The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default General breeding to sell questions...

Ok, so this are questions for everyone who is breeding their mare(s) with the intent of selling the resulting foal(s)...

Do you currently ride in the discipline that you bred this foal for?
    Do you compete in said discipline? If so, at what level?
    Have you ridden/competed in said discipline at some point in your life? If so, at what level?
    At what age do you hope to sell the foal?
    Are you set up to raise the filly or colt to age 3?
    Do you start your own young stock?
    Do you have a trainer lined up to campaign your mature riding stock?
    Are your buyer(s) generally riders?
    What do you value more when selling? A) Show home B) Home for life C) Both D) Neither, as a sale is a sale
    What is your most successful selling tool? A) Online Ads B) Print Ads C) Word of Mouth D) Reputation E) Other, please elaborate
    Are you internet savvy?

This is not meant to be super nosy...but I was getting set up to paint jumps and had some thoughts swirling around...

I breed for Dressage horses, and sportponies. So, yes.

Not currently

Have you ridden/competed in said discipline at some point in your life? If so, at what level?
    Competed to First level, schooling at 2nd/3rd

As early as possible

Yes

No

Yes

Im just making this a "buisness", so I'm not sure yet

What do you value more when selling?
    A) Show home
    B)Home for life
    C) Both
    D) Neither, as a sale is a sale

C) Both

What is your most successful selling tool?
    A) Online Ads
    B) Print Ads
    C) Word of Mouth
    D) Reputation
    E) Other, please elaborate

A

Are you internet savvy?
    Yes

I don't just "breed to sell", if there is a foal I really like, or want to keep longer, then you bet I will. I am set up to keep all these foals all their life if it came to that! Yes, there are some crosses that I know that I will more than likely be keeping, and some that I will more than likely be selling, but the majority are "whatever happens, happens".
    Making Your Ambitions a Reality at Secret Ambition Stables.
    Quality Welsh Ponies and Welsh Crosses bred for sport
    Facebook Page.
    Section A and Section B Welsh Ponies at stud

Foals may go to jumper or dressage homes. I ride dressage
    training and first level dressage - no jumping
    under a year, or after being started
    yes
    no
    I have a trainer that competes one horse, I have a different trainer to start youngsters. I don't anticipate competing any home breds - unless it
    is just to get them seen as young horses.
    yes
    What do you value more when selling? A) Show home B) Home for life C) Both D) Neither, as a sale is a sale
    B
    What is your most successful selling tool? A) Online Ads B) Print Ads C) Word of Mouth D) Reputation E) Other, please elaborate
    A, C
    Are you internet savvy?
    yes

Ok, so this are questions for everyone who is breeding their mare(s) with the intent of selling the resulting foal(s)...

Used to - not any more ...

"A" level hunters and jumpers up to Modified GP levels

see above

In utero or as a weanling

If need be. It hasnt happened yet, only by choice have I kept anything past a weanling

To a degree - yes - but they dont stay around long enough for me to do any under saddle work with them

Yes

Yes

Show home. 100% of the time

Word of mouth and reputation. Maybe a bit online ads. A lot of repeat business

Are you internet savvy?
    Very much so ...

*Well I have tried but so far the first 2 I raised to riding age both died by the age of 5 (colic and broken leg) when they got to the point of "ready to show" in dressage. My third attempt should be ready to show lower levels by this fall. She was a miserable beast to start under saddle (sweet on the ground and not so good work ethic under saddle) and we have finally "broken through" that and are making progress now!! The keepers for me are bred for dressage. Not all the foals are bred for dressage though. Some have been intentionally bred to be hunter/jumpers (they sell more easily) or were bred for dressage and turned out to be better hunter/jumper types anyway.

No/see above.
    Prior to breeding I rode in a different discipline

I have taken up dressage recently....no due to above. Prior to that did trail riding, polo and field hunting. I took up dressage when I had a polo pony that I was having trouble getting a lead change on and neede to work with a trainer. I ended up with a dressage trainer. I also found out I was unexpectedly pregnant at that point and decided dressage was a safer sport to stick with after that. I have the responsbility to more likely stay in one piece as a parent.

