored polo wraps (other than black or white, also except on ponies)
    Lack of belt
    Lack of gloves
    Red/ orange tack
    Disco spurs
    Rhinestoned tack (so 2003!)
    Colored/strangely shaped crops
    Glitter. On anything.
    Colored hair nets (Pink? Seriously?)

As you can tell, I'm pretty conservative when it comes to fashion. I am definitely of the opinion that classic is correct, even in the schooling ring.
    Agree 100%. Also belts that aren't leather. I saw a junior at Devon showing with a pink ribbon belt.
    Theater Majors only: Lead swap, lead swap, wherefore art thou, lead swap?
    http://www.youtube.com/user/CraziiPonii

I just hate hate hate panty lines. Its not heard to weaar undies that dont show! I also agree with the too tight pants! I hate to see peoples fat lumps..make me want to barf. Im not skinny..at all, but wearing pants that fit isnt hard to do.
    I tied a tiny ribbon in the taIl of one of my horses. He got run into two times in the schooling ring, one time knocked him to the ground..from behind. if people were close enought to see the tiny ribbon..they were too close. I am the reason the jumpers can no longer school with the rest of the group at this one show.

Quote Originally Posted by kitsunegari View Post
    Most of those things must be what people wear schooling eh? I couldn't imagine someone using colored saddle pads and polo's in the show ring.
    i've seen it before, the most horrible combinations

People are talking about the ribbons on horse's tails and I don't really understand what that is/what the point of it is. Can anyone clear it up for me? I've just never heard of it before!

I wear one of my grandmother's pins in my collar. It is my good luck charm, and reminds me that my grandma loved horses and supported me.

I admit I have done the show bow before I knew that it was such a faux pas. Now I flip it in the helmet. I dont' have the hunter hair done yet.

Quote Originally Posted by abby229 View Post
    People are talking about the ribbons on horse's tails and I don't really understand what that is/what the point of it is. Can anyone clear it up for me? I've just never heard of it before!
    I'm not sure what the origin is, but a red ribbon in a horse's tail is supposed to signify that that horse kicks. A green ribbon means the horse is green. I am of the opinion that such things shouldn't be necessary. If you can't control your horse, you don't belong at the show in the first place.
    "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
    -George Morris

I'm not sure what the origin is, but a red ribbon in a horse's tail is supposed to signify that that horse kicks. A green ribbon means the horse is green. I am of the opinion that such things shouldn't be necessary. If you can't control your horse, you don't belong at the show in the first place.
    No; but it's not necessarily the horse wearing the ribbon that's out of control.
    It's the moron that rides up that horse's butt and gets kicked.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghazzu View Post
    No; but it's not necessarily the horse wearing the ribbon that's out of control.
    It's the moron that rides up that horse's butt and gets kicked.
    True, but if you ride up any horse's butt you deserved to be kicked. Common courtesy should not require a brightly colored reminder.
    "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
    -George Morris

Quote Originally Posted by worth_the_wait08 View Post
    When people go into the show ring with a red bow tied in their horse's tail. I'm not talking the schooling ring or the beginner ring, that I understand because the little munchkins don't know how to steer, but in a hunter under saddle with mostly adults? If you're getting close enough to a strange horse's butt to get kicked when you're a more advanced rider, than it's your fault if you get kicked, IMHO
    But should your horse be punished for you being a dipsh*t? Red ribbons are fine by me.

Things I HATE:

*Little munchkins in tall boots
    *White shirts (just my personal thing)
    *Big bows on kids in tall boots
    *Raised reins - I *HATE* they way they drape!
    *Actually, I don't like laced reins much either (so I generally only use them for show)
    *Tom Thumb pelhams
    *Too-big browbands
    *Loose straps
    *Light brown/tan coats with beige breeches
    *Laced snaffle rein on pelham/double bridle
    *Dirty horses
    *Dirty boots
    *Too-short boots
    *Ribbon belts

As an aside, someone mentioned someone who was too big for their horse... what do you mean by "too big"? What defines "too big" for a horse in general?

Because one of the other things I hate is:

*Little women/girls/whatevers on warmbloods that are way too big for them! (SO many people seem to think that they need a HUGE horse)
    Founder, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous
    Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

Thanks!

True, but if you ride up any horse's butt you deserved to be kicked. Common courtesy should not require a brightly colored reminder.
    All of these things, in addition to the stock pin thing, originate in the hunt field, where I think it is absolutely a good visual reminder. Other than red and green, I can't remember what all the other ribbon colors are (there are more!). Unfortunately in the ring, lots of people notice the horse that kicks, but not as many notice or blame the person who got too close. When I actually did flat classes with my gelding he often wore one. That way everyone, including the judge, knew that I was trying to avoid others and give a fair warning up front, and obviously someone else wasn't navigating the ring or watching as they should.

