The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

NOW- What colour breeches look best with a light grey coat?

Hmm... I have the same issue. I think the tan look the best, but you will probably see me in the green-beige TS. They are more comfortable. lol

Quote Originally Posted by LiveToFly View Post
    You know, if somene rides well enough and has enough style to do well in the hunters, they certainatly ride well enough to event

That would depend largely on :

A.) whether the stylish hunter rider has ever step foot out of the ring on horse back and ridden/jumped XC.
    B.) they have some Dressage knowledge and basics under their belt to be competitive in the DRESSAGE phase. If your not competitive in Dressage (especially at the lower levels) good luck doing well in Eventing. So many people think eventing is just racing around getting over the jumps....well some do exactly that....but most of the time their not winning

Some of the lower level hunter riders (which encompasses the majority of the Hunter sport) who may have minimal experience XC might not find eventing all that easy.
    Of course there are rides who could go both ways and do BOTH hunters/eventers with style. BUT I dont' think those riders are the majority.

ETA: I personally don't really care that hunterland is concerned with up to date, impeccable turnout. I care a great deal about turnout myself. You would be hardpressed to pin me as sloppy/ careless even out schooling in my backyard! I was merely pointing out the obvious earlier. Don't say it's all about neat,clean and tidy if your going to define what fits in those parameters. Because it's really more about looking the part.

Quote Originally Posted by LookinSouth View Post

A.) whether the stylish hunter rider has ever step foot out of the ring on horse back and ridden/jumped XC.
    B.) they have some Dressage knowledge and basics under their belt to be competitive in the DRESSAGE phase. If your not competitive in Dressage (especially at the lower levels) good luck doing well in Eventing. So many people think eventing is just racing around getting over the jumps....well some do exactly that....but most of the time their not winning

Some of the lower level hunter riders (which encompasses the majority of the Hunter sport) who may have minimal experience XC might not find eventing all that easy.
    Of course there are riders who could go both ways and do BOTH hunters/eventers with style. BUT I dont' think those riders are the majority.

I guess it depends on what you mean by "lower levels" (for both hunters and eventing) and "some dressage knowlege".

I totally agree that you need experience riding outside the ring and jumping XC fences, but I think most hunter riders could do Beginner Novice dressage tests. Isn't beginner novice mostly working trot/canter plus medium and free walk? I could be way off on this, but I didn't think the more difficult stuff came until later. Sure, they'd need to practice, but most good hunter riders could do those tests.

I say this because the hunter riders I know that have tried eventing usually spend more time working on safe cross country riding. They do practice dressage, but it's not their primary area of concern. And, those I've known, have done quite well in their journeys to the dark side! Likewise, when eventers look at the hunter horses I've known, they're more concerned with how the horse handles cross country obstacles than how the horse does in dressage.

Quote Originally Posted by dogchushu View Post
    I guess it depends on what you mean by "lower levels" (for both hunters and eventing) and "some dressage knowlege".

I totally agree that you need experience riding outside the ring and jumping XC fences, but I think most hunter riders could do Beginner Novice dressage tests. Isn't beginner novice mostly working trot/canter plus medium and free walk? I could be way off on this, but I didn't think the more difficult stuff came until later. Sure, they'd need to practice, but most good hunter riders could do those tests.

Lower level meaning 3ft divisions and under..both disciplines. The hunter world consists of ALOT of 2'6 to 3ftish riders and so does the event world

Most hunter riders absolutely COULD do the movements required on a BN dressage test. Its supposed to be basic and easy. However, if you go in the ring riding like a hunter...on a horse that goes like a hunter..your not going to beat the riders/horses who have the frame/movement and impulsion of a higher level. Granted, your not supposed to be judged on whether or not your horse goes like a 1st/2nd level horse but those that DO will be hard to beat. So my point was if you don't have any Dressage background whatsoever your probably going to have a hard time beating those that DO. In Area I at least, there are so many entered in the BN/N levels there are many horses that are excellent in Dressage that also jump double clear at the low levels. 9 times out of 10 the riders taking home the blues won on their dressage score. Many of the riders who consistently win around here (BN/N) also regularly win at straight Dressage shows. You better have spent quite a bit of time prepping/training for Dressage if you want to beat them

Of course there are rides who could go both ways and do BOTH hunters/eventers with style. BUT I dont' think those riders are the majority.

ETA: I personally don't really care that hunterland is concerned with up to date, impeccable turnout. I care a great deal about turnout myself. You would be hardpressed to pin me as sloppy/ careless even out schooling in my backyard! I was merely pointing out the obvious earlier. Don't say it's all about neat,clean and tidy if your going to define what fits in those parameters. Because it's really more about looking the part.
    The basics are still the same, its not like putting a dressage rider on a western pleasure horse, And *lots* of riders could get around a novice dressage course(especially one at a event), and *plenty* of them dont ride like dressage riders.
    I guess I was trying to say, A good rider is a good rider, a good hunter rider is no less then a good event rider. Of course someone new to eventing isent going to go and beat everyone, and thats not nessiarily because they are "ineffective", and honestly, no eventer is going to go in the hunter ring and beat everyone either, however, the COULD do it decently and vice versa.