Depends on the foal. We have more than one. Some are keepers for me/NFS, some are for sale "at the right price" and some are for sale ASAP!

Yes

Yes. HOW much depends on the finances. I always get them to the point they longe under tack and have been lightly backed before they go out. If I am paying for them to go to the trainer I want the days spent there to be ones they are ridden, not groundwork. The easy ones stay here for all training. If I think they might be errrr difficult they get sent out. I do have one PIA mare that stayed here and I WISH I could have sent her out but finances were tight at the time. Only up side to that is I can say "she made me a better rider"" (better stickability anyway.....bleah!!).

No. I do take lessons/work with a trainer personally as time and finances permit. The current 3 YO I have for sale is the longest I have kept one. The longest I kept one to date that was intended for sale was until 10 days under saddle. This one would have sold several times over but has a minor health
    glitch (not unsound but makes it a tougher sell in this already bad market).

Some are the actual rider, some are trainers looking for a project to train and resell

Depends on the horse. For the most part D though if the horse is one of the "special" ones I am pickier if it is a show home.

A...almost all have sold online. We have had some repeat sales from a buyer that intially found us online or local word of mouth sales....but mostly A.

Are you internet savvy?
    Yes

This is not meant to be super nosy...but I was getting set up to paint jumps and had some thoughts swirling around...

Want to come help paint mine too? Mine need it!!!!
    Last edited by camohn; Jul. 9, 2008 at 03:10 PM.

Not at the moment, but I have. Coming back from years of injury and surgeries, but I hope to be fully back in the ring this fall.

Again, used to--but never on the scale or level that I can ride, train and breed to. That takes MONEY and I suspect few but the extremely wealthy can really afford to both breed and show.

Besides producing a slew of pretty successful hunter ponies, I've developed a handful of upper-level dressage horses and a couple of eventers and jumpers. Mentioned because I think I know what you are getting at, in a way: yes, I'm pretty confident that what I'm trying to produce in the foals I breed is what is necessary for the upper levels of the sports I breed for. I'm confident because I've ridden that kind of horse enough to recognize its traits.

I'd LOVE to sell foals, but I can't afford to--it takes a whopper lot of moolah to have the kind of bloodlines AND the kind of contacts/advertising to get that job done, which, IMO, is why few of us succeed. Instead, I work very, very hard at keeping my overhead low so that I can raise the worthy ones I produce (unworthy ones get culled, usually as weanlings) to u/s ages that sell better. My business plan also relies on the occasional windfall sale to make up for the average or below average ones.

Answered above.

Yup, although these past few years, I've had to have someone else get on them--and the ones that are too small for me, I have to have someone else do it (but I supervise every step of the way and am usually the person at the babies' heads).

I always find one (having moved a lot, alas, I've had quite a few over time, but I never go without for long!). I believe this is a HUGE thing that breeders simply don't respect enough (except those who get out there and do it). IMO, you just can't succeed in selling into in most sports (maybe dressage is the exception) without a trainer/agent repping you. You need that relationship (it's also good to get a second opinion on what you've produced, no matter how confident you are!).

I've never sold anything to a breeder. I don't breed the bloodlines others want to breed. Except for myself, what I produce is the end, not the means to the end, so-to-speak.

Competitive show home (or BNT show home, even if the owner might not actually be that competitive). It's all about contacts, contacts, contacts. I think each sale should help the next sale happen, if possible!

Trainers and agents. Almost never ads, except for the cheap ones.

Are you internet savvy?
    Weak question, compared to your other ones, which I'm glad you posted. I will enjoy hearing others' views and experiences concerning them!

