The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Eventers in Missouri

Hey there!

I am currently in the ideal eventing area - Area 2. I'm extremely happy where I'm at, love the paper chases, horse trials, and local horse community.

However, my fiance wants to possibly move back to Missouri (where he's originally from) and I had lived there a short while in Grundy County and didn't have a clue as to what to do with my horses! I already stated I probably won't go back there. We would live a 150 miles out of Kansas City and 250 miles away from St. Louis.

However, I am looking for any eventers in the Missouri area to talk to that can tell me what there is that maybe I just couldn't find when I lived there! SO... I'd like to network and make associates or friends in the area that can discuss the eventing opportunities in Missouri with me - and I would also love opinions on if the people of Missouri would be interested in equine sports massage therapy for their competitive horses!!

I'd appreciate any Show Me residents to show me that there might be a possibilty.
    http://www.massageforequines.com
    Massage, braiding, and clipping services...

www.usea4.org is the homepage for Area IV. I live 1 hour south of St. Louis. I have friends out where you're talking about and we have quite an active group in St. Louis, several of whom frequent this site.

Come on in! The water's fine!

Blue

I am the organizer of Queeny Park Horse Trials held in St. Louis, MO. There are lots of places to go in KS and MO and IL, and active groups across the state.

PM me and I'll add you to the Queeny Park email list to keep you apprised of what's going on in St. Louis, and point you to other sites you may want to check out in Area IV!

Painted One,
    I send out & keep up a website with the majority of eventing, dressage & associated shows & clinics in both Area IV and Area V. You can check out what's happening on the calendar on the website below. PM me your e-mail & you can get a monthly update. The folks in Missouri (CDCTA in Columbia & MACTA in KC) are great - you'll probably want to contact Painted Wings and Abrownhorse for more local info.
    Welcome to Area IV!
    Brock
    Brock n. (Anglo-Saxon) badger as in Brockenhurst, Brocklebank etc www.area35.us

St. Louis here! There is a pretty good base of horsey people in St. Louis, and it seems like Kansas City too. In St. Louis there is Queeny Park, in Kansas City there is Heritage park and Longview Horse Park, in Illinois there is Dunnabeck HT. I know I am forgetting some too .

DEFINATELY let devcubber put you on her email list, Queeny is GREAT!

Hey we are few but friendly. There is a great group in KC and then the crazies in St. Louis. I think there are those in KC that stalk some in St. Louis. Or at least that's what I read on the internet so it must be true.

Anyway, you'll be far from anywhere with the price of gas and diesel what it is. Still we have a good time with what we have.

The Queeny Park, Longview, Dunnabeck, Heritage, and Longview facilities are all great.
    -Painted Wings

Set youself apart from the crowd, ride a paint horse, you're sure to be spotted

I'll vouch again for Queeny Park. We rode there again last weekend.

Welcome to the neighborhood!

Are there many starter horse trials to school novice horses at before recognized events?

Do you all generally event once or twice a month?

Are there any facilities with open xc courses for schooling (although I know it would be a hike to do so)?

How about jumper shows? And combined tests?

Now, do you all tend to travel with another competitior or do you suck up the gas prices yourselves?

I appreciate all of your information. Please send e-mails to jumpers307@yahoo.com and let's talk!!

abrownhorse is also in MO. She has a really cool private farm. Don't have her website handy.

Quote Originally Posted by Hannahsmom View Post
    abrownhorse is also in MO. She has a really cool private farm. Don't have her website handy.
    http://www.stoneridgeeventing.com

Are there many starter horse trials to school novice horses at before recognized events? Queeny park hosts a mini event and offers a starter novice course at their recognized event. There's another local private farm or two who host unrecognized events which are especially beneficial for greenies.

Do you all generally event once or twice a month? I did. Some do more. I've evented in Area III, V, and VIII as well as IV...WHILE LIVING IN ST. LOUIS!

Are there any facilities with open xc courses for schooling (although I know it would be a hike to do so)? QP. There's another course in IL which has chosen to not host any events for awhile but several of our members have an "in" there and can school there on appointment. Play nice and you'll get to come too! Also, there's Hunter Oaks which puts on a few really good clinic/CT combinations (Jim Graham) and a HT in the fall.

How about jumper shows? And combined tests? Yep. St. Louis offers a series at a really cool indoor facility, check MHSA and MOHJO for information, Columbia hosts HJ shows too, I think.

Now, do you all tend to travel with another competitior or do you suck up the gas prices yourselves? We travel in packs like wild dogs. PaintedWings is right about the STL group being the crazies and only the bravest of the KC group dare to hang with us!

Thumbs up

I just moved to Jefferson City, MO 3 weeks ago from Charlottesville, VA. The change is a bit of a shock -- as in, the closest tack store is 30 minutes away, and not even really a tack store. Just Tractor Supply. Charlottesville had multiple tack stores 5-10 minutes from my house/barn, and a Dover Saddlery was one of them! Having to order bell boots from a catalogue this past week made me shudder, but I bore it well and survived.

