The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

eventercrazy Guest

Question Tipperary vests

sorry everyone, I accidentally posted this in the hunter/jumper forum.

I have been hearing many different things about the qualifications that the Tipperaries have. I was wondering why they weren't ASTM certified and what level Beta they are is any. Thanks!

According to Bit of Britain:
    The Eventer combines optimum comfort and fit while affording a high level of shock absorption and impact reduction. Tested by Rapra to comply with Beta 7.

My understanding is that it's the design (the seperate foam blocks with spaces between) that is the problem. That said, I am not really worried so much by that, I am more worried about being stepped on or crushed than stabbed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highflyer View Post
    According to Bit of Britain:
    The Eventer combines optimum comfort and fit while affording a high level of shock absorption and impact reduction. Tested by Rapra to comply with Beta 7.

My understanding is that it's the design (the seperate foam blocks with spaces between) that is the problem. That said, I am not really worried so much by that, I am more worried about being stepped on or crushed than stabbed.
    I agree with you, but the problem is, are they going to start making "approved" vests mandatory?
    I am in the market for a new vest for my kid, and don't want to get burned here

From what I've heard, the Rodney Powell vests are definitely worthy competitors to the Tipperarys... e.g., in terms of comfort. They're also ASTM/SEI and BETA certified (level 3).
    -my life-
    Translation
    fri [fri:] fritt fria (adj): Free
    skritt [skrit:] skritten (noun): Walk

body in charlottesville VA, heart in Ocala FL

Quote Originally Posted by FrittSkritt View Post
    From what I've heard, the Rodney Powell vests are definitely worthy competitors to the Tipperarys... e.g., in terms of comfort. They're also ASTM/SEI and BETA certified (level 3).
    My RP is as comfortable if not more so than my Tipp and it is certified!

Yeah, I'm debating whether to get one of those and forget about blowing $500+ on the Woof Exo. Either way, I have to sell my too-big CO first... any takers?
    -my life-
    Translation
    fri [fri:] fritt fria (adj): Free
    skritt [skrit:] skritten (noun): Walk

I have the Rodney Powell and I like it a lot. I think it is the highest rated vest that is not an exo. I haven't worn a Tip for a while so I can't tell how they differ as far as comfort goes. The Rodney Powell molds to the shape of your body once you wear it for a while. I do find it warm but I think they are all like that. I have the shoulder pads but I haven't worn them yet. The Rodney Powell rep claims they prevent a large percentage of collar bone breaks. I think they look stupid though.
    "look deep into his pedigree. Look for the name of a one-of-a-kind horse who lends to his kin a fierce tenacity, a will of iron, a look of eagles. Look & know that Slew is still very much with us."

I rode in a Tipperary for a few years until I saw my friend fall, her horse step square on her chest and her live to talk about it and she was wearing a Charles Owen. Also the Tipperary's don't really provide much in the way of protection over the Ribs. Not that many vests do but the Tipperarys just have laces on the ribs whereas other vests like the Charles owens have better protection. I know that alot of riders don't like the vests like Charles owens' vest but after it saved my friend's life, I got one and love it.

as far as certified vests, i've heard that they want to make the use of certified vests mandatory... eventually.
    Last edited by AirJockey24; Jul. 8, 2008 at 02:27 PM.
    www.teamduke.org/goto/amy.parlett

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway." John Wayne

So, I was looking at Bit of Britian. They sell a vest called air0wear. What do you guys think of it?
    It sure looks comfortable.
    And the price is in keeping with everybody else.....expensive

Quote Originally Posted by AirJockey24 View Post
    I rode in a Tipperary for a few years until I saw my friend fall, her horse step square on her chest and her live to talk about it because she was wearing a Charles Owen. Had she been wearing the Tipperary, the weight of the horse on her chest would have killed her.
    Are there studies to back this up?
    Amwrider: May the fleas of a thousand camels infest their genitalia and may their arms be too short to scratch.

sorry... no i probablly shouldn't have said that with out anything to back it up with other than my own theory about the weight distribution across the vest. Don't mean to offend anyone. What I'm drawing from is what I've seen and expirenced.

I pretty much compare it to walking across a bed of nails. If you were to step on one nail, you will have a puncture on the bottom of your foot. If you were to step on a bed of nails, you'd likely have pin pricks, but since your weight is being distributed across the bed of nails, you more than likely wouldn't have a puncture. Apply this concept to the vests, if a hoof was to come down onto 4-5 blocks of a tipperary, the weight is restricted to that one area because the blocks are isolated by fabric. If a hoof were to come down on a vest similar to the Charles owen (not restricted to just that kind of course) that's a solid piece, the composition of the material and the fact that its one soild piece, would allow the weight to disperse across the vest and therefore would not be concentrated in one area.
    Last edited by AirJockey24; Jul. 8, 2008 at 03:10 PM.
    www.teamduke.org/goto/amy.parlett

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway." John Wayne

Default time for new vest/where to try Rodney Powell

Well, I have a couple questions

I have an old style Tipperary - no laces, but does have the blocked foam. I bought it used 9 years ago - what is the lifespan of these things? I've only had two minor falls - kind of slipped off and thudded into mud.

Next question - I am in MD - anywhere to go try on a Rodney Powell???

thanks!

In my travels on the net, I noticed that vto on the net sells the rodney Powell.

I rode in a Tipperary for a few years until I saw my friend fall, her horse step square on her chest and her live to talk about it because she was wearing a Charles Owen. Had she been wearing the Tipperary, the weight of the horse on her chest would have killed her.
    Thanks for clarifying on this statement, as I can attest that the human body is a pretty amazing thing, having been squarely landed on by a horse (horse was landing from a jump), and having lived to tell about it (with some broken ribs and a punctured lung).
    Founder, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous
    Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

I ride in an Intec Flex Rider, it looks like it would be uncomfortable, but it really is cool, comfortable, and is ASTM/SEI and BETA approved. I wear it pretty much every time I ride, and it has molded to my body well. The mesh lining helps it to stay cool even on warm SoCal summer days. My next vest will be a Charles Owen, because you can have them in custom colors.
    Proudly Owned By Sierra, 2003 APHA/ PtHA Mare

eventercrazy Guest

Thanks for the info. Does anyone know the current Beta level the Tipp eventers are?

The tipp vests with the block design are not currently beta rated, they are only rated under the previous standards which I believe they were level 7. The current levels are the beta 2000 standard, levels 1-3. The level 3 is the rating that is used for eventing vests.
    Freedom is the ability not to care what the other person thinks...

Got air?! Member of the Asthmatic Riders Clique

oh wow!!! i love how the RP vests come in color combos!!! how neat!!!

too bad i didn't realize this BEFORE the VTO sale ended.... hmmm. how long til december???