Actually, another useful/interesting question you might have asked is: How often do you go to competitions in the discipline(s) you breed for (as a competitor, owner or even just spectator)?
    Sportponies Unlimited
    Athletic Thoroughbred crosses for the highly motivated, smaller rider.

Yes, I mainly do dressage these days but hope to event again in a year or so. I also trail and pleasure ride and am interested in endurance. Our Colonial Spanish horses excel in endurance and some are very talented for dressage and eventing also.

Do you compete in said discipline? If so, at what level? Have you ridden/competed in said discipline at some point in your life? If so, at what level?

I have competed through 2nd level in dressage and have FEI aspirations (don't we all?). In eventing, I competed for 20 years through Championship training level...never quite made it to Prelim in competition..very close though and have schooled that level.

I love to sell them as weanlings when I can.

Yes, I am prepared to keep all the horses I breed if necessary.

Yes, I do and I start babies for others also.

No, I am the trainer mainly but do work with an FEI rider. I have an outstanding FEI talented filly that I may give to my trainer to compete wth at some point.

Yes, nearly all of them.

Both. I want to see them shown but I care more that they have a home for life.

Probably a combination of the above...online, word of mouth, reputation and some from my expos and promotion that I've done.

Are you internet savvy?

Reasonably so.

I no longer do, but did competitively in my youth. My daughter now does.

Yes. See question #1.

Have you ridden/competed in said discipline at some point in your life? If so, at what level? See #1

While by it's mother's side.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Not necessarily.

A(it should go without saying that any sale should be to a good home, but not usually one for life due to changes in the rider)

Are you internet savvy?
    Absolutely.
    Randee Beckman ~Otteridge Farm, LLC (http://on.fb.me/1iJEqvR)~ Marketing Manager - The Clothes Horse

Yes, we do jumpers, hunters and some dressage

Yes, I compete in the high AO jumpers with one of our breed horses. And also compete in the hunters if we have a hunter. Started in Dressage but that was a long time ago.

See above

Whenever, we prefer to sell them under saddle like that we can see how our product has developed.

Are you set up to raise the filly or colt to age 3?Yes.

Yes, I do.

Do you have a trainer lined up to campaign your mature riding stock?Yes, I campaign all our horses.

Are your buyer(s) generally riders?In general, yes.

What do you value more when selling? A) Show home B) Home for life C) Both D) Neither, as a sale is a saleWe would like it to be C, but a sale is a sale

What is your most successful selling tool? A) Online Ads B) Print Ads C) Word of Mouth D) Reputation E) Other, please elaborateA combination of word of mouth, reputation and online ads.

Are you internet savvy?
    Yes

Do you currently ride in the discipline that you bred this foal for? No, Too many show nerves and health issues

Do you compete in said discipline? If so, at what level? I aim for the eventing or jumper market. I'm more of a dressage rider

Have you ridden/competed in said discipline at some point in your life? If so, at what level? Showed at lower level, but schooled higher

At what age do you hope to sell the foal? Being new to breeding, we realize most will be with us until under saddle and hopefully we'll get better known and be able to sell younger.

Are you set up to raise the filly or colt to age 3? Yes, however, all colts are gelded before 1 year as we are not set up for colts/stallions.

Do you start your own young stock? No
    Do you have a trainer lined up to campaign your mature riding stock? Yes
    Are your buyer(s) generally riders? Yes

These days, I don't think there is a forever home (too much can change in ones life), I look for good, loving homes with showing as a bonus.

A
    Are you internet savvy? Yes
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

Not right now. Too many injuries and surgeries ala Pwynn. Plus, my job takes up too much of my time right now.

Not right now. See above and below. But the horses are getting out and getting show records

Yes, dressage. Shown successfully through 2nd level and schooled 3rd and 4th.

Jumpers no. I have a professional trainer that takes the horses and trains/competes them once I've gotten the foundation on them if they look like they'd rather jump.

Even though it costs more to keep and raise them, I raise them right. You can get more value out of them once they're under saddle as well. I'd rather keep them 'til 3 or 4 and sell them with 'good credentials' - i.e. a combination of good pedigree, known relatives, proper raising and starting and something of a show record.

