The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Last year 38,588 Americans died due to vehicle crashes, far far more than horse activities. Yet none of us hesitate to hop in our car.

Many of us here have been in car accidents. I've been in several so bad the car was totalled. Yet I don't pause before picking up the car keys.

Don't overthink this. What you can do is make the probability of an accident much lower. For example, helmet use. If you're not up for high risk, it's wise to stick to riding well trained quieter horses and to slower speeds & better footing.

Yes, you can get badly hurt while with horses, but you can also get badly hurt doing other things. A wonderful horsewoman here ran a farm fulltime giving riding lessons and training the horses she breeds. She ended up with a crushed skull, facial nerve damage, and two shattered wrists requiring pins.... from a fall not off her horse -- but off a ladder!

Life is dangerous. You can get out of it alive.

Quote Originally Posted by charismaryllis View Post
    a woman in VA beach died while out running last week; she was *hit by lightning* of all things.
    believe it or not, that's quite common. every year, hundreds in the US are hit by lightning, and 62 on average die, according to NOAA.
    http://www.lightningsafety.noaa.gov/
    running on a beach in the middle of a thunderstorm is definitely high-risk behavior

I don't consider riding a death-defying act. I wear a helmet and exercise good judgment. That's about the extent of what anyone can do.

Nearly everything you do has risk associated with it, and riding is no different. You mitigate the risks and then decide if the enjoyment or benefit outweighs the chances of being injured or dying. If it doesn't, then stop doing it.

Pretty simple.

PS -- About 15 years ago, I had two falls in less than a year that both resulted in broken bones. Nothing too serious, just painful. I decided I needed to learn how to ride better or quit altogether. I've been relatively unscathed since then. Knowledge and skill are marvelous risk mitigators.

Quote Originally Posted by Cherry View Post
    I never heard anyone speak of bailing off a horse until I came to COTH! Somehow that doesn't sound like a very good idea to me.... I once had the opportunity to speak to a Director of Nursing at a local college, who is also a horseback rider, and I asked her what is the appropriate thing to do. She said it is always preferable to stay on board the horse. There is less risk of injury, or death, if you do so..... She said eventually the horse will run out of steam.... If you know how to stop a runaway horse though the point is moot!
    I have learned to bail with my latest horse and I am surprised at the amount of people that say "you should NEVER get off". Here's the thing, he starts backing up and would back up over a cliff or into oncoming traffic. Loses his mind. If we are in no danger I don't get off, I wait and ride it out. When there is a fence, low trees, a drop...I get off. Once I get off and reassure him he settles and I hop back on and we are on our way. I can't see how letting him back up into danger (and yes I boot him forward...just makes him reverse more) or flip over makes more sense.

I agree with not bailing off a bolter though, mostly because I worry about what would happen to the horse after I got off.
    "look deep into his pedigree. Look for the name of a one-of-a-kind horse who lends to his kin a fierce tenacity, a will of iron, a look of eagles. Look & know that Slew is still very much with us."

Quote Originally Posted by equinelaw View Post
    At least with a horse accedent it is usually not personal.

Many more people die of suicide in the US then horse accedents.
    equinelaw - please, please don't be offended, but you've got to be the only lawyer out there who doesn't know how to spell "accident"

Quote Originally Posted by Ambrey View Post
    Are they? Most of the ones I've heard of recently were really experienced riders. She was a great rider, and her horse was not bombproof but wasn't a nutcase either. She just fell off- like we all do.

Everyone wants to blame her, say "that couldn't be me, because I don't do things the way she did," but I am not sure it's so easy. We've all come off, we've all been injured. How much does it take to go from injury to death?

She was not safety conscious- she was a brave rider and a free spirit. So, of course we can all reduce our risk by doing the things we know we should... double checking our tack, knowing the limitations of our horses, wearing our protective gear. But how much can we reduce it?

These are all just musings on my part. I can't believe she is gone, I am going to miss her smiling face. I am worried about what will happen to her lovely mare. I hurt for her family.

Yes, it's a community- we all tied blue ribbons in our horses' hair to remember her.
    I was there.

Sadly, many of us who were very good friends with her, as I was, had been on her ass for years about riding her hot horse without a helmet. Her new thing was to take it out on trail in just a halter. We were mortified, and addressed it many times. Most recently with me a few weeks ago at lunch.

Her father trains racehorses and she has ridden her entire life, and that was her reason for never wearing a helmet. We had a long chat on Saturday night right before she rode out, just about this and that, and the last person who spoke to her - also a longtime close friend - had the same thought as me, what the f#$k is she doing riding that horse at night / in shorts / no helmet / no saddle / no bridle / in a halter and leadrope / no ID on her when she went on trail / didn't mention she was going out.

