The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default confo critique

so I 've posted about my mare with questions, and ideas, as well as ottb typical drama.... I've considered making her a fancy show horse and/or breeding her - the other day, I thought 'hhmmm western showmanship' (well not really)

In all seriousness, she is beautiful (IMO) and an A to A plus mover.. but I haven't really asked about or questioned all her pieces and what makes her nice.
    so now I'd like to hear some of your ideas on conformation. If you were to breed her what would you keep in mind?

Let's see if I can post this link.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...&id=1260453946

Last edited by Glorybee; Jul. 8, 2008 at 08:50 PM. Reason: added pic and clarity of purpose

She's a pretty mare, and doesn't scream 'western' to me. She looks a bit straight in the hocks though, may affect what discipline you ultimately end up training her in.
    I may have been away for a while, but I'm not gone yet!

Crayola posse ~Magenta

thanks! my real plan/goal would be to make her an Adult Ammy horse (hunters).

I think she's lovely. I too don't see a western pleasure horse but can definitely picture her as a hunter. I too think the hocks are a little straight and would like to see a little better connection from neck to wither. Her neck also seems too short for her body, (But that's if I'm being really picky), and maybe it's just the picture. If you go to breed make sure the stallion has a really strong neck and hind end pre-potence. She presents a beatiful picture and is a very feminine, well put together mare.

I especially love her head and eye. She looks like a very kind mare.
    Last edited by misita; Jul. 8, 2008 at 08:54 PM.
    Chris Misita
    www.hiddenvalleyfarms.net Home of Bravo and Warrick!
    To dare; progress comes at this price. All sublime conquests are, more or less, the rewards of daring.
    Victor Hugo

Default another pic.

She is just so beautiful. I still would like to see a little bit more length and substance to her neck, with a better connection to the wither. But that's if I'm being really picky. Overall, she's lovely! But if you go to breed her, I would make sure the stallion is pre-potent for his neck and hind. I really like her and she just screams femininity.
    Chris Misita
    www.hiddenvalleyfarms.net Home of Bravo and Warrick!
    To dare; progress comes at this price. All sublime conquests are, more or less, the rewards of daring.
    Victor Hugo

She is a very pretty girl! I think that it's hard to judge conf from that angle... There was a great thread on here not too long ago on how to take the perfect conf picture - not an easy thing to do!!! I do agree with the other posters based on the pictures though about her hind and neck but she is so beautiful - I am sure she will make you a lovely ammy horse! Any pics of her moving?
    Last edited by RheinlandPfalzSaar; Jul. 8, 2008 at 09:07 PM. Reason: to add...

I agree with the others-I think she's a pretty mare too! Nicely put together so that she presents a pretty picture. I do see the straightness behind, so if she were mine, I would worry that will be her weakness, so I think that is what I would target most to improve on. I'm wondering if her neck is not as short as her back is long? She has a lot of room back there. Personally, I like to see the hunters who are a more compact built with more bone, and since there are so many top hunter stallions out there who are bigger boned themselves, she would probably match up with quite a few! If I had a TB, I would book her to Apiro or Roc USA.

Quote Originally Posted by RheinlandPfalzSaar View Post
    She is a very pretty girl! I think that it's hard to judge conf from that angle... There was a great thread on here not too long ago on how to take the perfect conf picture - not an easy thing to do!!! I do agree with the other posters based on the pictures though about her hind and neck but she is so beautiful - I am sure she will make you a lovely ammy horse! Any pics of her moving?
    yes, taking the conformation pics was much harder than I thought

I think she's a beautiful mare. Maybe a hair long in the back and her hind leg is a little straight which is a fault of a lot of TBs. I love Apiro but he has kind of a long back and seems to throw a longish back. I think Roc USA, Cunningham, Redwine, Popeye K. Just an opinion, good luck whom ever you choose.

She is a pretty girl, but not a photo that you can use to judge conformation. Make sure you stand directly opposite to the middle of the barrel, centered, like where your lower leg would be riding. I usually tell people that when you thnk you are back far enough (towards the rump), take another step.

Quote Originally Posted by Fairview Horse Center View Post
    She is a pretty girl, but not a photo that you can use to judge conformation. Make sure you stand directly opposite to the middle of the barrel, centered, like where your lower leg would be riding. I usually tell people that when you thnk you are back far enough (towards the rump), take another step.
    Now, I can actually see why the angle is wrong! Thanks fairview for the advice. I'll have to try again. Here is a shot of her at the trot. She was not happy about having to run next to me with a bit in her mouth... this angle might be a tad better.

a friend suggested I also add her pedigree for further insight...

http://www.pedigreequery.com/abbys+silver+halo
    Last edited by Glorybee; Jul. 9, 2008 at 09:26 PM. Reason: wrong photo

thanks again for all the input and advice

Just at a quick glance I noticed that her hocks are a tad bit straight and she doesn't have much bone in her legs. I love the headshot you posted of her. Grays are so pretty!

Very nice mare -- the typiness and the grey color probably are from the Al Hattab on her very bottom side. There are probably a number of stallions you could use to get a nice hunter. I wouldn't rule out a Thoroughbred if you are close enough to ship her. I haven't found that "most Thoroughbreds are straight in the stifle or gaskin area" and I've been breeding and owning them long enough to have that opinion!
    PennyG