Yes, and although I do advertise some of the foals, I'm not at all comfortable selling them as most people board and you can not keep babies in a stall all day.

I can do all the gound work, but I'm getting too old and brittle to ever again be the first one on their backs. I do monitor and make suggestions, though and coach/reinforce the trainer/rider at shows.

3-4yo's, yes. I hope not to have any longer than that. And I hope if I can fully recover from injuries and surgeries, like Pwynn, that I can take over the ride on them at some point.

So far.

Competitive show home would be best as that would be advertising for what I produce.

Online ads, website, trainer, not necessarily in that order. Sometimes one method works better sometimes another - except print ads - have only ever gotten even one reply- ever. Definitely not worth it in my experience.

Are you internet savvy?
    Oh yeah!
    Tranquility Farm - Proud breeder of Born in the USA Sport Horses, and Cob-sized Warmbloods
    Now apparently completely invisible!

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

Yes, primarily Dressage, a wee bit of CT, might throw a western or endurance saddle on, might take them to a round-and-round local (hunter) show occasionally.

Yes, or at least until this year's economy! Last outing was at first, was s'posed to be bringing out the stallion at Third this year.

Have ridden the fancy stuff on trained horses, did the YR thing (though not on a big level due to finances, but trained/rode the tests) Am by no means recognizeable in the sport

Suckling or weanling.

Yes, but I don't rebreed if I have anything for sale.

I *can* and have as recently as last year. Sitting on two right now I'm not the most eager to start since my back injury.

No. I ride with a fairly BNT and have for years. But I can't afford to put them in training or to have them shown.

Yes, all but one of mine have gone to people with some experience who are ready to raise their first 'foal of their own.'

What do you value more when selling? A) Show home B) Home for lifeC) Both D) Neither, as a sale is a sale
    I will give a better price to a show home, as it's the best form of advertising. But the RIGHT home is KEY for me, and much more important than the sale price itself. I do payments to the RIGHT home.

I had two sell because the people knew another one I sold. It was based on the first one's temperament, mind, movement etc.

Are you internet savvy?
    Yes and no. I get around, and can do website stuff, but I don't really have the $oftware to keep my own website very current. (NOTE TO SELF!!!!! ) For me it's a tool for learning more than selling, though approx 1/2 my sales have been via the 'net.
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

I'm not breeding anymore, but if I was, these would be my answers.

Yes.

No. I don't compete at all, but have my horses out with trainers who do compete.

Yes. Again, not competed, but I have done a bit of dressage, hunters, and eventing.

The ideal is to sell them at weaning or before. It doesn't always work out though. My first foal sold one week before her 3rd birthday. I still have the second one, who is my personal riding horse. The third foal sold before weaning.

No, mine were raised at a fellow breeder's farm.

No, but we have a very good Y/H starter about 15 minutes away.

Yes. I have both my dressage horses in training with an excellent trainer. The same Y/H starter I mentioned above is also a h/j trainer, so I have that base covered also.

Yes.

B is preferable, although it's fun if they want to show also.

B - Print ads in a regional publication worked well for me.

Are you internet savvy?
    Very.

Yes. Eventing/Foxhunting

I will be starting up again next year. Will be a young horse, so novice and building back up.

Yes, I've done a hodge podge. Mini Prix jumpers (about 4'6"), Training level eventing, and second level dressage. Nothing monumental. I loff riding out with the hounds, that is my "passion" if I had to have one.

2.5 years or older, started under saddle

Yes

Yes

Nope

Yes

Good home. I don't expect a home for life on a youngster, it just seems like a rarity, ESPECIALLY with show horses. And a show home is not a must, if the person wants a pleasure horse or a hunter I am more than fine with that.

Are you internet savvy?