I have yet to hear someone saying it couldn't have been them. I have seen an instant increase in the number of people sporting helmets, and a crackdown on people riding in halters, which is against the rules at our barn.

We all knew she was never going to put on a helmet. Instead, I think most people are especially sad because it could have been prevented. She was a fearless rider, but the horse was hauling ass down a hill, not galloping across a field, and she could not stay on. I was more worried by her riding in a halter and not a bridle.

The horse will continue to receive the excellent care it is used to, and one of her friends will coordinate her sale to another loving home.

Sorry if I sound curt about it, but it absolutely did not have to happen. Her passing has left a hole in a great many hearts.

Edited to say: I agree that wearing a helmet is a personal choice. Having been through a traumatic brain injury myself, I saw what it did to my family. If she didn't have children, whatever. But, sadly, she did, and now they are left without a mother. And, again, knowing she would never wear one, my issue was with her riding in a halter.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

That is very sad. Sounds like she just didn't think it was going to happen to her. If folks had talked to her about it and she didn't listen..... there is nothing else you could have done. If she came from a racing background - she knew the score and with her habits, probably just managed to beat the odds for a long time.

Still - I'm sorry for your loss.

--good lord!

(not to mention the liability issues--the insurance carrier is having convulsions, i bet.)

Not offended, but after a year of posting most people find it faster to point out the words I spell right

Just to be fair, I must point out that most lawyers do not do personal injury work and have nothing to do with accidents.

Which is good becuase if someone invented the "horse" today and tried to market it they would be sued for selling inherinetly dangerous products that cause harm even when used as intended. Like lawn darts

I'd still rather die on a horse then live in a world without them.

Quote Originally Posted by J Swan View Post
    That is very sad. Sounds like she just didn't think it was going to happen to her. If folks had talked to her about it and she didn't listen..... there is nothing else you could have done.

Still - I'm sorry for your loss.
    Thanks. We are all devastated. And, yes, she didn't think it would happen to her. She would laugh and say she was tall and the horse was small, and it wasn't a long way down and she knew how to fall.

Thank God there were some boys out on our trail area who saw it happen and could call 911 right away, because it was already twilight and we would not have known where to start looking for her. The first indication something was wrong is that the horse was outside of her stall sans halter. A friend jumped in her car to go and find our friend, and was checking all the arenas when the ambulance turned up.

It was a beautiful night, a perfect summer evening. She had just come from golfing with her husband and looked spectacular. My only consolation is that her last thought was probably "Oh shit, I'm going to fall off," and then nothing.

Edited again to say that I am sorry I sound bitter. I am having inner shouting matches, because while I have always believed that when it is your time, it is your time, I cannot help thinking that it did not need to happen. But it did, and since it did then I have to accept the fact that this was her time.

Saturday at noon we will all gather to toast in her honor. Sunday is the memorial.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

Quote Originally Posted by arabhorse2 View Post
    Life itself is fraught with danger, and none of us are going to get out of it alive anyway!
    that's very true!

Yes, horses are dangerous, but so is life. Driving a car is very dangerous.

I think with horses it's very important to get a horse who is a good match for you, always use common sense and never cut corners (hard to do), and always be aware of the horse. I believe that can cut down on a lot of horse-related accidents.

I'm sorry to hear about your friend. The fact that the worst doesn't usually happen makes it all the more shocking when it does.

Quote Originally Posted by Coreene View Post

Edited again to say that I am sorry I sound bitter. I am having inner shouting matches, because while I have always believed that when it is your time, it is your time, I cannot help thinking that it did not need to happen.

Saturday at noon we will all gather to toast in her honor. Sunday is the memorial.
    You don't sound bitter. Just angry to lose a friend in an accident that shouldn't have happened. Sorry for your loss. For everyone's loss.

And then, from sadness comes life. For she was an organ donor. So while we are all grieving at our loss, her final gift has graced others with a new life. She was the dearest, most giving friend - she would have given you the shirt off her back, and was the first one to plan the party. My guess is those that have been blessed with her gracious gift will have an extra new spring in their steps.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

I just read about a month ago in the paper about a big study that was done at the University of Calgary trauma center. They had compiled alot of stats over the last ten years and the basic jist of it was that equestrian sport is the most dangerous, life threatening sport (in front of motorcross even). Most of the injuries that they saw (the vast majority, I don't remember the stats, but it was high) were head injuries and most from not wearning helmets. The vast majority of the deaths were head trauma. And the average person who came into the trauma room for horse related injuries was over thirty years of age that were apparently experienced horse people...most riding western.