Lower level meaning 3ft divisions and under..both disciplines. The hunter world consists of ALOT of 2'6 to 3ftish riders and so does the event world

Most hunter riders absolutely COULD do the movements required on a BN dressage test. Its supposed to be basic and easy. However, if you go in the ring riding like a hunter...on a horse that goes like a hunter..your not going to beat the riders/horses who have the frame/movement and impulsion of a higher level. Granted, your not supposed to be judged on whether or not your horse goes like a 1st/2nd level horse but those that DO will be hard to beat. So my point was if you don't have any Dressage background whatsoever your probably going to have a hard time beating those that DO. In Area I at least, there are so many entered in the BN/N levels there are many horses that are excellent in Dressage that also jump double clear at the low levels. 9 times out of 10 the riders taking home the blues won on their dressage score. Many of the riders who consistently win around here (BN/N) also regularly win at straight Dressage shows. You better have spent quite a bit of time prepping/training for Dressage if you want to beat them
    So, please explain to me why hunter riders who go into a totaly new dicipline are deemed ineffective for not beating everyone Hmm I think I already know the answer to that question

I didn't think that the original proposer of the hunter-to-eventing transition was worried about the dressage phase. Or show jumping, either.
    madeline
    * What you release is what you teach * Don't be distracted by unwanted behavior* Whoever waits the longest is the teacher. Van Hargis

And *lots* of riders could get around a novice dressage course(especially one at a event), and *plenty* of them dont ride like dressage riders.
    It's dressage TEST.... not course I elaborated on the Dressage phase in response to Dogchushu's question.

As I tried to explain earlier "getting around" has little to do with being competitive. I could "get around" a Hunter course tommorrow...and my horse would go/jump like a hunter at our level. Would I be in the ribbons? That would largely depend on the company.
    Most event riders could "get around" a hunter course.....that doesn't mean they'd do it WELL. That's my point.

There is only one poster who has deemed Hunter riders as ineffective and it wasn't me so I am not sure why you can't get over that. Let's move on from that. If someone wants to believe all riders in a given discipline are ineffective that's their problem.

A good rider IS a good rider. I agree 100%. But you didn't say "good rider" earlier...you said "anyone that rides well enough and has enough style to do the hunters" could go out and event which is a pretty broad generalization.

Riding XC has little do with style and much to do with a secure/solid position. Don't be so naive to think that ANY hunter could mosey on over to eventing and be successful. I certainly don't think ANY eventer could wander over to hunterland and be successful....I'd be crazy if I did!
    Last edited by LookinSouth; Jul. 18, 2008 at 09:45 AM.

The basics are still the same, its not like putting a dressage rider on a western pleasure horse, .

Actually the Dressage position is closer to the western seat than any other english discipline with the exception of the rein contact. I think most Dressage riders would have an easier time on a WP horse than getting a trained Hunter to go like a Hunter and RIDE like a hunter themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by RugBug View Post
    I do take exception to people who rail on hunters because there is a standard for turn-out and say it's why people don't like them: because we're fashion obsessed. I'm sure there are some people who are fashion-obsessed, but that's not unique to hunters. Why can't we enjoy our options? I'm glad we have them. I'd be sad if all I could wear was white breeches and a black coat.

I'd really rather be on the Darren thread, but since I don't like to read threads about crashing and injuries on days that I ride (they really get into my head), and I'm riding everyday right now...I'm staying away.
    HUGE difference between trend and fashion obsessed and being properly turned out. I don't miss this aspect of the hunters AT ALL. It is so tedious. I learned early on from great coaches and the Pony Club all about being impeccably turned out...has NOTHING to do with doing the hunters. I event and do the jumpers now and I am always perfectly turned out, as is my horse. There are those in every discipline that favor gaudy, loud attire and are sloppy in their turnout, there is no exclusivity by a certain discipline. In life as well.

Cheap shot in regards to the Darren thread. No secret why you would draw the ire of other posters with that one.
    "look deep into his pedigree. Look for the name of a one-of-a-kind horse who lends to his kin a fierce tenacity, a will of iron, a look of eagles. Look & know that Slew is still very much with us."

Quote Originally Posted by sisu27 View Post
    Cheap shot in regards to the Darren thread. No secret why you would draw the ire of other posters with that one.
    I don't think that comment drew anyone's ire but your's. And I'm serious: I would rather be on the Darren thread. There is VERY good discussion going on. There was no cheap shot...I'm interested in the discussion, but too many people are posting their experiences with significant injuries. After being involved in my own (although not a TBI), I can't read about crashes/injuries on days I ride. My overactive brain starts telling me that today is the day I'm going to die and that attitude just doesn't work on my sensitive horse.

To LookinSouth: Don't kid yourself that dressage is all that difficult at the lower levels. It's basic flatwork. Rhythm, balance, impulsion. Hunter riders are pretty good at that and with a few tips about what is expected (geometry, etc), would probably be just fine. From personal experience, I've been low 30s in eventing dressage (on a not-so-talented but kind soul) and mid 60s in straight dressage (on a QH and on my spooky WB who was having a tough day). I haven't done much, but I'm right there in it when I do. And I've never taken a dressage lesson in my life. This might be out of reach of a beginner kid, but I would venture just about any experience hunter rider could do a low level dressage test very respectably.

