The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Color question -dapple grey vs. bay

What color do you think our colt will be? His Mom is as you see. His sire is chestnut...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aspen and ditto day 5.JPG 
Views:	163 
Size:	88.0 KB 
ID:	21661  

That's a beautiful picture, and the mom is such a gorgeous dapple gray. How old is she?

I can't tell anything from the pic but I've always heard to look for white hair on the face to tell if a foal will turn gray.

Hi - we can't really tell by that picture, since it's so dark ? My experience has been that if the foal doesn't have any grey hairs around their face or eyes (which is the obvious sign), they may still develop them in a couple months. My filly was born almost black with some brown hairs in her body, so I was sure she would stay dark, but more experienced people could tell she would grey because she was born SO dark ?

EllenAspen is offline Working Hunter Premium Member
    Original Poster

grayarabpony - she is 9...we got her when she was 5...she really has lightened up a lot since then.

Here is another photo of the colt...maybe it is a little lighter.

Name:	ditto day 5.JPG 
Views:	144 
Size:	82.1 KB 
ID:	21662  

Im gonna say he will stay bay
    Check out my Equine Genetics Blog! Updated April 25th with Splashed White!!!
    http://equinegenetics.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by RiddleMeThis View Post
    Im gonna say he will stay bay
    Me too. The reason I/we say that is most of the time, a foal who is going to go gray is born his adult color. So, since he's obviously a bay, if he were going to go gray, he would have his black legs when born, not the mousey/tannish color they are when the foal is going to stay bay.

Likewise, if he were black, he'd be mousy if he was going to stay black, but be born *black* if he was going to subsequently gray out.

Original Poster

thanks all...would really love the color of his Mom...but, if it is bay...that is OK too.

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Me too. The reason I/we say that is most of the time, a foal who is going to go gray is born his adult color. So, since he's obviously a bay, if he were going to go gray, he would have his black legs when born, not the mousey/tannish color they are when the foal is going to stay bay.

Likewise, if he were black, he'd be mousy if he was going to stay black, but be born *black* if he was going to subsequently gray out.

My 08 filly was born mousy legs and tannish/mousy body. She is now very much greying so nothing is fool proof, lol. My biggest indicator is grey around the eyes, even a few hairs close to the lids, seems to be a big hint of grey.

Quote Originally Posted by okggo View Post
    My 08 filly was born mousy legs and tannish/mousy body. She is now very much greying so nothing is fool proof, lol. My biggest indicator is grey around the eyes, even a few hairs close to the lids, seems to be a big hint of grey.
    Right, hence my saying "most of the time"

Right, hence my saying "most of the time"
    Yup, agreed. I just happened to have an exception, I thought we had black but now she is entering the moth eating grey splotchy mess phase.

Your guy is the same color as mine so I vote grey

Original Poster

Yup, agreed. I just happened to have an exception, I thought we had black but now she is entering the moth eating grey splotchy mess phase.
    At what age did she enter the moth eating grey splotchy mess phase?

Just now, and she was born April 25th. Her head is almost black and her chest is grey and her body is still mousy brown and sunbleached. Bleck!

I had a dark bay filly out of my dk bay mare and by a gray stallion last year. Too bad I can't post pics here. She had no white hairs around eyes. Her muzzle looked a tad light at times. She had black legs but one hind had a strange oatmeal colour "sock", don't know what else to call it. That was my suspicion right there of her turning gray. As she grew she started roaning out in her body. Her muzzle on up is going lighter. She has a nice dark colour base coat but the grays are coming in. So, she had the black legs and is turning gray. Also, the oatmeal sock is turning white at the bottom.
    I love the face markings on your colt. He is very pretty or handsome?? :-) My bet is that he will stay bay due to the light colour on his canon bones. Your mare has gorgeous dapples, very beautiful.
    Dark Horse Farm

My 05 grey had the black legs, this ones were much lighter.

http://s264.photobucket.com/albums/i...t=DSCN3771.jpg after birth, she is still a bit wet but you can see her legs are def. not black.

http://s264.photobucket.com/albums/i...t=IMG_4220.jpg and this one dried off.

I should probably take some recent pics as I don't have any, but her head has shed out black and her chest is starting to shed grey. Your guy just seems to have a silvery glow to him, but maybe that is just the picture coloring?

Original Poster

okggo

Wow - your filly and my colt look very much a like at birth. Yes...he does have a silvery glow to him.

Name:	ditto day 1.JPG 
Views:	62 
Size:	77.5 KB 
ID:	21663  

I love your mare's color -- my little Half Arabian mare will be 9 next month and she's been pure white (well, with flea bites) for 2 years. I love her but flea-bitten gray isn't my favorite color. I love the dapple grays and the rose grays that many young gray horses have. I got her when she was 2 and still a dark bay, but her original owner knew she was gray when she was born because of the white hair on her face. If more grays kept their color/ dapples the way yours has I'd like gray a lot better.

Very cute foal!

Quote Originally Posted by okggo View Post
    Oh, but she was so dark after drying off that I would have suspected graying right off the bat

Oh, but she was so dark after drying off that I would have suspected graying right off the bat
    '

Same here
    Check out my Equine Genetics Blog! Updated April 25th with Splashed White!!!
    http://equinegenetics.blogspot.com/