But I have managed to find a wonderful stable here in Missouri, not far from the city, and with eventers! Moving to the (seeming) middle of nowhere was painful, but it's really not so bad now that I'm here. The countryside is (almost) as pretty as Virginia, the horse people at my barn are just as nice (if not nicer!) as any horse people I've ever encountered, and best of all, board is much cheaper than in Virginia. I could never afford to keep my horse at a nice place with an indoor ring in VA, but now I can! Hay is incredibly cheap, too, though this year it's supposedly more expensive than ever before. Still cheaper than Charlottesville!

I haven't been here long enough to experience any eventing outside of the barn where I've got my boy, but it doesn't look all that bleak. I know an eventer over in Kansas City, and I know there is some sort of big dressage show up in Columbia. I think someone mentioned that in an above post.

Sorry if I can't be too much help, but I can assure you that the move from East Coast eventing to Mid-Missouri eventing isn't as terrifying as it may seem at first. Except for the tack store problem.

Also, I collected these links before I moved out here. Perhaps they would be helpful to you as well:

The Mid-America Combined Training Association
    http://www.macta.info/index.html

Columbia Dressage and Combined Training Association
    http://www.cdcta.org/

Missouri Dressage Association
    http://www.missouridressage.org/Home.htm

Area IV Homepage
    http://www.usea4.org/index.htm

Missouri Horse Show Association
    http://www.missourihorseshowsassociation.com/

And I used Grand-Champion Horse Transportation to get Mocha shipped over here. They were great and took care of Mocha, calling me both days to let me know how he was doing.
    http://www.grand-champion.com

Quote Originally Posted by Painted Wings View Post
    Hey we are few but friendly. There is a great group in KC and then the crazies in St. Louis. I think there are those in KC that stalk some in St. Louis. Or at least that's what I read on the internet so it must be true.

Anyway, you'll be far from anywhere with the price of gas and diesel what it is. Still we have a good time with what we have.

The Queeny Park, Longview, Dunnabeck, Heritage, and Longview facilities are all great.
    And don't forget the southernmost Area IV venue - Briar Fox Farm (it only feels like an Area V venue when the OKies take over). Only about 4 hours from the Ozarks!
    Brock

Anything close to Grundy County?

I am also looking for a reputable trainer in the area or close facility for work or schooling....

I guess the move is almost impossible to avoid if I want to stay with my other half.

As an unrelated question, are there any racetracks or training farms for race horses near Grundy County? I love to exercise racehorses and would love to find a local place to do that at also.

Default Finally chiming in!

abrownhorse, here..finally checking the COTH board after a bit of a hiatus. AKA..busy week at work and home.

Welcome to Area IV! I moved to Springfield, MO (SW part of the state) 5 years ago from Rocky Mount, NC. It took awhile to adjust to the longer drives, 2 day horse trials and lack of nearby fellow eventers. You'll learn to love it eventually!

I just googled Grundy county and found out it is in the northeastern/north central portion of the state. Eeeks!

Have you considered trying to get info on the Omaha, NE crowd and the Ames/Des Moines, IA crew? I think you'd be within a reasonable drive, though 150 to KC is pretty darn good, given the situation.

We're a large and diverse group of eventers, but it just makes for interesting weekends at the horse trials. Think family reunion! We chat on-line using the Area IV Yahoo Group a bit as well.

Would love to chat more with you!

Cynthia
    http://www.stoneridgeeventing.com

Painted1,
    If you're that far north, I'd suggest contacting Camstock aka Cammie Stockhausen who is just over the border in Iowa. Her website, Field Day, is at www.camstock.net.

Your nearest recognized event may well be up at Catalpa Corners (www.catalpacorner.org) which is near Iowa City.
    Brock

After looking up Grundy Cty, you're nearest recognized events will probably be Longview & Heritage in Kansas City area - should be easy drive since you'll be close to I-35. Welcome to Misery, I mean Missouri.

There is a good scene here and plenty of oppurtunities. There are many places to school XC and there are alot of good schooling shows that are cheap to get into the jumper ring. Good Luck!

I appreciate all of the responses and kind suggestions for information links!

How do you feel a facility for training and selling sporthorses would fair? Do you all buy horses locally or nationwide?

THANKS again!

Default Hard to tell

The horse market is rather soft right now everywhere. I don't see how anyone makes any money off of horses. We are in dire need of good eventing trainers which is why it is a great thing that Holekamps did hosting the ICP program at their farm. Kansas City at least had some eventing trainers. It's tough in St. Louis. Hard to have much growth when there are no trainers to bring the people along. Then those people arent' shopping for horses. I think there is more market in dressage horses.
    -Painted Wings

Set youself apart from the crowd, ride a paint horse, you're sure to be spotted