This is not surprising. We are dealing with a 1300lb animal with a high flight instinct. We often do stupid things around them and we often do not protect ourselves as we should. Most accidents are preventable. I start youngsters and ALWAYS wear a helmet any time I am in the saddle, no matter the horse. I am now thinking of getting a flatjacket, even just for schooling/lunging. I love my life..and I KNOW there is a fairly significant risk when working with horses..young ones in particular. I think you protect yourself as best you can, try and think things over really well, don't take risks and after that..not much you can do.

I will look for the link.
    www.svhanoverians.com

"Simple: Breeding,Training, Riding". Wolfram Wittig.

Well, again...I know it's terribly sad.

Death is usually pretty sad for those still living.

But it sounds like this gal was full of life, excitement, liked a little danger, liked to fly by the seat of her pants, was fun to be around, was a generous and caring person, etc.

Maybe it was a premature death that could've been prevented. But again, I must tell you that after working with folks in hospice who've lived nice long lives, there's something about dying young doing something you love that appeals to me more than struggling through terminal illness.

My condolences to all who knew her. I hope you're able to celebrate her life even as you mourn her death. ((((hugs))))
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Quote Originally Posted by Coreene View Post

Sorry if I sound curt about it, but it absolutely did not have to happen. Her passing has left a hole in a great many hearts.

Edited to say: I agree that wearing a helmet is a personal choice. Having been through a traumatic brain injury myself, I saw what it did to my family. If she didn't have children, whatever. But, sadly, she did, and now they are left without a mother. And, again, knowing she would never wear one, my issue was with her riding in a halter.
    It's your right to be angry. It's not mine, I was not close with her. I really liked her, and I know she never would have worn a helmet (and that she was nagged daily about it). It was very much "not her." I know some of those who cared the most about her are the most angry with her. I didn't know her well enough to yell at her.

I didn't realize you'd been there. How awful I saw her go out that morning and joked with her because she wasn't wearing her tennis skort (she'd been riding in a tennis skort a few days before).

I love your post about the organ donation! I can imagine her smile shining through.

If nothing else, she has made a lot of people rethink the risks they are taking. Although going out on trail with a halter and no helmet sounds daring to me, she certainly was far from alone. Luck can only hold out so long, I guess... I hope to see fewer helmetless kids galloping up and down the hill this week.

And I will continue to cover myself in bubble wrap and velcro myself to the saddle.

I'm so very sorry to learn of your barnmate's passing. Something like that can really make you pause, AS IT SHOULD.

So...do I think riding is dangerous. YES. But I accept the danger - I don't minimize it, I take what precautions I can in terms of training, equipment and, I hope, common sense, but this sport can kill me. I tell all of the parents who seem to be pushing their kids to ride when it looks like the parent really wants to be doing it, to be sure that the CHILD wants to do this, because they need to be able to live with themselves if something happens.

BUT...I feel most alive when I'm riding. I love horses, and I feel so fortunate that I'm able to ride. I had a car accident nearly a decade ago that left me being told I'd never be able to ride again. My husband urged me to lease my horse, not sell him, and not to give up. We found the right doctor, and today I'm riding at a level I never thought I'd develop the skill to achieve. Yes, it's a risk, maybe more for me than for some with my back injury, but it's WHY I had surgery and did the rehab...to ride again.

That accident could have killed me when all I was doing was stopping at a red light, and it made me more tolerent of some risks. Riding is a risk. IMO you're an idiot if you don't understand that this sport is very dangerous. The key is knowing that, and accepting the danger while mitigating it to the highest extent you can, just like with any other high-risk activity. And also, IMO, accepting that if you start to worry more about the risk than you enjoy the activity, it may not be the right thing for you.

And the reality is that no one knows how long this ride through life may be. I saw the dawn of AIDS in the New York metro area; I've lost friends in my 20s; we'll go to a viewing this weekend for a woman who just died after a ferocious battle with breast cancer - she was 33. I know that I'd rather die doing something I love, than avoiding something because there might be risk.

Donella, I saw that study. I guess I like to think that wearing my helmet significantly decreases the chances that I will be seriously injured. I mean, neither of my horses is likely to double barrel me in the face and I don't jump, so a broken back is less likely.

Buddy, she was a sparkling personality. She had a captivating smile and a lovely australian accent, and she was funny as hell too. If it's this sad for those of us who just knew her through horses, I can't imagine how hard it is for those who were really close to her.

It is sad, isn't it, how there is this blanket of grief over the stable. She has touched so many lives in a good way, and part of that love means sadness when the person dies. Better to have had her in our lives and be facing this grief than not to have had her at all, but it's just shit for everyone. God must have needed a tall blonde free spirited angel.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

It's a sign of how much we come together through horses, though. And the blanket of grief is a good description. Nobody is quite as quick to smile this week.

I bet nobody in heaven is bugging her to wear a helmet, what with all those fluffy clouds to fall on!