I was more concerned about XC. Learning to do a down bank (and jumping down a hill) was my biggest concern. I also had to learn to go faster than I was used to, but that big yellow watch is the greatest invention EVER, IMO. I seriously covet one and I haven't been on a XC course for almost a year.
    Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
    Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

To LookinSouth: Don't kid yourself that dressage is all that difficult at the lower levels. It's basic flatwork. Rhythm, balance, impulsion. Hunter riders are pretty good at that and with a few tips about what is expected (geometry, etc), would probably be just fine. From personal experience, I've been low 30s in eventing dressage (on a not-so-talented but kind soul) and mid 60s in straight dressage (on a QH and on my spooky WB who was having a tough day). I haven't done much, but I'm right there in it when I do. And I've never taken a dressage lesson in my life. This might be out of reach of a beginner kid, but I would venture just about any experience hunter rider could do a low level dressage test very respectably.
    Yup those are respectable scores. But come on over to the very competitive Area I and I think you will soon learn what I'm talking about. You need to be quite solid in Dressage AND have a mount that's going to be competitive if you plan on winning.

Any experienced hunter rider is a little different than "ANY hunter rider" which is the statement I had a problem with.
    Last edited by LookinSouth; Jul. 18, 2008 at 11:19 AM.

Yup those are respectable scores. But come on over to the very competitive Area I and I think you will soon learn what I'm talking about. You need to be quite solid in Dressage AND have a mount that's going to be competitive if you plan on winning.
    Um...ouch? That wasn't very nice. Let me paraphase your statement: 'Yes those were respectable scores but only because the competition where you live sucks.'

Any experienced hunter rider is a little different than "ANY hunter rider" which is the statement I had a problem with.
    And to this I would have to say, "well, duh." The word 'any' gives too many options, from the beginner who's been riding for a few months to the very experienced. I'm pretty sure both the beginner hunter rider and the beginner event rider would have similar dressage tests...meaning they will both pretty much suck. If you compare apples to apples, i really don't think a hunter rider would have that difficult a time with a low level dressage test.

[quote=RugBug;3370859]Um...ouch? That wasn't very nice. Let me paraphase your statement: 'Yes those were respectable scores but only because the competition where you live sucks.' [/quotes]

That REALLY wasn't how I meant for it to be interpreted....though I see how that could happen. Sorry!

No, I am sure you could hold your own in Area I....however, I wouldn't be so quick to assume that the average hunter rider (not meaning you) could waltz into the dressage ring in Area I w/ little to no training and w/o a competitive horse. Sad as it is if you don't have a Dressage horse out here ....that also jumps double clear.... your not winning all too often in the extremely competitive BN/N divisions. That's just the way it is unfortunately.

And to this I would have to say, "well, duh." The word 'any' gives too many options, from the beginner who's been riding for a few months to the very experienced. I'm pretty sure both the beginner hunter rider and the beginner event rider would have similar dressage tests...meaning they will both pretty much suck. If you compare apples to apples, i really don't think a hunter rider would have that difficult a time with a low level dressage test.

I dont' have a problem with comparing apples to oranges. Agreed. I HAVE a problem when someone is upset that a poster makes a sweeping, inaccurate generalization and (livetofly) THEN does the same themselves by saying "all hunter riders....blah blah blah"... which is just absurd.

Anyway...I think the point has been made here.

Could the hunter haters please go play in their own sandbox? We were having a good time before you showed up.
    "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
    -George Morris

My solution for what color breeches go with a light grey hunt coat? Don't get a light grey hunt coat!

Seriously, probably the best you're going to do without the beige/grey thing (which I HATE!) would be khaki/greenish-beige/puke green - colored breeches, with more of an emphasis on the green rather than the beige.
    Founder, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous
    Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

Quote Originally Posted by pattnic View Post
    My solution for what color breeches go with a light grey hunt coat? Don't get a light grey hunt coat!
    That's my solution as well.

I just can't wear the puke green or even beige with light grey. I wouldn't do that in street clothes, so I won't do it in riding clothes. If I had to have the light grey coat...I would find some light grey breeches. I don't have an aversion to them like some because I grew up wearing 'em (and rust, too).

It's basic flatwork. Rhythm, balance, impulsion
    Consider the equitation rider - usually classed as a hunter/jumper person. Dressage over fences

Rust breeches go very nicely with a light gray coat.
    "If you would have only one day to live, you should spend at least half of it in the saddle."

Quote Originally Posted by pinkme View Post
    I just hate hate hate panty lines. Its not heard to weaar undies that dont show! I also agree with the too tight pants! I hate to see peoples fat lumps..make me want to barf. Im not skinny..at all, but wearing pants that fit isnt hard to do.
    I don't mind wearing thongs, but I tried at a show and I got a wedgie in the wrong place. Very uncomfortable. Thank goodness for microfiber so regular undies - I like the low rise boy cut. That being said, I'd rather risk a little panty line than get that kind of wedgie again.
    Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will. - Gandhi