As for the stock pin, I agree it has no real functional use in the hunter ring, and the idea of it that close to my throat always gave me the heebie jeebies when I was younger. When a pin is actually worn on a stock tie rather than a ratcatcher, it's lower down toward your clavicles. And it actually has a use! Lots of people have had to use their stock tie and pin on an injury out in the field.
    Gentleman J - "Junior" - My been-there, done-that jumper

Send Your Love - "Serena" - Aug 10th 2009, Rest in Peace

My peeves:

Men/boys who walk around the show grounds with tall boot socks and sneakers......just leave your boots on guys. Now, on women/girls this does not bother me.

Chubby girls/tweens who still wear paddocks and garters. No sausage legs folks. If your kid is remotely going into puberty, needs a training bra, I dont care if she is just 9, buy her tall boots and pleeese, no braids and bows. Cuteness factor ends at at 8.

Faded black helmets that are now brown......so tacky.

Tack that is not clean

Dirty boots going in to the show ring

Wiskers on horsies, hairy/dirty ears, unkept bridle path, and long manes.

just to name a few...........

HATE the showbows! I also HATE seeing pelhams in the pleasure classes. But these are usually local show sins.

What really irks me are the riders at the A shows who ride with the following:
    Twisted reins or stirrup leathers
    Pelham reins held incorrectly (and don't even get me started on people who use 2 laced reins).
    Stirrup leathers that are so long they hang a foot below the saddle. Buy shorter stirrups or trim the excess off!
    Saddles and saddle pads that have slipped back or forward. Get off and adjust if you notice it's moving around.
    Chin straps on juniors that flap in the breeze (although I'll admit I was guilty as sin when I was a kid in a clear harness unapproved back in the day). It's an ASTM approved helmet, wear it so it will actually work.
    Shirt sleeves that are too short so there's a gap between your glove and jacket cuff.
    Juniors and Ammies who think it's ok to skip the gloves altogether in their hunter rounds or think it's acceptable to ditch the collar and open the top 3 shirt buttons when the judge waives jackets on hot days.

Ok I think I'm done!

Screw what NOT to wear....what TO wear!

http://picasaweb.google.com/lecobb8/...36086248579314

And that's what happens when you school in the blazing heat with your shirt collar turned down, realize you're late for your class, and throw the jacket on. Rule #1: remember to turn collar back up and put choker on...

What is a 'show bow'?

My pet peeves:
    Matching ear hats and saddle pads in anything but black or white
    Ridiculous over coordination (blue gloves, blue ear hat, blue polos, blue pad)
    Dirty horses
    Tilted helmets (this happens to me, its my pet peeve :P)
    Teeny tiny people on gigantic warmbloods they cant get their legs around, who snark at me because my horse is 15'2. Maybe it just hurts my feelings more than anything.
    "Disapproval of the way other people run their businesses and treat their horses is the meat and drink of the hunter-jumper industry."
    Working Student Blog
    Current Blog

Quote Originally Posted by pattnic View Post
    But should your horse be punished for you being a dipsh*t? Red ribbons are fine by me.

Things I HATE:

*Little munchkins in tall boots
    *White shirts (just my personal thing)
    *Big bows on kids in tall boots
    *Raised reins - I *HATE* they way they drape!
    *Actually, I don't like laced reins much either (so I generally only use them for show)
    *Tom Thumb pelhams
    *Too-big browbands
    *Loose straps
    *Light brown/tan coats with beige breeches
    *Laced snaffle rein on pelham/double bridle
    *Dirty horses
    *Dirty boots
    *Too-short boots
    *Ribbon belts

Just wondered why you don't like white shirts? I find them to be so classic and clean. I have a white shirt and a light pink shirt that I switch between.

I like things to be classic and clean.

What I don't like:

-Light grey coats, light brown/tan coats
    -Socks that stick out above boots
    -Skin tight breeches
    -Dark show shirts
    -Show bows
    -the huge gigantic bows that kids wear. A small little ribbon around each pigtail is fine, but the huge ones are just a distraction.
    Worry, doubt, fear and despair are the enemies which slowly bring us down to the ground and turn us to dust before we die.

~ Douglas MacArthur

Camel toe
    Muffin top
    VPL
    EDDIE WOULD GO