The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Bay Mare View Post
    Oh I never said that I could pull off the hunter hair.. I too have very fine, choppy layered hair that cannot be manuevered into hunter hair without a million bobbypins, of which i refuse to use.

But I still see nothing wrong with it.
    If you're Betty Oare you can get away without a hairnet with that hairnet, but she's Betty Oare! (And I mean that in a good way!)

A little hard to see:
    http://www.ocalastyle.com/styleadmin...07-hits-v3.jpg
    Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will. - Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by J. Turner View Post
    If you're Betty Oare you can get away without a hairnet with that hairnet, but she's Betty Oare! (And I mean that in a good way!)

A little hard to see:
    http://www.ocalastyle.com/styleadmin...07-hits-v3.jpg
    Is that a grey coat? It looks like a grey coat on my monitor. And I think it looks fine with those breeches.

Quote Originally Posted by Madeline View Post
    I didn't think that the original proposer of the hunter-to-eventing transition was worried about the dressage phase. Or show jumping, either.

Any hunter who knows basic good riding (some dont, but some eventers dont either) will only have to take little while to re-adjust, especially in the lower levels. I define a hunter with good basic riding to know how to frame up a horse from back to front, not front to back, has developed a proper seat without stirrups, can achieve & maintane proper impulsion, and jump safetly and effficively around a course with jumps your horse hasn't seen. Any good rider should be able to do this regardless of what sport they're in. Only the details need to change- height of horses poll, more collected paces, bolder pace around a course, more open hip angle, and more defensive rather then passive position to jumps.

can we please get back to the original thread subject? this argument is age old, and i cant see it being resolved any time soon.

Quote Originally Posted by LookinSouth View Post
    Yup those are respectable scores. But come on over to the very competitive Area I and I think you will soon learn what I'm talking about. You need to be quite solid in Dressage AND have a mount that's going to be competitive if you plan on winning.

Any experienced hunter rider is a little different than "ANY hunter rider" which is the statement I had a problem with.
    I said any GOOD hunter rider

Big difference.

ardnasela Guest

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Bay Mare View Post
    Stock pins in the hunter ring.
    Aw, man! Why? I love my stock pin! It’s this small “gold” horse …and I love wearing it, when I can find it…

Quote Originally Posted by CraziiPonii View Post
    Agree 100%. Also belts that aren't leather. I saw a junior at Devon showing with a pink ribbon belt.
    Again, aw man, I love my hot pink and zebra (yea, zebra! it actually looks really cool) ribbon belt! I went to a show where they were selling them and designed it myself, and i lovvee it! Although I do have a rule, I only wear it when I am wearing a jacket, so it’s not too distracting or in-your-face, because it is pretty colorful!

Quote Originally Posted by Tini Sea Soldier View Post
    Wintec saddles.... hate'em.
    Yes, I personally do not like riding in most wintec saddles or seeing them, especially the ones that are not taken care of properly and look cracked and cheap. However, I rode a pony for a friend once and she owns a wintec (hey, not everyone can afford those nicer saddles!). She takes great care of it and it fits and looks great on her pony…and it was actually comfortable! So I have to say, just because they are not as nice and expensive, doesn’t mean they can’t look as good on your horse! The brand is not what matters to me, it is how the tack fits and looks on the horse. Wintec just happens to be a generally ugly brand…

Some of my peeves:
    -“bling” allll everywhere- bridle, spurs, gloves, etc
    -Short sleeve show shirts, especially when jackets have been excused. they look immature to me for some reason
    -Non-matching tack…I hate it when people have like an orange saddle and then a nice dark brown bridle, it doesn’t look right
    -dirty horses, dirty tack, messy rider. You don’t have to look perfect, but it would be nice if you looked like you put some effort into taking care of your horse and putting yourself together for the show
    -people who take their pet peeves to an extreme level…where they begin to look down on riders who commit these “fashion crimes.” Like many people have said, as long as the rider has a good attitude, takes good care of their horse and rides well, it doesn’t really matter what they wear. I have my pet peeves and have enjoyed sharing them and reading yours…happy showing!! =)

Quote Originally Posted by ardnasela View Post
    Some of my peeves:

-Short sleeve show shirts, especially when jackets have been excused. they look immature to me for some reason
    Hmm - would climate make a difference on the view that the short-sleeves are immature? Or it is just that short-sleeves look less polished and put together?

ardnasela Guest

Quote Originally Posted by lesyl View Post
    Hmm - would climate make a difference on the view that the short-sleeves are immature? Or it is just that short-sleeves look less polished and put together?
    yes, that is a better way of putting it. "immature" was not the right word. "less put together" describes it better

--People who don't finish their courtesy circles (unless it's a course where you're asked to leave at a walk). IMO, you should end just as you started--pretty and polished and showing off your horse. They called it SHOWing for a reason!
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyPony View Post
    In all my years of riding, gravity is the one thing that has never failed on me!

Quote Originally Posted by lesyl View Post
    I have lived in and shown in FL my entire life, and I have never ever shown in and do not even own a short sleeved or sleeveless show shirt. It doesn't look as professional,plus the salt and sweat on the sleeveless shirts will deteriorate the shirt.

I have shown at schooling shows in a polo shirt, but never a short sleeved show shirt.
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

Not to mention what sweat does to the coat lining - yuk!

