The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

There is never a use for sleeveless show shirts. If it's hot enough for jackets to be waived, long sleeves are correct. Ditto the remarks about sweating up the jacket lining.
    "If you would have only one day to live, you should spend at least half of it in the saddle."

Default Straight from the USEF rulebook...

When management permits Hunter or Hunter Seat Equitation
    riders to ride without jackets, riders must wear traditional, short, or long-sleeved riding shirts with chokers or ties.
    If you read the letter of the law, sleeveless shirts are prohibited anyway.

And short sleeved shirts just look tacky.

Quote Originally Posted by Sukey1971 View Post
    Red shirts - I think they look AWFUL. And I heard about someone who wore one at a show and the judge refused to pin her.
    Depending on how her round compared to other competitors', that's a show I wouldn't patronize again. Someone who can be so dramatically swayed by a colored shirt (assuming all other elements of turnout and performance are up to par) should be judging a beauty pageant, not a hunter show.

That depends on how you want to interpret the rules. Clearly, in that respect, she is not wearing a "traditional" shirt, and she's certainly not wearing formal attire.

Once again, the USEF rulebook states "Management or Judge may eliminate an exhibitor who is inappropriately attired."

Now, there's already quite a bit of leeway from what is considered traditional, and the judge needs to keep that in mind, but when someone is so completely and totally out of the realm of traditional they'd darn well better ride LIGHT YEARS better than everyone else.

Granted--if she were wearing a bright spangly sequined red Western Pleasure show shirt with breeches. But the 6-8 square inches of ratcatcher that show above a coat collar? I don't think that a red color in that case is "completely and totally out of the realm of tradition." And personally I think red is closer to "tradition" than the pinks, oranges, greens, and even BLACK that some are wearing. After all, it's not all that far off from rust breeches, which would certainly be considered out of fashion but not completely untraditional.

Black is a NO, and SUBTLE is key, regardless of what color it is.

Rust breeches are neither out of fashion nor untraditional.

Whoa....I like pink, but THAT'S a little bit much...OK, a LOT much! I couldn't even be down with wearing those for schooling.
    "It is not necessary for you to let everyone know everything about you. In fact, it is probably wise that you don't. There are some things that you need only discuss with God."

Think they can be dyed?

If you actually rode in them, how would you ever keep them clean?!

Though they'd match my pink/gray GR8 that I school in heh heh...
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

When I enter a show ring I try to be as fashionable as I can...pretty traditional too. But at my last show I saw a high style, perfectly dressed, fancy as pie little girl throw her 4th place ribbon on the ground and stomp on it. From the same class was a little girl, coat a little big, ponies braids a little loose, a little under styled who came away without a ribbon, but with a smile proving that she and her little pony had just conquered the world.

Sometimes even I must check my priorities...that day was a good reminder.
    Lesmiz_07

Quote Originally Posted by Chancensassy View Post
    Not to mention what sweat does to the coat lining - yuk!
    I hate bare skin sticking to coat lining more the anything. It is plain gross, disgusting.
    Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will. - Gandhi

I have to chuckle at the "I like the conservative classic look" yet hate STOCK Pins in the hunters - it's such a small little item- who'd thunk it would cause so much dislike? Stock pins are Classic turnout for hunters - except not the little cutesy ones. Sorry but I have a beautiful antique stockpin my mother-in-law gave me pre-wedding - I love wearing it but then again, I'm older and wiser and don't feel the need to cave in to peer pressure.

Other Peeves - what not to wear
    1) learning that some women go to such extremes as to wear pantyhose on their heads to achieve "perfect hunter hair"

2)Not a fan of the monochromatic look of breeches and jacket - a little contrast is nice.

3) I don't care how young you are - please no Pollyanna Hairbows..

4) My favorite thing is seeing a little child kiss their pony !

5) TEARS unless they are for joy/happiness

i deffinently like the classy look. I'm all for a velvet helmet, with black pin striped show coat (or really any dark shade), blue show shirt, i personally like the greener looking pants instead of the tanner color, and black tall boots. As for my horse - white saddle pad. No boots - i show hunters so they're not aloud. When i'm schooling its either a white or blue square pad. i dont like colors on my horse. especially because he's chestnut.. seriously, what bright color goes with a chestnut? Classy looks professional. I absolutely love sidesaddle! What you have to wear is the deffinition of CLASS.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedar Bluff Stables View Post
    i deffinently like the classy look. I'm all for a velvet helmet, with black pin striped show coat (or really any dark shade), blue show shirt, i personally like the greener looking pants instead of the tanner color, and black tall boots. As for my horse - white saddle pad. No boots - i show hunters so they're not aloud. When i'm schooling its either a white or blue square pad. i dont like colors on my horse. especially because he's chestnut.. seriously, what bright color goes with a chestnut? Classy looks professional. I absolutely love sidesaddle! What you have to wear is the deffinition of CLASS.
    I have to agree, no color compliments a chesnut. (except for white) Black looks nice, but other than that IMO nothing works!