Yes

yes
    yes
    yes, used to compete in jumpers/eqs up to 4'0 level, have competed to small tour level dressage, now still competing in dressage only.
    by 3 years old
    yes
    I can, but will probably send them to someone
    yep
    yep
    show home is the most ideal
    word of mouth works best for me
    Are you internet savvy?
    sort of

I've just started into the breeding thing myself, but these are my aspirations!

I'll answer the last question 1st, I'm not very internet savvy since I can't do all the one line quotes ect to answer these questions, so I will answer in a different way.

No I don't currently compete in the discipline my horses are bred for. I'm ok to do local shows and nothing important, competition for fun more like! I have been fortunate to learn from some of the world's best, I take lessons when doing serious work. For basic schooling, I'm good. I can take a younster over a younster course and have done the Future Event Horse League on youngsters, but if I will use a pro on anything we need to do the job well!

So yes, have someone to compete our horses for us, but only as far as meeting at shows, they will have to be schooled with me and stay with me.

We start all our youngstock and youngstock for others as well.

Sometimes our buyers aren't riders. They like having a horse in competition.

I want my horses to have a show home, of course, but it needs to be a decent home. All horses can come back if need be. If something happens to them and they need "rid" of them I try to ensure they can contact me.

At the moment word of mouth is how we sell, but really, I'm not on a huge scale of breeding like some of the rest of you. I can keep what I breed without worrying about can I keep them or not.

Most important for me is to try and make my mare. I sold one of her children as a foal, he was started here, and he just left last week to go to his show home at 3. I try and set a reasonable price for a client so they have the option of keeping the youngsters here rather than turned out in a bog until they are 4 with no handling and no basics. The foal from my mare died this year and that leaves me with the 2yo. We will have someone show her for us as we think she has some talent. But she won't get to show she has any talent if I ride her and mess it up! She will never leave our place unless going to a show. I will take lessons and our guy will be involved in this process.

Hope that answers some questions.

Terri
    COTH, keeping popcorn growers in business for years.

"I need your grace to remind me to find my own." Snow Patrol-Chasing Cars. This line reminds me why I have horses.

I am breeding hunters and I currently ride and show ranging from AA shows to local schooling shows depending on which horse needs to go.

Currently competing my 6 year old in the A/A hunters, aiming next year for the A/O's for me and the 1st years with a pro. Also showing my OTTB mare at local shows for mileage. My 5 year old is at A shows with a trainer.

Yes, AO hunters, 3'6" medals, up to level 4 jumpers, West Coast AA shows.

Generally at 5 or beyond as going show horses with show records. Would sell earlier if buyers were interested.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

The intent is to sell to show homes. The 2 year old that was sold was sold to a hunter trainer.

A) I breed mine to be successful show horses for the amateur or junior.

What is your most successful selling tool A) Online Ads B) Print Ads C) Word of Mouth D) Reputation E) Other, please elaborate
    E). Sold a 2 year old to a friend who is a trainer. Others are for sale through trainers.

Are you internet savvy?
    I can get to the Chronicle BB's and I can Google, does that count?

Not anymore - back, knee and ankle problems ended my riding days.

Not anymore, but I did compete in dressage for many years.

I competed through third level and rode a schoolmaster through the GP moves, but cannot claim to have been proficient at that level by any stretch. Wish I could. I have had the opportunity to watch some of the best, clinic with superb teachers and to train my eye over quite a few years. That has been invaluable in evaluating prospective mares and my youngsters as they have matured. I also listen to my trainer's opinion and that of fellow respected breeders.

I have often sold weanlings. I love to keep them longer than that, though. Raising babies from weaning to three needs a certain amount of experience and horse savvy. This year's colts are all planned to be keepers until they go under saddle, as are two 2006 models and a 2007 filly. It is hard to put that kind of time and $$ into them, and it is also a big gamble. If I did not have a wonderful trainer, I would not even try to keep them until they go to work, but I am very lucky in that respect. So, for now, that is my gameplan, unless someone came along and offered a true competition home and great upbringing for one.