Coat lining was what I meant to say, was in a rush and said shirt. But yes, it will deteriorate the coat lining much faster wearing sleeveless shirts. My trainer when I was a kid absolutely forbade any of us from wearing them or short sleeves. Even with a coat on, you can tell because if your clothes fit correctly there should be a small amount of shirt cuff showing, esp when jumping.
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

Quote Originally Posted by Ethan & Ella's Mom View Post
    My biggest pet peeves at shows

People who show in sunglasses (unless medically needed)
    New tack that has not been oiled
    Not wearing gloves (I notice it right away when looking at horse show pictures)
    Shavings or hay in a tail or mane (especially when they are braided)
    Boots on horses in random medal/eq classes-putting boots on a horse does not make them an equitation horse nor does it make you an eq rider
    Shorts and paddock boots-big no no
    Chin straps that are too loose
    I don't know about you, but I'd prefer to protect my eyes. It's awful hard to find a distance to a jump if the old eyeballs have been irreparably damaged by sun. As far as I'm concerned it's a "medical necessity." So I will continue wear my sunglasses whenever I am riding outside and not give a damn about what the fashion police think.

Default Red ratcatchers

Red shirts - I think they look AWFUL. And I heard about someone who wore one at a show and the judge refused to pin her.

Here are two web sites showing hunter hair. Once actually shows a step by step process.

http://equineink.wordpress.com/2008/...e-hunter-hair/
    http://entertainment.webshots.com/album/348919249MqEbHs
    The essential joy of being with horses is that it brings us in contact with the rare elements of grace, beauty, spirit, and fire. ~Sharon Ralls Lemon

Quote Originally Posted by Jaegermonster View Post
    I have lived in and shown in FL my entire life, and I have never ever shown in and do not even own a short sleeved or sleeveless show shirt. It doesn't look as professional,plus the salt and sweat on the sleeveless shirts will deteriorate the shirt.

I have shown at schooling shows in a polo shirt, but never a short sleeved show shirt.
    OK that makes sense. I don't show much, and rarely in hunters. I can see what you mean about not only preserving the coat and lining, but also in presenting a polished ride and rider.

When it is hot enough to waive coats, having the extra layer of shirt sleeves protects the arms from sunburn and soaks up the sweat! :-)

bump

Socks that show
    Brown jackets, helmets, boots UGH
    Blue Helmets
    Lack of Belt
    Lack of Gloves
    Fly Away Hairs
    Sunglasses
    Spurs in the wrong hands (or feet )
    Dirty tack and horses
    GIANT saddle pads
    Braids on anyone who can tie their own shows lol
    Tall Boots that are dirty (SERIOUSLY!)
    Panty Lines
    Clothes that don't fit
    Short Sleeves/Sleeveless
    Paddock Boots that don't match the Half Chaps (Brown on Black vice versa)
    Black Saddle Brown Bridle ARG this happens sooo much on the local circuit around here
    Attack life it's going to kill you anyways.

wow you guys would have so much fun coming outto some of the shows in my area, when a certain barn pulls in I just die, most of their riders show up like this:
    Dirty ponies
    Braids the size of a golf ball on good days, they are ussually the size of a tennis ball and all done in elastics and flaling out
    plastic helmets with ill fitting helmets
    hair everywhere
    crash vests
    boots that dont fit
    half chaps and paddock boots
    green jackets (like ugly green)
    flourescent show shirts

:|

as for my pet peeves:
    -Crash vest expecially in the hunters, in the jumpers i can live with them but in the hunters.... no way!
    -crappy hunter hair (in those stupid little bun nets or w/e)
    -stock pins
    -bridles with 'gold' padding
    -orange tack
    -crappy braids (mane and tail)
    -short field boots
    -skin tight breeches
    -breeches that are so baggy you can't even see the riders actual leg
    -overly matched accessories (I remember dying when a girl showed up with hot pink bell boots, hot pink open fronts, a hot pink saddle pad, a hot pink half pad, a hot pink polo, a hot pink fuzzy and a hot pink bonnet!!!!)
    -coloured crops (blue, hunter green etc.) those are fined for schooling (I personally have a custom coloured one, but it stays far away from the show ring)
    -anything neon
    -dirty horses
    -poop on the horses legs (I have a horse prone to doing this but thats what water, baby wipes, sponges and clothes are for....)
    -Green show jackets
    -Ugly beaten up helmets
    -Helmet covers
    -Plastic helmets
    -Standing martingales in the jumper ring!
    -Black tack
    -Wintec saddles
    -Bridles with the flash loop in the hutner ring
    -full seat breeches in the hunter ring
    -reins with the stoppes in the hunter ring
    -rubber reins in the hunter ring
    -loose rings in the hunters

Here are some interesting sightings I have made:
    1. A man enters warm up ring for a hunter show, white helmet, very short brown boots, black breeches, white show shirt black show jackets, black dressage saddle, black bridle with flash attachment, white square saddle pad death grip..... oh and the worst part was that his poor horribley fashioned horse was my horses half brother. Lets just say I didnt tell that fact to any one at that show.
    2. Eventers show up for a hunter show, deck out in: Ccrash vests, plastic helmets, jumper bridles either with flashes or figure eights, black tack

and there are so many more i am just way to tired to type them all out

I have a newbie student that went to a tack store who's owner knows me. He asked them for a size 36 white breech, the owner of the store marched up and demanded to know who he trained with, when he allowed that he was beginning lessons she replied " you earn white breeches, and let your trainer know that you are advised ".
    When he showed up today for his lesson I simply asked him to turn around and show me his butt, it looked fine, in fact quite nice. I told him that if he choose to wear the britches of a grand prix rider then he must be prepared for me to raise the bar with his training.