The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default shipping boots for a TB

What does everyone use for their TB's? I'm trying to find something that actually stays up during the trailer ride. Does anyone use a cob size on a TB under 16h? My full size boots start slipping as he's walking into the trailer. I've made them as tight as I can and they still slip. We travel a lot for competitions and I just want him to be safe. Thanks for any help

What a timely thread! I was wondering the same thing. My best bet was to get one of the Dover boots either in a cob size or their cheaper boots which look to be the same as cob sized. My TB is 15.2 so I have the same problem as you with them slipping down.

Default Woof Boots

I like the c/s woof shipping boots. Which are the same price as the Dover boots and they seem to conform to the horses leg rather then just being a stiff sheild around them.

Also what worked for one of my TBs was the cheap Dover Shipping boots. They have about 8 straps down each boot so they aren't going anywhere...just a pain to get on and off when an antsy TB

I was also wondering why they can't make a ventilated shipping boot. It's hotter than hell here in the summer and our poor boys are wearing those foam shipping boots and sweating like crazy.

Have you ever thought about doing a shipping wrap. If done right, it won't slip. Otherwise, see if you can get Lende boots in a cob size.

My TB is 15.3, so he's on the cob/full border That's part of my problem. For all of you who have 15.2/3 h horses, what size do you use? I agree with the ventilated boots. That would be super

I can do the normal bandage type wraps if I'm at the barn in the morning before he goes on the trailer or if I'm hauling him myself but if I'm not there, it takes too long for someone else to do it and I need to provide boots.

Again, same thing for me as NZ. I can't really justify spending $$$ on the Lende, so cheaper is better. Anyone try the Dover boots with the mesh lining? Says it increases breathability but I'm skeptical since the outer material looks the same (is the outer material breathable as well? Doesn't say!).

I have the older dover boots w/ the wider straps. Never had problems with slipping. My new little guy 15'3 small all over fits in the horse size boots I have that my 16'3 big all over guy fits into. But if I was to buy just for him, I guess I would get a Cob.
    "Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson~

The outter shell is the same. Inside has mesh. Not sure what that accomplishes seems like the heat would just get trapped inside the boots.

I have these ones: http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.h...2-00b0d0204ae5 for my mare and they do not slip. She's right at 16.1. I would think they could work for a smaller horse...I could do up the straps tighter, so there a bit of wiggle room there. And they're not expensive!

I have the older Dover ones with 3?- 4? straps, in full size. I've used 'em on TBs from 14.3 to 16.1 with no problem. My little mare's legs weren't really much shorter, just finer, and they're stiff enough not to slip. I do wish they were cooler, though. I like them more than wraps because of the hock coverage--my horse sits on the tailgate the whole ride so I worry about capped hocks if we should have to stop suddenly.

I have the Dover boots with 3 straps (they run about $80 now - $70 when I bought them 5 years ago). Have used them on a 16.2 TB, 16 h porker, and now my 15.1 hand TB - no slipping. I do think shipping bandages offer more protection, but these boots do fine for short hauls, which this time of year happen A LOT!
    ~ it no longer matters what level I do, as long as I am doing it..~ with many thanks, to Elizabeth Callahan

I have the Dover 3 strap ones in cob size for my 15.2 and 15.3 girls (TBx and STBx). They fit great and never slip. The horse size ones were waaaaay too big on both of them.

I have a 15.1 Arab, and I use these in cob size:
    http://www.horseloverz.com/Amigo-Tra...pr-187959.html

I LOVE LOVE LOVE them. They're great (Yes - just like Tony hehe) - even after I throw them in the washer to clean them

I've got a 15.3hh newzealand tb and I use the woof shipping boots... cob size. fit him really well.
    www.teamduke.org/goto/amy.parlett

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway." John Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by AirJockey24 View Post
    I've got a 15.3hh newzealand tb and I use the woof shipping boots... cob size. fit him really well.
    Yep, use them on my youngster and they fit great!
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

These are great ideas. I'll go with the Dover or woof but now I need to know if I should get a cob or a full!!

We have Dover shipping boots, which work well, and I think the cob size would work well on our smaller ones. But, in all honesty, I've been wrapping lately, and prefer it. A)They can sleep in them (either the night before or on arrival) B) They are far easier to wash and C) They look snazzy

I also like that our guys with lots of mileage on their legs get a little extra support. And if you suck at a proper shipping wrap like I do, you can always stick bell boots on if you are worried about their heels/shoes.

My 15.3 TB has full size Woof shipping boots and they're great and don't slip... the Dover ones seemed to stiff to me.