Yes.

My wonderful trainer starts them.

Yes, in fact, I just put a 4 year old mare back to work and she will stay in work and compete for the next few years.

Yes

Either A or B, but I admit to hoping to get some of my later youngsters into competitive homes where they will be likely to reach their full potential.

Website, word of mouth, registry link to website, previous happy buyers, and (I hope) a good reputation - not necessarily in that order

Are you internet savvy?
    Yes

Actually, another useful/interesting question you might have asked is: How often do you go to competitions in the discipline(s) you breed for (as a competitor, owner or even just spectator)?
    Very often as an owner, observer, volunteer — for about 3 decades. In prior years, often as a competitor.

Not much any more...since I started breeding...I have no time!

No retired, but discipline was and is dressage.

2nd Level and back in the day I also competed at eventing.

I like to sell at least a couple in utero or soon after they are born. I quite like to keep a couple to put under saddle but they sure add up quickly. So I usually sell if I get the chance.
    Yes
    We start most of our young ponies ourselves and some of our WB's.
    Yes
    Yes
    I take both (a) and (b) into consideration.
    I would say word of mouth and reputation. We have been lucky enough to sell several ponies and horses to the same buyers over the years.
    Are you internet savvy?
    Oh gosh...now your'e asking a difficult question...in a nutshell "no". However I do have two teenage daughters at home that are :-)
    www.trevelyanfarm.com
    Follow us: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Tre...1609022?ref=ts
    Breeders of Sport Horses & New Forest Sport Ponies

DRESSAGE AND JUMPERS. HUNTERS FALL IN THERE, BUT ITS NOT SOMETHING I PLAN TO DO, JUST KINDA HAPPENED TIME TO TIME THAT ONE OF OURS GOES TO A HUNTER BARN.

IMA DRESSAGE JUNKIE BUT NOW WITH TWO YOUNG KIDS, I AM NOT AS ACTIVE AS I WAS 5+ YRS AGO. I HAVE ALSO DONE JUMPERS, HUNTERS AND EVENTING. EVEN SOME WESTERN STUFF TOO *SUSHHHHSSSHH*

YES. I HAVE TRAINED UP TO GRAND PRIX WITH MY TRAINER AND BROUGHT MY OWN HORSES ALONG TO 4TH LEVEL (SO FAR). JUMPERS I STAY BELOW LEVEL 5'S NOW AND HUNTERS, WELL...... I RUN FROM IT, BUT IT KEEPS FINDING ME..... YET IM STILL RUNNING.

ALL OF MY FINANCE PLANS RANGE ON SELLING FOALS AFTER STARTED UNDER SADDLE, IF THEY SELL BEFORE THAN THEN GREAT, IF NOT.... THEN I HAVE BUDGETED FOR IT.

YES, AS I SAID ABOVE.

YES, AS OF NOW I DO. BUT, WHEN I CAN NO LONGER DO IT, I WILL STOP BREEDING. FINDINDG SOMEONE WHO CAN CORRECTLY AND NON FORCEFULLY START BABIES IS HARD TO DO.

YES, I HAVE A SUPER DRESSAGE TRAINER/INSTRUCTOR AND A AWESOME JUMPER TRAINER/COACH.

MOSTLY.

DEPENDS ON THE HORSE

ONLINE AND WORD OF MOUTH HAS BEEN THE BEST. I WILL SAY THAT WHEN I LOOK AT YOUNG STOCK OR HORSES FOR CLIENTS I START BY GOING TO THOSE BREEDERS I TRUST AND RESPECT FIRST. SO REPUTATION IS A BIG KEY TOO AS TRUST AND HONESTY IS HARD TO FIND IN THIS INDUSTRY.

Are you internet savvy?
    VERY
    www.spindletopfarm.net
    Home of Puerto D'Azur - 1998 NA 100 Day Test Champion
    "Charcter is much easier kept than recovered"